1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

I thought it was the available with the release of BW2, my bad sorry. Eh, anyway, if you want another option you can try Steelix, but getting hit with surf isn't really worth it. Which leads me into Excadrill! Why do I not like it? Well for starters if "It just doesn't have the stats" leads you to believe it's terrible, then you should probably reread it. It's not really bad, but I wouldn't use it on your rain team because Surf is a common tactic. Unless you don't have a single spread water move on a rain team, it will get hit evantually. Lanturn is much better. Volt Absorb, or water absorb, but VA seems more suited for what say. Lanturn is only weak to grass, and the HP stat is MUCH better than Excadrill's. It also resists surf's so that's a plus. Better user of status moves also.
  2. hathater

hathater

Would eviolite golbat be good? It looks good on paper with high defenses, super fang toxic, roost, and air slash (flinch)
  3. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

My primary attackers are Specs Hydro Pump Politoed and Muddy Water Kingdra, all the others pokemon in my teams are for support and/or counter common tactics (like prankster T-wave on my Kingdra, that's just nasty)

About Lanturn, I totally forget about him, but that Grass weakness don't give me many switch options, but hey, you cannot cover every weakness!
  4. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Can I have the rest of the pokemon and what they do exactly. Preferably damage dealing moves. You can give Lanturn a Rindo Berry to counter those few grass HP's, and Chandelure's with Energy Ball. Few of those, but I see them every now and then. Lanturn is a great support mon, so I suggest developing a set akin to your team, or I can help if you give me details? ^_^
  5. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Rain Room was a strategy popularized by the Japanese and definitely potent. I think the person I'd most associate with this in the west is Scott (Synre here). You can see the team he took to 10th place at the World Championships here for some ideas: http://nuggetbridge.com/reports/press-x-to-bubble/
  6. ryancyy

ryancyy

Thanks so much for the link to the article! :) Really appreciate it!
  7. Tog3T3st

Tog3T3st

How can I put a gif or image on signature? Im new at here and to lazy for reading FAQ:PPPP
  8. Skyshayde

Skyshayde

VGC sqsa? Why?

Anyway [​IMG]
  9. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Or get a badge.
  10. Tog3T3st

Tog3T3st

Thanks!:)
  11. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Hmmmm..... I'm wondering about Articuno. Is there any point of really using it, it's 4x weakness to rock really turns me off, even despite it's great defense. I'm not one to use the Mind Reader Sheer Cold combo either. Is there competitive value to using it?
  12. Baz Anderson

Baz Anderson

I suppose if you had a random Hail/Rain team you could spam Hurricane/Blizzard... but yeh, there's a reason why it isn't used so much unfortunately.
  13. Golden Piloswine

Golden Piloswine

Yeah, pretty much what I thought. =\ Well at least zapdos has usage!
  14. Tog3T3st

Tog3T3st

GF haven't released the snow cloak Articuno, yet. Because it could at least be useful.:(
  15. hathater

hathater

Oops forgot about that rule
  16. hathater

hathater

Would moltres be a good replacement for zapdos?
  17. voodoo pimp

voodoo pimp Apply directly to the forehead
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

It really depends on what you want to use it for. Honestly, they don't have much in common other than being special attackers.
  18. hathater

hathater

Well moltres is uncommon, and no one is really on the look out for a moltres. And I don't plan on using a garchomp for disquake. I kind of want it as a bulky special attacker like zapdos.
  19. Scalrag

Scalrag

Is there any point to using Politoed as anything other than a lead?
  20. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

If your opponent have another auto-weather pokemon, you can decide to keep Politoed in the back if you think your Politoed is faster so you can active your prefered weather.

In any other case, no, Politoed have any use just because of his ability. Pokemons that are keeped in the back are the ones that can sweep when a counter have been removed.
  21. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Tyranitar, Abomasnow, and Hippowdon are all slower than Politoed, so if your opponent has those, it's best to keep Politoed in reserve. Otherwise, the slower weather starter will win the weather war, and Politoed would have to switch out and back in (switching in general is usually risky in doubles) or resort to having a Rain Dance user bring back the rain.

If your opponent doesn't have one of those weather starters, then not usually, but I'm sure there are reasonable circumstances depending on the team it's being used on and is up against.
  22. dragonblade369

dragonblade369

Sorry if this is a noob question:

I am wondering if any pokemon downloaded from Pokecheck are allowed at tournaments and such. If the legality analysis shows it as legit and I download it untrained. (With a ribbon attacked)

Thanks
  23. Agonist

Agonist Minutes become hours when you wait, hope and regret
    is a Forum Moderator

If you download them with the ribbon attached you will be disqualified. However, you can download the .pkm files, and send them to your game using another fake GTS without the ribbons being attached, and then use them in tournaments without any problems.
  24. dragonblade369

dragonblade369

Thanks for the help =)
  25. The Last Sheikah

The Last Sheikah

I've used Crobat and Golbat quite a lot, and eviolite Golbat is really nice, and can usually get a fair few hits in (even Metagross's Zen Headbutt and Zapdos's Thunderbolt are 2HKOs or 3HKOs depending on whether you go special or physical) but personally I usually run Crobat, for its ability to get tailwind up or taunt before any non-pranksters.

At very least, Air Slash on a non-serene gracer is a bit iffy, and toxic is generally not advisable in VGC. I would go for something like Super Fang, Roost, Tailwind, Protect.
    U-Turn, weather moves and other support moves are pretty good for it too.

Crobat, on the other hand, can also run a damned strong and fast Gem Acrobatics.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)