VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weakened by .75 (what was said) = the amount by which damage goes down is 75% (i.e. final damage is 25%). = Incorrect
Weakened to .75 (what he meant) = the amount of damage goes down to 75% of normal = Correct
"By .75 times", that's multiplication. It's isn't "the amount by which damage goes down is 75%". "by" in his sentence is multiplication. I think it's generally common knowledge that the word "by" implies multiplication, anyone who's done a world problem in middle school should know that. The .75 is equal to 3/4. So you're multiplying the damage of a move by .75 which is going to equal 75% of what it would be to one pokemon. If he wanted to say it the way you're implying i'm sure he would've just said "to 75%" instead of .75 because there's no reason to bring decimals into this unless you're doing multiplication which was the case and you misunderstood him.

To succeed in the VGC, do you require near-perfect IVs in Defenses as well for sweepers and the like? I suspect that it is a requirement at that level, but I just wish to confirm.

Do any abilities stack in doubles? If I sent out two pokémon who had intimidate, are the opponents' attack stats lowered by 2? Is this the same for Pressure? If I send out two who know Pressure will the opponents lose 4 pp per turn?

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Do any abilities stack in doubles? If I sent out two pokémon who had intimidate, are the opponents' attack stats lowered by 2? Is this the same for Pressure? If I send out two who know Pressure will the opponents lose 4 pp per turn?
Intimidate 'stacks', pressure does not

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Do any other abilities stack?

EDIT: Thanks for the quick answer too btw!
Most abilities stack.

Pressure's a bit of a weird case because PP is only deducted when you use a move that targets the thing with Pressure. Like if your opponent has a zapdos out, and you use a single-target move on its opponent, you won't have extra PP deducted. If you use a spread move on two things that both have Pressure, then you'll have PP deducted twice. (I think that's how it works anyway, I can't find any site that says otherwise)

Does Se Jun Park use these forums or is there a way i can ask him a question about an ev spread on one of his mons?
He has a Fan Twitter account if you want to get in contact with him using social media. However, its all in Korean so you might want to use google translate.

According to some calculations I did, I believe his Pachirisu is 252 HP 252 Def and 6 SDef, but I can't be sure until he decides to tell it.
I'm pretty sure this isn't true. From my understanding and calculations, it's 252 HP/220 Def/36 SpDef Impish. No real point in maxing out defense when that already is enough to take the strongest attacks.

What's a good set for a modest Telepathy Gardevoir? I currently had this in mind:
@ Sitrus Berry, 196 HP / 164 Def / 140 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 4 Spd
-Dazzling Gleam
-Protect
-Psyshock
-Will-O-Wisp

The EVs Guarentee it will always survive Talonflame's Brave Bird, Garchomp's Earthquake, and Mega Venu's Sludge Bomb. But is there a better set for it? Also, what would be some good partners?

What's a good set for a modest Telepathy Gardevoir?
This is a really popular spread in Japan, mostly for specs gard.
252 HP / 116 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe

Lives CB BB and Jolly Kan return 87.5% of the time without sitrus berry. The speed is to speed creep 12 speed rotom. And the rest is thrown into SpA.

This is a really popular spread in Japan, mostly for specs gard.
252 HP / 116 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 60 Spe

Lives CB BB and Jolly Kan return 87.5% of the time without sitrus berry. The speed is to speed creep 12 speed rotom. And the rest is thrown into SpA.
87.5% isn't a guarantee. I'd go for more defense so you don't get the bad end of a damage roll.

87.5% isn't a guarantee. I'd go for more defense so you don't get the bad end of a damage roll.
The spread was mostly for talonflame. I'm not sure using that many EVs to live Kan's return is worth it. It doesn't really leave all that much room for SpA EVs.

The spread was mostly for talonflame. I'm not sure using that many EVs to live Kan's return is worth it. It doesn't really leave all that much room for SpA EVs.
If you can live a Return, that means you're still on the field, so you're still a target and you can use that for mind games. Seeing how it's specs Gardevoir, I doubt you need much Sp.Atk to OHKO the main threats it's used for. My opinion anyway.

There was a promotional gengar just announced it comes with sludge wave which it can't normally learn is this going to be competitively viable at all?
Sludge Wave isn't a great move in doubles since it hits your partner as well. You can play around that with protect and steel types but Sludge Bomb is the smarter choice imo.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm pretty sure this isn't true. From my understanding and calculations, it's 252 HP/220 Def/36 SpDef Impish. No real point in maxing out defense when that already is enough to take the strongest attacks.
what did these EVs do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)