VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to know how Worry Seed works with Mega-pokes?

Background behind the question, was using a gimmick worry seed prankster whimsicott + regigigas set, and then thought that could nullify important abilities on mega-salamence and mega-khan, but after a use for some reason or another, when they swapped the mega out, (while mega'd) they came back with their original ability, is this meant to happen?

Just wanted to know how Worry Seed works with Mega-pokes?

Background behind the question, was using a gimmick worry seed prankster whimsicott + regigigas set, and then thought that could nullify important abilities on mega-salamence and mega-khan, but after a use for some reason or another, when they swapped the mega out, (while mega'd) they came back with their original ability, is this meant to happen?
Worry Seed isn't permanent. It only changes the ability to Insomnia until the affected Pokémon is switched out.

When running speed EVs on a speed boosting nature Talonflame, exactly how many EVs would be optimal for outspeeding the most relevant VGC threats? I know the threats depend on the team, but I just want to know in general, based on standard sets and other priority users like Whimsicott and Thundurus, who I'm also not sure about how many speed EVs they run generally.

I've been trying 185 speed on Talonflame to outspeed the fastest Whimsicott, but I don't know if I'm just wasting EVs by doing that when I could invest in bulk or SpAtk.

If it helps, I have Mega Sceptile, Mega Gyarados, Aegislash, Togekiss, and Bisharp alongside it.
The only defensive EVs I'd run on talonflame would be in HP as it gets ko'd anything super effective like rock slide and hydro pump. I don't know about going sp attack on it unless you want that surprise overheat on something that resists brave bird and don't want to get recoil damage from flare blitz

i have little to no knowledge on vgc as i am a singles player and i'd like some advice.
is sticky web possibly viable?

i have little to no knowledge on vgc as i am a singles player and i'd like some advice.
is sticky web possibly viable?
Not really.
Bisharp and milotic are one reason. Another is because tailwind is much better and has better pokemon using it. Thirdly is because there is much less switching, so it's not unlikely a pokemon stays in until it faints. It's the same reason stealth rocks or spikes aren't common in vgc

there's a million methods of speed control and sticky web is just possibly the worst one

tailwind, icy wind, trick room, thunder wave, quash, bulldoze, electroweb just to name a few

Plasmanta

Banned deucer.
there's a million methods of speed control and sticky web is just possibly the worst one

tailwind, icy wind, trick room, thunder wave, quash, bulldoze, electroweb just to name a few
except quash is a prankster gimmick and will get you no where in a best of 3

bulldoze is outclassed by earthquake even with the speed drop because a lot of pokemon immune to earthquake carry speed control. (Zapdos, Cresselia, Thundurus, the occasional T-wave Rotom-H to name a few) Spread move reduction also makes it near useless and merely a gimmick

do I even need to say why electroweb is bad

...okay sure

point me to which one is a less viable option than sticky web

you can say "they're bad because x reason" until the cows come home because almost every method of speed control can be blocked by taunt or wide guard, but they're all still options. i don't think anyone's actually out there with entei using bulldoze as their only method of speed control, but it's certainly an option.

quash might be a "gimmick" but i don't think you grasp that the point of stealing one game via said gimmick is that you can transition into a more standard strategy and you only have to win 1/2 games.

From what I'm reading he never said they were good choices, he was merely remarking in response to hey yal that they were better options than sticky web, which they are (something that's 2/10 quality may be bad but it's still technically better than something that's 1/10 on the same scale)

The only defensive EVs I'd run on talonflame would be in HP as it gets ko'd anything super effective like rock slide and hydro pump. I don't know about going sp attack on it unless you want that surprise overheat on something that resists brave bird and don't want to get recoil damage from flare blitz
I actually plan on running a Naive one with Overheat :P So that's where I'm having trouble for the ev spread, splitting between speed and SAtk after 252 Atk. I'd use Sejun's spread, but I'm not sure if it's still working optimally, especially since the metagame has evolved since 2014.

20 sp. atk lets overheat kill regular mawile on the switch, fwiw
Kk so that's the only relevant threat to worry about with Naive LO in terms of Overheat?

Edit: And back on point, what should I aim to outspeed, in general, with Naive Talonflame?

Last edited:
What's wrong with electroweb? It's just an electric version of icy wind and that's certainly viable.
Icy WindMud ShotElectrowebSnarl are all varients of Icy wind (Snarl reducing Special Attack, while the rest speed).
the reason why only Icy Wind and Snarl are viable is because there is no pokemon immune to Ice and Dark, while there are pokemon immune to Ground and Electricity (Some even both, ie the 2nd most common pokemon in battle spot, Landorus-T).

the main reason you bring these moves are because they are a double status inducing move which is immune to Taunt, why risk bringing moves that pokemon are immune to when you can choose 100% status reduction. the only reason you should ever pick Mud shot / Electroweb is
1) the pokemon which fits the role in your team can only learn those 2 inferior moves
2) you have the option of choosing Mudshot/Electroweb over HP ground/Electric, but as most of these pokemon have stabs you don't need that.

Icy Wind • Mud Shot • Electroweb • Snarl are all variants of Icy Wind
Well, Mud shot's single target so it's more comparable to Low Sweep and Rock Tomb than Icy Wind.
No one's saying Electroweb is better than or even equal to Icy Wind. Given the choice, and I think only the Porygons and Smeargle get both, you choose Icy Wind but if you want some untauntable speed control on your Rotom-A, for instance, then I don't see why Electroweb is an unviable option.

As a niche pick? It could work. Straight up head to head I'd say no, especially against milotic as her stats are much better than wigglytuffs
kk, thank you!

and on other question.

if i needed a great rain counter and it needed to be a grass-type, should I pick Virizion, Mega Venusaur, or Ludicolo if my team is currently Mega Gyarados, Aegislash, Wigglytuff, Talonflame, and Tyranitar/Tyrantrum.

Last edited:
kk, thank you!

and on other question.

if i needed a great rain counter and it needed to be a grass-type, should I pick Virizion, Mega Venusaur, or Ludicolo if my team is currently Mega Gyarados, Aegislash, Wigglytuff, Talonflame, and Tyranitar/Tyrantrum.
First Tyranitar>Tyrantrum. Tyranitar can be also used as a rain counter as it gets Sand Stream. As for the 'mons you listed I'd go with Ludicolo as it gets Swift Swim and it also has Fake Out so you can stall a turn of rain.

First Tyranitar>Tyrantrum. Tyranitar can be also used as a rain counter as it gets Sand Stream. As for the 'mons you listed I'd go with Ludicolo as it gets Swift Swim and it also has Fake Out so you can stall a turn of rain.
Will do on Tyranitar. Good thing he was my first choice haha.

I really want to use Ludicolo as he's one of my favorites haha! But the one thing I'm a bit afraid about is the fact Venusaur can resist and check Sylveon, and I'm not sure if my team is up to the challenge for that. Would Ludicolo still be able to help the team handle or that, or am I worrying aboht a small threat that I can cover with my team already?

Will do on Tyranitar. Good thing he was my first choice haha.

I really want to use Ludicolo as he's one of my favorites haha! But the one thing I'm a bit afraid about is the fact Venusaur can resist and check Sylveon, and I'm not sure if my team is up to the challenge for that. Would Ludicolo still be able to help the team handle or that, or am I worrying aboht a small threat that I can cover with my team already?
You have Aegislash which takes on Sylveon with little to no problems. Talonflame also does a lot to Sylveon as it has priority Brave Bird and resists Hyper Voice.

You have Aegislash which takes on Sylveon with little to no problems. Talonflame also does a lot to Sylveon as it has priority Brave Bird and resists Hyper Voice.
okie dokie, thanks for the help! I really appreciate it :)

Edit: It looks like I've run into a problem. My Wigglytuff already has AV, so what should I do with Ludicolo? Someone recommended Teeter Dance and Expert Belt, and even then, I'm not sure how that works.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)