Exploud Choice specs
Ev: hp:252 spa:252 def:4
Nature: modest
Ability: soundproof
-Boom burst
-surf
-flamethrower
-thunder bolt

Dual boombursts with explouds hitting much harder. You can also use choice scarf to up his speed but, there powers alone just wrecks. And is definatly my favorite combo to do this gen

I've found that tailwind on noivern works well, also I'm somewhat hesitant to run choice specs on exploud without better coverage on noivern. Interestingly enough, noivern can learn flamethrower to mess with the steel and steel/fairy types that wall this combo. Noivern also gets focus blast, psychic, shadow ball and dark pulse, but there's not really a place to put them. Also the only rock type you're going to run into often is tyranitar and maybe carbink.

I'd say

Noivern @ yache berry
Evs: spa:252 spe:252 hp:4
Nature: Timid
Ability: Telepathy
-boomburst
-tailwind
-dragon pulse
-air slash

Exploud @ Metronome
-Boom burst
-surf
-flamethrower
-thunder bolt

this set lets exploud take care of coverage, while still allowing it to get off some nice boombursts if it wants to, and the tailwind lets exploud outspeed anything with less than 172 speed

I've found that tailwind on noivern works well, also I'm somewhat hesitant to run choice specs on exploud without better coverage on noivern. Interestingly enough, noivern can learn flamethrower to mess with the steel and steel/fairy types that wall this combo. Noivern also gets focus blast, psychic, shadow ball and dark pulse, but there's not really a place to put them. Also the only rock type you're going to run into often is tyranitar and maybe carbink.

I'd say

Noivern @ yache berry
Evs: spa:252 spe:252 hp:4
Nature: Timid
Ability: Telepathy
-boomburst
-tailwind
-dragon pulse
-air slash

Exploud @ Metronome
-Boom burst
-surf
-flamethrower
-thunder bolt

this set lets exploud take care of coverage, while still allowing it to get off some nice boombursts if it wants to, and the tailwind lets exploud outspeed anything with less than 172 speed
Thanks for the advise! I really like the build suggestions all though i do like having draco meteor to combo with malamars topsy turvy. I may change it up to that. This does make exploud more lethal!

Thanks for the advise! I really like the build suggestions all though i do like having draco meteor to combo with malamars topsy turvy. I may change it up to that. This does make exploud more lethal!
Ok yeah, if you run a malamar then draco meteor is probably the better option. a +2 noivern with tailwind would turn into a sweeping machine

I found a fairly similar strategy to you Zarnick151.

Greninja @ Lum Berry/Focus Sash/ Life Orb
Naive/ Protean
252 Spe/ 252 SpA / 4 HP
- Dark Pulse/ Ice Beam/Grass Knot/Extrasensory
- Surf
- Protect
- Mat Block

Greninja. That's all that needs to be said. Surf is an awesome spread move, Mat Block and Protect for protection, and one more move for coverage. Lum Berry is viable since most people will probably want to cripple it, though focus sash has its own perks.

Exploud @ Life Orb/Silk Scarf/Metronome
Modest/ Scrappy
252 HP/ 252 SpA / 4 Def
- Boomburst
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball/Ice Beam
- Protect

No Choice Specs since this set requires alot of mobility in movesets. Anyways, similar strategy. Use Mat Block to fire off a Powerful Boomburst that will 2HKO most unresisted pokemon, and then proceed to use combinations of Protect with another Boomburst or Surf. Use other moves when convenient.

Weaknesses include Wide Guard, Status inflicters, Priority users (Looking at Mach Punch) and Pokemon faster than Greninja, though the last one can be played around the most using protect and such.

As for teammates, Telepathy Musharna works WONDERS as it can switch in to an attack from either partner. Very bulky, has helping hand so that moves hit even harder, and can even work as a counter to Trick Room Teams.

Thoughts?

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
As for teammates, Telepathy Musharna works WONDERS as it can switch in to an attack from either partner. Very bulky, has helping hand so that moves hit even harder, and can even work as a counter to Trick Room Teams.

Thoughts?
Two.

1. Musharna isn't VGC2014 legal.
2. Fake Out and Taunt will completely disrupt this plan in its entirety. As Mat Block has +0 priority, Fake Out is guaranteed to bypass Greninja's Mat Block (or worse Fake Out Greninja directly, preventing Mat Block at all). Meanwhile Exploud isn't exactly the fastest Pokemon on the block, nor is it the bulkiest; without a Choice Scarf it risks being outsped by just about everything, and is 2HKO'd by just about anything in return.

Looks good on paper, but in practice I have my doubts.

Two.

1. Musharna isn't VGC2014 legal.
2. Fake Out and Taunt will completely disrupt this plan in its entirety. As Mat Block has +0 priority, Fake Out is guaranteed to bypass Greninja's Mat Block (or worse Fake Out Greninja directly, preventing Mat Block at all). Meanwhile Exploud isn't exactly the fastest Pokemon on the block, nor is it the bulkiest; without a Choice Scarf it risks being outsped by just about everything, and is 2HKO'd by just about anything in return.

Looks good on paper, but in practice I have my doubts.
Yeah, I guess it would be good for Leads with no Fake Out and Such, but even then those are pretty prevelant. Heck I didn't even realize that alot of the pokes I wanted to use for this team weren't even legal...just assumed it was any Pokemon found in-game, not just in the regional dex.

Hey dude, I would actually recommend giving Protect to Exploud. Exploud isn't that bulky and most things will 2HKO, And trust me, Protect+Tailwind is an fantastic combo.

Talonflame
Item: Life Orb / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Nature: Adamant (+Atk -SpA)
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Protect

Smeargle
Item: Focus Sash / Wide Lens
Ability: Own Tempo / Moody
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dark Void
- Parting Shot / Memento / Baton Pass
- Magic Coat / Mat Block
- King's Shield / Spiky Shield / Protect

The main idea is Dark Void Smeargle with Priority Tailwind. You can outspeed anything that doesnt have priority, and since you have Sash they will need either double priority or Prankster Safeguard/Taunt to deal with him.

On Talonflame, once he uses the Tailwind he can start attacking hard. Life Orb and Recoil makes he will die quickly, which can be a good thing considering Tailwind last for only a short amount of time (which would let you bring out something who can abuse Tailwind before it ends). Sitrus Berry can be a good option to counter the Recoil and make him last longer. Protect is needed because you need some way to dodge Fake Out.

On Smeargle, he obviously have way more options. From my own experience, switching him out and bringing a sweeper that can abuse 2/3 turns of Tailwind is the best way to go. Parting Shot is a solid option. Memento is a stronger variant but it will cost you Smeargle. Baton Pass is another alternative, it can work quite well with Moody: turn 1 Protect, turn 2 Dark Void, turn 3 Baton Pass ensures 2 Moody boosts. I personally prefere Parting Shot because Prankster Swagger would otherwise counter this set. Finally, I find Mat Block quite good since you can Tailwind + Mat Block and block anything that isnt priority. However, its not needed and you can use something else instead such as Magic Coat to stop Taunt.

Known checks or counters:
- Prankster Safeguard.
- Double priority.
- Slurpuff.
- Water Shuriken.
- Fake Out + Trick Room.

Tyranitar @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Protect
- Rock Slide
Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

I've found this to be an amazing combo. Pretty much everyone used to will-o-wisp my physical tyranitar, and after that, it was completely useless. So I opted for special instead. Base 95 isn't bad, and it becomes terrifying after it survives a SE hit and gets weakness policy boost. In sandstorm, it easily survives most special special SE hits to activate the WP boost, and Rotom-Wash is there to burn physical attackers and let tyranitar get a boost from that.
Of course, tyranitar needs to watch out for fighting type moves, even with burned pokemon. In those cases, tyranitar can switch out to choice band talonflame. Talonflame receives measly damage from a fighting move, and it can then net a OHKO with brave bird.
A calm nature, specially defensive spread, and sitrus berry let Rotom-W tank a lot of hits and act as a general supportive pokemon while dealing decent damage.

Azumarill @sitrus berry
252 ATK 252 HP 4Spd
Adamant
Huge power

-belly drum
-waterfall
-aqua jet
-play rough

-Amoongus
-252 hp 252 def
-bold
-Regenerator

-Rage powder
-spore
-giga drain
-clear smog

okay so a very simple concept let amoongus get horrrible hurt by using rage powder or if you predict well you may be able to stop a trick room being set up.while this is going on let the beast that is azumarill set up to plus 6.Aqua jet will counter some of the trick room teams.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Garchomp @ Life Orb
156 Atk / 100 SpA / 252 Speed
Naive Nature
Rough Skin / Sand Veil
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast

Jumpluff @ Mental Herb/Yache Berry
252 HP / 60 Def / 196 Speed
Timid Nature
Ability: Infiltrator
-Sleep Powder
-Encore
-Helping Hand
-Protect

I've been using these as a lead combo in WiFi, and it just kicks serious ass. Jumpluff Infiltrator + Sleep Powder means that Safeguard is nullified, and opponents are put to sleep. Helping Hand is there to ensure that some 2HKOs become solid OHKOs. EVs are just enough to always outspeed opposing Jolly Garchomps (theres not many more relevant threats that Jumpluff will outspeed with max speed EVs, and the extra bulk helps). As for Garchomp, its a hyper offensive mixed set; special attack EVs are there to ensure opposing Garchomps are always OHKO'd by Draco Meteor (and a couple other threats I forget), with the rest dumped into speed and attack.

Obviously has issues with ice attacks, especially from Protean Greninja. Also has issues with Talonflame.

I have a feeling that this lead combo is now suddenly going to diminish in effectiveness :>

[
Garchomp @ Life Orb
156 Atk / 100 SpA / 252 Speed
Naive Nature
Rough Skin / Sand Veil
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast

Jumpluff @ Mental Herb/Yache Berry
252 HP / 60 Def / 196 Speed
Timid Nature
Ability: Infiltrator
-Sleep Powder
-Encore
-Helping Hand
-Protect

I've been using these as a lead combo in WiFi, and it just kicks serious ass. Jumpluff Infiltrator + Sleep Powder means that Safeguard is nullified, and opponents are put to sleep. Helping Hand is there to ensure that some 2HKOs become solid OHKOs. EVs are just enough to always outspeed opposing Jolly Garchomps (theres not many more relevant threats that Jumpluff will outspeed with max speed EVs, and the extra bulk helps). As for Garchomp, its a hyper offensive mixed set; special attack EVs are there to ensure opposing Garchomps are always OHKO'd by Draco Meteor (and a couple other threats I forget), with the rest dumped into speed and attack.

Obviously has issues with ice attacks, especially from Protean Greninja. Also has issues with Talonflame.

I have a feeling that this lead combo is now suddenly going to diminish in effectiveness :>
I believe that Togekiss would also be an amazing partner, if it were only allowed. New typing + follow me is basically a dragon immunity for garchomp, while togekiss can also support well with tailwind, helping hand and t-wave. And it still has its infamous flinchhax air slash. Even so, it would still have trouble with ice attacks. A bulkier +sp.def variant might alliviate this, somewhat. Dazzling gleam might also be a good option on more offensive variants. IF TOGEKISS WAS ALLOWED.
TROLLFREAK!

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Scrafty @ chople berry
Intimidate
252hp/252atk/4def
Brave Natured
- Fake out
- Crunch
- Drain Punch
- Detect

Smeargle Focus sash
Moody
252hp/252spe/4def
Timid Nature
0 atk IVS
- Dark Void
- Kings Shield
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

This is a pretty solid lead that I've been using on a tr team since opponents rarely (if ever) have two priority attackers leading off and even if they do, they still suffer from an intimidate drop. General strategy is for scrafty to fake out the opposing priority (unless they have a fake out user as well in which case don't lead with smeargle) to make the priority user flinch and let smeargle get a free dark void if he outspeeds the opponents second mon or at worst be reduced to sash. If he still has his sash intact he can start spamming sub/ks to rack up moody boosts and hopefully bp them to another team member.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Here's a lead pair I didn't expect to battle on WiFi:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite

Ditto @ nothing,
Limber ability

Turn 1: Kangaskhan Megaevolves and attacks with Power-Up Punch, Ditto transforms into Mega Kangaskhan.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I battled a team like this on Wi-fi and it infuriated me to no end.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
-Minimize
-Follow Me
-Dazzling Gleam
-Stored Power

Espeon @ not sure
Ability: Magic Bounce
-Psych Up
-Substitute
-Psychic
-Dazzling Gleam

Makes me want to pack a no-miss move like Faint Attack just to counter them.

Last edited:
I battled a team like this on Wi-fi and it infuriated me to no end.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
-Minimize
-Follow Me
-Dazzling Gleam
-Stored Power

Espeon @ not sure
Ability: Magic Bounce
-Psych Up
-Substitute
-Psychic
-Dazzling Gleam

Makes me want to pack a no-miss move like Faint Attack just to counter them.
Actually hit this exact combination today playing on battlespot today. Honestly, I just applied constant offensive pressure with Talonflame, Garchomp, and mega kanga before the boosts got too high.

but this isn't really a vgc core because Clefable isn't in VGC 2014, lol.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Bah, you're right, for some reason I kept thinking Clefable was vgc legal. The only VGC equivalent is Double Team + Rage Powder/Follow Me unless running a Smeargle (though combined with Moody it can be rage inducing)

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 Atk
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 188 SDef / 76 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Discharge
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split / Hidden Power Ice

Double checks Talonflame, Rotom can use Discharge freely (Unless a red card user is present) and Garchomp can use Earthquake freely. It's very nice. Pain Split is for reasons every other pokemon that uses it has, for when you're low and they switch in a counter. Generally the Rotom counters are slower than it, so that's always something to keep in mind. Although, HP Ice can be useful to get rid of the dastardly Gliscor that can ruin this combo. As it forces you into using Rock Slide + Pump, which both can miss. The EVs on Rotom seem to be the best that I've found, as it makes sure it can outspeed fellow Rotoms (No other rotoms use 4 speed that I've seen) or at least tie them. The defensive side is meant to take grass type hits, which it does VERY well. The only really big threat that it has is probably Mega Abomasnow, as it carries the Ice Shard for Chomp, and Rotom can't do much to it. Other than that though, it seems to be very good to lead with.

I don't believe Pain Split is VGC 2014 legal since it was a BW2 tutor move for Rotom. And as far as HP Ice goes, I wouldn't be worried about Gliscor in VGC since he really doesn't bring much to the table, and Hydro Pump takes care of him well enough. You are better off going for Protect/Light Screen/Reflect/Twave in that last slot

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You should all be aware that any change in speed DURING the turn is not accounted for when pokemon are attacking. So thunder wave, tailwind, mega evolutions, are all accounted for the turn AFTER.

So priority tailwind is not as good as it may seem lol. It's a good move, but after I realized this I started to use a different move in that slot for Talonlame.

Here's the starting pair I use. I based it off of the TopMoth combo, and though I still prefer Hitmontop, I think Scrafty does just fine

Scrafty @ Eject Button
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Protect

I like the way these two play with each other. Opposing Fake Out users (with the obvious exception of Kangaskhan) have to target Scrafty, which usually lets me bring in another Intimidate user, weather, or another counter. Chandelure-- with access to Energy Ball, does some hefty damage on Rotom-W, which is a common switch in. Focus Sash also lets it hit again, unless targeted, though its speed fixes that a good majority of the time. Even in Trick Room, where Chandelure is abysmal, Scrafty doesn't do too bad with base 58 speed.

Talonflame is a massive problem, and Scrafty Khan doesn't make me happy either. But it's the closest to a TopMoth resurrection, and it fares rather well.

Last edited:
Eeyore That's pretty neat on its own and Chandelure + Scrafty was a pretty neat way to set up TR last gen. My only advice sticking with Scrafy is to try Crunch > Poison Jab and Quick Guard > Protect. I feel like Poison Jab is almost entirely for Fairy-type Pokemon and I think you'd get a lot better mileage out of just Crunch. You get rad secondary coverage and most fairies either don't care about Poison Jab (Mawhile, Klefki) or don't enjoy crunch much as is (Gardevoir). Quick Guard would patch up your Talonflame problem with that core really nicely and scrafty has the natural bulk as is to forgo protect if it wants (a Quick Guarded Chandelure actually walls Talonflame).

Eeyore That's pretty neat on its own and Chandelure + Scrafty was a pretty neat way to set up TR last gen. My only advice sticking with Scrafy is to try Crunch > Poison Jab and Quick Guard > Protect. I feel like Poison Jab is almost entirely for Fairy-type Pokemon and I think you'd get a lot better mileage out of just Crunch. You get rad secondary coverage and most fairies either don't care about Poison Jab (Mawhile, Klefki) or don't enjoy crunch much as is (Gardevoir). Quick Guard would patch up your Talonflame problem with that core really nicely and scrafty has the natural bulk as is to forgo protect if it wants (a Quick Guarded Chandelure actually walls Talonflame).
YAY MANTYKE LIKES ME!

I had crunch at first, but as I was running a lot of mega-T-tar with crunch, I found it redundant. As I've scrapped that recently, this makes it perfect. Thank you!

Prankster @ Sitrus / Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp Def / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Safeguard
- Swagger
- Charm
- Thunder Wave

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Play Rough

I enjoy this opener. Meowstic is my favourite Gen VI Pokemon; priority Charm is amazing to use. Against most teams I start off with a Safeguard & Protect. Then from there I can either Swagger my own Mawile for insane attack power, or Charm / Twave opposing threats. Meowstic can take a hit from nearly anything and I haven't made up my mind completely about leftovers or Sitrus on it yet. Mawile is great against fairies and Play Rough is a great move. If I see a TR team in the preview screen I swap our Mawile for Talonflame who has taunt. I like this combo with safeswagger, even though its a bit overused. I <3 Mawile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)