VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
players only need the game and a DS, which, 99% of the time, they'll already have anyway
I tend to disagree with that but is because I personally do not buy a new system until a Pokemon version game needs it. I know I am representative of a lot of people.

I guess it boils down more to entree costs. Speaking of which what is the cost to enter VCG Regionals?

Not sure if this is simple or complex, my last batch of Ev training was finished last night and I was all ready to start some intense prepping for Regionals by playing rated GBU, when then it said something like connection error, it was'nt because of my wi-fi because it did'nt give me that familliar message, so WTF. It happened with free mode to. I was using Pokemon Black of course because the 2 games are banned from October Regionals. Anyone know the issue?
My question still stands.

ok so I know you can get disqualified if your pokemon nickname is inappropriate. But what about ID? I have a pokemon with an ID of P-FUCK
Would that get me dq'd for the october regionals?
Im just paranoid about this but just want to make sure

ok so I know you can get disqualified if your pokemon nickname is inappropriate. But what about ID? I have a pokemon with an ID of P-FUCK
Would that get me dq'd for the october regionals?
Im just paranoid about this but just want to make sure
I would say yes. It displays your trainer name when you start & end your match.
Unless the pokemon with said trainer name isn't your current name. In that case I don't know.

@ Golden Piloswine: The answer depends on a lot of things; when did you receive the message? What exactly did it say? What was the error code?

@ LEgo: So long as your opponent doesn't see it, you'll be fine.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
does anyone hear know anyone willing to rng for people

i need someone willing to rng for me
Check this thread for people who are willing to provide Pokémon. But keep in mind that we don't know the rules for the next set of regionals yet, so you may want to hold off on making a team until we get that information.

How common are Tailwind based teams?
Who are the best Tailwind users?
How many Tailwind users would be appropriate?
EDIT:
How useful/strong is Cloud Nine? Is Golduck the best user (seems like it)?

^I second the above question.

As well, what is the usual pattern with announcing rules? When will we know the ruleset that Nationals and Worlds will be using this year?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
The chances are that TCPi decided that having a Canadian nationals with so very little attendance compared to any other nationals was just a waste of money.

And rules will be announced when they are announced. We don't know when TCPi will release them, so just be patient.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
How common are Tailwind based teams?
Who are the best Tailwind users?
How many Tailwind users would be appropriate?
EDIT:
How useful/strong is Cloud Nine? Is Golduck the best user (seems like it)?
Tailwind is not very common, and it's even rarer for a team to be built heavily around it (largely because such teams have a really hard time with Trick Room, I'd imagine). The best users either are bulky (e.g. Suicune, Zapdos, Scizor) or have Prankster (Tornadus and Whimsicott basically). I wouldn't put more than two users on your team, if you need more than that then your team is probably too dependent on it.

Cloud Nine really isn't worth it at all. All of the users are bad, as soon as they get KO'd the effect goes away, and it's a waste of a slot against weatherless teams. Better to run your own weather or make a team that's functional regardless of weather instead.

Tailwind is not very common, and it's even rarer for a team to be built heavily around it (largely because such teams have a really hard time with Trick Room, I'd imagine). The best users either are bulky (e.g. Suicune, Zapdos, Scizor) or have Prankster (Tornadus and Whimsicott basically). I wouldn't put more than two users on your team, if you need more than that then your team is probably too dependent on it.

Cloud Nine really isn't worth it at all. All of the users are bad, as soon as they get KO'd the effect goes away, and it's a waste of a slot against weatherless teams. Better to run your own weather or make a team that's functional regardless of weather instead.
Trick Room countering should be rather easy, just include someone who can flip it back I assume?
I still find it odd Tailwind isn't used much. It is the good type of odd though, as it might make the idea unexpected and kinda original. I don't tend to like using cookie-cutter Teams.

why is there no nats at canada and will it be like this permanently or just this year?

I just notice this on the official website too.
Play! Pokemon

Travel awards and byes are awarded to the winning player and are awarded to the U.S. National Championships. A Canadian player is therefore eligible to win a travel award to the U.S. National Championships, as there is no Video Game Nationals in Canada in 2013.
As long as there are still Canadian Regionals... I could care less.

Not really, cause it's too frail. Giving flash fire to ferrothorn can be quite cool though, leaving it only weak to fighting, which is covered by your Cresselia.

Don't base a team around it, but having ferrothorn alongside skill swap can be handy.

lol how about this idea i thought i was wondering would it actually work.
You have cresselia, shedinja and spiritomb ect ect ect
first have cresselia zero speed what so ever, with mental herb to stop taunt then make it use troom (have any partner you like) then switch in shedinja use skill swap take the wonder gaurd ability next trun switch out shedinja use skill swap on spiritomb giving it the wonder gaurd. BAM untouchable spiritomb then it tries to sweep i don't know

If the ruleset changes, to basically the beggining cup, is crobat the second fastest Pokemon? - If so could I invest more EV's into HP?

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
In beginners cup iirc, the two fastest will be Crobat and Jolteon who both Speed tie. It might be work taking the EVs out of Speed or even take them out of Attack for some extra bulk, but you would really have to know what you wanna live.

For example in VGC 2012, I used Adamant with 24 HP EVs and enough Speed EVs to outspeed genies and the extra EVs let me live Adamant max Attack Heracross's Stone Edge.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
In beginners cup iirc, the two fastest will be Crobat and Jolteon who both Speed tie. It might be work taking the EVs out of Speed or even take them out of Attack for some extra bulk, but you would really have to know what you wanna live.

For example in VGC 2012, I used Adamant with 24 HP EVs and enough Speed EVs to outspeed genies and the extra EVs let me live Adamant max Attack Heracross's Stone Edge.
Accelgor says hi :P Though I doubt it'll see much use.

You may want to invest enough Speed to beat Tornadus-T (depending on how the rest of your team does with it), which would require Jolly. Otherwise, there isn't much to worry about above the Incarnate genies and then the musketeers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)