VGC 2015 Viability Rankings (B Rank Nominations)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gastrodon: D --> B-/B - Gastrodon fills a niche which the metagame otherwise lacks: Storm Drain. This, in conjunction with its great typing, make Gastrodon one of the best checks to rain in the format, and it can very easily shut down major rain Pokemon like Politoed, M-Swampert and, provided it is maintained in usable condition, offensive variants are even able to beat Ludicolo one-on-one if they carry Sludge Bomb, making it a very good anti-rain TR attacker. This in conjunction with somewhat good bulk make it a good all-around 'mon. Gastrodon's biggest use, however, is on sandstorm teams; its great typing in conjunction with Storm Drain makes it the strategy's best way of beating rain offense, with an immunity to sandstorm damage and the Water-type moves which would otherwise rip sandstorm apart - especially after a boost from the weather. Let me refer you to the description of a B rank Pokemon:

This matches Gastrodon almost perfectly, with all of it after the first sentence applying to it (hence why I have put it in mid/low B).
big this, i have no f****** idea why gastrodon is in D rank. Sure it lacks offensive pressure, but its damn bulky, has great typing, and access to STAB Earth Power. Storm Drain is so nice, too

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Ty lucariojr as I just copied almost all of what you said teehee
Aegislash -> A+ - wide guard, bulk, power, and resisting STABs from Metagross, mega salamence, mawile, kang, etc... Make it very good. It can run substitute for free turns or weakness policy to punish non STAB attacks and KO stuff back.
Amoonguss -> A - still a great pokemon but ORASH brings back thundurus and new megas like Metagross and salamence which OHKO it. Still great but ORAS has just added some more weaknesses.
Bisharp -> A- - good utility in removing items, picking off weak(ened) mons, slays the new fairy types and punishes foolish intimidates.
Charizard (Mega Y) -> A - yes the sun boosted attacks are great but terakion is yet another check to charizard because of its x4 weakness to rocks.
Cresselia -> A+ - versatile support, godly bulk, but checked more easily nowadays.
Garchomp -> B+ - it's just outclassed by landog and subchomp being unable to guard against hyper voice is terrible (along with dclaw+EQ being walled by togekiss). it still takes care of char-y and has great lategame potential, though.
Heatran -> A - bulky fire type, and can pull off sub+protect just as well as aegislash can. it can also go on the offensive and has great coverage along with fairy resist and Metagross salamence stab resists. Is A because of common ground attacks
Mawile (Mega) -> A- - mawile just isn't as good as it was last year. Heatran, lando, etc.. bring newer weaknesses and it really shouldn't be used over mega Metagross unless you run trick room or desperately need fairy attacks.
Metagross (Mega) -> A+ - fast, bulky, powerful. Can run a coverage move or priority.
Milotic -> B - this is a worse suicune if it doesn't have a competitive boost, which is by no means a guaranteed thing. even if it does get the competitive boost, it can easily go to waste if it doesn't max out or nearly max out its special attack.
Raikou -> B - it has a place in rain because of its typing and movepool, but it's still a small niche to fill. outside of that, it make a really cool choice specs user b/c of its speed, talonflame checking potential, and power.
Rotom (Heat) -> A- - it's still a good bulky fire-type that is same as rotom w but different weaknesses and strengths depending on team. Can also run offensive life orb now.
Rotom (Wash) -> A - similar to rotom h but has better defensive typing and works better in general as a bulk WoW user.
Salamence -> B+ - there are better options than mence for choiced dragons (latios, hydreigon) and even support dragons (goodra, latias) so the only reason to use regular mence is for intimidate. It CAN go mixed with rock slide or some thing and is still pretty good.
Salamence (Mega) -> S - intimidate pre-mega, godly physical bulk and amazing STAB double-edge/return on top of nabbing a potential dragon dance. Too many sets and too much bulk. Roost set is being used and just makes it better on late game and harder to kill. Very versatile and powerful.
Suicune -> A+ - cresselia-like bulk, speed control options, snarl being good... the only thing suicune can't do is deal damage and burn consistently, the former of which can be rectified by using calm mind to sit on teams once certain mons are removed. It only has electric and grass weaknesses, and offensive types of these aren't too common.
Sylveon -> A+ - hyper voice
Talonflame -> A+ - brave bird
Thundurus -> A+ - thunder wave/taunt

Venusaur (Mega) -> B - megasaur is still good, but not while it has bad matchups with the majority of the meta. the two archetypes it can perform well against are rain and sand, and they often use talonflame and/or megamence. should do well in double mega teams and those that can target down these threats consistently.
Zapdos -> A- - good bulk, speed and power. it can sometimes be outclassed by thundurus, but the bulk it provides as well as roost helps its case considerably. it also has tailwind, which is arguably more useful than a non-prankster thunder wave.

e: some additional things:

Gengar -> A - great utility and power, and while it's frail, it gets huge props for walling mega kang and being immune to most fake outs to prevent trick room and most speed control options. icy wind and being able to check the now-popular sylveon is certainly a huge boon.
Gyarados -> A- - intimidate, speed control, and taunt. Bulky variants can be annoying and dragon dance is equally good. The mega form is also great but it needs a DD to put in as much work as Metagross, mence, or Kang can because of new tutor moves and speed creep
Hydreigon -> A - dark is an amazing attacking type now and its draco meteor is the strongest out there (not counting modest latios because... it's not that good outside of worlds meta lol). speed is less of an issue this year and it has a new dance partner in mega metagross.
Latios -> A- - still fast, decently bulky and has the draco meteor, but no dragon gem really, really hurts it, not to mention fairy types. even so, it still has utility while on the field even after it drops a meteor with tailwind and helping hand, and LO draco meteor is still powerful.
Togekiss -> A- - still has amazing support with follow me, but despite the immunity to dragon, it's managed to become less durable thanks to steel being a more relevant attacking type (aegislash, bisharp, megagross) and the overall power creep provided by megas. it's still has amazing support though.
Terrakion -> A- - great mega kang check with good utility with its non-STAB/protect slot. STAB rock slide is always useful.

Here to nominate non-mega Swampert (special attacker) for C+/B- ranking (from unranked).
I'm gonna quote what I posted in the Dark Horse thread the other day for my reasoning, along with the fact the Angel Miranda successfully used it on his first place Premier Challenge Team. Btw if you guys want calcs for this I can provide them.

Swampert @ Expert Belt
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Wide Guard

Now you may be thinking non-Mega Swampert isn't viable anywhere besides maybe UU, and a special Swampert isn't viable anywhere at all, but this really isn't true. Every opponent I've faced with this Swampert on my team has played expecting and made plays to counter a physical Mega Swampert (like Will-O-Wisping it, Faking it out, etc. while my bigger threat is free to do its thing), meanwhile what they are really facing is a special based normal Swampert. It has pretty good coverage, posing as a hard counter for to major threats like Lando-T (OHKO), Thundurus (2HKO), Heatran (OHKO without Shuca Berry, guaranteed 2HKO with Shuca Berry or Air Balloon), Mega Mawile (OHKO), MegaMence (OHKO), Talonflame (OHKO), Aegislash (OHKO vs. Blade, 2HKO vs. Shield), Hydreigon (2HKO), Garchomp (OHKO), Mega Gengar (68.8% chance to OHKO), and many other major threats currently running around the VGC meta. It also checks things like Rotom-W, even if it is unable to kill it itself. Its only fear is the not so common grass type in the form of things like Mega Venusaur, Amoongus, Ludicolo, Breloom, Mega Sceptile (as it outspeeds Swampert) or MegaZard Y in the sun (although out of the sun, MegaZard Y is destroyed by Swampert). Furthermore, it offers great support in doubles with Wide Guard, thus providing a check for Specs Sylveon's Hyper Voice, along with other moves like Rock Slide, Earthquake, or even a Hyper Voice from MegaMence (although it would OHKO MegaMence) or Mega Gardevoir. Expert Belt, Modest Nature, and 228 SpA are meant for near maximum damage against the things it counters, while still having a reliable amount of bulk to be able to withstand a few hits.

Although this variant of Swampert may not be as powerful as its more popular, Mega counterpart, the Dark Horse normal, special Swampert may even be considered better by some people for the role it fulfills with its ability to check, counter, and OHKO so many popular mons in today's meta.

EDIT: Also forgot to mention it can scare some physical attackers with Scald
Also some things I feel like should be done for reasons other people have stated above (so then I also don't need to write arguments for each of these and can make them quick.
Things already in the A range (did not mention if it should stay at A+):
Charizard-Y -> A
Garchomp -> A-
Heatran -> A
Milotic -> B+
Raikou -> B
Rotom-H -> A-
Rotom-W -> A
Salamence -> B
Salemence (Mega) -> S (Maybe. Definitely no lower than A+)
Venusaur (Mega) -> B
Zapdos -> A- (with Thundurus outclassing it in many ways apart from Tailwind and Roost and Thundurus staying at A+)

Things below the A range:
Gardevoir (Mega) -> A-
Gengar -> A
Gyarados -> A- (also why can't I find Mega Gyarados on this list at all?)
Hydreigon -> A-
Terrakion -> A-
Togekiss -> A- (Follow Me set)

ok, so voting. this time, we'll be doing a two-stage vote, with pokemon currently in A rank to be voted on first. we'll get to the rest of the nominations after this vote because there's a lot of pokemons to vote on!! use the following template to vote.

Aegislash X -> X
Amoonguss X -> X
Bisharp X -> X
Charizard (Mega Y) X -> X
Cresselia X -> X
Garchomp X -> X
Heatran X -> X
Mawile (Mega) X -> X
Metagross (Mega) X -> X
Milotic X -> X
Raikou X -> X
Rotom (Heat) X -> X
Rotom (Wash) X -> X
Salamence X -> X
Salamence (Mega) X -> X
Suicune X -> X
Sylveon X -> X
Talonflame X -> X
Thundurus X -> X
Venusaur (Mega) X -> X
Zapdos X -> X

if you want a pokemon to stay in A+, put 'Stay'. i'll tally the votes sometime tuesday probably.

Aegislash A+ -> A-
Amoonguss A+ -> A
Bisharp Stay
Charizard (Mega Y) A+ -> A
Cresselia Stay
Garchomp A+ -> A-
Heatran Stay
Mawile (Mega) A+ -> A
Metagross (Mega) A+ -> A-
Milotic A+ -> A-
Raikou A+ -> B
Rotom (Heat) A+ -> A-
Rotom (Wash) Stay
Salamence A+ -> B
Salamence (Mega) Stay
Suicune Stay
Sylveon Stay
Talonflame Stay
Thundurus A+ -> A
Venusaur (Mega) A+ -> A
Zapdos A+ -> A

Last edited:
Aegislash A -> Stay
Amoonguss A -> A-
Bisharp A -> A+
Charizard (Mega Y) A -> Stay
Cresselia A+ -> Stay
Garchomp A -> B
Heatran A -> A+
Mawile (Mega) A -> A-
Metagross (Mega) A -> A-
Milotic A -> B
Raikou A -> B
Rotom (Heat) A -> A-
Rotom (Wash) A -> Stay
Salamence A -> C
Salamence (Mega) A -> Stay
Suicune A -> Stay
Sylveon A -> Stay
Talonflame A -> A-
Thundurus A -> Stay
Venusaur (Mega) A -> B
Zapdos A -> A-

Aegislash Stay
Amoonguss A+ -> A
Bisharp Stay
Charizard (Mega Y) Stay
Cresselia Stay
Garchomp A+ -> A-
Heatran Stay
Mawile (Mega) A+ -> A
Metagross (Mega) A+ -> A
Milotic A+ -> B+
Raikou A+ -> A-
Rotom (Heat) A+ -> A-
Rotom (Wash) Stay
Salamence A+ -> B+
Salamence (Mega) A+ -> S
Suicune Stay
Sylveon Stay
Talonflame Stay
Thundurus A+ -> A (It's still good, but the meta is so powerful and strong, that even a bulky set is really easy to knock out. But dishing out T-Waves/Taunt is still reliable and clutch)
Venusaur (Mega) Stay ( Why are people voting M-Venu so low? Aaron showed us how good M-Venu is at Apex. It's a solid Fairy check/counter [which Fairy type is one of the most dominent type in the game imo] and is a reliable answer to Rain Teams. Thick Fat makes it such a great mon' allowing it take more hits as well. It really isn't a bad mega and is underused. )
Zapdos A+ -> A

Last edited:

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion
I'm not sure if we're having a section for A or if it's just A+ or A- but i'm gonna assume the latter. Will update this if i'm wrong
Aegislash Stay
Amoonguss A+ -> A-
Bisharp Stay
Charizard (Mega Y) A+ -> A-
Cresselia Stay
Garchomp A+ -> B
Heatran Stay
Mawile (Mega) Stay
Metagross (Mega) A+ -> A- (in thinking about it, it gets walled by quite a lot of common pokemon so i'm gonna change my mind lol)
Milotic A+ -> B
Raikou A+ -> B
Rotom (Heat) A+ -> A-
Rotom (Wash) Stay
Salamence A+ -> B/C
Salamence (Mega) Stay (a little tentative on voting this to S so i'm gonna stick with A+ for now)
Suicune A+ -> A-
Sylveon Stay
Talonflame A+ -> A-
Thundurus Stay
Venusaur (Mega) A+ -> A-
Zapdos A+ -> A-

Last edited:

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Aegislash A+ -> A-
Amoonguss A+ -> A
Bisharp A+ -> A
Charizard (Mega Y) A+ -> A
Cresselia Stay
Garchomp A+ -> B+
Heatran Stay
Mawile (Mega) A+ -> A-
Metagross (Mega) A+ -> B+
Milotic A+ -> B+
Raikou A+ -> B
Rotom (Heat) A+ -> A
Rotom (Wash) A+ -> A
Salamence A+ -> B
Salamence (Mega) A+ -> S
Suicune Stay
Sylveon A+ -> A
Talonflame A+ -> A-
Thundurus Stay
Venusaur (Mega) A+ -> A
Zapdos A+ -> A-

Last edited:
Aegislash Stay
Amoonguss Stay
Bisharp A+ -> A-
Cresselia Stay
Garchomp A+ -> B
Heatran Stay
Mawile (Mega) Stay
Metagross (Mega) A+ -> B (tl;dr a lotta competition with mmaw)
Milotic A+ -> B
Raikou A+ -> B (nb itself, just a lot of competition)
Rotom (Heat) A+ -> B
Rotom (Wash) Stay
Salamence A+ -> A-
Salamence (Mega) Stay
Suicune A+ -> A- (speed control queen)
Sylveon Stay
Talonflame A+ -> A-
Thundurus Stay
Venusaur (Mega) ??? (I don't think I have enough knowledge to vote this Pokemon)
Zapdos A+ -> A- (better version of bulky Thundy-I except no TWave)

I just want to clarify there is no "A" Rank only "A+" or "A-" so those of you who have list A Rank might want to go ahead and change that.

Aegislash A+ -> A-
Amoonguss Stay
Bisharp Stay
Cresselia Stay
Garchomp A+ -> B+
Heatran Stay
Mawile (Mega) A+ -> A-
Metagross (Mega) A+ -> A-
Milotic A+ -> B+
Raikou A+ -> B
Rotom (Heat) A+ -> A-
Rotom (Wash) Stay
Salamence A+ -> B/B-
Salamence (Mega) A+ -> S/Stay
Suicune Stay
Sylveon Stay
Talonflame Stay
Thundurus Stay
Venusaur (Mega) A+ -> A-
Zapdos A+ -> A-

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aegislash A -> A+
Amoonguss A -> A+
Bisharp A -> A+
Charizard (Mega Y) A -> A+
Cresselia A+ -> Stay
Garchomp A -> B
Heatran A -> A+
Mawile (Mega) A -> A-
Metagross (Mega) A -> A-
Milotic A -> B
Raikou A -> B
Rotom (Heat) A -> A-
Rotom (Wash) A -> Stay
Salamence A -> C
Salamence (Mega) A -> S
Suicune A -> Stay
Sylveon A -> Stay
Talonflame A -> A-
Thundurus A -> Stay
Venusaur (Mega) A -> B
Zapdos A -> A-

All the votes have been tallied up. I counted everyone calling to move something to A as to stay in A+ by merit of us not having an A tier, just an A+ and A-. In the event of a tie (we had two), I provided my own vote as the deciding factor.

The voted Pokemon are now in the following ranks:

A+ Rank
Aegislash
Amoonguss
Bisharp
Charizard (Mega Y)
Cresselia
Heatran
Mawile (Mega)
Rotom (Wash)
Salamence (Mega)
Suicune
Sylveon
Thundurus
Venusaur (Mega)

A- Rank
Metagross (Mega)
Rotom (Heat)
Talonflame
Zapdos

B Rank
Garchomp
Milotic
Raikou
Salamence

Last edited:

leremyju

Banned deucer.
Ehhhh I feel like an A rank could establish the better A+ ones as there are quite a few right now

Well, in the long run, we're probably going to split up the B and C ranks too, since they're just so large right now. I'd say start with A+ and A-, and add a third ranking if it ends up being needed.

ok since we didn't really get that many noms for A rank, we'll work on B rank and push up anything in B rank into A rank if need be. so nom stuff for B rank or nom stuff in b rank for A rank (i'm looking at you, gengar). i'll write some of my opinions later.

leremyju

Banned deucer.
If we don't have a B assume everything in B+​
Aerodactyl B dactyl is a great mon. It offers edgequake coverage, (rock slide in this case with a 50% chance to flinch at least one mon) tailwind, taunt, and wide guard. However it is very frail,doesn't have too great of a typing,a and is somewhat forced to use a focus sash. It can't fit all of the support moves above so you'll have to pick according to your team.
Arcanine B+ Great defensive mon. It has morning sun, will o wisp, heat wave and other coverage attacks like wild charge or close combat. It's great as a support mon with offensive pressure or just fully offensive.
Breloom B Spore. Just spore. It's decent speed and 100% accurate sleep move is amazing in this meta to create free turns. It also has great fighting coverage for mega kangaskan and other things like Tyranitar.
Charizard (Mega X) B+ Zard X isn't all that bad. It hits really strong but it's basically a poor mans Mega Salamence. It can function as a Dragon Dancer but is held back by its bad pre mega ability and weakness to Landorus-T. Would like to see a bulkier Will o Wisp.
Conkeldurr B+ I am a hug fan of Conkeldurr. It beats Bisharp, Kangaskhan and can ice punch mega mence. The only thing holding this thing back is intimidates and Sylveon spam in the meta. Iron Fist and Guts are too great abilities also.
Entei B- Entei is somewhat of a lesser Arcanine as a support role. But it's offensive variant isn't bad at all.
Ferrothorn B- ferrothorn doesn't seem as annoying as last ten with Low Kick Kang, powerful Knock offs, etc... It's somewhat a physical Venusaur and just annoying in general
Garchomp B Honestly doesn't deserve the hate. It's just a weaker Landorus, but it's in a better speed tier and can run Substitute, even Swords Dance and has dragon coverage. Picking this over Lando T is very situational
Gardevoir B- Gardevoir was a world champ last year because there weren't too many fairies but now we have Mega Altaria, Hyper Voice Mega Gardevoir and the ever present Sylveon. It's Scarf variant doesn't hit hard if the move is nt super effective while its Specs version is too slow. Can still run support with Will o, Heal Pulse, Trick Room, etc... But is greatly outclassed.
Gardevoir (Mega) B+ Finally gets the Hyper Voice it needed. Hits hard af and is faster little frailer Sylveon.
Gengar A- offensive versions and support roles can be fulfilled greatly by Gengar. Holding it back is Bisharp and generally being frail.
Gengar (Mega) B+ Using this over Gengar for offensive or support roles is kind of dumb. Offensive variants are still good but you are better off using a different mega and normal Gengar. Still a great perish trap mon tho.
Greninja B- this boy unlike in OU just doesn't hit hard enough. It faces 4MSS syndrome in this metagame because if it can't hit anything super effectively it's not really too threatening.
Gothitelle B Shadow tag is still a great ability but it's just outclassed by Cresselia now. The only niche it has over Cress is Tickle and Stag.
Gyarados B intimidate and bulky water type is great. Ddance variants are powerful and can take dragons decently well. Not a bad mon but there are lots of other options people consider over this.
Hariyama B- doesn't really have a niche over Conkeldurr other than Fake out.
Hitmontop B intimidate, wide guard, etc... Great support mon but there are better options teehee.
Hydreigon B+ Hydreigon isn't too bad. It's specs variant isn't too good due to the speed creep and 4x weak to fairy sucks. Scarf version is still good but just nerfed due to average speed tier.
Latios B this nigga ain't that bad with helping hand and strong STAB and ice beams. Not bad but has notable flaws such as 4MSS and weak to Bisharp.
Ludicolo B I'm in love with da Colo. Ass vest is still good cuz ass vest makes it bulk af. It is also great rain mon with ability to beat Swampert and Politoed. Weakness to birdspam is bad.
Milotic B+ The special Bisharp. It's bukk af and ice coverage along with scald burns is great.
Politoed B good rain mon and only setter. Asides from rain, doesn't do much.
Raichu B+ Annoying af. Fake out and encore is hell and boltbeam coverage is never bad. Is great support for its teamate with lightningrod and just threatening encores.
Raikou B fast snarl, bolt beam coverage. Is kind of like raichu but bulkier, can use ass vest and offers snarl support rather than fake out.
Rotom (Mow) B it's the rotom with a niche of not resisting birdspam! Seriously though, it's a less spammable rotom that is only seen when it's typing is better for a team. Otherwise go with the other rooms.
Salamence B Salamence's niche last year was an Intimidate user that went Special, but now there are simply better options. A support role would be cool but that is somewhat outclassed by Suicune. Offensively, its Physical set is lackluster while its Special attacking set isn't as good as Hydreigon's
Scizor B+ Feint, bullet punch, u turn os really cool. You can beat fairies, ruin protects and grab momentum. A swords dance set wiht bug bite or even trick room option is nice. Very versatile.
Scizor (Mega) B Mega Scizor is just a bulkier slightly harder hitting Scizor with a 10 speed boost. It takes up the slot of a mega shield ping everything normal Scizr does and isn't worth it.
Scrafty B fake out, intimidate is a cool combination it has along with hitmontop that is just 4x weak to fairy. It does have a trick room option over hitmontop and can run Lum to be scarf khan.
Smeargle B Dark Void exists, then Smeargle exists. It has other gimmicks like Transform, Follow Me, and Tailwind.
Terrakion A- Terrakion has risen due to its ability to beat Mega Khangaskan and Bisharp. It can use Lum Berry to beat annoying status while still hit hard. Rock Slide also has the 30% flinch chance.
Thundurus (Therian) B Thundurus Therian isn't too bad although it is outclassed by its other form. Volt Absorb makes it a switch in to annoying Thunder Waves and it can be a hit and run mon with Volt Switch.
Togekiss B+ Follow Me and Tailwand is great. Fairy is still a great defensive typing.
Tyranitar B Tyranitar is a little bit worse due to Landorus-T, Terrakion and Bisharp. However with Excadrill sand becomes viable, and a support or scarf set isn't bad.
Tyranitar (Mega) B- Mega Tyranitar had a niche as being a Dragon Dance user with Rock Slide but it has gotten worse with the aforementioned threats.
Volcarona B+ Volcarona is amazing because it has a quiver dance option and rage powder support. Heat Waves are very good in this meta, especially boosted ones. The bad thing is it's 4x weakness to rocks.

The later stuff will be editted

Last edited:
you missed Gengar, Terrakion, Hydreigon in your vote. All of them need to be in A (A- at least).

Entei and Conkeldurr are both more A than Rotom-H is, too.

there weren't that many nominations (that i saw) for such pokemon, although admittedly i get the feeling that people just thought they couldn't nominate them yet. i agree with you and could make an executive decision to plop those guys in A tier, but i want to see some more nominations from the community. my goal here isn't so much to make a flawless tiering system, but instead promote discussion on what is and isn't good/as good in the current metagame.

For the B rank discussion, lets see... I haven't used most of them, but can comment on what I HAVE used I guess? :P

Garchomp: Seems right at home in B. Its not the feasome king of Dragons it was in '14, but its not dead weight by any means. Its rather difficult to outright KO without a SE hit, and its STAB combo leaves little to be desired. Unfortuanetly, faster Dragons, Ice Punch MegaGross, and a spike in Hyper Voice spamming viable Fairies really put a damper on Garchomp.
Hydreigon: Once widely feared for its ability to 1-2HKO almost everything to ever exist in Gen 5, it's in a mixed bag again: but this time, it has a lot more shit in it. It still weilds its fantastically powerful Draco Meteor that severly weakens or outright OHKO's pretty much everything it hits that isn't pink, Fairy, or Steel typed - and that alone is enough to use Hydreigon. Add in the fact its the best non-Mega Dark Pulse to nail Psychics and Aegislash, and an exceptionally wide coverage movepool and you have a beast worthy of its savage and destructive pokedex entries. And then, comes the shit: Gen 6 was absolutely cruel to Hydreigon, weakening his Dragon STABS and Fire Blast (though Fire Blasts's power drop is rather moot) and creating a whole new type dedicated to stopping Hydreigon's all-consuming wrath forever: Fairy types. Even an unSTAB'd Dazzling Gleam in Doubles does catastrophic damage, and his once flawless Dragon/Dark/Fighting/Fire/Ground is now walled by pretty much every Fairy - most of which are bulky on the Special side. It also took most of the same hits Garchomp did: even MORE faster dragons, Mega Metagross's Ice Punch/Hammer Arm, and a surge in Hyper Voice Fairy types. Hydreigon did gain an amazing partner in crime with Aegislash, however: They resist every type in the game, and are very formidable attackers that hit each other's counters hard. Its also good as a Dragon that gives approximately 0 fucks about Heatran and Aegislash. Hydreigon staying in B is fine: it's not A/S material, but its strengths do hold their own against its multiple faults - and imo, that says a lot.
Hitmontop: Pentagon being a requirement was a bit of a bummer for Hitmontop (RIP Sucker Punch), and the nerf+removal of the Gems destroyed the only offensive presence it ever had. It still has a great deal of support to offer in Intimidate, Wide+Quick Guard, Fake Out, Feint, and maybe even some Role Play shenanigans. On the offhand, the only thing it really has over Scrafty is... a Bug resist, Wide Guard, and a smaller Fairy Weakness. I could see it dropping to C, but I'm not against B either. Not hating on Hitmontop: its still offers 99% of its great support and actually got a buff in being able to spam Wide/Quick Guard for multiple turns if need be.
Not sure if there's anything in B I'd bump up to A. :s

Also, I noticed Mienshao isn't ranked at all. I know it's much more obscure in VGC '15 than it was in '14, but its not exactly on the dismissable level of a female Meowstic either. :P

So, I'd like to suggest Mienshao for C rank. Explained below.
I'm a rather extensive user of it, but as much as I adore it, it's fair to put it a bit low, as it does perfectly fit the description:
C Rank

Reserved for Pokemon that can be effective given a certain situation but otherwise will fall behind compared to higher ranked Pokemon. These Pokemon work well if you can execute your own strategy, but sometimes lose momentum for your team if your opponent has good answers to them. These would be considered "tech" options, where you add them as the 4th, 5th or 6th option on a team and bring them to some matches.
It faces very stiff competition from Terrakion (B) and Infernape (C), something it lacked in VGC14, while also suffering from an increased number of largely insurmountable threats (MegaGross, Mega Gallade, Cresselia, and Terrakion ironically enough), but it does hold some niche of its own to seperate it from its competition. While it is slower than Terrakion and Infernape, it holds the distinction of Wide Guard over both of them, and its High Jump Kick is very seriously the strongest unboosted Fighting attack you'll probably ever see, outshining even the horrors of Adaptability MegaLuke's Close Combat and 252+ Mega Mawile's Play Rough with Reckless and LO. On the plus side, its wide array of supportive moves (Quick Guard+Wide Guard is legal on the same set, Fake Out, and Feint) are moves that can be extremely effective in certain situations, but will also leave you high and dry on occasion. Its fairly small but concise offensive movepool (HJK, Knock Off, Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Poison Jab, HP Ice) offers good utility and power, but is nearly useless against Fairies and the most common Psychics - leaving you pretty screwed against anything reasonably bulky, healthy, and resistant to Fighting. Its Speed tier is somewhat awkward, right in between Garchomp and the 108-110 group, but its still enough to slap around the ever-crowded 100 Speed group. Its kind of like a highly offense-oriented version of Hitmontop: trades Intimidate and a lot of bulk for Speed and sheer power.

tl;dr Mienshao for C rank, I'd be a tad arrogant to call it a B. Great headache-inducing support movepool, stupidly powerful Fighting STAB, but incredibly frail, doomed against status, walled by common threats, and outran and crushed by more than a few things. Garchomp/Hydreigon seem good to stay in B. Hitmontop might be a C, but I'm a bit iffy on that proposal. Can't think of something to bump from B -> A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)