Resource VGC: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

What's the standard team right now?
There isn't really one standard, but the combination of Arcanine/Tapu Fini/Kartana is really common. Tapu Koko, Garchomp, Porygon2, Ninetales, and Snorlax are all fairly common partners for it. Trick Room teams with Hariyama/Porygon2/Araquanid/Mimikyu are also kinda common, Rain and Sun exist, and Celesteela/Marowak/Gastrodon/Porygon2 is still a thing.

What particularly relevant attacks can Clefairy survive with the most common spreads that are used on it?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have a simple Question. Can I use pokemon from past generation in VGC Tournaments? For example, I have a Arcanine perfect 6IV breeded in ORAS. I want Arcanine in my team for the next Febrary challenge I can use it or farm a new Arcanine?

Thanks!

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys, I have a simple Question. Can I use pokemon from past generation in VGC Tournaments? For example, I have a Arcanine perfect 6IV breeded in ORAS. I want Arcanine in my team for the next Febrary challenge I can use it or farm a new Arcanine?

Thanks!
VGC only allows Pokemon that have been caught/bred in Sun/Moon, so gonna need a new Arcanine.

Just had the quick match of my life. I got absolutely crushed.

Using Metagross/Garchomp/Tapu Fini/Porygon2/Vikavolt/Arcanine.

Opponent started with Pheromosa and Nihilego, and I figured my best counter to these particular pokemon were Metagross and Arcanine.

Doesn't really matter what I chose to do since Pheromosa (Special Atk) all out pummelling into my Metagross was a OHKO and so was Nihilego into Arcanine.

My next two pokemon, Porygon2 and Vikavolt come out and again, OHKO Focus Blast onto Porygon2 as well as from Nihilego into Vikavolt, not that this mattered.

Two questions -
1) Did I pick the right lead if you knew he was going to start with these two?
2) The one I am more curious about, how on earth did the All Out Pummelling OHKO Metagross? I'm checking damage calcs and it doesn't work. I have a 252HP/52 SpD Adamant Metagross

Opponent started with Pheromosa and Nihilego, and I figured my best counter to these particular pokemon were Metagross and Arcanine.

Doesn't really matter what I chose to do since Pheromosa (Special Atk) all out pummelling into my Metagross was a OHKO and so was Nihilego into Arcanine.

My next two pokemon, Porygon2 and Vikavolt come out and again, OHKO Focus Blast onto Porygon2 as well as from Nihilego into Vikavolt, not that this mattered.

Two questions -
2) The one I am more curious about, how on earth did the All Out Pummelling OHKO Metagross? I'm checking damage calcs and it doesn't work. I have a 252HP/52 SpD Adamant Metagross
This is what I get: 252+ SpA Pheromosa All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Metagross: 189-223 (101 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is Helping Hand Hariyama legal in the current vgc format? I was laddering with it and was told by my opponent that it was not viable. Apparently it's an egg move that can get passed on via Volbeat.

Is Helping Hand Hariyama legal in the current vgc format? I was laddering with it and was told by my opponent that it was not viable. Apparently it's an egg move that can get passed on via Volbeat.
If it can be bred to have the move in Sun/Moon, it is legal.

Well, there's a difference between legal and viable :P

It's an Egg Move, so Hariyama can be have it. The matter is finding room for it.

Two questions -
I think that Metagross was an understandable choice given Nihelgo. However Nihelgo outspeeds and KOs most Arcanine, and hitting Pheremosa SE doesn't really make a difference. A lot of Pheremosa run sash and it can't survive a neutral hit regardless. I didn't know she KO'd Metagross with Pummeling, but also yo couldn't have known it was a special variant either. You don't really have anything that wants to eat an attack from her though. Extremespeed + Bullet Punch might have been the play if you didn't mind losing Arcanine. P2 is out of the question since you know it can't take a hit from Pheremosa. I think Garchomp/Metagross would have been the play, followed by a Metagross switch into Vikavolt on the EQ. If Nihelgo/Pheremosa had HP Ice you would have lost regardless though.

I think that Metagross was an understandable choice given Nihelgo. However Nihelgo outspeeds and KOs most Arcanine, and hitting Pheremosa SE doesn't really make a difference. A lot of Pheremosa run sash and it can't survive a neutral hit regardless. I didn't know she KO'd Metagross with Pummeling, but also yo couldn't have known it was a special variant either. You don't really have anything that wants to eat an attack from her though. Extremespeed + Bullet Punch might have been the play if you didn't mind losing Arcanine. P2 is out of the question since you know it can't take a hit from Pheremosa. I think Garchomp/Metagross would have been the play, followed by a Metagross switch into Vikavolt on the EQ. If Nihelgo/Pheremosa had HP Ice you would have lost regardless though.
Yeah I've been thinking about it. Only two options I have both involve a Metagross lead. If i lead Arcanine then priority double into pheromosa, which would leave Metagross alive, or i lead porygon and i either get rid Nihilego or i get trick room up, at the cost of one pokemon and chip damage to the other

Obviously he can swap out nihilego in the second option so it's not ideal for me. Priority double is probably the better play

What are the most common choice-scarfed revenge killers in VGC right now?
Mons which commonly run scarf include Garchomp, Tapu Lele, Porygon-Z, and Kartana, but their roles are rather different since the idea of a "revenge killer" doesn't really exist in VGC the way it does in singles metas.

HP Fire is also fairly common on Koko, since it naturally outspeeds Kartana and OHKOes AV variants.
Only HP Fire Lele I have seen carried scarf so it could outspeed and revenge kill Kartana.

Otherwise I think those are the only two HP sets run by Tapu

Yeah I know that in rain teams Golduck is quite superior to it, but I was watching for a non-standard rain sweeper for the surprise effect.
Thx nevertheless ;)

Yeah I know that in rain teams Golduck is quite superior to it, but I was watching for a non-standard rain sweeper for the surprise effect.
Thx nevertheless ;)
if it wasn't vgc id say u could have it have power up punch wait a min ill look at its moves and make a set

Thx nevertheless ;)
Poliwrath@ normalium Z
252 Att/252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Belly Drum
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Waterfall
try that out then
EDIT: z splash can also be used

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)