1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC 2014 Rules

Discussion in 'VGC' started by RBG, Nov 22, 2013.

  1. Brophlosion

    Brophlosion

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2011
    Messages:
    215
    And there never will be :)
  2. Sprocket

    Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1,737
    Bout the only Pokemon in the game that can "reliably" abuse OHKO moves are Articuno (Mind Reader + Sheer Cold), Smeargle, or any Pokemon that was Skill Swapped No Guard onto it that can learn OHKO moves. In other words it would take incredible setup to pull off, and its supremely easy to disrupt. And with a 30% chance of success and a 70% chance of failure, its just not worth it.
  3. Heramy

    Heramy

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Ok, thanks for the precision, I participated to 1 and never noticed OHKO were not forbidden, I'll still try and see if it's playable xd

    Edit: oh ok, I've always misread No Guard until now, nvm.
  4. Hiruma Teri

    Hiruma Teri

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    Just so I'm clear, Pokemon from Friend Safari's that aren't actually in the KalosDex, like Galvantula, can't be used at all?
  5. Sprocket

    Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1,737
    Correct. Meanwhile Pokemon found in the Kalos dex that ARE in the Safari like Ivysaur ARE legal.
  6. Monache

    Monache

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2013
    Messages:
    8
    I was referring to time spent hatching eggs and breeding.
  7. B-Lulz

    B-Lulz You ain't gotta love it 'cos the hood gone love it
    is a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2008
    Messages:
    1,395
    Is there anywhere that practices the tier? Is the PS ladder functioning and have players on it or is PO a better place?
  8. Zowayix

    Zowayix

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2008
    Messages:
    339
    That's why they've literally cut the grind time down by thousands of times this generation (discounting RNG abuse). They are definitely trying to eliminate grinding as much as possible; they just want to strike a balance between the "all Pokemon are unique" mantra and the perfection required in tournament play.
    Monache likes this.
  9. Biosci

    Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1,470
    The PS! VGC '14 ladder seems perfectly fine with me so far, haven't noticed any glitches at all.
  10. RedSpyda

    RedSpyda

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2009
    Messages:
    279

    This is somewhat similar to a smeargle that im using for vgc with some success

    Smeargle Focus sash 252 HP 252 Spe 4 Def
    Moody Timid Nature
    King's Shield
    Magic Bounce
    Dark Void/Spore
    Baton Pass

    This set as a lead wrecks alot of plans. Kings shield is for the turn 1 fake outs and physical attackers that target him. Magic Bounce is great fro the pokes with status or taunt users. Dark void/ spore to put something to sleep quickly. Baton pass is self explanatory as kings shield acts as a protect to get some moody boosts.

    this set has its flaws against spread moves like rock slide, EQ and special attackers. hopefully you get some speed or evasion boosts and pass them off to another poke that can do the job. He acts a a great annoyer however he is dead weight with no attacking moves and is the last poke on the field.
  11. chimpact

    chimpact fire nation
    is an official Team Rateris a Tiering Contributor

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2006
    Messages:
    1,756
    can you use hidden abilities of kalos dex mons that arent in hordes?
  12. Sprocket

    Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1,737
    So long as they are caught or bred in XY yes. Im not aware of any vgc legal pokemon where their HA is not found in XY but only in BW (if they exist they are fringe cases). The only cases I can think of are the three birds, but their HAs were never released to begin with.
  13. Phiddlesticks

    Phiddlesticks

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2005
    Messages:
    475
    Conkeldurr is a notable example of a Kalos dex Pokemon who isn't able to get its hidden ability yet
  14. Sprocket

    Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1,737
    Well there ya go! Perfect example. Iron Fist Conkeldurr will be legal in VGC since its possible to breed the ability in XY; its just not possible to acquire it without Pokebank until then.
  15. Emmooo

    Emmooo

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2013
    Messages:
    1
    How many pokemon must be used, 4 or 6?
  16. Tobes

    Tobes Woo-hoo, woo-hoo, woo-hoo-hoo!
    is a Battle Server Administratoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2010
    Messages:
    2,547
    You bring 6 and pick 4 per battle.
  17. Aura Flare Riolu

    Aura Flare Riolu

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2012
    Messages:
    195
    Perish Song Mega Gengar with Mat Block Greninja...Scary stuff.
  18. Shadowlucario64

    Shadowlucario64

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2011
    Messages:
    65
    You can't get perish song on Gengar yet, and besides, not only does Shadow Tag only block the Pokémon across from Gengar, but Gengar would still have to stall out the remaining perish song turns, which your opponent could use to beat your partner to a pulp or set up.
  19. Aura Flare Riolu

    Aura Flare Riolu

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2012
    Messages:
    195
    Shadow Tag traps both opponents. Not just the one in front of it. And VGC 2014 starts after PokeBank
  20. Sprocket

    Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    Messages:
    1,737
    I can't see Mega Gengar being anything more than a nuisance in VGC. Mega Gengar can certainly attempt a stall, but it is susceptible to being double targeted, is weak to Earthquake, and vulnerable to Taunt from everything unless partnered with an Aromatisse (barring Mega Gyarados). Not to mention opposing ghost types won't care. You'd be better off trying to stall with an Eviolite Murkrow; it at least has Prankster.
  21. Mr.E

    Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2004
    Messages:
    3,504
    Gengar can do a lot to shut down its opponents with its wide array of utility moves. Disabling the opponent's attack potentially wastes their turn, WoW can blunt a physical attacker and both even set up your switch to take less damage on the third turn. If you want, you can just alternate Protect with Substitute and that will shut down everything but good double-targets.

    But most importantly, it's simply another trapper (who isn't Wobbuffet because Wobb can't Protect). Even if you kill Gengar, they'll just bring in Gothitelle and stall the extra turn while you're still trapped. It's also a better pokemon in general.

    Mega Gengar is also pretty dangerous as an attacker, firing off 170 base special STAB that virtually nothing resists and you can't switch to a better matchup against. Since T-Tar is literally the only important thing that resists Shadow Ball, it can pack a whole lot of random dickery if it doesn't feel like utilizing its type coverage (STAB Poison, Grass, Psychic, Electric, Fighting) to OHKO more shit. Hell, it can still be a self-contained Perish Trapper on an otherwise normal team. Perish Song itself is a great utility move. Gengar is good.
  22. AGeezie

    AGeezie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Just wondering…
    Kalos Native

    Pokémon used in the Standard Format must be native to the Kalos region in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. A native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched, distributed to, or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. Pokémon that have been transferred to Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are not native.

    … doesn't this make blaziken usable?
  23. Biosci

    Biosci !
    is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a VGC3 Winner

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1,470
    Blaziken is not in the Kalos dex, so no it doesn't.
  24. AGeezie

    AGeezie

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Was it not DISTRIBUTED?

    A native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched, distributed to, or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y.
  25. Mr.E

    Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2004
    Messages:
    3,504

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)