VGC 2014 Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Bout the only Pokemon in the game that can "reliably" abuse OHKO moves are Articuno (Mind Reader + Sheer Cold), Smeargle, or any Pokemon that was Skill Swapped No Guard onto it that can learn OHKO moves. In other words it would take incredible setup to pull off, and its supremely easy to disrupt. And with a 30% chance of success and a 70% chance of failure, its just not worth it.

Ok, thanks for the precision, I participated to 1 and never noticed OHKO were not forbidden, I'll still try and see if it's playable xd

Edit: oh ok, I've always misread No Guard until now, nvm.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there anywhere that practices the tier? Is the PS ladder functioning and have players on it or is PO a better place?

Not that I support hacked mons, but the argument that breeding takes skill strikes me as pretty silly. I am aware, though, that gf has made it much easier to breed perfect ivs more quickly. But, in all honesty, why should gf want us to grind? They don't benefit financially from more hours played by us, it's not an mmo with monthly subscription. And so it seems to me that they should work to eliminate pointless grind almost completely and cater even further to pvp.
That's why they've literally cut the grind time down by thousands of times this generation (discounting RNG abuse). They are definitely trying to eliminate grinding as much as possible; they just want to strike a balance between the "all Pokemon are unique" mantra and the perfection required in tournament play.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
Is there anywhere that practices the tier? Is the PS ladder functioning and have players on it or is PO a better place?
The PS! VGC '14 ladder seems perfectly fine with me so far, haven't noticed any glitches at all.

I played Smeargle as my lead in my Hyper Offensive team during the begining of the format (singles, obviously). I can tell you for a fact that Smeargle now shits on Fake Out because of King's Shield.

Smeargle Focus Sash
252 HP 252 Spe
+Spe
Dark Void
King's Shield
2 more support moves

This is somewhat similar to a smeargle that im using for vgc with some success

Smeargle Focus sash 252 HP 252 Spe 4 Def
Moody Timid Nature
King's Shield
Magic Bounce
Dark Void/Spore
Baton Pass

This set as a lead wrecks alot of plans. Kings shield is for the turn 1 fake outs and physical attackers that target him. Magic Bounce is great fro the pokes with status or taunt users. Dark void/ spore to put something to sleep quickly. Baton pass is self explanatory as kings shield acts as a protect to get some moody boosts.

this set has its flaws against spread moves like rock slide, EQ and special attackers. hopefully you get some speed or evasion boosts and pass them off to another poke that can do the job. He acts a a great annoyer however he is dead weight with no attacking moves and is the last poke on the field.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
can you use hidden abilities of kalos dex mons that arent in hordes?
So long as they are caught or bred in XY yes. Im not aware of any vgc legal pokemon where their HA is not found in XY but only in BW (if they exist they are fringe cases). The only cases I can think of are the three birds, but their HAs were never released to begin with.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Conkeldurr is a notable example of a Kalos dex Pokemon who isn't able to get its hidden ability yet
Well there ya go! Perfect example. Iron Fist Conkeldurr will be legal in VGC since its possible to breed the ability in XY; its just not possible to acquire it without Pokebank until then.

Perish Song Mega Gengar with Mat Block Greninja...Scary stuff.
You can't get perish song on Gengar yet, and besides, not only does Shadow Tag only block the Pokémon across from Gengar, but Gengar would still have to stall out the remaining perish song turns, which your opponent could use to beat your partner to a pulp or set up.

You can't get perish song on Gengar yet, and besides, not only does Shadow Tag only block the Pokémon across from Gengar, but Gengar would still have to stall out the remaining perish song turns, which your opponent could use to beat your partner to a pulp or set up.
Shadow Tag traps both opponents. Not just the one in front of it. And VGC 2014 starts after PokeBank

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I can't see Mega Gengar being anything more than a nuisance in VGC. Mega Gengar can certainly attempt a stall, but it is susceptible to being double targeted, is weak to Earthquake, and vulnerable to Taunt from everything unless partnered with an Aromatisse (barring Mega Gyarados). Not to mention opposing ghost types won't care. You'd be better off trying to stall with an Eviolite Murkrow; it at least has Prankster.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Gengar can do a lot to shut down its opponents with its wide array of utility moves. Disabling the opponent's attack potentially wastes their turn, WoW can blunt a physical attacker and both even set up your switch to take less damage on the third turn. If you want, you can just alternate Protect with Substitute and that will shut down everything but good double-targets.

But most importantly, it's simply another trapper (who isn't Wobbuffet because Wobb can't Protect). Even if you kill Gengar, they'll just bring in Gothitelle and stall the extra turn while you're still trapped. It's also a better pokemon in general.

Mega Gengar is also pretty dangerous as an attacker, firing off 170 base special STAB that virtually nothing resists and you can't switch to a better matchup against. Since T-Tar is literally the only important thing that resists Shadow Ball, it can pack a whole lot of random dickery if it doesn't feel like utilizing its type coverage (STAB Poison, Grass, Psychic, Electric, Fighting) to OHKO more shit. Hell, it can still be a self-contained Perish Trapper on an otherwise normal team. Perish Song itself is a great utility move. Gengar is good.

Just wondering…
Kalos Native

Pokémon used in the Standard Format must be native to the Kalos region in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. A native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched, distributed to, or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y. Pokémon that have been transferred to Pokémon X or Pokémon Y via Pokémon Bank or Poké Transporter are not native.

… doesn't this make blaziken usable?

Was it not DISTRIBUTED?

A native Pokémon is a Pokémon that is hatched, distributed to, or caught in Pokémon X or Pokémon Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)