Project VGC 2016 Teambuilding Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I am new to competitive play (only participated to the Johto Classic), I've been lurking here for a few months and started with showdown for testing a while ago. I really need some help to complete this team. Thank you :)

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
Level: 50
EVs: 204 HP / 60 Def / 84 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 60 HP / 36 Def / 156 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- ???

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Some spreads I've found on the internet. With this team I am currently sitting at around 1350 in showdown. I really want to change too the IV spread on Kyogre, don't really know how though. I don't value speed much on that pokemon (probably wrongly).
So my usual start is Kyogre/Venusaur and turns usually very good. Sleep poweder works like magic against most of the pokemon of the meta and lets kyogre do the sweeping. Hidden power fire is to get rid of ferrothorn that has be breaking the team before i introduced it, now he is no more a threat. rest of the kit is pretty much self explanatory. In case of groundon setting the weather i go protect with kyogre and wait one turn to megaevolve to use clorophyll to put groundon asleep. Xearneas is pretty much the usual. Very strong, and when kyogre dies usually due to thundurus and venusaur most of their team is badly crippled. So it can do his work and complete the sweeping. Recently I've got some problems with the double primal setup and i don't have a wallbreaker when chansey or blissey come around. I would really appreciate to avoid using m-khan and m-mence since i find venusaur plenty satisfying for now. Any suggestion on modifications and fill up? Which threats are biggest? How can i complete thundurus? (had skydrop on, but didn't work too well). Thank you in advance.

Hello everyone, my current idea is to have the best possible team, though one of my priorities is to be able to stop Scarf Smeargle from spamming Dark Void. What I have now is Mega-Kangaskhan to go with Fake Out or Thundurus with Taunt. They both have priority with that, so Smeargle should not have an easy time attempting to put me to sleep, yet I'm open to learn more ways to counter that.

My only two (almost) sure members are the fellas I just mentioned:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return (Double Edge?)
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

I took the Bulky Offensive set Smogon has for Battle Spot Doubles in order to survive another Mega-Kangaskhan's Low Kick. Yet I'm not sure if I should do some changes with the EVs, since the VGC 16 sets seem to put everything on Attack and Speed. I could go with Jolly nature if I come to lack Tailwind, Thunder Wave or even Trick Room when the opponent is faster than me. Who knows.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect / Hidden Power Flying

I think Smeargle will usually have either Focus Sash or Choice Scarf. The later comes to be even faster than Crobat at full Speed, so that's why I put Thundurus here, since its priority doesn't care about that. It can't beat Primal Groudon or Landorus-T, but other than that, it can hold somewhat to a lot of opponents.

Now for other teammates, I'd like to include mixed Naive Mega-Salamence (Hyper Voice, Double-Edge, Draco Meteor/Tailwind, Protect), since Intimidate helps a lot, though Adamant Landorus-T could help too if I lack Primal Groudon. Sassy Mental Herb Cresselia (Helping Hand, Ice Beam, Trick Room, Skill Swap) was in my previous team and I plan to use it again since it has a lot of tricks and ways to allow me to attack first when I'm slower than my opponent, so it's an almost sure member. My doubts come when watching teams like Big 6 that doesn't include it and still work, but I hate Dark Void Smeargle and it's the only thing I refuse to have on my team.

Now one of my biggest issues come with the two 'big' legends. If I choose pure physical Primal Groudon, the easiest thought that comes to my mind is to include it alongside Xerneas. I don't think Double-Primal team is an option for me since one of either weathers will harm the opposite one. Ho-Oh (Careful) is my favourite legendary of them all and seems to get along well with either Primal, though I'm not sure about the rest of the team. I was almost sure since it could check Groudon lacking Rock moves, Xerneas, Dialga, Special Yveltal and so on, but it suffers a lot against physical attackers like Landorus-T, Mega-Salamence and even Rayquaza, who is faster... I paired Primal Kyogre (if I use Water Spout + Scald + Ice Beam it forces me to go with Thundurus at all costs, since it's difficult to beat opposing Kyogre without Thunder) with it and also with Dialga (I run Earth Power to hit Primal Groudon, yet not Trick Room) before, but I'm not sure how well do those pairs work anymore. Yveltal seems useful at powering up Mega-Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch, but what more else? Many people seem to like it but I don't know at all how can it help me...

If you need me to give some more details, just let me know.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I took the Bulky Offensive set Smogon has for Battle Spot Doubles in order to survive another Mega-Kangaskhan's Low Kick. Yet I'm not sure if I should do some changes with the EVs, since the VGC 16 sets seem to put everything on Attack and Speed. I could go with Jolly nature if I come to lack Tailwind, Thunder Wave or even Trick Room when the opponent is faster than me. Who knows.
Jolly nature with maximum speed is almost always used in vgc2016 because it lets you outspeed unboosted xerneas, a very important target who sits at base 99. Xerneas frequently runs 252 timid to outspeed other xerneas.

I don't think Double-Primal team is an option for me since one of either weathers will harm the opposite one.
Groudon can still operate pretty well in the rain, since you can still throw out powerful precipice blades everywhere.

You kinda need to decide on some legendaries to use for us to help you. Kang + thundy will happily go with pretty much anything.

nicholascookie

Banned deucer.
Hello everyone, my current idea is to have the best possible team, though one of my priorities is to be able to stop Scarf Smeargle from spamming Dark Void. What I have now is Mega-Kangaskhan to go with Fake Out or Thundurus with Taunt. They both have priority with that, so Smeargle should not have an easy time attempting to put me to sleep, yet I'm open to learn more ways to counter that.

My only two (almost) sure members are the fellas I just mentioned:

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 52 SpD / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return (Double Edge?)
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect / Hidden Power Flying

I think Smeargle will usually have either Focus Sash or Choice Scarf. The later comes to be even faster than Crobat at full Speed, so that's why I put Thundurus here, since its priority doesn't care about that. It can't beat Primal Groudon or Landorus-T, but other than that, it can hold somewhat to a lot of opponents.

Now for other teammates, I'd like to include mixed Naive Mega-Salamence (Hyper Voice, Double-Edge, Draco Meteor/Tailwind, Protect), since Intimidate helps a lot, though Adamant Landorus-T could help too if I lack Primal Groudon. Sassy Mental Herb Cresselia (Helping Hand, Ice Beam, Trick Room, Skill Swap) was in my previous team and I plan to use it again since it has a lot of tricks and ways to allow me to attack first when I'm slower than my opponent, so it's an almost sure member. My doubts come when watching teams like Big 6 that doesn't include it and still work, but I hate Dark Void Smeargle and it's the only thing I refuse to have on my team.

Now one of my biggest issues come with the two 'big' legends. If I choose pure physical Primal Groudon, the easiest thought that comes to my mind is to include it alongside Xerneas. I don't think Double-Primal team is an option for me since one of either weathers will harm the opposite one. Ho-Oh (Careful) is my favourite legendary of them all and seems to get along well with either Primal, though I'm not sure about the rest of the team. I was almost sure since it could check Groudon lacking Rock moves, Xerneas, Dialga, Special Yveltal and so on, but it suffers a lot against physical attackers like Landorus-T, Mega-Salamence and even Rayquaza, who is faster... I paired Primal Kyogre (if I use Water Spout + Scald + Ice Beam it forces me to go with Thundurus at all costs, since it's difficult to beat opposing Kyogre without Thunder) with it and also with Dialga (I run Earth Power to hit Primal Groudon, yet not Trick Room) before, but I'm not sure how well do those pairs work anymore. Yveltal seems useful at powering up Mega-Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch, but what more else? Many people seem to like it but I don't know at all how can it help me...

If you need me to give some more details, just let me know.
>thundurus
Stop right there.

Your team is already not the best possible team.

Groudon can still operate pretty well in the rain, since you can still throw out powerful precipice blades everywhere.

You kinda need to decide on some legendaries to use for us to help you. Kang + thundy will happily go with pretty much anything.
True, but I don't think it's the same for Kyogre while in the sun. There it misses its only stabs and Thunder would fall to an uncomfortable 50% chance to hit, leaving it with only Ice Beam to hit whatever is on the field.

I think one of my two cover legendaries will be Primal Groudon. The main threats I see for it are Kyogre and Rayquaza, but mainly out of the sun, and then Landorus-T. I've got two sets in mind for it:

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe (quite simple)
Adamant Nature

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature

Both versions would have the followings moves: Precipice Blades, Fire Punch, Rock Slide and Protect. Brave would almost force me to use Trick Room at some point before somebody takes it down, though I could also try giving more EVs to HP in Adamant. This is because Groudon's typing and bulk allows it to survive most things Kyogre wouldn't, name it physical attackers who are predominant in this format, and he seems to be the most reliable one. His inclusion would mean that I could definitely go with Mega-Salamence and leave Landorus-T out, or maybe not...? I'm still afraid of repeating some types, and I'd already have Thundurus as Flying (he would mainly have to watch out for opposing Rock and Ice moves) and Groudon as Ground/Fire. Too many Flying-types types without Mega-Rayquaza seem to be a little risky.

Another interesting thing I'd like to keep in mind are the Guard moves. An hypothetical lead with Quick Guard Talonflame or Crobat alongside Scarf Dark Void Smeargle ensures almost every Pokémon on my side to be put to sleep, and then opponent would switch Talonflame while Smeargle keeps spamming in case I try to switch as well. Should I try bringing Magic Coat on something? I think it's actually better than trying to rely on Thundurus using Taunt, or even Crobat, who doesn't have priority and can hold a Lum Berry. The item will go miss after that and the opponent could switch Smeargle to bring it back later. I just don't know which Pokémon should I bring with that, there are a ton who can learn it. Maybe Cresselia, Togekiss or Porygon2. Mega-Lopunny also can, but...

On the other hand I don't find Wide Guard to be that common, though I may be wrong. The highest thing I find with that in the Viability rankings seems to be Mienshao.

Almost sure members by now, 3: Mega-Kangaskhan, Mega-Salamence and Primal Groudon. Would like to add: Magic Coat and maybe Trick Room, as well as the second cover legendary.

PD: Do you think Ferrothorn would fit with what I currently have? Or force anyone out?

Last edited:

Pigeons

pidge pidge
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hi, I've been trying to build around the core of Primal Kyogre and Xerneas, the 4 I have so far seem pretty solid but I've had no luck figuring out the last 2 members. Here's what I have so far:

It's All OGRE Now (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Bambi on LSD (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
EVs: 108 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 4 SpD / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Un Croissant (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Kinky Plant (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Primal Kyogre pairs very nicely with Xerneas thanks to its ability to break through Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, allowing Xerneas to sweep later in the game. Both suffer a weakness to Ferrothorn, and physical Primal Groudon is threatening if it has the weather advantage so I added Mega Salamence to deal with those threats. Because I had little answer to opposing Primal Kyogre and Xerneas, I added Ferrothorn to balance things out. As is the team most notably lacks Speed control but could also use insurance against dual Primal teams and a couple other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Any help finishing this would be greatly appreciated and I'm open to any changes to the current members.

Are your asses ready for the most UU team to ever see VGC, besides the togekiss,
Hi, I've been trying to build around the core of Primal Kyogre and Xerneas, the 4 I have so far seem pretty solid but I've had no luck figuring out the last 2 members. Here's what I have so far:

It's All OGRE Now (Kyogre-Primal) @ Blue Orb
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Bambi on LSD (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Un Croissant (Salamence-Mega) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 20 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Protect

Kinky Plant (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Atk / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Primal Kyogre pairs very nicely with Xerneas thanks to its ability to break through Primal Groudon and Ho-Oh, allowing Xerneas to sweep later in the game. Both suffer a weakness to Ferrothorn, and physical Primal Groudon is threatening if it has the weather advantage so I added Mega Salamence to deal with those threats. Because I had little answer to opposing Primal Kyogre and Xerneas, I added Ferrothorn to balance things out. As is the team most notably lacks Speed control but could also use insurance against dual Primal teams and a couple other things I can't remember off the top of my head. Any help finishing this would be greatly appreciated and I'm open to any changes to the current members.

Add a dunsparce and try to set up 6 coils, then you can 4 shot a primal groudon

Hi everyone, I am new to competitive play (only participated to the Johto Classic), I've been lurking here for a few months and started with showdown for testing a while ago. I really need some help to complete this team. Thank you :)

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 60 HP / 36 Def / 156 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 212 Def / 36 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Swagger
- Thunder Wave
- ???

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Sleep Powder
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Some spreads I've found on the internet. With this team I am currently sitting at around 1350 in showdown. I really want to change too the IV spread on Kyogre, don't really know how though. I don't value speed much on that pokemon (probably wrongly).
So my usual start is Kyogre/Venusaur and turns usually very good. Sleep poweder works like magic against most of the pokemon of the meta and lets kyogre do the sweeping. Hidden power fire is to get rid of ferrothorn that has be breaking the team before i introduced it, now he is no more a threat. rest of the kit is pretty much self explanatory. In case of groundon setting the weather i go protect with kyogre and wait one turn to megaevolve to use clorophyll to put groundon asleep. Xearneas is pretty much the usual. Very strong, and when kyogre dies usually due to thundurus and venusaur most of their team is badly crippled. So it can do his work and complete the sweeping. Recently I've got some problems with the double primal setup and i don't have a wallbreaker when chansey or blissey come around. I would really appreciate to avoid using m-khan and m-mence since i find venusaur plenty satisfying for now. Any suggestion on modifications and fill up? Which threats are biggest? How can i complete thundurus? (had skydrop on, but didn't work too well). Thank you in advance.
Taunt on Thunderous

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
  • Do not post asking us to make use of uncompetitive/unviable Pokemon. If you're not sure if your Pokemon is viable, check the Viability Rankings
May I ask what the point of this is? While I understand that it discourages completely unviable things (like in-game teams), those can be changed after playing on Pokémon Showdown if they aren't good, and if they are good there's no reason to get rid of them. Right now it feels like "make sure your Pokémon are on the Viability Rankings or we won't help you".

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
May I ask what the point of this is? While I understand that it discourages completely unviable things (like in-game teams), those can be changed after playing on Pokémon Showdown if they aren't good, and if they are good there's no reason to get rid of them. Right now it feels like "make sure your Pokémon are on the Viability Rankings or we won't help you".
It's basically to stop people coming in and going "hey guuuuuys my favourite mon is (shitmon) and I really want to use it in vgc16, can you help me make a team with it?" when the answer is always going to be "no".

But if you can make a case as to why you think a certain pokemon has a niche and is viable (like, say, mega sceptile) and want help filling out the rest of the team, then that's fine.

Just a guy looking for a Mega

Here is the team so far.

Ferrothorn
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 248 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Explosion
- Gyro Ball
- Worry Seed
- Endeavor
Mostly to punish trick room and Mega Kangaskhan with a switch in endeavor to drop anything down to red and Boom to Boom.

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psych Up
- Protect
- Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam

Psych up is the win condition using it on moody or geomancy and this water God will win you a game by itself max defense in order to live thouse exterme speeds and p blade's that will be on the way but the real thing to look out for is encore.

Thundurus @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Thunder Wave

I was running lando for a time but smeargle became a did more manageable with Thundurus dark pulse in order to flinch

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Moody
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dark Void
- Wide Guard
- Transform
- Fake Out

Luck is a thing here moody jumps all over the place but if it hits just right this could be even more powerful on your Kyogre the geomancy and I have won games with fake out and transform and a Smeargle with 1 HP is not something you can underestimate

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Mild Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Horn Leech
- Protect

Keeping this thing alive is a game of predictions but the thing to remember is that psych up works though protect and horn leech can get you that little life you need to survive

Hello first time posting but need help finding the right mega I have played around with a few but I keep running into 3 main problem's 1 crobat haze and taunt rip this team apart the idea behind this team is to geomancy/moody + psych up to get a Kyogre that can kill everything and crobat is just to good at stopping me in my tracks. 2 Smeargle I added lum to Thundurus in order to switch into dark void and get a taunt off but this evil hell demon is a nightmare with craftily shield 3 Last but THE BIGGEST problem Primal Groudon P blades can 2HKO almost everything on this team. Any help finding a Mega that can help deal with these 3 problem poke's will be greatly appreciated.

I was just looking at Regigigas' Bulbapedia page and I discovered it has a lot of useful moves and a very wide coverage. Its capability of learning Knock Off, for non-Primal or Mega Pokemon and Drain Punch for Kanga and recovery, make it a possible threat. So, I looked for a way to make it viable and VGC seems like the most likely format for this to be possible. First of all you need to neutralise Slow Start and a nice way to do that is Gastro Acid. Thus I looked which Pokemon can learn this move and the one that draw my attention was Cradily. Thanks to Storm Drain, Cradily can be a real problem for Kyogres that don't carry Ice Beam, which 2HKOs it anyway, and can 2HKO them easily with a Giga Drain, especially after Storm Drain's boost. Also, none of Groudon's STABs is supereffective on it, and it can answer with an Earth Power. So, the core looks like this:
Regigigas @ Lum Berry
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Crush Grip/Return
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder

This is how I used Regigigas in my test teams. The Lum Berry is to avoid Thundy's TWaves and other statuses and the EVs spread's aim is to valorise Regi's 100 base Speed. The moveset includes Thunder for Kyogre (2HKO) and Crush Grip that isn't as bad as you would think. Knock Off has to be used in the Gastro Acid turn.

Cradily @ Expert Belt
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Gastro Acid
- Protect

As I said, Giga Drain 2HKOs Primal Kyogre and Earth Power is for PDon.
The main problem is that I don't know how to complete the team and how to play it exactly. I tried to add Aegislash and PDon to counter Xerneas, but it didn't work very well. Hope you can help :)

I was just looking at Regigigas' Bulbapedia page and I discovered it has a lot of useful moves and a very wide coverage. Its capability of learning Knock Off, for non-Primal or Mega Pokemon and Drain Punch for Kanga and recovery, make it a possible threat. So, I looked for a way to make it viable and VGC seems like the most likely format for this to be possible. First of all you need to neutralise Slow Start and a nice way to do that is Gastro Acid. Thus I looked which Pokemon can learn this move and the one that draw my attention was Cradily. Thanks to Storm Drain, Cradily can be a real problem for Kyogres that don't carry Ice Beam, which 2HKOs it anyway, and can 2HKO them easily with a Giga Drain, especially after Storm Drain's boost. Also, none of Groudon's STABs is supereffective on it, and it can answer with an Earth Power. So, the core looks like this:
Regigigas @ Lum Berry
Lonely Nature
- Crush Grip/Return
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder

This is how I used Regigigas in my test teams. The Lum Berry is to avoid Thundy's TWaves and other statuses and the EVs spread's aim is to valorise Regi's 100 base Speed. The moveset includes Thunder for Kyogre (2HKO) and Crush Grip that isn't as bad as you would think. Knock Off has to be used in the Gastro Acid turn.

Cradily @ Expert Belt
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Gastro Acid
- Protect

The main problem is that I don't know how to complete the team and how to play it exactly. I tried to add Aegislash and PDon to counter Xerneas, but it didn't work very well. Hope you can help :)
This won't work, at all. It does absolutely nothing against Groudon + Salamence, a very common combination, often as a lead too. Cradily is hilariously bad at handling Kyogre, as literally every single Kyogre runs Ice Beam, which is a clean 2HKO.
Regigigas might seem decent once you remove the terrible ability, but it's still nothing but Power-Up Punch bait from Kangaskhan and does pretty much nothing against Salamence, Groudon, Xerneas, etc., all very prevalent Pokémon.

VGC16 is very unforgiving when it comes to creativity/unique strategies, and as sad as this might be, I think it's best to drop the duo entirely. You might be able to pull the strategy of once in a while against badly played Rayquaza + Kyogre teams, but other than that it's very underwhelming.

Regigigas @ Lum Berry
Lonely Nature
- Crush Grip/Return
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Thunder

Cradily @ Expert Belt
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Gastro Acid
- Protect

The best place to run Regigigas is probably Battle Spot Doubles, actually, with a combo of Gigas + Skill Swap Cresselia. Main intent being to allieviate Regigas of its burden, buff with Levitate, and then inflict Slow Start on a foe of your choice with Skill Swap yet again or just spam T-Wave / Icy Wind since Cress doesn't really give a fuck about having its Atk/Speed cut. You could do the same thing in VGC I guess; Skill Swap Cress is actually usable at least so you could run Pdon.
But it is rather horrible of a duo in Doubles and I cannot suggest or advise doing it; definetly the best way to do it though. Khan really does take the cake as the best Normal mon in every meta that permits it.

On a side note, there was a Regigigas that went I think 5-3 at German Nationals this year, but the guy was using a support move set of Safeguard, Swagger, Gravity and Wide Guard. But going on the offense takes way too much set-up.

been wanting to make a vgc X-Ray team with slowbro. this is what i have so far

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Moonblast
- Protect

Slowbro @ Lum Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA (not too sure on this spread, so im using this for now)
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Heal Pulse
- Psychic

Kangaskhan-Mega (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 172 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Double-Edge
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch

• Have about a paragraph-sized description with the core you want to build around with some idea of what you want the end result to be
It'd be nice if you could give at least some sort of direction here, because there's a lot that can still happen on those last two slots. Maybe tell us what you think this core is currently struggling with, so we can come up with solutions.

I know I'm not a builder screw the system

i'm thinking this core's going to struggle with steel types (aside from kang's power-up punch, there's nothing to hit steels se with) and i'm thinking these four are going to have trouble with stuff like groudon, trick room, and as previously mentioned, steel types (especially brongzong). i'm thinking about adding either talonflame to help with speed control/priority bb. and then maybe a smergle for dark void support, or maybe adding a brongzong of my own for skill swap/hypnosis/trick room support.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
i'm thinking this core's going to struggle with steel types (aside from kang's power-up punch, there's nothing to hit steels se with) and i'm thinking these four are going to have trouble with stuff like groudon, trick room, and as previously mentioned, steel types (especially brongzong). i'm thinking about adding either talonflame to help with speed control/priority bb. and then maybe a smergle for dark void support, or maybe adding a brongzong of my own for skill swap/hypnosis/trick room support.
Okay, but the pokemon you're suggesting don't fix any of the problems you listed. The only one of those that can deal with steel types is talonflame, and most steel types are paired with kyogre so you can't rely on fire moves to beat them. Have you considered a dark type like Weavile? It pairs well with rayquaza, outspeeding and KOing salamences that outspeed mega ray, and its fake out helps xerneas set up. It can also OHKO bronzong. If ferrothorn is more of an issue, scrafty might be good as well. It can hit the same targets as weavile except salamence but gives you intimidate and fighting STAB.

Hey I'm looking to use a RayOgre/Bronzong Core (if that's what you can call it) basically. It's great for countering Groudon/Xerneas but I fall short on other teams. I'm not sure where exactly to go and if maybe I should pick a different restricted than Rayquaza. Below are the sets i'm using, beware as they are fairly simple and basic still being new-ish to the format.

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Ascent
- Waterfall
- Protect

Bronzong @ Lum Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Gravity
- Hypnosis
- Gyro Ball

One of the big things is running Gravity or not. I mainly am running it to hit off Hypnosis easier. There is really no other use for it, have been thinking about Skill Swap to help with weather control. If I really want to hit a sleep move I can just run Smeargle DV as well so I'm looking for a new take on this team. I'm back and forth between Sash and LO Rayquaza. Maybe there is a better option than Bronzong in the likes of Ferrothorn, which can counter Xerneas as well as opposing Kyogre.

I am just so indecisive where this team should go, I'm not too experienced in VGC but I know the basics of 2016. With the new regionals announced I want to dedicate my time to events with the game itself being affordable and enjoyable. Help please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)