VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Exp Bar is literally a 10 minute walk away from Canada Place but I wouldn't recommend going to any restaurants during the lunch break and definitely not between rounds. Just go to the food court or grab something from a food cart (Japadog is super close and Bada Bing / Kaboom Box / stuff around Granville and Georgia is defintely doable). I am not kidding when I say I had to walk further to get from the playing area to my room all in the Waikoloa resort than the places I mentioned.

And yes that's the one. Bella Geletaria. The only gelato I've had in Vancouver that stands up to the stuff in Italy.

Hey, I´ve a few questions again:

1. I saw on a page that Wolfey´s Mons by worlds which need no Attack IV ( only for struggle, but imo the lower damage when a Mon is swaggered make 0 IV worth) had random or 31 Atk. IV. Why? I saw it by other T4 guys too. Is it because RNG was difficult in Gen.4?

2. Is it worth to invest SDef EVs in Scizor to live random HP Fire ( like from Cresse)

3. What is the standart set for offensive Cresselia?

Hey, I´ve a few questions again:

1. I saw on a page that Wolfey´s Mons by worlds which need no Attack IV ( only for struggle, but imo the lower damage when a Mon is swaggered make 0 IV worth) had random or 31 Atk. IV. Why? I saw it by other T4 guys too. Is it because RNG was difficult in Gen.4?

2. Is it worth to invest SDef EVs in Scizor to live random HP Fire ( like from Cresse)

3. What is the standard set for offensive Cresselia?
1. the Attack IV doesn't really matter and taking ~3 points less from Swagger is not a big deal. I think completely flawless spreads are easier to RNG

2. Actually, you don't have to invest much at all! 252 HP / 4 SDef survives Max Sp. Attack Modest Cress' HP Fire, so yes, I think it is very well worth it.

the calc: 252+ SpA Cresselia Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 148-176 (83.61 - 99.43%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

3. The Standard set is probably Psyshock, Ice Beam, HP Fire and another move like Swagger, TR, Helping Hand, or even a coverage move like Energy Ball

idk if this is the place to be asking this as I'm new so I don't think that I should be using the RMT thread, but what do you ppl think of this TR team?:
Chandelure Quiet Fire Gem Flash Fire
252/0/0/136/80/0 0 Speed IVs
Trick Room Heat Wave Shadow Ball Protect
Hitmontop Adamant Fighting Gem Intimidate
208/180/120/0/0/0 0 Speed IVs
Fake Out Wide Guard Sucker Punch Close Combat
Reuniclus Modest LO Magic Guard
116/0.100.252/40/0 20 Speed IVs
TR Focus Blast Protect Psyshock
Escavalier Adamant Occa Berry Swarm
76/212/76/0/144/0 20 Speed IVs
Megahorn Iron Head Double-Edge Quick Guard
Octillery Modest Water Gem Sniper
252/0/136/192/30/0 20 Speed IVs
Water Spout Ice Beam Energy Ball Scald
Rhyperior Adamant Rock Gem Lightningrod
116/236/0/0/156/0 20 Speed IVs
EQ Rock Slide Megahorn Protect
if your wondering why I'm running speed IVs and not minus Speed nature, in my mind, it will give it some decent speed (but not too many not to operate well under TR) in case my TR is countered and screwed over. can someone tell me if this is a good mindset or not?

idk if this is the place to be asking this as I'm new so I don't think that I should be using the RMT thread, but what do you ppl think of this TR team?:
Chandelure Quiet Fire Gem Flash Fire
252/0/0/136/80/0 0 Speed IVs
Trick Room Heat Wave Shadow Ball Protect
Hitmontop Adamant Fighting Gem Intimidate
208/180/120/0/0/0 0 Speed IVs
Fake Out Wide Guard Sucker Punch Close Combat
Reuniclus Modest LO Magic Guard
116/0.100.252/40/0 20 Speed IVs
TR Focus Blast Protect Psyshock
Escavalier Adamant Occa Berry Swarm
76/212/76/0/144/0 20 Speed IVs
Megahorn Iron Head Double-Edge Quick Guard
Octillery Modest Water Gem Sniper
252/0/136/192/30/0 20 Speed IVs
Water Spout Ice Beam Energy Ball Scald
Rhyperior Adamant Rock Gem Lightningrod
116/236/0/0/156/0 20 Speed IVs
EQ Rock Slide Megahorn Protect
if your wondering why I'm running speed IVs and not minus Speed nature, in my mind, it will give it some decent speed (but not too many not to operate well under TR) in case my TR is countered and screwed over. can someone tell me if this is a good mindset or not?
It is an ok mindset, but you'll be undersped by other TR mons. Also, what do your EVs accomplish? you want to look into optimizing them.

ok thx i'll try to look into tht a little more and also can you give me a list of popular pokemon so I could look into threats and ways to improve the team?

ok thx i'll try to look into tht a little more and also can you give me a list of popular pokemon so I could look into threats and ways to improve the team?
Metagross
Cresselia
Hitmontop
Thundurus
Latios
Garchomp
Tyranitar
Rotom-W
Politoed
Heatran
Ludicolo
Scizor
Kingdra
Abomasnow
Gastrodon
Volcarona
Salamence

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
If you can put together proper descriptions for your team (and an easier to read format), feel free to make a RMT. It's not about how new you are (unless you're so inexperienced that you would be better off with the tutoring program), but how well you explain your team and strategy.

As for the Speed thing, I would recommend against it. There's no point in aiming for average Speed - you'll still be slower than the majority of non-TR mons, and now other TR teams will also be "faster."

If you can put together proper descriptions for your team (and an easier to read format), feel free to make a RMT. It's not about how new you are (unless you're so inexperienced that you would be better off with the tutoring program), but how well you explain your team and strategy.

As for the Speed thing, I would recommend against it. There's no point in aiming for average Speed - you'll still be slower than the majority of non-TR mons, and now other TR teams will also be "faster."
I strongly agree with VooDoo Pimp. The theory I have always used is have a full fledged back-up plan. Have a fast Poke on your team, but only one on a TR team.

If your TR team works well, that one fast Poke will never see play, and you probably will have already won your battle. I your TR gets countered, you still have at least one Poke for sure that can outspeed stuff, and get you KO's, until you have a new chance to set up TR unaborted.

Have at least one 108+ Speed tier (Infernape, or faster) on your team.

Average speed will not get you anything worth mentioning.

I know this could've been answered before and it probably sounds noobish for me to ask but;

If I get a non-hacked pokemon that is fully legit from pokecheck and it doesn't have the ribbon (obviously), is that pokemon eligible to use at VGC's? Or will it not pass the hack checks? I am thinking it should pass but I just want to make sure.

I know this could've been answered before and it probably sounds noobish for me to ask but;

If I get a non-hacked pokemon that is fully legit from pokecheck and it doesn't have the ribbon (obviously), is that pokemon eligible to use at VGC's? Or will it not pass the hack checks? I am thinking it should pass but I just want to make sure.
You should be fine; I used a Hitmontop from Pokécheck at my last VGC and I passed. Plus, this forum hosts links to VGC Pokécheck mons and I haven't heard of anyone getting DQed for using one.

Most of the trusted users provide great Pokemon on Pokecheck, in fact, on my Regs 2012 team, I had all Pokecheck mons.

The VGC analysis for Terrakion suggests the moves Close Combat and Quick Guard. Terrakion learns Quick Guard at 55 and CC at level 73. How can Terrakion know those moves at level 50?

Wondering, is the premier ribbon allowed on a pokemon? Because I got a pokemon off of pokecheck and it has it. Is it still legit if I have it like that?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
This offers more comprehensive instructions. But make sure that they come from a trustworthy uploader, because there's a lot of hacked garbage on there.

This totally qualifies: now that intimidate scraggy is in the dream world, do you think it will be more popuar than 'top? (It does learn fake out) or do you think it would work better as a bulky physical sweeper with intimidate to help its bulk?

The Dream Park totally did a number on the number unavailable Hidden Abilities. Ignoring the legendary trios and starter Pokemon are there really any more competitive Pokemon with unavailable Hidden Abilities? (I am ignoring Litwick. *sad face*)

This totally qualifies: now that intimidate scraggy is in the dream world, do you think it will be more popuar than 'top? (It does learn fake out) or do you think it would work better as a bulky physical sweeper with intimidate to help its bulk?
I think it is the premier bulky Fake Outer now. It has much better bulk, at the cost of move power and speed. A spread of 132 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SDef gets the same bulk as Wolfe's Hitmontop with much more attack. Also, you could invest speed to beat 4 speed Hitmontop if you wanted.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
I think they'll both see a lot of use. Hitmontop still has some advantages, namely Sucker Punch, Wide Guard, and not being weak to Fighting.
The Dream Park totally did a number on the number unavailable Hidden Abilities. Ignoring the legendary trios and starter Pokemon are there really any more competitive Pokemon with unavailable Hidden Abilities? (I am ignoring Litwick. *sad face*)
According to this thread, the only evolutionary lines that we're missing now are legendaries, starters, Litwick, and Larvesta.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)