[VGC 2014] Rate my ZardY Team.

I am hoping to get some help with this, because as I have been testing this Team out, I have noticed that I have been dancing between 1500 Rating and 1600 Rating and not really getting much further. Thanks in advance!

A little more info about the team. I came across a version of this team on the NuggetBridge website, and noticed a few things that could be improved on it. Taking that into mind, I set to work on adjusting the Team and taking it out for a spin, and immediately really liked what it brought to the table. But as I approached the mid ranks, I noticed that the generally really good stuff was utterly destroying me, and that some weaker links had started to show through (namely Gengar in this case). So my aim is to take this Team as far as possible, either through advanced hints about how best to handle various popular Pokemon/Strategy, or though further adjusting the Team to better combat them.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- SolarBeam
- Air Slash
- Protect

This is more often that not the Pokemon I lead with and for obvious reason I think, it's the star of this whole Team! Timid allows it to sit nicely at the top of that base 100 Speed tier which lets it outspeed a decent number of Pokemon running around or at the least speed tie. Moves give it as good and reliable coverage as possible (Air Slash flinched has saved my bacon a couple of times), and Protect rounds the moveset off giving me a way to block Mega Kang Fake Outs, possible status, or that possible really fast Rock Slide. Whenever this guy is out, he is more often than not accompanied by...

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Charizards wingman of this whole operation. Normally the first turn is used for Protect after Mega Evolving Charizard. That way the next turn it can use it's newly acquired speed to start putting things to sleep or leaving sizable dents in the opposing team. While Sleep Powder isn't the most reliable of moves, I feel it is still Venusaurs best option, and when starting with it and Charizard, being able to potentially put one of 'zards threats to sleep can give me a huge advantage overall.

Rhyperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 202 HP / 252 Atk / 54 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Dragon Tail

Rhyperior is normally the third 'mon, normally lying in wait for anything named Talonflame that even so much as tries to look at Venusaur funny, but he is generally an amazing Tank and even more so now that the Assault Vest is a thing. In the Sun, this guy is not scared at all of Water attacks, and if the situation is right will happily stay in and then return the favour with a hard-hitting Rock Slide or Earthquake. Even though he has his strengths as an answer to the likes of Talonflame, T-Wave Spammers, Trick Room, and Sand teams in general when needs must, he functions as another great partner to Charizard similar to how Garchomp and Rotom can work together (replacing Discharge with a hopefully Sun-powered Heat Wave).

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Shell Smash

If allowed to setup, this guy will wreck people, pure and simple. Due to the lack of a Water-type move, he can function perfectly fine in the Sun if it is still out there, and also the move given to him gives him an answer to Priority users. Ice Shard is definitely one of the best decisions I have made with a Cloyster in doubles. After a Shell Smash, not even the likes of Talonflame with it's great speed along with priority Brave Bird, is entirely safe when facing against Cloyster. Icicle Spear and Rock Blast are the main power plays in this set for when Ice Shard is not otherwise required.

Klefki @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- Sunny Day

Klefki actually serves multiple purposes here. In spite of my Main Team generally being Zard, Venu, Rhypie, and Cloyster, sometimes Klefki will need to step in against matchups that don't favour what I would ideally like to start out with. He will normally accompany Gengar, where it can make the most out of it's T-Wave/Swagger Combo, due to Shadow Tag disallowing switches. Foul Play gives it an attack to use, oftentimes along with the Swagger attack boost to boost it's power even further. But the last move is where Klefki comes into its own. Sunny Day with the Heat Rock means that, not only can I disrupt the opponent if they too are using Weather, but also it means I can still make use of Venusaur even when Charizard isn't on the battling lineup. It also gives me a quick way to protect myself from particularly threatening Water-type attacks, especially those aimed at Rhyperior, and generally allow it to survive. On rare occasion, especially against stuff like Mega-Abomasnow and Mega-Tyranitar, I will use Klefki and Charizard together to ensure that the Sun wins out in the end.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Whenever I am not using Charizard, I am using this guy, and for good reason. Even though he's not as threatening in Doubles and is probably the weakest link in my team, the utility and power he brings cannot be ignored. Shadow Tag serves two purposes, ensuring Klefki gets the most out of Swagger, and giving me an out to Perish Song trappers. The moveset it has gives it decent coverage, as well as a move that can hit both targets in Dazzling Gleam, which does a respectable amount of damage especially to Dragons. Protect is normally used first to ensure that I do not get KO'd immediately upon Mega Evolving, so that next turn I can use Gengars boosted Special Attack and Speed to start leaving marks in the opposing ranks.

So that's the team! I would love to hear your thoughts since, I am unsure if I am just not playing this team to its fullest yet, or that there is a glaring weakness in this team that is holding me back from breaking the 1600+ ranking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)