VGC VGC 2016 | My First RMT!

Hey! This is my first RMT, I'm not new at the competitive scene, but I've always been timid on doing these.

The Team:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Double-Edge - Low Kick - Fake Out - Sucker Punch

Mega Kangaskhan, the main Mega of this team. The set is fairly simple, max Speed and Attack for maximum sweep potential. Jolly nature so it can outspeed Adamant Mega Kangaskhan and OHKO with Low Kick or speed-tie with other Jolly Mega Kangaskhans.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 108 HP / 38 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower - Eruption - Earth Power - Protect

The star of the show, my main Primal, Special attacking Groudon. I chose PDon, because it also keeps on check Steel types, such as Ferrothorn and Heatran. Eruption is when Tailwind is up to throw out max power Eruptions + Harsh Sun to both opponents. EVs on Spe gives for outspeeding neutral base 70's and positive base 60's. HP/Def is for surviving EQ from max Attack Primal Groudon.

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 4 HP / 44 Def / 132 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam - Hidden Power [Ground] - Geomancy - Protect

I chose Xerneas because it lets me switch in Dragon types and being my trump card basically. Another self explanatory set. Max speed to keep up with other max speed Xerns. Spread for surviving Max Attack Jolly LO Mega Ray Dragon Ascent and Max SpA Timid Primal Kyogre Hydro Pump in Harsh Rain. Power Herb + Geomancy gives Xerneas sweeping power, and HP Ground checks Heatran and Dialga if PDon isn't in the field.

Crobat (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird - Taunt - Tailwind - Super Fang

I chose Crobat, for Tailwind Support and being immune to Fake Out. I need both of these to increase PDon's speed and also get a guaranteed Tailwind against Fake Out users such as Kangaskhan and Liepard. While also having a fast Taunt, leading me to not get taunted without priority and making Xerneas easier to set up. Weakening opponents with Super Fang giving my sweepers a chance to KO more bulkier opponents in a single turn.

Liepard (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Foul Play - Fake Out - Fake Tears - Roleplay

I chose Liepard because I needed a Fake Out user, having the most fast Fake Out in the game. I also needed to check Harsh Rain that makes PDon unable to sweep, Roleplay for +1 Harsh Sun if a Mega Rayquaza or Primal Kyogre enters battle. Fake Tears is also useful, it lets me check Special Defensive Cresselia, allowing me to KO easier with PDon or Xerneas. Choosing this set was hard, since Liepard has a wide variety of useful moves, such as Taunt, Encore and Thunder Wave.

Salamence (F) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor - Double-Edge - Hyper Voice - Protect

I had one last slot, and I didn't knew who add, so I chose Mega Salamence. She's there for any Fighting counters against my Mega-Kangaskhan. Having a both powerful STAB moves: Draco Meteor and Double-Edge. Hyper Voice is also there when paired up with Liepard, allowing Salamence to dish out more damage with Hyper Voice + Fake Tears.

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Level: 53
EVs: 4 HP / 44 Def / 132 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Geomancy
- Protect

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 108 HP / 38 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Protect

Crobat (F) @ Lum Berry
Level: 51
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Tailwind
- Super Fang

Liepard (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Foul Play
- Fake Out
- Fake Tears
- Roleplay

Salamence (F) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 70
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Protect

Possibly, my biggest problem is not having any solid POgre or Xerneas counters, I'm also lacking Pokemon with redirection.

Last edited:

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello OfficialThatGuy , and welcome to Smogon!

Unfortunately, this RMT is currently not following the rules which can be found in the RMT Resource Thread; specifically, this thread violates rule #4, because you lack sufficient descriptions for each Pokemon on your team. As such, I am afraid that I will have to lock this thread for the time being. If you would like this thread to be reopened, feel free to PM me with your updated RMT, and I would be happy to reopen this thread for you. If you need help making an RMT up to the required standards, I recommend that you carefully read the RMT Resource Thread and check out other RMTs from the Team Showcase and RMT Archive for some examples.

Good luck with your team, and have a nice day!

EDIT: Reopened

Last edited:
This is a fantastic team :)
Just want to go over a few points to help you round out the composition a bit

Your 'Top 5' Matchup pokemon in italics only generally counter a pokemon when used together and will count as 1 check
Xerneas - 2 Checks (Crobat/Groudon) - Good
Primal Groudon - 2 Checks (HP Ground Xerneas/Salamence) - Good
Primal Kyogre - 1 Check (Groudon+Liepard) - Area of improvement
Mega Rayquaza - 2 Checks (Xerneas/Salamence) - Good
Smeargle - 2 Checks (Kangaskhan/Crobat) - Good

As you have mentioned, the team could do with some adjustments to counter stuff like primal kyogre, as groudon can only counter it if brought out late game, and even so it can't do much damage to it with earth power. I will cover this in a bit :)

Try changing liepard to one of the main redirectors (Smeargle/Amoonguss)

Smeargle - Some people love it and others hate it, i don't know about you but smeargle looks like it can do a bunch of stuff on your team.
Follow Me is considered by quite a few people to be 'mandatory' support for xerneas; without it xerneas has a much harder time against steels (without groudon) etc, also follow me doesn't get surpassed by grass types so encore uses like whimsicott don't threaten xerneas as much as they do with rage powder users (i.e amoonguss)
Fake Out is another great niche that smeargle has that means that you don't lack the double fake out support that liepard provides if you swap to smeargle. Smeargle is the only redirector with access to the move.
Dark Void is a big pull factor for smeargle, however a lot of teams are prepared for it :/
Moody can turn games in your favour, but it's completely down to luck
Low bulk+Focus Sash is another perk to smeargle that means you get a free switch into your next mon once xerneas has set up

Amoonguss would be a great choice if you want extra typing coverage against xerneas and kyogre
Spore is a great single target 100% accurate sleep move that improves your TR matchup, and with kangaskhan it can be a great utility option.
Clear Smog is a cool niche move that amoonguss gets to further improve your xerneas matchup as it clears stat changes

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
Timid Nature
- Follow Me
- Fake Out
- Dark Void
- Spiky Shield
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. +2 4 HP / 252 Def Smeargle: 115-136 (87.7 - 103.8%) -- 10.5% chance to OHKO

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Grass Knot
- Clear Smog
  • 252 SpA Primal Kyogre Water Spout (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 188+ SpD Amoonguss in Heavy Rain: 80-95 (36.1 - 42.9%) -- 4.2% chance to 3HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 68 Def Amoonguss: 200-236 (90.4 - 106.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Sitrus Berry recovery

Set Refinements (changes are in bold)

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 12 HP / 20 Def / 20 SpA / 220 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Protect

If you are limited to modest natured groudon in game, then this is a slightly more optimized bulky set you could use. The SpD EVs allow it to take an earth power from fast groudon from full health and the SpA allows you to get the OHKO back on fast groudons. The rest goes into speed and defence: 236 Spe allows you to outspeed max speed smeargle.

However, if you can switch to a fast groudon set it would improve the team's offensive output (totally up to you though):

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 236 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Minimal bulk to optimise offence, the defence EVs allow it to survive a choice band earthquake from landorus-t with max speed and the rest in SpA

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 60 HP / 4 Def / 172 SpA / 20 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot/Moonblast
- Protect

One thing you can do if you want to improve your primal kyogre matchup is to use grass knot as your coverage option (although most xerneas will run moonblast as most bulky kyogres are EV'd to survive this)
The EV spread is something from the sample sets thread and is one that i have enjoyed using myself, so i thought i would share it. Here are some calcs:
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 60 HP / 4 Def Xerneas: 175-208 (83.7 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. 60 HP / 20 SpD Xerneas in Harsh Sunshine: 175-207 (83.7 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ SpA Primal Groudon Eruption (150 BP) vs. +2 60 HP / 20 SpD Xerneas in Harsh Sunshine: 87-103 (41.6 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Crobat @ Lum Berry
EVs: 68 HP / 188 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Quick Guard
- Haze
- Tailwind
- Super Fang

I would definitely swap out brave bird for a more defensive pick, which in most cases should be quick guard which helps tech pranksters etc. Super fang does ample damage (in a lot of cases brave bird does less damage and deals recoil which detracts from bulk, also you were maxing out attack which again takes away from crobat's good bulk). Haze is a good option that i suggest you consider, it will make your matchup against xerneas a lot easier to handle. A sample game plan against smeargle/xerneas is this:

Lead Kangaskhan/Crobat
T1: Fake out smeargle + Tailwind
T2: Double-Edge (Smeargle) + Haze
Sweep

Unfortunately haze over taunt will mean that your team is now weaker against smeargle/quick guard leads, but still crobat provides the threat of taunt, which in some cases can force a switch in Bo1.
The EVs will ensure that crobat survives a +2 moonblast from standard timid xerneas with a decent chance (approx. 70% chance) to survive kangaskhan's double-edge

So that's it, hope i helped :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)