1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. CavemanCossy

CavemanCossy

I have a question about Showdown; When testing a team, should I set them to level 50 or level 100?
  2. tlyee61

tlyee61

it auto-levels them to 50
  3. CavemanCossy

CavemanCossy

Thanks tlyee61.

Another question (lol); how do I ask for help for my current VGC team? Can I just post a thread or is there a specific RMT for VGC 2014?
  4. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

You can post it in the Others Teams subforum of the RMT section here on Smogon but remember to add the "VGC" tag in title so is way more easy for raters to find it. You can post it on the Rate My Team section of Nuggetbridge too, since they are a VGC exclusive comunity you don't need to add any extra tag and will reach a specific audience.
    CavemanCossy likes this.
  5. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

VGC does not obey that rule. It only delevels Pokemon down to 50; Pokemon level 49 and below stay their exact level. This is important as certain Pokemon are only viable at level 1, like Sturdy Aron.
  6. tlyee61

tlyee61

he was asking whether he should set the levels on the showdown teambuilder to 50. also, showdown also allows for under-50 to stay this way. Sorry, I should have made my post more clear in that it levels then down to 50.
  7. Unowninator

Unowninator

I used Ctrl + F in the official VGC rules for Mewtwo & found 0 results. Does this mean that Mewtwo is allowed? I'm asking because they usually list banned Pokemon that are in the specific Pokedex.
  8. TheMantyke

TheMantyke DISRESPECT YOUR SUPERIORS
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

The Pokemon allowed include Central Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #150, Coastal Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #153, and Mountain Kalos Pokédex from #001 to #147. Mewtwo is #151 in the Mountain Kalos Pokedex and is not allowed.
  9. Unowninator

Unowninator

Crap. I thought for sure it was allowed. Okay, thanks.
  10. Sprocket

When a Pledge combo is used, what element type is the attack?
  11. Dragonknight!

Dragonknight!

What moves are current unobtainable but will soon be obtainable for VGC? This means egg moves currently unobtainable, like Perish Song on Gengar. Is there a list anywhere? If not, can a thread be made figuring out these things?
  12. Sprocket

The only moves missing are specific egg moves, since previous generation tutor moves are illegal.
  13. Dragonknight!

Dragonknight!

I'm aware, but is there a list of these anywhere? Helps with breeding, but I'm not sure how relevant this list would be. ie. Don't want to breed gastlys right now because I'd have to breed them again when I have access to perish song that I need for VGC.
  14. blizzardy

blizzardy Link Together With All
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

Excuse me if this question has already been addressed (I'm too lazy to wad through all 53 pages lol)

How exactly do you enter official VGC tournaments? Is there a sign up on the official page? Are there qualifying matches as well?
  15. Sprocket

For US Regionals, you can usually just show up with your DS and game and be ready to play. There will be a small registration process before the games actually start. You want to have a Play ID already created at www.pokemon.com but the staff running the regionals will usually help you out if you don't have one.

I don't know about US Nationals, other Nationals tournaments (UK, France, etc), Last Chance Qualifier or Worlds, though.
    blizzardy likes this.
  16. blizzardy

blizzardy Link Together With All
    is a Pre-Contributor
    Mentor

Thank you!
  17. Tikhaos

Tikhaos

Has Outrage been changed this Gen?

Because I haven't struck my teammate once yet
  18. Dragonpolabear

Dragonpolabear

Um, not exactly sure if this goes here, but here goes anyway:

Can anyone tell me a reasonable way to counter Mega Kanga? And if this kind of question is not allowed here, can someone tell me where I can post this?

I'm having a hard time fighting against Mega Kanga in my Trick Room team. He just wrecks me before I can even do anything, whether it's setting up trick room or outright killing him.
  19. Tikhaos

Tikhaos

Quick Guard stops fake out/sucker punch if you know they're gonna use it once you get trick room set up, it shouldn't be too much of a problem
  20. Retro64

Retro64

This actually answers the main question I was going to ask, thank you, but I do have one more. Looking through the FAQ on the pokemon site it talks about Champion tournaments and League tournaments. Do competing in these affect your qualification or rank for the VGC's? Is it encouraged to compete in them? Are these even a part of the VGC's? Since they sound like more local tournaments.
  21. Uberbiscit

Uberbiscit

Can I use a swift swim/drizzle combo for the VGCs? Or is that banned? Thanks
  22. RabidChipmunk

RabidChipmunk

What are some good teammates for Mega Abomasnow? Is Trick Room a must?
  23. ankyfdarkness

ankyfdarkness

It is not banned. Feel free to use it.
    Depends. He's not bad on a Trick Room team.
    Uberbiscit likes this.
  24. Sprocket

Caveat: Quick Guard is in the same priority bracket as Fake Out. Prankster Meowstic-M will always block priority moves (Prankster boosts Quick Guard), but other Quick Guard users will need to be faster.
  25. aquaspirit39

aquaspirit39

Sorry a newb here and I dont really understand how this VGC work. I know it is a double battle competition but other than that I know nothing. So I guess by "played in person" means I need to go to a place in order to join this event or sumthing?

Thanks

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)