1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

While Whimsicott, Haxorus, and Volcarona resist Water, you probably don't want to surf into them too often. Scald is consistent and won't hurt your partner. Don't Muddy Water. Just don't. It will fail you when you need it.

Your 6th slot really depends on what you're trying to do, what your type weaknesses are, and what teams/pokemon you have trouble dealing with. We'd need more info.
  2. gligar101

gligar101

Personally, I would go with scald for the possibility of burn. and as another option for your 6th slot, Water Absorb Lapras might be a viable option as well, as it regains up to 25% of its HP when hit by a Water move, such as Surf. out of Bisharp and Lucario, I would go with Lucario though.
    Hope this helps.
  3. Arjunz

Arjunz

I'm thinking about Water Absorb Lapras as gligar101 recommended. It seems that most of the trouble I have is with rain teams.
  4. Golgi Body

Golgi Body

I am seeing a lot of Liepard on the top European and Australian teams, and I am wondering why they chose it over other Prankster users. Sableye is a better Fake Out user, the only thing I can see Liepard has over it is Thunder Wave. Even with that, Thundurus is faster and is a much better Pokemon all-around. Is there something I am missing? The only positive thing I can see is Fake Out + TWave, and even with that it is really frail.
  5. Little Green Yoda

Little Green Yoda

Prankster Encore is the reason people use Liepard. Protect is a common way to foil Fake Out and Prankster Encore can lock opponents into that move (or any other setup move such as Substitute) if they don't switch.
  6. Terraquaza

Terraquaza You chegger?
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

swagger+foul play and speed
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  7. MaverickMeerkat

MaverickMeerkat

Quick Third Generation Question:

For a 'baton pass' Ninjask, which move to complete the set would y'all advise?

Ninjask:
    SPEED BOOST

Swords Dance
    Slash
    Baton Pass
    &
    Protect/Double Team

FYI, it's not a meta game set; so DT is a viable option.

Thanks.
  8. zX-vindictive-Xz

zX-vindictive-Xz

hi, im new to pokemon competative play and was wondering how i can learn more so that i could participate in vgc championships and such. i was just wondering on some websites i could go to to learn more about vgc and whats going on in vgc championships worlwide. are there any channels on youtube i could check out that would help me out . thx 4 the help.
  9. tlyee61

tlyee61

nuggetbridge.com and their PS! server are great places to learn VGC.
  10. Dennis Moberg

Dennis Moberg

I've just started VGC and I have a team built around getting reflect up and then use Chansey to counter (and use toxic). My problem though is that counter has failed several times, even though she has taken a Close Combat from Hitmontop. I don't know if this is because it wasn't the last move that hit her, because after the close combat she got hit by a blizzard, but should that really matter? I've been reading up on counter but can't find any reason for it to have failed.

I've been playing on Showdown btw.
  11. Arjunz

Arjunz

Does anyone know when the next Nationals and/or Regionals are being held? And where to find information on them?
  12. tlyee61

tlyee61

Fall regionals are rumored to be on 10 / 13 (NorCal) and 10 / 27 (all others at the time of posting). Winter Regionals are usually in January and Spring Regionals are usually in April. Nationals is usually mid July, and can be anywhere from July 8th to 10th IIRC

I find Counter / Mirror Coat on PS! really weird. In-game, you usually target a mon with them, predicting that they will use a phys. / sp. move.
  13. Dennis Moberg

Dennis Moberg

Ok, thanks. Haven't assembled my team yet for the actual game so good to know. Will be interesting to see the changes in gen VI as well. Eitherway, thanks. :P
  14. keninblack

keninblack

I just want to see if this is the right question to ask here. If not please direct to where I should ask it, and I'll delete the post no worries :)
    But I want to get into the VGC format, and I want a set of Pokemon that can help Cloyster in Doubles. Basically, I want a doubles team with Cloyster, but other than him I have no clue who else I should add. If a doubles team building thread exists or something I could greatly use it haha.
    Thanks in advance, sorry for wasting anyone's time xP
  15. tlyee61

tlyee61

Amoonguss is a nice partner for Cloyster since it has Rage Powder, which enables Cloyster to freely set up Shell Smash. Also, it resists many of the types that Cloyster is weak to like Fighting and Electric.
  16. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

Most of cloyster weakness are commonly seen as single target attacks (beware of discharge thought) and resited by Amoongus and since regenerator Amoongus is gaining a huge usage peak (that thing is hard to kill, he switch out and bang! he have his health back) is surely a big help. Just get rid of the rock sliders (or put it to sleep with spore before you switch cloyster in ;))
  17. Albus

Albus

I'd like what Pokémons would make good partners for a Dragon Dance Salamence (Besides Amoonguss)? since i'm thinking to use it on a upcoming local's Tournament, i'm need help concerning its partners. Thanks in advance.
  18. tlyee61

tlyee61

IMO, DDMence is a bad choice because of Salamence's common weaknesses to spread moves like Blizzard and Rock Slide. A Mixed Scarf set would work better with HP Flying, Draco Meteor, Rock Slide and Flamethrower. You probably want enough Attack to OHKO 4 HP Volcarona with double-target Rock Slide which I think is 36 Attack (idk which nature atm...)
  19. Albus

Albus

I consider DDmence similar to Volcarona; I'm willing to take the gamble to use it with Dragon Dance to try something different (i normally use the Special Scarf variant). since that local tourney is 6 VS 6, i thought on using it as a mid-late game cleaner with Substitute + DD, but i'm still having trouble concerning the Teammates.
    And btw, i think that the right nature for your suggested set may be Rash; and i'll try it too.
  20. Tmac944

Tmac944

4th Gen moves are legal in VGC, correct? I want to use Dark Pulse on Heatran, and therefore have to catch one in Platinum, and I want to make sure I'm allowed to use it before going to the extra trouble of getting one.
  21. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

Every move that the pokemon could learn via move tutor in other gens are perfectly legal. But keep in mind that 3rd Gen move tutor are harder to get since Emerald RNG is quite difficult and in XD and Colosseum the only way posible to get "usable" pokes are soft reset (helping hand Dusclops anyone?)
    Tmac944 and tlyee61 like this.
  22. tlyee61

tlyee61

Adding onto this, there are a select few that can RNG in XD> IIRC they're @Hozu, Zari and @Kaphotics to name a few.
  23. Tmac944

Tmac944

Thank you for the quick and helpful response. I thought this was the case, but was a tad confused when I did not see Dark Pulse listed on Heatran's moveset in the Strategy Pokedex.
  24. Trigunner

Trigunner

What would be the advised nature and EV-spread for such a Liepard? Jolly with max HP and max Speed?
  25. Alblupe

Alblupe

Are Solar Power Charizard and Chlorophyll Venusaur legal in VGC?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)