1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Apprentice Program - Round One

Discussion in 'Battling 101' started by Solace, Aug 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spino55

spino55

Ok. Should I transfer my Showdown team i plan on using to Online before tutoring begins?
  2. Darth Mollux

Darth Mollux

Username: Darth Mollux
    Pokemon Online username: BabyJessica
    Timezone/hours of availability: EST 12pm - 10pm any day; have to work around
    cross country practice which fluctuates until school starts Sept 5th
    Division: Masters
    Tell us a little about yourself: I have been a smogon stalker for three years now, researching furiously to develop teams I never got around to making due to rng frustration. I just joined PO and now smogon, and have been refining a very unorthodox vgc team (has been having fairly consistent wins) that I would like some help and advice on. I suppose I could post a RMT but I plan to compete so I don't want someone stealing my team! In general I would like to learn more about doubles, so that if I can get my team together I might have success in VGC.

Also, I apologize if this is a dumb question, and for the oh-crap-double-post there, but I'm assuming we will be notified by our eventual tutor via PM and not in this thread? Is that correct?
  3. lapras6666

lapras6666

Username: lapras6666
    Pokemon Online username: lapras6666
    Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT +2 pretty much at any time cause it's summer (except really really late night hours)
    Division: (Masters: born 1997 or earlier or Seniors: born 1998 or later): Masters (if I was born 11 days later I would be a senior lol)
    Tell us a little about yourself: Spanish teenager who loves pokemon and has played competitively for a year and a half now. I've always played smogon tiers, so this will be my introduction to VGC. I like playing football (soccer), tennis, hanging out with friends, and videogames.
  4. TrollFreak

TrollFreak (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Username: TrollFreak
    Pokemon Online username: TrollFreak
    Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 6 PM - 8 PM
    Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a senior in high school and I love Pokemon!

Also, TalkingLion is a tutor now, I call bs on everylevel
  5. BlazeCrimson

BlazeCrimson

Pick Me! Pick Me!

Username: BlazeCrimson
    Pokemon Online Username: BlazeCrimson
    Your timezone and usual hours of availability: ([GMT -5] Eastern Standard Time US) Available Monday-Friday 7AM-11AM and 4PM to 8PM. All day during weekends. Flexible.
    Tell us a little about yourself: I believe I have a Beginner to Intermediate level of skill with VGC. I have some experience battling on the Skarmbliss PO server, but I know I have a lot more potential than my current level. I have never been to a regional or anything like that though since I'm still trying to learn how to do RNG abuse and such. I am very enthusiastic and eager to learn from the pros so I can maybe compete in the Winter Regionals.
  6. Espeo196

Espeo196

Username: Espeo196
    Pokemon Online username: Espeo196
    Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Pacific Standard Time, 11-9ish
    Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing Pokemon since the first generation, but never competitively aside from against friends. I do however follow some of the metagame and have battled a bit through the GBU. I also participated in the 2012 International Challenge which is my only real taste of competitive battling. Loved it though.
  7. shogungari

shogungari

Username: shogungari
    Pokemon Showdown username: shogungari
    Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST; 8PM onward weekdays, any time weekends.
    Tell us a little about yourself:

I have been playing Pokemon from the moment the game arrived on American shores. I grew up with Gen I and have been with the series ever since. However I could never break into the metagame because the pokemon I love either are considered too powerful for normal use (blaziken) or considered inferior in some way (snorlax, empoleon). It crushes me when I lose a battle because even when I try to play with pokemon I hate I still fail. I'm sick of failing. I want to able to play against other metagamers and not be immediately destroyed by something as stupid simple as calm minding latias.
  8. Megamence123

Megamence123

Username: Megamence123
    Pokemon Online username: Megamence123
    Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST; 9-12 AM most mornings
    Tell us a little about yourself: I am going to be a high school junior so I won't have a lot of time, with school starting September 4. I can't wait to learn however!
  9. eZaz

eZaz

Username: eZaz
    Pokemon Online username: Zaz
    Your timezone and usual hours of availability: EST 6 PM - 2 AM Sat & Sun only
    Tell us a little about yourself: I'm a junior in college, I play Pokemon for an excuse to be with friends and I'd like to try for VGC 2013 so I can compete with them. I've stalked on smogon for a while but I finally decided to join the community! I appreciate this opportunity to learn!
  10. forthwright

forthwright

Username: forthwright

Pokemon Online Username: Shplam

Your timezone and usual hours of availability: PST, pretty much any time after 2PM and before 11PM

Tell us a little about yourself: I was in another tutoring round before and I loved it. Tezon was a great help to me for standard play! Now I really want to understand the VGC metagame, and doubles in general I suppose. I'd really love to one day get to be on the Worlds stage, but I know that'll take a lot of work. I'm ready and willing to work at learning the meta and I'm determined to win some events eventually!
  11. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Username: Shurtugal
    Pokemon Online username: Dragon (I have many usernames thou :/)
    Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Friday / Sat / Sun : odd hours, not available during the week cause school is very important
    Division: (Masters: born 1997 or earlier or Seniors: born 1998 or later) I'm 1997, although I admit I don't plan on entering so much as learning this year.
    Tell us a little about yourself: I've been playing for a year, although I don't feel I imporved too much on my skills. I really wanted to try this tier out since I'm very bored of OU atm. I am literate, although not an english natzi. I love reading. I love offensive-based teams
  12. Solace

Solace darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Here are the tutor assignments!

speriend - Dimsun
    spino55 - kingofkongs
    Nightwalkr - TheMantyke
    bluejay8295 - Cybertron
    MCBarrett - Human
    GenCross - R Inanimate
    Thadenvy - TalkingLion
    BeastLink - Solace
    AllDayKK - Eraddd

This round ends September 6th!

Sorry to all who weren't paired. We tried to fit best with our tutors' available times.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)