VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just discovered on the pokemon-gl statistics that Gardevoir is the poke most used together with Infernape. What is the reason for this, do they just synergise well or is this some Gardape combo gimmick I haven't heard of before?

I just discovered on the pokemon-gl statistics that Gardevoir is the poke most used together with Infernape. What is the reason for this, do they just synergise well or is this some Gardape combo gimmick I haven't heard of before?
Infernape threatens every Steel-type in the game with it's STAB Fire- and STAB Fighting-moves. Since Steel-types are the main Pokémon that keep a Mega Gardevoir from outright sweeping a team with STAB Pixilate Hyper Voice, Infernape helps it break or weaken all those checks like Metagross, Aegislash, Heatran, Mawile, Ferrothorn, Scizor, Excadrill, etc...
Infernape also threatens Amoonguss, which otherwise could live a Hyper Voice or Physhock and put something to sleep with Spore.
Fake Out from Infernape can buy you a free turn to deal serious damage with Hyper Voice.
Encore Infernape messes with opponents that try to block STAB Pixilate Hyper Voice by using Protect or Wide Guard, while Quick Guard Infernape can save your Gardevoir from priority attacks, which is a good idea, if your team can provide Tailwind support for Gardevoir and you don't want to have your sweep stopped by Gale Wings Brave Bird, Sucker Punch, Bullet Punch, Prankster Thunder Wave and "friends".
You could also run Stone Edge over the support moves to threaten other Fire-types.

Last edited:
So I am currently in the middle of a teambuilding process and I would like some help figuring out the sixth slot in my team. I know that I want a pokemon that can work as a trick room check, I just can't figure out which pokemon would fit that role best in my team. Any suggetions would be appreciated, any other feedback on the team aswell.

The team:

Swampy (Swampert) (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Wide Guard

SuchToge (Togekiss) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Tailwind

Bulkysaurus (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Ancient Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpD
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn

So I am currently in the middle of a teambuilding process and I would like some help figuring out the sixth slot in my team. I know that I want a pokemon that can work as a trick room check, I just can't figure out which pokemon would fit that role best in my team. Any suggetions would be appreciated, any other feedback on the team aswell.

The team:

Swampy (Swampert) (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Wide Guard

SuchToge (Togekiss) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 4 SpA / 28 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Protect
- Tailwind

Bulkysaurus (Venusaur) (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 76 SpA / 52 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Ancient Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Landorus (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Def / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpD
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Superpower
- U-turn
Would you consider running a double mega team? Mega Mawile looks like it could be very useful here.

It destroys Trick Room, allows you to double Intimidate, makes your team less predictable in team preview and you can support it very well with Wide Guard Swampert and Follow Me Togekiss.

I honestly think it could be worth a test.

Would you consider running a double mega team? Mega Mawile looks like it could be very useful here.

It destroys Trick Room, allows you to double Intimidate, makes your team less predictable in team preview and you can support it very well with Wide Guard Swampert and Follow Me Togekiss.
I have never tried a double mega team before, but it definetly sounds interesting. Should I then run Mawile minimum speed to make it a better TR counter?

I have never tried a double mega team before, but it definetly sounds interesting. Should I then run Mawile minimum speed to make it a better TR counter?
I would probably still go with Adamant 31 speed over Brave 0 speed, because outside of Trick Room you outspeed all of these...

Code:
70    Mega Mawile, Mega Aggron, Azumarill, Sableye, Mawile, Aggron, Hariyama    Neutral
65    Conkeldurr    Neutral
63    Gothitelle    Negative    0 EVs, 0 IV
60    Rhydon, Rhyperior    Neutral
59    Gastrodon    Neutral
58    Abomasnow, Sylveon, Aegislash, Jellicent    Negative    0 EVs, 0 IV
56    Scrafty   Negative    0 EVs, 0 IV
50    Amoonguss    Neutral
49    Hariyama    Negative    0 EVs, 0 IV
49    Mega Mawile, Mega Aggron, Azumarill, Sableye, Mawile, Aggron, Hariyama Negative 0 EVs, 0 IV
...while the biggest threats to Mawile on this list (Rhyperior & Amoonguss) will outslow you anyway, if they are on a dedicated Trick Room team and run a negative speed nature.

Last edited:
I would probably still go with Adamant 31 speed over Brave 0 speed, because outside of Trick Room you outspeed all of these...

Code:
70    Mega Mawile, Mega Aggron, Azumarill, Sableye, Mawile, Aggron, Hariyama    Neutral
65    Conkeldurr    Neutral
63    Gothitelle    Negative    0 EVs, 0 IV
60    Rhydon, Rhyperior    Neutral
59    Gastrodon    Neutral
58    Abomasnow, Sylveon, Aegislash, Jellicent    Negative    0 EVs, 0 IV
56    Scrafty   Negative    0 EVs, 0 IV
50    Amoonguss    Neutral
49    Hariyama    Negative    0 EVs, 0 IV
49    Mega Mawile, Mega Aggron, Azumarill, Sableye, Mawile, Aggron, Hariyama Negative 0 EVs, 0 IV
... while the biggest threats to Mawile on this list (Rhyperior & Amoonguss) will outslow you anyway, if they are on a dedicated Trick Room team and run a negative speed nature.
Okay, thanks for the awesome feedback. Personally I would never have thought of having double megas, but it seems like it might just work on this team. Mawile really suits the role of TR stopper, because having just a mon with Taunt is not enough (Mental Herb is a thing).

Okay, thanks for the awesome feedback. Personally I would never have thought of having double megas, but it seems like it might just work on this team. Mawile really suits the role of TR stopper, because having just a mon with Taunt is not enough (Mental Herb is a thing).
I don't see Taunt on any of your Pokémon, but your team should have enough bulk to stall out the four Trick Room turns and Air Slash Togekiss could help you flinch their Trick Room setter with that 60% flinch chance, while you setup a Substitute with Heatran or Leech Seed something with Venusaur (in case you don't want to bring Mawile for whatever reason).
Swampert also helps against those teams that try to spam spread moves for four turns to deal as much damage as possible.

PS: IF Bisharp becomes a problem, which it might, give your Heatran enough speed EVs to outspeed it.

Last edited:
I don't see Taunt on any of your Pokémon, but your team should have enough bulk to stall out the four Trick Room turns and Air Slash Togekiss could help you flinch their Trick Room setter with that 60% flinch chance, while you setup a Substitute with Heatran or Leech Seed something with Venusaur (in case you don't want to bring Mawile for whatever reason).
Swampert also helps against those teams that try to spam spread moves for four turns to deal as much damage as possible.

PS: IF Bisharp becomes a problem, which it might, give your Heatran enough speed EVs to outspeed it.
I meant that adding a pokemon with Taunt would not be enough of a TR counter, and that made finding a solid TR counter difficult. Also, I do see that I don't have too many Bisharp counters, but Lando-T is atleast EV'd to survive +1 LO Sucker Punch Bisharp. EV'ing Heatran a bit it speed could also work to reduce that weakness, thanks for the tip.

Also, 100th post. Yay :)

What's the most common Mega Venusaur build, nature and attack wise?
Bold, Modest or Calm?
Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Leech Seed and Protect... or something else?

What's the most common Mega Venusaur build, nature and attack wise?
Bold, Modest or Calm?
Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Leech Seed and Protect... or something else?
I run Modest because elaborate, team specific reasons; if you're running a team based on MegaSaur, usually Bold, heavy physical bulk, and that's the moveset yes. Just make sure you 2HKO garchomp and you should be fine.
If you're running Tailwind (which you should, Tailwind+Mega venusar is fun shit) consider running 92 Speed; outruns +150's, most Scarf users, and most opposing Mega Venusaur.
Only other moveset options are:
Leaf Storm (not much point on a bulky mon with enormous staying power)
Sleep Powder (Misses, and usually induces usless 1 turn sleeps)
Grassy terrain (Recovery + buffs Giga Drain and cripples EQ; but also means no EQ for you and foe may heal)
Substitute (Classic SubSeed, but why lose STAB?)
Synthesis (Immediate healing, but low PP / Leech Seed + Protect does fine)

Only other moveset options are:
Leaf Storm (not much point on a bulky mon with enormous staying power)
Sleep Powder (Misses, and usually induces usless 1 turn sleeps)
Grassy terrain (Recovery + buffs Giga Drain and cripples EQ; but also means no EQ for you and foe may heal)
Substitute (Classic SubSeed, but why lose STAB?)
Synthesis (Immediate healing, but low PP / Leech Seed + Protect does fine)
Grassy Terrain is pretty interesting, never considered that. Would be fun next to a Heatran or something else appreciative of weak 'quakes or substitute recovery. Couple other things I've played with in this last slot to some effect were:

HP Ground -- so Venusaur can do something against Steels (namely Heatran).
Grass Pledge -- can be rather gimmicky, but not uncommon with Charizard-Y on a double mega team. Also fun with Swampert etc. for a different kind of speed control.

Grassy Terrain is pretty interesting, never considered that. Would be fun next to a Heatran or something else appreciative of weak 'quakes or substitute recovery. Couple other things I've played with in this last slot to some effect were:

HP Ground -- so Venusaur can do something against Steels (namely Heatran).
Grass Pledge -- can be rather gimmicky, but not uncommon with Charizard-Y on a double mega team. Also fun with Swampert etc. for a different kind of speed control.
HP Ground, wouldn't bother. Even with Modest, 252 Sp. Atk, and a Life Orb, Venusaur still fails to OHKO any Heatran that runs a decent amount of bulk (as in like, 168+ EVs between HP and/or Sp. def). You need Helping Hand. Just run a Terrakion or some other toad stomper.

My team is actually based on a Char-Y + Chlorophyll (Mega) Venusaur + Swampert core. I haven't built the remaining 3 members around supporting a Pledge trio, but I have played with it a bit and can throw some insight on it:

1) Venusaur can easily slot in Grass Pledge, either as its primary Grass STAB (not reccommended) or in its filler slot (Since Venusaur only has a three move movepool with Giga Drain/Protect/Sludge Bomb anyway).
2) Swampert can run it as its sole Water STAB; equal power to Scald, and trades the 30% burn chance for what is effectively 2 possible field conditions.
3) Charizard, depending on your team build, can run it in its coverage/nuke slot - my team doesn't entirely allow this, but that could be reasonably solved.
4) The faster user does nothing. The slower one uses the combined Pledge - if it doesn't flinch, faint, isn't asleep, paralyzed, hit in Confusion, or otherwise incapacitated. In which case, both Pledge users do nothing. Be cautious.

The primary problem isn't the moveset constriction since all three can run it with little to no loss. The problem is actually setting up a condition where you have a combination of two starters on the field that can attack uninhibited. Also consider the "Bring 6 pick 4" style of VGC, we may not even have all three of our starters; perhaps only 1 of them was picked. Often for me, I bring Char-Y + Swampert, as the two work fantastically together. However, Water+Fire Pledge in Sun = total shit.
Fire+Grass = Fire Pledge, which coming from Char-Y is an attack so absurdly powerful that almost nothing actually compares on the Special side. 480 base power, 159 base Sp. Atk. Almost always better than Venusaur attacking + Char-Y attacking. PLus, the 1/8th HP damage/turn on both your foes turns a lot of 3HKO's into 2HKOs, etc.
Water+Grass = Grass pledge, rather weak but the Swamp field condition effectively negates Tailwind, and does not trigger Defiant/Contrary/Competitive (quite notable imo). Mega Venusaur + Swampert is a decent on-field pair as well, Swampy keeps Talonflame off of Venusaur's nuts. Just steer clear of Amoonguss and Ludicolo (since Swampy doesn't commonly run Protect). Both can make good use of the Speed advantage, as both have pretty good 2HKO potential from either raw power or SE coverage.

Might play around and see if I can run a Pledge variant of my team lol, I am the kind of crazy fuck to do it / am bored.

Ah and Greninja, Greninja is very unique with Pledge moves thanks to Protean and is one of the more viable Water Pledge users. I might be the only person around here that knows the specific mechanics of that one though.

I'm new to battling, so this may be a really noob question, but what are some of the best ways to deal with rain/sun teams (or weather in general)?

If it's any help, the current team I'm playing around with on PS! BattleSpot Doubles is M-Metagross (currently trying Sub + dual STABs), Togekiss (Follow Me + Tailwind support), Hydreigon (trying out Scarf, previously LO), Garchomp (standard physical attacker + Lum), Heatran (Modest attacker + Taunt), and Rotom-W.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm new to battling, so this may be a really noob question, but what are some of the best ways to deal with rain/sun teams (or weather in general)?

If it's any help, the current team I'm playing around with on PS! BattleSpot Doubles is M-Metagross (currently trying Sub + dual STABs), Togekiss (Follow Me + Tailwind support), Hydreigon (trying out Scarf, previously LO), Garchomp (standard physical attacker + Lum), Heatran (Modest attacker + Taunt), and Rotom-W.
Honestly one of the better ways to deal with weather teams is speed control, as most weather (except like hail) relies on it boosting the speed of a Pokemon IE Chlorophyll with Sun, Swift Swim with Rain, etc. Thunder Wave/Tailwind is a great way to shut down those Pokemon's speed which will generally give you a much easier time dealing with them since most of them don't invest much into bulk anyways. Another way of dealing with it is to run your own splashable weather mon like T-Tar. Speed control is still the best way imo.

Honestly one of the better ways to deal with weather teams is speed control, as most weather (except like hail) relies on it boosting the speed of a Pokemon IE Chlorophyll with Sun, Swift Swim with Rain, etc. Thunder Wave/Tailwind is a great way to shut down those Pokemon's speed which will generally give you a much easier time dealing with them since most of them don't invest much into bulk anyways. Another way of dealing with it is to run your own splashable weather mon like T-Tar. Speed control is still the best way imo.
I run a Drought team with Tailwind - do you know what outspeeds Chlorosaur in Tailwind, without priority? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Even when paralyzed, it still outruns things :P
Zapdos is splashable in pretty much any weather, Suicune in sun is almost uselessly passive but can still function, and does fine in rain/sand/hail. If you can set up Tailwind and deny theirs, then yes you hold a great advantage over it, I don't argue that lol.

Heatran and Garchomp gives you a good matchup against Char-Y. Venusaur, you have MegaGross, and Lum Garchomp specifically does well for absorbing a Sleep Powder -> Rock Sliding Char-Y to death. Saftey Goggles on Heatran would make you pretty much immune to standard Drought builds once you eliminate Heatran checks (Terrakion, Garchomp, Lando-T, Swampert). Even without Goggles though, Sleep Powder will simply delay Heatran's victory. You should be ok against Sun - trust me, I've been running Drought since 2011 so I know how to beat it lol.
Garchomp is good against TTar but MegaGross/Togekiss/Heatran have to be careful, Hydreigon is walled. Rotom-W does decent damage even against Sand buffed Sp. def. Hippowdon doesn't really exist in VGC but Hydreigon/Rotom-W shits on it anyway.
Rain, Rotom-W helps a lot. Just look for the specific Rotom-W counter (Ludicolo, Breloom, Virizion, Hydreigon, Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur) and focus on removing that, or using Togekiss to redirect the Leaf Storm / Leaf Blade / Draco Meteor / Spore. Hydreigon should be pretty decent too - handles Water/Grass/Ground moves and smashes shit with DM. Using Amoonguss as a redirector would improve your Rain matchup a lot but then you lose Togekiss' Tailwind and Dragon immune... and overall I can't reccomend that. :/

I run a Drought team with Tailwind - do you know what outspeeds Chlorosaur in Tailwind, without priority? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Even when paralyzed, it still outruns things :P
Zapdos is splashable in pretty much any weather, Suicune in sun is almost uselessly passive but can still function, and does fine in rain/sand/hail. If you can set up Tailwind and deny theirs, then yes you hold a great advantage over it, I don't argue that lol.

Heatran and Garchomp gives you a good matchup against Char-Y. Venusaur, you have MegaGross, and Lum Garchomp specifically does well for absorbing a Sleep Powder -> Rock Sliding Char-Y to death. Saftey Goggles on Heatran would make you pretty much immune to standard Drought builds once you eliminate Heatran checks (Terrakion, Garchomp, Lando-T, Swampert). Even without Goggles though, Sleep Powder will simply delay Heatran's victory. You should be ok against Sun - trust me, I've been running Drought since 2011 so I know how to beat it lol.
Garchomp is good against TTar but MegaGross/Togekiss/Heatran have to be careful, Hydreigon is walled. Rotom-W does decent damage even against Sand buffed Sp. def. Hippowdon doesn't really exist in VGC but Hydreigon/Rotom-W shits on it anyway.
Rain, Rotom-W helps a lot. Just look for the specific Rotom-W counter (Ludicolo, Breloom, Virizion, Hydreigon, Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur) and focus on removing that, or using Togekiss to redirect the Leaf Storm / Leaf Blade / Draco Meteor / Spore. Hydreigon should be pretty decent too - handles Water/Grass/Ground moves and smashes shit with DM. Using Amoonguss as a redirector would improve your Rain matchup a lot but then you lose Togekiss' Tailwind and Dragon immune... and overall I can't reccomend that. :/
Thanks a lot for the insight! :)

Which is the most common nature for Thundurus (Incarnate)? I see both Bold and Calm being used frequently, and occasionally Timid. Also, does no one use HP Flying on him anymore (only Ice)?

Which is the most common nature for Thundurus (Incarnate)? I see both Bold and Calm being used frequently, and occasionally Timid. Also, does no one use HP Flying on him anymore (only Ice)?
Use Calm or Bold if you want a bulky Thundurus-I to spread paralysis with Prankster Thunder Wave.
Use Timid if you want an offensive Thundurus-I or need to Taunt first no matter what.

HP Flying would probably be used more, if it wasn't ridiculously hard to get in Gen VI. The only possible "flawless" spread for HP Flying is 31/31/31/30/30/30, because all pentagon Thundurus have at least three 31s.

Pokemon Global Link statistics for Thundurus' nature in Battle Spot Doubles:

47.8% Timid
27.2% Calm
17.7% Bold

Last edited:
Use Calm or Bold if you want a bulky Thundurus-I to spread paralysis with Prankster Thunder Wave.
Use Timid if you want an offensive Thundurus-I or need to Taunt first no matter what.

HP Flying would probably be used more, if it wasn't ridiculously hard to get in Gen VI. The only possible spread for HP Flying is 31/31/31/30/30/30, because all pentagon Thundurus have at least three 31s.
I didn't realize that about the HP Flying spread. I'm looking for a bulky one to abuse Prankster with.

Is either Calm or Bold generally used more than the other? I would think teams that have Intimidate, which is a lot these days, would probably go with Calm.

I didn't realize that about the HP Flying spread.

Is either Calm or Bold generally used more than the other? I would think teams that have Intimidate, which is a lot these days, would probably go with Calm.
I edited the Battle Spot statistics for Thundurus' nature in my previous post. Calm is indeed more common than Bold.

The nature YOU should be running depends on your team and what you need it to check/counter/survive.
I like to partner my Bold one with Pokémon that are afraid of Talonflame or Mega Salamence.
Though Calm would probably be the better choice if you can provide Intimidate support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)