1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Solace, Aug 11, 2012.

1. ankyfdarkness

ankyfdarkness

That's exactly how it works. You fly or drive to the event (unless you're a lucky son-of-a-gun that lives nearby), register on the spot, and participate in the tournament. Not much to it really. nuggetbridge.com is a good place to go if you need info about how VGCs work.
  2. WildShot

WildShot

Okay. Let's say that I've set up Safeguard on the previous turn (on my half of the field). Then let's say I used Swagger on one of my own Pokémon. Would my Pokémon still get the +2 Attack boost and still not get confused, or would both of the effects of Swagger get blocked entirely?
  3. Rokinho

Rokinho

no idea wildshot srry :/.

hey i have a question: im just new here and i can't start a topic on vgc section can some1 tell me why? (for example: you need X amount of posts before starting a topic)
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  4. Sprocket

Sprocket P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n

You would not be confused, and you would gain the attack boost.
  5. Five Green

Five Green

What nature and IV spread would you guys use for Gourgeist? Planning to use one but I'm undecided on what stat focus in...:I
  6. ankyfdarkness

ankyfdarkness

Can only give my opinion, but I'd run +def nature to combat the multitude of powerful physical attackers like 'Mence, Kanga, Mawhile, etc. Depends on your team though.

Edit: It already takes Electric attacks pretty well, and doesn't like fire or ice, which is another reason to run +defense.
    Five Green likes this.
  7. Five Green

Five Green

You're right, tried on showdown a +sp def one but it looked like wasted, and if I use a + atk one, then I might as well use Trevenant instead of him c: Thanks
  8. MooOnceMore

MooOnceMore

Do Helping Hand boosts stack?
  9. Sprocket

I believe so, but considering VGC is doubles, you will never get more than one Helping Hand boost off at a time.
  10. MooOnceMore

MooOnceMore

I was thinking mega kanga as some sort of bulky supporter abusing seismic toss/helping hand. Thanks. I'll test it once pokebank comes around.
  11. Sprocket

Seismic Toss/Helping Hand Kangaskhan is illegal in VGC. Both moves are previous gen TM/tutor moves, and Kangaskhan is required to have been caught/hatched in Kalos.
  12. MooOnceMore

MooOnceMore

Oh yeah sorry you're right. I read somewhere you were able to use pokebank pokemon to breed, I guess that mixed me up. My apologies
  13. raypowao

raypowao

Does anyone know the link to showdown's VGC 2014 Simulator Statistics?
  14. Sprocket

You can use PokeBank Pokemon to breed, but the moves you want to use still need to be legal Gen 6 egg moves, because Pokemon need to be actually caught/hatched in Kalos to be legal.
    http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-smogon-university-simulator-statistics-—-november-2013.3494159/unread
  15. bluebird503

bluebird503

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a quick way to calculate a pokemon's speed at level 50?
  16. Sprocket

Honestly I just use PS's damage calculator as it lets me easily compare my desired Pokemon versus rivals. Be sure to set level to 50, since it defaults to level 100.
  17. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

Analyses list a Pokemon's speed with a neutral and positive nature with either 0 or 252 EVs. I just go on Pokemon Showdown and mess around with natures/EVs on there. Sprocket's method is faster though lol
  18. AyameHikaru

AyameHikaru

Trying to figure out some different EV spreads for VGC, what are the jump points for lv. 50? Is it like, every other one for lv 100?
  19. Sprocket

In order to prevent wasted EVs, follow this easy to follow guide:

If the IV is odd (31), make sure EV/8 has a remainder of 0.5. IE 252/8 = 31.5.
    If the IV is even (30), EV/8 is a whole number. IE 248/8 = 31.

This is due to level 50 mechanics.
  20. AyameHikaru

AyameHikaru

I'm aware of that. I was referring to the jump points for natures.
  21. Sprocket

In that case I'm not understanding the question :(
  22. AyameHikaru

AyameHikaru

A nature boosts a stat by 10%, yes? Meaning that every once in a while, instead of gaining +1 to a stat, you gain +2. I'm trying to find where those boosts happen, so I can know how many EVs I should put in to hit that point.
  23. Sidfrid

Sidfrid

I think this guide have what you are looking for: http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/making-good-ev-spreads/

I sure heard (or read) somewhere about what you are asking but right now that link is the better answer I can give you.
  24. AyameHikaru

AyameHikaru

Still nothing on the boosts, but thank you regardless.
  25. Flamedood

Flamedood

Been mucking around on doubles for a bit and was wondering whether Assault Vest was viable on Rhyperior? Does it turn any OHKOs into 2KHOs? Or is he better running something like expert belt or liechi berry?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)