1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Invites for Global Battle Union (GBU) Players

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Magicxgame, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Magicxgame

Magicxgame

An article describing Black/White's online features has been released. Near the end of the article, there was one interesting tidbit:

http://www.filb.de/1478
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/114/1146574p1.html

This is pretty vague, and doesn't state if it's just an invite or a paid trip. Still, it's nice for those that can't attend regionals or need a second chance.
  2. mattj

mattj blatant Nintendo fanboy

How on earth would that work. The top players could be from anywhere in the World.
  3. Mosquito

Mosquito

Watch someone be a troll and set up their Pokemon Club account to be New Zealand :P I think you need to put some contact info on your Pokemon Club account
  4. cosmicexplorer

cosmicexplorer pewpewpew
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

...what is the GBU?
  5. Darkpenguin67

Darkpenguin67

Global Battle Union
  6. Firestorm

Firestorm I did my best, I have no regrets!
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Why would that be a problem? They could either restrict it or just fly them to the national of their choice.
  7. BlueCookies

BlueCookies April Fools 2009 Participant
    is a VGC 2012 Masters World Champion

don't worry there's an airport in des moines
  8. Zog

Zog

Woooh, a reason to play online! If I don't win the UK nationals this year, will be giving it a go.
  9. mattj

Actually, this system would be stupidly easy to manipulate. I don't know if anybody else has been experiencing this, but when I win, at LEAST 50% of the time I get disconnected and the win doesn't count. My ratio is only barely over 50 / 50 because of this. If I understand how ranking works, someone could easily set up an account, and only let the wins count.
  10. bharmalm

bharmalm

this could help. if i have one of my usual fails and screw up.....
  11. Plusle

Plusle

Just disconnect if you lose.
  12. Havak

Havak I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
    is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Hopefully disconnections would result in a loss (even if down to technical difficulties) and any kind of cheating would be easily prevented. I think it might be too hard for it to be accurate enough, but we'll see how it goes.
  13. Solace

Solace darling i'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Seems impractical to me, because as mattj said you can just D/C if you lose, and it wont get added to your win/loss record.

And even if they did something where D/Cs count automatically as a loss, then even people facing technical difficulties will be penalized. I know times where Nintendo's Wifi has been garbage and gone down, if two people begin a battle they'll both get losses added to their record for Nintendo's own problems.

Of course, this gives an extra incentive to play on Wi-fi, but it seems like any person who abuses the system can just make themselves seem good enough to get an invite.
  14. BlueCookies

BlueCookies April Fools 2009 Participant
    is a VGC 2012 Masters World Champion

Technical difficulties have already screwed over some people in the real VGCs, what makes this any different. If they want to give out invites based on online rankings they'll have to make DC's count as a loss
  15. drug_duck

drug_duck

But they don't. This is the Global Link's random WiFi rated mode and it's completely retarded to give out invites to Nationals based on rating because of two major problems screwing up the whole system:

1. Disconnects. This has been debated here but once again, I can confirm that disconnects don't count as a loss which makes the whole thing completely retarded.

2. You can use anything in random WiFi, it's basically every Poké from Gen 1-5 without the cover ubers and the event ubers so this does not have any relation to the VGC events where players have to deal with a restricted list of Pokémon.

This is retarded.:jump:
  16. mattj

You know, since this is based off of one small paragraph of text, I really do think we're missing something important here.
  17. PungentFruit

PungentFruit

IGN also states "An invitation to a regional". i have no clue what that could possibly mean even though anyone can enter a regional or can they...? Maybe you need some special access or something. Who knows?
  18. dtrain

dtrain

Means you get to cut the line at regionals!/jk

Also I think you guys should take mattj's advice and not jump to conclusions. Lets see where this goes. Also just wanted to hear what you guys think about medals/trophies. I play the Pokemon tcg and read they are switching over to medals from trophies for their state tournaments. Would you guys care? I'd personally would rather take the glass. I guess cause I don't really want to be a show off and wear my medal in front of my opponent.
  19. mattj

flash that bling
  20. Atlas

Atlas I'm the Mary!
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

it said invitations, not necessarily paid
  21. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder

In a way I think this will be kindof cool..........I mean no one with 255 ev's in all stats is going to be participating unilike at regionals!
  22. Aqueos

Aqueos

Uhhh yeah. Someone buy and mail me a copy of white, give me some good stuff, and we'll see who I can kill.
    Jk but seriously, some person is going to stay up nights on end for this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)