VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Follow up question, (sorry, im trying to get into vgc more) why is vgc a double battle format instead of singles? Is there any particular reason why gamefreak made it like this is is that just how it works?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Follow up question, (sorry, im trying to get into vgc more) why is vgc a double battle format instead of singles? Is there any particular reason why gamefreak made it like this is is that just how it works?
I don't think they've ever given a concrete reason but it's just always been this way. The game's more balanced around doubles anyway, and things that are outrageously broken in singles tend to be less of an issue in doubles.

P.S. you picked a bad time to get into vgc lol

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think they've ever given a concrete reason but it's just always been this way. The game's more balanced around doubles anyway, and things that are outrageously broken in singles tend to be less of an issue in doubles.
Oh ok, i was just wondering since doubles is a bit more complicated than singles is from what i can see.

I think that it has something to do with the length of the battles. Double battles progress a lot faster than Single battles and stalling tactics are not nearly as viable, which is good for official tournaments where time is a factor.

Oh ok, i was just wondering since doubles is a bit more complicated than singles is from what i can see.
I also think it is because doubles is more demanding to play in terms of how much you need to think about, you have to predict what the opponent does with two Pokemon instead of one, what to bring and lead, etc., and also because singles stall in the final of Worlds would be pretty boring to watch :/

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
The VGC 16 metagame will rpobably be the worst VGC metagame to ever exist, having Uber stuff run wild makes for a pretty garbage meta, although it certainly will be playable and kind of enjoyable
meh ill wait until next year lol

Simple question:in competitions (that can be world championships,regionals or whatever) can I use a version of Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby that I downloaded from the Nintendo E-Shop or I must use the cartridge?

Simple question:in competitions (that can be world championships,regionals or whatever) can I use a version of Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby that I downloaded from the Nintendo E-Shop or I must use the cartridge?
You can use games from the E-shop, yes.

The VGC 16 metagame will rpobably be the worst VGC metagame to ever exist, having Uber stuff run wild makes for a pretty garbage meta, although it certainly will be playable and kind of enjoyable
To the casual fan one would argue 2015 was probably the worst since there was so few variety between the different teams in top 8

Well, at least for someone who hasn't played before. The meta is a lot more unforgiving than previous years due to the vastly increased Power Level. Time will tell how it shakes out from a spectator perspective though. My guess is by States hopefully the meta will advance to the point where Primal Groudon and Xerneas have fairly consistant counters. (Xerneas would be a lot easier than Primal-G in this regard, imo)

Edit: littlelucario If you do plan to sit this season out: if you are completely new then I would consider waiting for the Meta to stablize more and copying a team or two and try piloting it a bit to get a feel for it. Sure the meta for 2017 will be vastly different (imo it'll have new Gen 7 'mons) than this one, but a lot of the tactical stuff will mostly be the same. Don't go all super serious, but do consider practice.

Edit: littlelucario If you do plan to sit this season out: if you are completely new then I would consider waiting for the Meta to stablize more and copying a team or two and try piloting it a bit to get a feel for it. Sure the meta for 2017 will be vastly different (imo it'll have new Gen 7 'mons) than this one, but a lot of the tactical stuff will mostly be the same. Don't go all super serious, but do consider practice.
Gen 7 isn't coming out in 2016, it's going to be either Pokemon Z or Pokemon XZ YZ. At best Gen 7 games will come out sometime in 2017 and the rules will change to needing gen 7 games for the 2018 season

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
You can go to the regionals just to spectate, right? There's going to be one in February that's super close to where I live, and I wanted to know if I can just go to watch and maybe meet some California homies.

You can go to the regionals just to spectate, right? There's going to be one in February that's super close to where I live, and I wanted to know if I can just go to watch and maybe meet some California homies.
Only if they have it set up so one or two of the games gets broadcast on some TVs or something. Otherwise no.

Edit to ask a question: I recently started a new Save file on a copy of Y to RNG for a Yveltal. What nature would be best to go for? I was thinking either Timid or Modest, although a defensive nature seems like it would work fairly well too. Not really sure what set to go for either... Would mostly depend on the nature.

Last edited:
Yeah, plenty of people go just to watch, I've done it before. Can't hover over people's shoulders of course, but they usually play the finals on a big TV. Can also just hang around, trade/battle random people, etc.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Only if they have it set up so one or two of the games gets broadcast on some TVs or something. Otherwise no.

Edit to ask a question: I recently started a new Save file on a copy of Y to RNG for a Yveltal. What nature would be best to go for? I was thinking either Timid or Modest, although a defensive nature seems like it would work fairly well too. Not really sure what set to go for either... Would mostly depend on the nature.
I think a speed increasing nature is your best bet so it can outspeed the primals. 99 is a pretty odd speed tier.

I have a question. I will try to write correctly, but I am French, so I have difficulties.

Can I use a 6IV ditto from this site http://www.metamorph6iv.net/ and use it for make babies for trading ?

How can I get a legal Ditto with good IV ? Can I ask for it somewhere in Smogon ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)