VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Chatot banned, by any chance? It just seems a bit random. I guess it's something to do with Chatter's mechanics?

Why is Chatot banned, by any chance? It just seems a bit random. I guess it's something to do with Chatter's mechanics?
Yeah it has to do with chatter. They don't want people putting racial/offensive words in the move, and the thing with the voice & confusion, they feel it would be better off, if they just took it out.

I'm back with some more annoying questions.

1) What are the standard EV spreads for bulky Thundurus and Amoonguss (if there is one)?
2) This may be obvious, but is Occa Berry the most common item for Scizor?
3) Generally, is Psychic or Psyshock better for offensive Cresselia? I've stuck with Psychic due to the higher base power, but I noticed that a lot of the Top 4 Worlds teams used Psyshock instead.

I'm back with some more annoying questions.

1) What are the standard EV spreads for bulky Thundurus and Amoonguss (if there is one)?
2) This may be obvious, but is Occa Berry the most common item for Scizor?
3) Generally, is Psychic or Psyshock better for offensive Cresselia? I've stuck with Psychic due to the higher base power, but I noticed that a lot of the Top 4 Worlds teams used Psyshock instead.
1) Wolfe's Thundurus is 196 HP / 204 SDef / 108 Spd - not sure if that's standard, but hey it's a great spread. Here is the standard, Smogon's Amoonguss, 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD.

2) With Cybertron's team at nats'12 Steel Gem has become more & more common. Occa still appears frequently enough, so you should still anticipate it. Rain teams might lay off of Occa though because Rain hinders fire.

3) Psyshock. Even though it's power is less, with the over abundance of Hitmontop, it makes it better, due to Montop's better SpDef.

Hey, what´s atm themost used/ Split for intimidate Scrafty? I saw the split 132 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SDef Careful on Nuggetbridge, is it the best split in general or do you know other good splits ( afaik it lives with 176 Sdef a GemDM from Latios but I think it isn´t word because I saw it not so much like other dragons).

Anyone know why the VGC'13 format is called "Modified" by TPCi? It seems like a bit of a weird name.
I can't really speak for TPCI, but I think it's a remnant from TCG tournaments. TCG tournaments are hosted in a modified format that only allows cards from the newest sets (as well as various promotions). Since not all Pokemon are allowed in the VGC rule set, you can think of the rule set as a modified form of playing the games.

Hey, what´s atm themost used/ Split for intimidate Scrafty? I saw the split 132 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SDef Careful on Nuggetbridge, is it the best split in general or do you know other good splits ( afaik it lives with 176 Sdef a GemDM from Latios but I think it isn´t word because I saw it not so much like other dragons).
Hi, I do believe I am the original poster of that spread. I made it so it had the same bulk as Wolfe's worlds Hitmontop, but with much more attack. IIRC it does survive a DGem Draco Meteor from Timid Latios, but I don't think it survives modest. I am not exactly sure what you mean by the last part... (because I saw it not so much like other dragons)

Latios has the highest sp. attack among dragons, so if it can survive a timid latios hitting it with a gem boosted draco meteor, it can survive any other dragon using the same gem boosted move on a modest nature.

Latios has the highest sp. attack among dragons, so if it can survive a timid latios hitting it with a gem boosted draco meteor, it can survive any other dragon using the same gem boosted move on a modest nature.
nope, that is incorrect. Hyddreigon has a larger sp. attack stat than latios.

Should Thundurus pretty much always run a Calm nature in the 2013 format? Which Hidden Power is preferable - Flying or Ice (or neither)? What about Thundurus-T (nature and Hidden Power)?

Does anyone really use Tornadus or Tornadus-T?

nope, that is incorrect. Hyddreigon has a larger sp. attack stat than latios.
I actually thought this too, but as drifloon pointed out, latios does indeed have a slightly higher sp. attack stat.

As for tornadus/tornadus-T... I could see someone running a scarfed Tornadus-T in the rain, smashing Ludicolo and Fighting 'mons with perfect accuracy STAB Hurricanes, then switching to regain health via Regenerator. On the other hand, if Tornadus somehow already outspeeds Ludicolo in the rain, go for Flyig Gem Acrobatics for more reliability outside of weather.

Regular Tornadus has Prankster, Taunt, Rain Dance, and Tailwind, in addition to a little more power at the cost of bulk and speed. Nothing overly amazing i suppose, although manual starting rain could work? Or you could abuse priority Tailwind, somehow.

Regular Tornadus has Prankster, Taunt, Rain Dance, and Tailwind, in addition to a little more power at the cost of bulk and speed. Nothing overly amazing i suppose, although manual starting rain could work? Or you could abuse priority Tailwind, somehow.
I thought Tornadus should have either Rain Dance, or Tailwind, not both, especially if it's being used in Rain.

No, Latios has base 130 base SpAtk and Hydreigon has 125 base SpAtk.
However, despite the different in base stats, Modest Hydreigon has a stronger SAtk than Timid Latios, 194 vs. 182 respectively. In addition, Modest Hydreigon is a common Hydreigon variant, more common than Modest Latios. Dragon Gem D Meteor from Modest Hydreigon will hit harder than Dragon Gem D Meteor from Timid Latios, assuming Max SAtk EVs and IVs for both.

Should Thundurus pretty much always run a Calm nature in the 2013 format? Which Hidden Power is preferable - Flying or Ice (or neither)? What about Thundurus-T (nature and Hidden Power)?

Does anyone really use Tornadus or Tornadus-T?
Thundurus doesn't necessary need to always run a Calm nature, however, it is useful for it to have such nature in order to spread paralysis and tank many Special Attacks, while a partner, should as Scrafty or Hitmontop, can Intimidate and threatens physical attacks. But, other natures, Bold, Modest, Timid, etc. can be used instead

IMO, I prefer HP Ice due to hitting Dragons and Landorus-T, which is now becoming a more common sight. However, Flying can be used to target Fighting-types, such as the annoying Scrafty, and Ludicolo.

Also, I rarely see Tornadus or Tornadus-T, due to losing its niche because of more bulkier Tailwind users, such as Zapdos. Although, with Tornadus-T, it'll be cool if it can be used more often for abusing Hurricanes and U-Turn Regenerator spam.

Which gem would be better for a Scizor set of Bullet Punch/Bug Bite/Acrobatics/Protect: Steel Gem or Flying Gem?
I'm currently running Flying Gem, but I was wondering if steel would be more efficient. After about nearly 200 battles with Flying Gem equipped...it's been pretty well. I mean, I can take out Fighting-types that foolishly stay in, and it's been great against Trick Room leads that have Hariyama, Scrafty, or Amoonguss. But lately I've considered maybe it would be better to make his main STAB more powerful. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I was thinking about this because Acrobatics has been mostly situational...it doesn't nearly get used as much as his STABs do

Which gem would be better for a Scizor set of Bullet Punch/Bug Bite/Acrobatics/Protect: Steel Gem or Flying Gem?
I'm currently running Flying Gem, but I was wondering if steel would be more efficient. After about nearly 200 battles with Flying Gem equipped...it's been pretty well. I mean, I can take out Fighting-types that foolishly stay in, and it's been great against Trick Room leads that have Hariyama, Scrafty, or Amoonguss. But lately I've considered maybe it would be better to make his main STAB more powerful. What do you guys think?

EDIT: I was thinking about this because Acrobatics has been mostly situational...it doesn't nearly get used as much as his STABs do
Well if you HAVE to use that set I'd say it's 50/50. Acrobatics get's it's power increased either way, and Bullet Punch being priority in all, making you more likely to us it while still having 110 Acrobatics. But in this case I'm leaning more towards flying gem due to your point about trick room. I still say 50/50.

Well if you HAVE to use that set I'd say it's 50/50. Acrobatics get's it's power increased either way, and Bullet Punch being priority in all, making you more likely to us it while still having 110 Acrobatics. But in this case I'm leaning more towards flying gem due to your point about trick room. I still say 50/50.
If he really wants to take down TR users, he could even use Bug Gem.

If he really wants to take down TR users, he could even use Bug Gem.
Well, against the (now somewhat uncommon) TR leads, I usually bring Cresselia along to shut TR off, so it can do a bit of SE damage with Psyshock, albeit with less power and surprise value. Not concerned about Scrafty in this respect, since I've only seen him in a TR lead once since VGC11.
Anyway...I just wanted to know which gem would be optimal in most cases.

I have seen a few Perish-trapping teams, and they can be very nasty! Usually paired with Jigglypuff to set up the Perish Song and support with Friend Guard/Screens. Gothitelle has Protect and Trick Room and then maybe Psychic and Substitute. Usually with a Sitrus Berry too. As bulky as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)