1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. tlyee61

tlyee61

If he really wants to take down TR users, he could even use Bug Gem.
  2. M. Rock

M. Rock

Well, against the (now somewhat uncommon) TR leads, I usually bring Cresselia along to shut TR off, so it can do a bit of SE damage with Psyshock, albeit with less power and surprise value. Not concerned about Scrafty in this respect, since I've only seen him in a TR lead once since VGC11.
    Anyway...I just wanted to know which gem would be optimal in most cases.
  3. religiousjedi

religiousjedi #ZELDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon

How viable would Shadow Tag Gothitelle be and if so, what would be the ideal nature/moveset?
  4. Baz Anderson

Baz Anderson

I have seen a few Perish-trapping teams, and they can be very nasty! Usually paired with Jigglypuff to set up the Perish Song and support with Friend Guard/Screens. Gothitelle has Protect and Trick Room and then maybe Psychic and Substitute. Usually with a Sitrus Berry too. As bulky as possible!
  5. Blaze123

Blaze123

When is the next VGC tutoring starting?
  6. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

It will be announced sometime soon, once the new metagame is fully analyzed by the tutors.
  7. MANMAN9657

MANMAN9657

Any ideas for a good eviolite user?
  8. JRank

JRank
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

maybe some nfes
  9. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Lileep, Dusclops, Porygon2, Chansey, Murkrow, I think that's the good ones, take or leave Murkrow.
  10. M. Rock

M. Rock

If whoever asked the question had to pick, the highlighted ones are the most useful. Dusclops is primarily used as a Trick Room lead. Porygon2 is best as a bulky TR user...otherwise, without TR, you have a bulky Pokemon with average SpA that could be replaced by something else. It has good bulk to allow it to change the weather....but you're better off with an auto-weather mon or a Prankster, at least in my opinion. He also has support options like Icy Wind and Twave and Toxic, but Cresselia does all of that significantly better.
    I can't give an opinion on Lileep, know nothing about it, but I would assume that Chansey is just as useful as Blissey in doubles.....not very much. It's not awful, but stallish Pokemon aren't necessarily as good in this fast-paced metagame where players prefer support mons with moves that work best in doubles (Helping Hand, Skill Swap, Icy Wind, ect.). I mean, I've almost never seen Blissey/Chansey on a VGC team, so I wouldn't think that they were spectacular.
    Murkrow is pretty situational, and it's not terrilby easy to use. It does not last as long as you'd think, and it needs teammates that can help take out what troubles it.

If you are using an eviolite Pokemon just for the sake of doing so, you should probably stop and pick something else. When teambuilding, you need to think about what would be effective for helping your team achieve its goal rather than what would have surprise value.
  11. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Wolfe used Lileep, he didn't capture the regional title though, but it was creative. I can't remember the details. Chansey was just an option, I wouldn't use it, but it's... useable.
  12. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

I've tested Murkrow extensively, and have to agree with this for the most part. If you want to use it, you need to take advantage of its unique niche: being basically the only viable user of Quash (and Prankster Mirror Move, to a lesser extent, which is really situational but lets you do some useful things like reversing Trick Room). While its bulk doesn't compare to the other viable Eviolite users, it's not terrible either - 252/252 Calm will always survive Latios's Dragon Gem Draco Meteor, for instance.

As for the others: Porygon2 is sort of a jack of all trades, capable of doing a lot of things but not excelling at any of them. Dusclops is an excellent supporter, plays very similar to Cresselia. Chansey can't really do anything in doubles outside of Guard Split or Minimize shenanigans, and I haven't heard anything about Lileep so I'm not sure what's up with that.
  13. pokemaster649

pokemaster649

Wolfey used a evolite lileep at Philly regionals, he almost got to top cut but fell short with it.
  14. voodoo pimp

I mean, I haven't heard anything about how it was used.
  15. evan

evan I did my best -- I have no regrets
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Wolfe used Lileep to abuse Storm Drain, but it wasn't necessarily a "Storm Drain" team per se.

There are a couple of battle videos floating around on youtube of him using it if you search for vgc 13 pennsylvania wolfe.
  16. Project_Mars

Project_Mars

I noticed a lack of evolite magneton... It's not terrible, but it is kinda predictable (amazingly shallow movepool). But the bulk and steel-typing is nice.

Edit: a few more details: it has 50/95/70 defenses and a solid 120 in sp. attack and 70 speed. I can think of 8 moves it gets that are usable however (thunder, discharge, thunder wave, flash cannon, hidden power, signal beam, tri attack, and protect.) which makes it okay for TR or Rain or both.
  17. RedSpyda

RedSpyda

Now that the 2013 rules have been updated is there a preliminary threats list compiled?

I would assume everything from 2012 ruleset plus additions of therian form genies
  18. The Knights of Wario Land

The Knights of Wario Land

Only Thundurus-T and Landorus-T need comply, Tornadus-T isn't that good in VGC. Also watch out for older threats such as Hydreigon, Scrafty, and Conkeldurr getting a boost in usage due to new moves / abilities.
  19. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Also the new DW Ability / Move tutor combination. Plus Unova dex's tutor list.
  20. Misdreavus

Misdreavus

Those of you discussing Evoilite may be interested in this article.
  21. TheAllyKat

TheAllyKat

I figured that since Vancouver Regionals are not until the Spring that I would use the coming WiFi tournaments as skills practice. The Winter Battle will be truly an experience since RNG Abuse on my B2 seems to be possible due to Timer0 trolling failing, time and time again (not to mention breeding not working with B2/W2.)

I would be interested!
  22. M. Rock

M. Rock

Would still like to know.
  23. voodoo pimp

When I used Acrobatics Scizor, I found that I was using it almost all the time, especially since it would usually KO Hitmontop even at -1 (it can't OHKO Scrafty, unfortunately, but it still hits it pretty hard). And I can't remember many times where a Steel Gem would have made much difference. I'd definitely go with the Flying Gem.
  24. M. Rock

M. Rock

Thanks!
  25. Atticus Lee

Atticus Lee

Is the VGC tournament played over wifi or in person? How do you register for it if the former?

I've never done this before, but I want the custap berry offered to all participants.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)