VGC VGC 2015 The Wrath of Kangaskhan

What is the most broken Pokémon in VGC in your opinion?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey guys, this is SkarmSteel in my 2nd VGC RMT. This team is for the VCG 2015 season, and i'm posting it because this is the team i decided to use on the in-game ladder. With nationals being in less than 2 weeks, i am concerned that is kinda late for catching any other legendary, so this is DEFINITELY the only team that i will be able to use. This is the first look to the team:

At first glance, it looks like a pretty standart team. Nothing new, everything should be on the top 12 most used Pokémon. Here's a in-depth analysis of each Pokémon:

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Superpower

Landorus is pretty well known in VGC since it was introduced on B2W2. It just have everything a Pokémon need: Good typing, wide-coverage moves, an awesome ability, decent bulk and a great speed stat. I really didn't got too in-depth with the EV spread, and i didn't got a FLAWLESS Landorus in-game, but it was decent enough to use. Each team needs an Intimidator, and Landorus fits the role pretty well. I chose to put a Choice Scarf on it because my team isn't really that fast, since my fastest Pokémon was Kangaskhan, so anything that had more than 167 Speed could eventually deal some trouble to my team. Max Speed to outspeed anything below my Landorus-T speed (Specially to beat Mega Manectric 1 on 1), Adamant because i need extra power. Earthquake for a STAB move that had plenty of power and coverage, Rock Slide over Stone Edge because i couldn't afford to miss moves that often, and the 30% chance of flinching could be useful on hard matches and bo3s, U-turn to get away from dangerous situations safely, get momentum and deal damage at the same time, and Superpower to hit Normal and Steel types harder, or when i can't use EQ because of having a partner vulnerable to it.

Thundurus @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 212 HP / 128 Def / 76 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt

Obviosly i didn't got those IVs in my In-Game Thundurus, but i got lucky and got Hidden Power Ice with somewhat decent IVs in SpD and Speed(those were the one missing). As I said, my team is rather slow, so having a little of speed control is nice. Taunt allows me to prevent Cresselia from setting up TR, also prevents Togekiss' Tailwind, forces Aegislash to switch out after taunt, etc. Taunt is a standart utility move that helps me a lot. Thunderbolt is the STAB move (and only move) on Thundurus that's meant to hit hard enough to pick 2HKOs on various opponents, and HP Ice is for general coverage against the Lati Twins, Landorus, Garchomp, and things that are weak to Ice but Resist Electric. The following EV spread avoids the OHKO from LO Draco Meteor from Hydreigon, also gives Ludicolo a little chance of OHKO with Hydro Pump on the Rain. It endures Kangaskhan's Max Attack Jolly Return and has a chance to survive Adamant Max Attack Play Rough from Mega Mawile. When it comes to offensive, it can't do to much, but it has enough SpA to OHKO Talonflame with a Thunderbolt.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

The mega of my choice on this team, and for a reason. It's Mega Kangaskhan, the mega that gives the attacks 2 times due to Parental Bond. Not much thinking about this one either, i just know that Adamant Bulky Mega Kangaskhan has won popularity over this set, but i like this set more due to 2 reasons:
  1. It outspeeds most Pokémon that can burn it.
  2. Is fast enough to take care of other 100 base speed Pokémon, such as Zard Y
Well, Fake Out ensures me my mega evolution, PuP allows me to recover my attack after an Intimidate, Sucker Punch hits offensive Ghosts such as Aegislash and has priority, and Double Edge over Return because it has plenty of Power, allowing Sylveon to pick KO's with ease.

Sylveon @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 112 SpA / 108 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Hyper Voice
- Helping Hand
- Psyshock

VGC players have learned through the season that this cute creature is not as cute as it look. It is a monster when it comes to offensive, so it is in my team for that big reason (and for dragons, ofc). Sylveon Hyper Voice helps my mons so much picking KOs that has become my MVP in most matches. Helping Hand Support allows me to boost my moves and help Pokémon such as Bisharp or Kangaskhan, picking KOs on mons that they normally can't OHKO. Psyshock is my coverage move, have been used pretty little, but it helps me against Mega Gengar & Friends. Protect is mainly because Landorus locks himself into Earthquake 88% of the time, and is a standart move on the format. About the EV spread, allows me to take Modest Mega Charizard Y Overheat in the sun, and with that i can take nearly any special attack in the metagame bar +2 Quiet Aegislash Flash Cannon. 36 EVs in defense allows me to take Adamant non-banded max attack bullet punch from Scizor 100% of the time. That detail is useful because it allows me to scout if it is Lum Berry, LO or Choice Band Scizor. The rest was in SpA because i wanted to have more power, so speed investment was not considerated.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 60 SpA / 148 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Until now, most of you could realise the big weakness to Rain teams that my team had. So i HAD to choose Rotom. Rotom and Landorus are the complements of each other, covering weaknesses (grass is not common at all on VGC) and covering Pokémon that each other cannot handle. This is the standart set made to survive Mega Zard Y Solar Beam and Mega Kangaskhan Double Edge 100% of the time.

Zangetsu (Bisharp) (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Protect

Honestly, my team doesn't appreciate either Sylveon's company nor Intimidate. Bisharp is here just for that. Pretty standart set as well, no special EV's involved, just Bisharp as it is. The only special thing about this Bisharp are the cool glasses that make him able to OHKO Cresselia with Helping Hand support from Sylveon. Is beatiful, isn't it?

My common leads and why do i lead with them

There are 3 leads that i really use, and 2 that i want to use when the moment arrive:
  1. Kangaskhan+Sylveon: Pretty good lead overall, Sylveon takes care of anything Kangaskhan fears, and Fake Out+Hyper Voice is not something that much mons want to take on turn 1.
  2. Sylveon+Thundurus: My lead against TR teams. Thundurus goes for taunt on the TR setter, and Sylveon goes for Hyper Voice. Not that difficult to understand.
  3. Thundurus+Landorus: Thundurus and Landorus are like the classic Mind and Brawl combination, hitting from both sides. Thundurus appreciates Landorus' intimidate against the physical leads, as Landorus can Earthquake freely due to the fact that Thundurus is Flying type. Everyone wins.
  4. Bisharp+Sylveon: This duo does a pretty good work in leading. Same than the Landorus+Thundurus, both have a pretty good offensive typing combination.
  5. Landorus+Rotom: Not really that much to say, except that this lead hates physical sweepers so much, that they must run scared to home.

Damage Calculations
  • 252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Sylveon: 152-180 (75.2 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Sylveon: 168-200 (83.1 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Sheer Force Conkeldurr Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Sylveon: 184-218 (91 - 107.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
  • 112+ SpA Life Orb Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Conkeldurr: 159-190 (75 - 89.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Sylveon: 194-230 (96 - 113.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 112+ SpA Life Orb Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 113-134 (80.1 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 112+ SpA Life Orb Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 148+ SpD Rotom-W: 64-75 (40.7 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 60 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 108 SpD Sylveon: 51-61 (25.2 - 30.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
  • 112+ SpA Life Orb Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 101-121 (59.4 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Sylveon: 102-120 (50.4 - 59.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 72 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 140-168 (82.3 - 98.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 212 HP / 128 Def Thundurus: 88-104 (48.6 - 57.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 72 SpA Thundurus Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 136-160 (74.3 - 87.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Garchomp Rock Slide vs. 212 HP / 128 Def Thundurus: 72-86 (39.7 - 47.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 212 HP / 128 Def Thundurus: 141-166 (77.9 - 91.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 72 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 176-210 (114.2 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 72 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 12 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 116-138 (75.8 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 244+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Heat Wave vs. 212 HP / 76+ SpD Thundurus in Sun: 115-136 (63.5 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Helping Hand Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 100+ Def Cresselia: 230-272 (101.3 - 119.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
have you considered specs sylveon? shadow ball can be decent coverage and hyper beam to hit hard for 1 turn isn't bad but considering you are using hyper voice and either kang can fake out a potential threat while the other gets knocked out by hyper voice or thunderus taunts one mon and both get his by a specs pixilate hyper voice. Also ideas for a 6th mon would be competitive milotic to discourage intimidate users, or amoongus as a great supporting mon

have you considered specs sylveon? shadow ball can be decent coverage and hyper beam to hit hard for 1 turn isn't bad but considering you are using hyper voice and either kang can fake out a potential threat while the other gets knocked out by hyper voice or thunderus taunts one mon and both get his by a specs pixilate hyper voice. Also ideas for a 6th mon would be competitive milotic to discourage intimidate users, or amoongus as a great supporting mon
I already have Bisharp as my Defiant user, even when Milotic seems prominent, it isn't that good. Also, even Milotic will give me some advantage agaisnt rain teams, it will give me some trouble to replace for someone, everyone seems to do their job rather good and Milotic will give me more troubles dealing with Aegislash if i replace Bisharp with Milotic. I'm not considering using Specs Sylveon for the same reason i'm using Helping Hand: Sylveon is really bulky and can run plethora of supportive moves like Helping Hand, Heal Bell, etc. Amoonguss seems like a good idea, but there's really no point on using it. I don't have anything that can really setup, and i don't need many threats asleep as Sylveon covers pretty much everything on the metagame besides Ferrothorn and Aegislash. Follow Me/Rage Powder doesn't seem as prominent as last year due to many Pokémon can run Wide Range moves, such as Hyper Voice, Earthquake, Rock Slide, Heat Wave, and Discharge, so there's really no point for me on using Amoonguss.

VGC players have learned through the season that this cute creature is not as cute as it look. It is a monster when it comes to offensive, so it is in my team for that big reason (and for dragons, ofc). Sylveon Hyper Voice helps my mons so much picking KOs that has become my MVP in most matches. Helping Hand Support allows me to boost my moves and help Pokémon such as Bisharp or Kangaskhan, picking KOs on mons that they normally can't OHKO. Psyshock is my coverage move, have been used pretty little, but it helps me against Mega Gengar & Friends. Protect is mainly because Landorus locks himself into Earthquake 88% of the time, and is a standart move on the format. About the EV spread, allows me to take Modest Mega Charizard Y Overheat in the sun, and with that i can take nearly any special attack in the metagame bar +2 Quiet Aegislash Flash Cannon. 36 EVs in defense allows me to take Adamant non-banded max attack bullet punch from Scizor 100% of the time. That detail is useful because it allows me to scout if it is Lum Berry, LO or Choice Band Scizor. The rest was in SpA because i wanted to have more power, so speed investment was not considerated.
I forgot Sylveon's calc about Zard Y's Overheat in the sun, so here it is:
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 252 HP / 108 SpD Sylveon in Sun: 156-184 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Sebberball

formerly BoXeD
hey skarm, if i may ask, why protect on the laundromat? i found resto chesto works better in VGC 2015, it works like your old set, but bulkier:
Rotom-Wash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 132 HP / 80 Def / 36 SpA / 188 SpD / 72 Spe
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
and as for mega kang, crunch is much better over sucker punch, as in if they know your mega kang only has sucker punch that can hurt aegislash, even with the support of your other pokemon, its still hard to take it down, so try out crunch instead, as long as its pentagon legal. other than that, nice team bruh

Hi I recommend this set so that you can have a guaranteed survive on a Life Orb Iron Head Bisharp.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 212 HP / 192 Def / 80 SpA / 24 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Protect / Helping Hand

• 252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 212 HP / 192 Def Sylveon: 162-192 (82.2 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 212 HP / 24 SpD Sylveon: 134-158 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 80+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Salamence: 206-246 (121.1 - 144.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hopefully this helps your team a bit and I also suggest you improve your Kangaskhan set to perhaps something better and more optimum instead of the 252 spreads. I recommend Level 51's spread.

EVs: 212 HP / 108 Atk / 60 Def / 20 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
– Fake Out
– Double-Edge
– Sucker Punch
– Low Kick
  • Survives Modest Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor 100% of the time
  • Survives Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick 100% of the time
  • Outruns Mega Gyarados and Milotic by one point after Mega Evolving
Besides that you could further change up your Thundurus spread a bit by using a sitrus berry and also tweaking its EVs. I have Level 51's set below too, which you can use.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 104 Def / 60 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
– Thunderbolt
– Taunt
– Thunder Wave
– Hidden Power [Ice]

• Survives fully invested Adamant Mega Kangaskhan’s Double Edge with Sitrus Berry 100% of the time
  • Outruns Adamant Landorus-T by two Speed points (and thus my Charizard by one point)
Hopefully this will help you :) I like the double genie combo, it looks great. And also hopefully you will have more success with the team changes I suggested.

P.S Level 51 is the top player in my country :p and I'm second to him

Hi I recommend this set so that you can have a guaranteed survive on a Life Orb Iron Head Bisharp.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
EVs: 212 HP / 192 Def / 80 SpA / 24 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Protect / Helping Hand

• 252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 212 HP / 192 Def Sylveon: 162-192 (82.2 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 212 HP / 24 SpD Sylveon: 134-158 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 80+ SpA Choice Specs Pixilate Sylveon Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Salamence: 206-246 (121.1 - 144.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hopefully this helps your team a bit and I also suggest you improve your Kangaskhan set to perhaps something better and more optimum instead of the 252 spreads. I recommend Level 51's spread.

EVs: 212 HP / 108 Atk / 60 Def / 20 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
– Fake Out
– Double-Edge
– Sucker Punch
– Low Kick
  • Survives Modest Choice Specs Hydreigon Draco Meteor 100% of the time
  • Survives Adamant Mega Kangaskhan Low Kick 100% of the time
  • Outruns Mega Gyarados and Milotic by one point after Mega Evolving
Besides that you could further change up your Thundurus spread a bit by using a sitrus berry and also tweaking its EVs. I have Level 51's set below too, which you can use.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 236 HP / 104 Def / 60 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
– Thunderbolt
– Taunt
– Thunder Wave
– Hidden Power [Ice]

• Survives fully invested Adamant Mega Kangaskhan’s Double Edge with Sitrus Berry 100% of the time
  • Outruns Adamant Landorus-T by two Speed points (and thus my Charizard by one point)
Hopefully this will help you :) I like the double genie combo, it looks great. And also hopefully you will have more success with the team changes I suggested.

P.S Level 51 is the top player in my country :p and I'm second to him
Dude, this changes are amazing n_n. About the Thundurus, are you sure i should switch Sitrus to Thundurus and Lefties to Rotom-W? Or should i use Chesto Rest Rotom-W set?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)