VGC Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Mark II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Guard stops fake out/sucker punch if you know they're gonna use it once you get trick room set up, it shouldn't be too much of a problem

For US Regionals, you can usually just show up with your DS and game and be ready to play. There will be a small registration process before the games actually start. You want to have a Play ID already created at www.pokemon.com but the staff running the regionals will usually help you out if you don't have one.

I don't know about US Nationals, other Nationals tournaments (UK, France, etc), Last Chance Qualifier or Worlds, though.
This actually answers the main question I was going to ask, thank you, but I do have one more. Looking through the FAQ on the pokemon site it talks about Champion tournaments and League tournaments. Do competing in these affect your qualification or rank for the VGC's? Is it encouraged to compete in them? Are these even a part of the VGC's? Since they sound like more local tournaments.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Quick Guard stops fake out/sucker punch if you know they're gonna use it once you get trick room set up, it shouldn't be too much of a problem
Caveat: Quick Guard is in the same priority bracket as Fake Out. Prankster Meowstic-M will always block priority moves (Prankster boosts Quick Guard), but other Quick Guard users will need to be faster.

It is played in person on the DS at Regionals around the country, Nationals, and Worlds.
Sorry a newb here and I dont really understand how this VGC work. I know it is a double battle competition but other than that I know nothing. So I guess by "played in person" means I need to go to a place in order to join this event or sumthing?

Thanks

Sorry a newb here and I dont really understand how this VGC work. I know it is a double battle competition but other than that I know nothing. So I guess by "played in person" means I need to go to a place in order to join this event or sumthing?

Thanks
That's exactly how it works. You fly or drive to the event (unless you're a lucky son-of-a-gun that lives nearby), register on the spot, and participate in the tournament. Not much to it really. nuggetbridge.com is a good place to go if you need info about how VGCs work.

Okay. Let's say that I've set up Safeguard on the previous turn (on my half of the field). Then let's say I used Swagger on one of my own Pokémon. Would my Pokémon still get the +2 Attack boost and still not get confused, or would both of the effects of Swagger get blocked entirely?

no idea wildshot srry :/.

hey i have a question: im just new here and i can't start a topic on vgc section can some1 tell me why? (for example: you need X amount of posts before starting a topic)

Last edited:

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Okay. Let's say that I've set up Safeguard on the previous turn (on my half of the field). Then let's say I used Swagger on one of my own Pokémon. Would my Pokémon still get the +2 Attack boost and still not get confused, or would both of the effects of Swagger get blocked entirely?
You would not be confused, and you would gain the attack boost.

What nature and IV spread would you guys use for Gourgeist? Planning to use one but I'm undecided on what stat focus in...:I
Can only give my opinion, but I'd run +def nature to combat the multitude of powerful physical attackers like 'Mence, Kanga, Mawhile, etc. Depends on your team though.

Edit: It already takes Electric attacks pretty well, and doesn't like fire or ice, which is another reason to run +defense.

Can only give my opinion, but I'd run +def nature to combat the multitude of powerful physical attackers like 'Mence, Kanga, Mawhile, etc. Depends on your team though.

Edit: It already takes Electric attacks pretty well, and doesn't like fire or ice, which is another reason to run +defense.
You're right, tried on showdown a +sp def one but it looked like wasted, and if I use a + atk one, then I might as well use Trevenant instead of him c: Thanks

I was thinking mega kanga as some sort of bulky supporter abusing seismic toss/helping hand. Thanks. I'll test it once pokebank comes around.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I was thinking mega kanga as some sort of bulky supporter abusing seismic toss/helping hand. Thanks. I'll test it once pokebank comes around.
Seismic Toss/Helping Hand Kangaskhan is illegal in VGC. Both moves are previous gen TM/tutor moves, and Kangaskhan is required to have been caught/hatched in Kalos.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
Oh yeah sorry you're right. I read somewhere you were able to use pokebank pokemon to breed, I guess that mixed me up. My apologies
You can use PokeBank Pokemon to breed, but the moves you want to use still need to be legal Gen 6 egg moves, because Pokemon need to be actually caught/hatched in Kalos to be legal.
Does anyone know the link to showdown's VGC 2014 Simulator Statistics?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/official-smogon-university-simulator-statistics-—-november-2013.3494159/unread

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone have a quick way to calculate a pokemon's speed at level 50?
Analyses list a Pokemon's speed with a neutral and positive nature with either 0 or 252 EVs. I just go on Pokemon Showdown and mess around with natures/EVs on there. Sprocket's method is faster though lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)