VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this isn't quite a simple question, and its probably in the wrong place, but...

I'm trying to create a team based on Hydreigon, Latios, and Blaziken. Latios and Blaziken are there to stay, and Hydreigon was just my first RNG'd Pokemon.

What would be good compliments to this base, and does it make sense to drop Hydreigon? I'm a little weird in that I really don't want to use Scizor, Tyranitar, Breloom, Sableye, or Politoed.

Thanks in advance guys, and if this is in the wrong place, please direct me.

Well, this isn't quite a simple question, and its probably in the wrong place, but...

I'm trying to create a team based on Hydreigon, Latios, and Blaziken. Latios and Blaziken are there to stay, and Hydreigon was just my first RNG'd Pokemon.

What would be good compliments to this base, and does it make sense to drop Hydreigon? I'm a little weird in that I really don't want to use Scizor, Tyranitar, Breloom, Sableye, or Politoed.

Thanks in advance guys, and if this is in the wrong place, please direct me.
First off, dont worry, you are in the right place. Next, I think that can be a valid core in respect to typing. Is there anything you wanted to do with the team strategy wise? That would help decide what can take the last 3 places.

Well, my goal is to put together a more offensive team, but I'm not sure quite what to do.

I know what to do in little cup. At one point i was 32/1000 something. In OU/VGC, I'm clueless.

Well, my goal is to put together a more offensive team, but I'm not sure quite what to do.
Hi and welcome to VGC! for starters, I think Blaziken and Latios / Hydreigon could work nicely as a core. However, you probably only want 1 of these dragons on a team together. Now that you have a starting core, yoy should find some Pokemon that compliment them nicely. I think Rotom-W could work because it pairs well with both Blaziken and Latios. To further add onto this core, Scizor or Metagross could work well and add a steel-type to the team. Overall, here's a checklist of some basics things to have in a VGC team (however, you don't need all of them) :

Fake Out
Dragon
Steel
answer to rain
speed control
good synergy

Simple Question

I have competed in the VGC's for 2 years now, and it wasn't till recently that I added some hackmons (obtained through pokegen) so I can play OU, RU, and UU will this effect the LEGIT pokemon that I am entering into next year's VGC?

I have competed in the VGC's for 2 years now, and it wasn't till recently that I added some hackmons (obtained through pokegen) so I can play OU, RU, and UU will this effect the LEGIT pokemon that I am entering into next year's VGC?
not sure if I'm supposed to be answering but as long as they're not in the battle box you should be okay. Just in case, I would either release them or trade your vgc mons to another cart.

OD EDIT: It's cool, I give you a special exemption to answer this question.

it should not matter, at the nationals in europe they only checked your battlebox. i got through the check even though i had some non-legal pokecheck pkmn in my boxes.

... i am kind of out of the scene right now. But a friend of mine want to go yolo and take a stab at nats. is there even a canadian nats this year?

And are BW2 tutors good for nats? I am confused.

What is needed in a good vgc team, without Hitmontop, poli, or trick rooms?
Not that I'm an expert or anything like that, but you should be looking for a theme. Maybe theme isn't the right word, but you should have an idea of what you want your team to accomplish and then what's needed for a team will change depending on that. If you're looking for something that's not-weather or trick room, then I think maybe you should be looking into something like a Goodstuffs team. As far as that goes, tlyee61 posted this a few pages ago:

steel type
dragon type
fake out
cress
cress counter
water resist or soemething for anti weather (virizion is a personal fav of mine ;))
Just curious, but why are you excluding hitmontop specifically? Looking for something different?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
There is no Canada nats this year, and BW2 tutors(And abilities and formes) have been legal all year since after Fall regionals.

There is no Canada nats this year, and BW2 tutors(And abilities and formes) have been legal all year since after Fall regionals.
yeah, that's what i thought as well... O_o
I have been getting some people telling me otherwise. idk what is going on anymore.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's going on is that there is no Canadian VG Nationals this year. This has been known for a long time. If someone local is organizing a side event that's cool but there will not be any CP awarded.

What's going on is that there is no Canadian VG Nationals this year. This has been known for a long time. If someone local is organizing a side event that's cool but there will not be any CP awarded.
Yeah thanks, I remembered that I quit VGC around then when I flipped the table over them cancelling it. Just needed to confirm such a silly farce...

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Considering the turnout at last year's Nationals and this year's Ontario Regionals -- as well as this year's invite structure -- it isn't surprising. I don't think anyone is angry about this aside from TCG players who wanted a video game side event or the much less serious players who aren't in contention for an invite. Another plane ticket isn't what most players want to pay for right now...

Is a 31/24/4/31/6/31 IV Spread worth using on a Modest Focus Sash Volcarona? I assume so, since it's 2HKO'd by practically half the Pokemon in the meta with 31s in Def and Sp.Def anyway. I wanted to see someone else's opinion first though.

Is a 31/24/4/31/6/31 IV Spread worth using on a Modest Focus Sash Volcarona? I assume so, since it's 2HKO'd by practically half the Pokemon in the meta with 31s in Def and Sp.Def anyway. I wanted to see someone else's opinion first though.
since you're using sash, it should be fine :)

Just curious, but why are you excluding hitmontop specifically? Looking for something different?
I just think it's to much of a hassle to sort him out, where I'm lacking Platinum, HG and SS (I lost them a few years back) and where I like the Priority set which includes Sucker Punch.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
there are plenty of people who would be willing to trade you one.

that said, you could run Scrafty, which also has Fake Out, and Intimidate.

there are plenty of people who would be willing to trade you one.

that said, you could run Scrafty, which also has Fake Out, and Intimidate.
I was actually thinking of running Scrafty. So the team I'm thinking of building a team that at the moment consists of: Scrafty, Dragonite, Scizor, Chandelure, Latios and Zoroark.

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi, i'd like to know what 'mons could be good substitutes to Zapdos and Latios in the VGC environment? since there's going to be a local tourney on my country that blatantly bans Any kind of legendary Pokémon, i'd like to know what 'mons could be decent replacements to the aforementioned ones.
Thanks in advance!

Hi, i'd like to know what 'mons could be good substitutes to Zapdos and Latios in the VGC environment? since there's going to be a local tourney on my country that blatantly bans Any kind of legendary Pokémon, i'd like to know what 'mons could be decent replacements to the aforementioned ones.
Thanks in advance!
Latios - Hydreigon (ray's spread) or Salamence (Choice Scarf)
Zapdos - I would say Thundurus, but I assume it's banned too. I would try Rotom-W if that's okay. If not, Eelektross? here's an article for Electric types in VGC. http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/danger-danger-high-voltage-an-overview-of-electric-pokemon-in-vgc/

Albus

The Triumphant
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Latios - Hydreigon (ray's spread) or Salamence (Choice Scarf)
Zapdos - I would say Thundurus, but I assume it's banned too. I would try Rotom-W if that's okay. If not, Eelektross? here's an article for Electric types in VGC. http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/danger-danger-high-voltage-an-overview-of-electric-pokemon-in-vgc/
Thanks for the help! I think i'm gonna use Rotom-W, it suits the needs of my Team better than the others, but it's still tempting to use Eelek.
And can you give me ray's spread for Hydreigon, please? it sounds very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)