VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
They don't, but some people run Iron Ball on their weather starters to help win the lead matchup against other weathers (since the slowest one activates their ability last).

I know that Ninetales is the only not Uber Drought, (besides Vulpix) but would'nt Politoed, T-Tar, and Hippodown have the advantage since they have significantly lower speeds. So in that case is Sun bad to use?

I know that Ninetales is the only not Uber Drought, (besides Vulpix) but would'nt Politoed, T-Tar, and Hippodown have the advantage since they have significantly lower speeds. So in that case is Sun bad to use?
Sun has a number of issues to surmount and outspeed enemy weather inducers is one of them. A good sun team can be made, but oftentimes Ninetales will have to be played differently from a Politoed. Sometimes, it will sit in the back waiting for your opponent to switch in their weather inducer. Other teams might give Ninetales an Iron Ball to nearly guarantee their sun turn one.

Although its very risky is using entry hazards and phasers in doubles viable. Being able to set them up and successfully phazing is hard enough but if you were able to pull it off, would it do any good?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Although its very risky is using entry hazards and phasers in doubles viable. Being able to set them up and successfully phazing is hard enough but if you were able to pull it off, would it do any good?
It might, but with negative priority from phaze moves and the turn spent setting up hazards, you end up in a pretty bad position to take hits in exchange for negligible damage.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pretty much the only hazard I can see working at all is Toxic Spikes. Since the concept of checks and counters doesn't really exist like singles, and healing is difficult, you can't force many switches so you'd have to actively use the hazards, and the damage that Spikes/SR can do per turn is less than your typical bulky attacker will be doing with direct damage.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Stealth Rocks or one layer of Toxic Spikes is about as good as you can reasonably get in VGC due to how fast paced it is. If it's a typical VGC battle with no switches from your opponent (or one or two due to a terrible lead matchup), you'll at most hit two Pokemon out of 4 with Rocks/Spikes. You would have been better off hitting with a status move like Toxic, Thunder Wave, or Will-O-Wisp instead. Also, you'll often do more damage just attacking outright than using Stealth Rocks.

VGC battles are done in 15 minutes; it's rare for it to last more than 10 rounds. A lot of common Pokemon seen in VGC are immune to Toxic Spikes anyhow (Cresselia, Metagross, Zapdos, Scizor, the genies, Rotom, most Dragons except Garchomp and Haxorus), and most just shrug off Stealth Rocks; I can't think of many situations where even 25% damage from rocks will net a KO that you'd otherwise miss. Pokemon hit 50% by rocks are virtually non-existent in VGC.

No, they have not posted the rules as of now.
idk what pokemon.com you're looking at. http://www.pokemon.com/us/play-pokemon/championship-series/vg-autumn-regional-championships/

What Is the Tournament Format?
The Autumn Regional series will allow use of only Pokémon Black Version, or Pokémon White Version DS Cartridges, and will be run using Age Modified Swiss (single game) pairings and a cut to a Top 8 (attendance allowing) single elimination finals. Single elimination finals will be run as best 2 out of 3.
The Video Game Tournament format document, which contains details about Team construction rules and a list of Pokémon that cannot be used in competitive play, can be found here.

I have a question about damage modification. If I have a Discharge Zapdos, with Electric Gem, Helping Hand boosted, in a double battle, what will the output be?

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have a question about damage modification. If I have a Discharge Zapdos, with Electric Gem, Helping Hand boosted, in a double battle, what will the output be?
All those modifiers are multiplicative, so you just multiply Discharge's power by each modification

Discharge = 80 power
Multi-targetted: x0.75
Helping Hand: x1.5
Electric Gem: x1.5

80*.75*1.5*1.5= 135 power
So roughly a boost of 1.7 times a full power Discharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)