VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
why did u quote me as fat? lol thats not very nice.

ON TOPIC:
will scraftys hidden ability be thru the 3ds as well then?
Everyone is quoted as Fat. Also, its very unlikely that it will be. Scrafty is not available through Dream Radar, so if he is released it will most likely be through event or bw2 dream world.

Chandelure, Conkeldurr and Rotom-W work pretty well together, covering almost all of each other's weaknesses. Also, Conkeldurr and Reuniclus have amazing synergy for a Trick Room team. Scizor could also work pretty well in a TR team with Rotom-W and Chandelure.

So basically, if you wanted to use a team with all of your favorites, it would look something like this:

Chandelure
Conkeldurr
Reuniclus
Rotom-W
Scizor
*maybe another slow Pokemon like Rhyperior/Metagross/Amoonguss or another one TR mon like Musharna*

EDIT:
here's an outline of the team in case you need some help on it ~

Chandelure (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Protect
- Shadow Ball
- Heat Wave

Conkeldurr (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spd)
- Detect
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Rock Slide / Payback

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SAtk
- Energy Ball
- Protect
- Psychic
- Trick Room

(EVs allow it to OHKO most standard Hitmontop & Conkeldurr, survive Adamant Tyranitar's Crunch, OHKO Non-Rindo Berry Gastrodon with Energy Ball)
CREDIT GOES TO CASSIE AND JIO OF NUGGETBRIDGE FOR THE EV SPREAD

Rotom-W @ Electric Gem / Water Gem / Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 248 SAtk / 4 SDef
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect (Trick or Volt Switch if Choice Specs)

Scizor (M) @ Flying Gem (Occa Berry / Bug Gem / Steel Gem if you're not using Acrobatics)
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Acrobatics / Aerial Ace / Superpower
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Krookodile (F) @ Rock Gem / Dark Gem / Ground Gem / Chople Berry
Trait: Intimidate / Moxie
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Rock Slide
Interesting, didn't notice quite a few on the list are slow Pokemon. But I didn't I intend / want to pigeon hole into such strategy. :-( Maybe I should update the list...
I know, I know; Strategies like Trick Room or Weather are used a lot because they work, but I am not into "mainstream" / "cookie-cutter" strategies.
Eh, maybe I'll try it, it's just a bit uninspired (no disrespect meant, I really appreciate your input!).
EDIT: I just noticed that 4 of the team are Unova Pokemon. That's awesome! Anyway to fit other Unova Pokemon in there (doesn't have to be from my old list; I like the theme to keeping to one Gen's Pokemon)? Maybe Ferrothorn or Excavalier instead of Scizor for example?
Also, it is normal for Trick Room teams to run just one setup Pokemon and run a decently quick Pokemon (Krookodile in your Team suggestion)?

Interesting, didn't notice quite a few on the list are slow Pokemon. But I didn't I intend / want to pigeon hole into such strategy. :-( Maybe I should update the list...
I know, I know; Strategies like Trick Room or Weather are used a lot because they work, but I am not into "mainstream" / "cookie-cutter" strategies.
Eh, maybe I'll try it, it's just a bit uninspired (no disrespect meant, I really appreciate your input!).
EDIT: I just noticed that 4 of the team are Unova Pokemon. That's awesome! Anyway to fit other Unova Pokemon in there (doesn't have to be from my old list; I like the theme to keeping to one Gen's Pokemon)? Maybe Ferrothorn or Excavalier instead of Scizor for example?
Also, it is normal for Trick Room teams to run just one setup Pokemon and run a decently quick Pokemon (Krookodile in your Team suggestion)?
A tangent but related question (and this will sound noobish...sorry), what is Goodstuffs? From what I have seen, it looks like building a team of strong Pokemon with strong movepools with not overarching theme/strategy, so while you don't have a theme to exploit, neither can your opponent hamper it (i.e. You can disrupt weather, etc.). The real strategy looks like it is archiving victory through better moves/stats. Am I right? Or way off mark?

bw2 has a different dream world then bw1??
Yes, but it is accessed the same way. It all depends on which game you send a pokemon into the dream world with. With a bw1 cart, you'll only find non-Unova mons. With a bw2 cart, you can find any of the released dreamworld mons including Unova.

A tangent but related question (and this will sound noobish...sorry), what is Goodstuffs? From what I have seen, it looks like building a team of strong Pokemon with strong movepools with not overarching theme/strategy, so while you don't have a theme to exploit, neither can your opponent hamper it (i.e. You can disrupt weather, etc.). The real strategy looks like it is archiving victory through better moves/stats. Am I right? Or way off mark?
You're very close actually, but it has less to do with "better" stats/movepools. Goodstuffs teams focus on creating synergy between team mates. While it's easy to identify some mons as being "better" than others, such as Klingklang versus Metagross, other mons may find a very important niche on a goodstuffs team do to an ability or just the fact that it works well with another. Kangaskhan is a good example of this. While not a particularly "good" mon, its niche as the only fake-out that hits ghosts can be incredibly important for building momentum and stopping a team that relies on say trick room Chandelure. When it comes down to it, goodstuffs comes down to synergy rather than the traditional sense of "good".

Has Volt Absorb Raikou been released? And if it hasn't, will it be released before the Winter Regionals?
It has not, and it probably won't be. The only DW legends that have been released are those through the Dream Radar: Thundurus, Tornadus, Landorus, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Ho-oh, and Lugia.

Is Unburden worth using?
I can see a few funny scenarios based on Unburden, Lum Berry, a Friendly Swagger, and Acrobatics...

EDIT: I'm asking and posting here too much...I should shut up now...

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Is Unburden worth using?
I can see a few funny scenarios based on Unburden, Lum Berry, a Friendly Swagger, and Acrobatics...

EDIT: I'm asking and posting here too much...I should shut up now...
I suppose it could work, but none of the Unburden mons have any powerful spread moves (which is why Beat Up+Terrakion is so effective against unprepared players), so once your opponent figures out the strategy they'll quickly take it down with double targeting (assuming they don't KO it while you're setting up), so the rest of your team will still have to be strong without it. Plus, it'd be horribly vulnerable to Trick Room.

And feel free to keep asking questions, this forum doesn't get enough activity normally :P

Would like to run Haxorus on my VGC team just out of aesthetic preference but I'm aware of his lacking speed. Originally I was going to run Salamence with Cresselia but I'm just experimenting.

I'm going to be running him Jolly, but I have no access to an Unnerve Haxorus so for now I'm running him with Mold breaker. I plan to use Cresselia however, so in the interest of mending the lack of synergy there do you think there's any moves that would replace Earthquake well or should I just run togekiss instead as a support?

Hello I have 5 questions:

1.What´s a god split for bulky chopleberry modest hydreigeon?
2. I´ve the oldest DS and no access to dream radar and so not to Landorus-T, will it be nearly unreplaceable or will it be like Cresse, very good but repleacable ( If it´s beginning cup or gbu doubles). I want to play nationals next year.
3. I´ve heared that you can´t trade the dream radar landorus, so do you must have a 3DS to get it ( I don´t use Pokecheck)
4. Is it impossible to replace the fog in the forest by the cave to RNG Metagross so it´s impossible to RNG without lightmetal on bw2?
5. Are there new informations about VGC 13?

Would like to run Haxorus on my VGC team just out an aesthetic preference but I'm aware of his lacking speed. Originally I was going to run Salamence with Cresselia but I'm just experimenting.

I'm going to be running him Jolly, but I have no access to an Unnerve Haxorus so for now I'm running him with Mold breaker. I plan to use Cresselia however, so in the interest of mending the lack of synergy there do you think there's any moves that would replace Earthquake well or should I just run Togetic instead as a support?
Good to see Haxxy being used!
I find Choice Scarf Haxorus to be a great anti-metagamer, since it can OHKO Garchomp and outrun Neutral Scarf 110s. Dragon Dance also works for the same reasons, though it is outclassed by Dragonite. As for support, Togekiss works really well, providing Tailwind, Helping Hand, and Follow Me support, and being a flying type makes it a great partner for Haxorus.
Hello I have 5 questions:

1.What´s a god split for bulky chopleberry modest hydreigeon?
2. I´ve the oldest DS and no access to dream radar and so not to Landorus-T, will it be nearly unreplaceable or will it be like Cresse, very good but repleacable ( If it´s beginning cup or gbu doubles). I want to play nationals next year.
3. I´ve heared that you can´t trade the dream radar landorus, so do you must have a 3DS to get it ( I don´t use Pokecheck)
4. Is it impossible to replace the fog in the forest by the cave to RNG Metagross so it´s impossible to RNG without lightmetal on bw2?
5. Are there new informations about VGC 13?
1. I don't know this, I just tend to run 252 HP/252 SpA/4 something, because it usually does the job. Also, I like running Dark Gem or White Herb, but that's personal preference.
2. I'm not sure what exactly you mean. If you mean, 'Is there a substitute to Landorus-T?' then yes there is, like Landorus-I if you still wan't the Flying typing or Garchomp. More unusual options are Swampert, Torterra or Hippowdon, if you're focused more on the bulk aspect.
3. Yes, I'm afraid you do. I'm not entirely sure if the form trading thing is true, but if 4th gen is anything to go by, you do need the 3DS.
4. I don't know anything about RNG, but I'm guessing it is impossible to remove said fog, since I think Defog is no longer a field move. If you need a non-DW Metagross, try a previous game.
5. Not that I know of. Just keep checking Smogon, the official Pokemon website, and various other Pokemon sites on the web and they'll be there eventually.

Getting back go this idea:
How well does Trick Room interact with Weather?
I was thinking of doing a Team based on Trick Room with a Weather as a sub theme (so 4 of the 6 ready for Weather). Example (rough idea)
Brozong (Trick Room Setter)
Jellicent (Trick Room setter)
Emboar (Hammer Arm under Trick Room :D)
Tyranitar (Sandstorm setter)
Torterra
Gorluk (Hammer Arm under Trick Room :D)
Some posters suggested getting Reuniclus in there, that Bronzong, Emboar, and Toterra are terrible, and that Weather and Trick Room Together are not a solid idea. I still think it is a good idea, with Sandstorm being the most viable Weather. Anyone else got more ideas or more critique to the concept? Maybe just use one Trick Room setter and put better Pokemon in there (i.e. Reuniclus or Metagross instead of Brozong, but the former makes half the team weak to Dark)?

If it isn't good, be honest. Even if creative, creativity doesn't win you games. At least not many...

I'm trying to carve a little niché in my team (even it it is using two common strategies not used together) and it is getting incredibly hard as a new guy in competitive battling. This is why I was never into competitive battling in the past, I don't like using ideas that most use.

If it isn't good, be honest. Even if creative, creativity doesn't win you games. At least not many...
Before you can get creative with your team building, you should try to build a few basic teams of established team archetypes and see how you do. You can't play a rock song without knowing the basic strings. When you get the hang of it, the sky's the limit for what's viable in VGC.

My highest recommendation would be to hold off until the new rule set is announced and enroll in Battling 101's VGC program once it resumes. It seems like the opportunity you're looking for to get started.

I've noticed a lot of people in this thread lately asking about if the new rule sets have been released or when they will be. If you asked that or you're reading this thread and are about to ask the same question:

The first set of rules for regionals for the 2012-13 season were released in the first week of September, with the regionals being held a little more than a month after they were announced. The Winter regionals are on January 20th. The rules for them will not be announced until some time in December, most likely. So hang tight until then. Either find another tier to play in the meantime, or another game.

A point to consider is that Haxorus and Togekiss are both weak to Ice though.
Yea it seems like the universe is telling me not to use Haxorus.

:(

Problem is I have no access to the dream world versions (I don't have the available time to spend nor the time alotted until winter regionals to access enough points required to befriend them, or maybe I don't understand dreamworld?).

So unnerve haxorus, multi scale dragonite, and rough skin garchomp all seem like they are out of reach :/. This makes me feel forced to run an optimal Salamence, Hydreigon or Latios if I'm still wanting to have a dragon type.

Yea it seems like the universe is telling me not to use Haxorus.

:(

Problem is I have no access to the dream world versions (I don't have the available time to spend nor the time alotted until winter regionals to access enough points required to befriend them, or maybe I don't understand dreamworld?).

So unnerve haxorus, multi scale dragonite, and rough skin garchomp all seem like they are out of reach :/. This makes me feel forced to run an optimal Salamence, Hydreigon or Latios if I'm still wanting to have a dragon type.

You can always browse the trade threads in the Wi-Fi forum. When regionals come around, there are a few good users who will actually give away Pokemon for free.
As for the Dream World...as far as I know you only need about 10,000 points to unlock everything. If you know all the actions that give you points (and how many points each action yields), you can easily get around 500 points in an hour. So if you get access to it, play for about an hour a day for 10 days in Nov, then an hour a day for 10 days in Dec.
The only real problem is that the Dream World get very repetitive very fast, especially when you're in the grinding phase.

Getting back go this idea:
Some posters suggested getting Reuniclus in there, that Bronzong, Emboar, and Toterra are terrible, and that Weather and Trick Room Together are not a solid idea. I still think it is a good idea, with Sandstorm being the most viable Weather. Anyone else got more ideas or more critique to the concept? Maybe just use one Trick Room setter and put better Pokemon in there (i.e. Reuniclus or Metagross instead of Brozong, but the former makes half the team weak to Dark)?

I'm trying to carve a little niché in my team (even it it is using two common strategies not used together) and it is getting incredibly hard as a new guy in competitive battling. This is why I was never into competitive battling in the past, I don't like using ideas that most use.
I don't think that basing a team around a "theme" is a good way to go when constructing a competitive VGC team. A team needs to be able to deal with every possible team it encounters, and if it does use Weather or Trick Room, needs to be able to function without them too.

If you are just getting into this format and search for battles on Rated wi-fi mode, it's like throwing yourself in at the deep end and will probably discourage you. Having a solid team is half of the battle, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the same old Pokémon (Cresselia, Garchomp, Metagross, etc.) to be good.

When building a team, you need to pick one or two Pokémon and base your team around them - considering who might be able to switch into what and covering each others weaknesses. When you don't have the experience of the metagame it is hard to know which Pokémon/attacks you need to consider - so probably the best thing to do is create a very standard team, get on the wi-fi (Free mode gives easier opponents) and just learn the metagame - then you'll have a better understanding of building a team.

I don't think that basing a team around a "theme" is a good way to go when constructing a competitive VGC team. A team needs to be able to deal with every possible team it encounters, and if it does use Weather or Trick Room, needs to be able to function without them too.

If you are just getting into this format and search for battles on Rated wi-fi mode, it's like throwing yourself in at the deep end and will probably discourage you. Having a solid team is half of the battle, but that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be the same old Pokémon (Cresselia, Garchomp, Metagross, etc.) to be good.

When building a team, you need to pick one or two Pokémon and base your team around them - considering who might be able to switch into what and covering each others weaknesses. When you don't have the experience of the metagame it is hard to know which Pokémon/attacks you need to consider - so probably the best thing to do is create a very standard team, get on the wi-fi (Free mode gives easier opponents) and just learn the metagame - then you'll have a better understanding of building a team.
That is discouraging. I don't like being tied to use X thing because it is necessary to survive, it turns the environent into a game of Chess which that guy who sees the openng first wins or the guy who makes even the slightest mistake losses. But that is the Nature of the beast I guess. Competitive gaming might not be right for me sadly. :/

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
That is discouraging. I don't like being tied to use X thing because it is necessary to survive, it turns the environment into a game of Chess which that guy who sees the opening first wins or the guy who makes even the slightest mistake losses. But that is the Nature of the beast I guess. Competitive gaming might not be right for me sadly. :/
If you don't feel that that's true, then that might not be the case. However, Pokemon is hardly like that(unless you're playing 2011)! There are many successful players that don't use entirely standard teams. I find that sometimes, you can be creative in small ways around a team; there's never just one way to go with things. Things like Exeggutor on Wolfe's worlds team and his EV spreads show part of his creativity as a player, even if the rest of the team seemed somewhat standard. Considering the wide number of possibilities, you have tons of room to innovate--this is especially true considering the fluid and ever-changing nature of our metagame! If you don't like competition or feel overly challenged my team building, that's fine, but I hope you try to find enjoyment in it even if it only means having 2 or 3 things different from everyone else.

I did mention that a good team doesn't necessarily have to be composed of the top metagame Pokémon. The suggestion for you to use a standard team was for the purposes of you gaining experience - so you would be more knowledgeable about the kind of threats you would have to build your own team around.

I played maybe fifteen or so games yesterday and lost once. The team I lost to was a full Generation 1 team, but his team worked out for him. It's sometimes the unexpected moves from lesser-used Pokémon that can do the most damage - but there always needs to be the balance between originality and effectiveness.

Has there been any successful RNG Abuse for the Dream Radar or is that even possible? I do not have a 3DS yet.
There have been several. You can get one yourself if you have a Mac and can use the program PPRNG. RNG Reporter (for windows) will be updated soon with the feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)