VGC Junior Wartstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a day. Yesterday (2010-05-29) is a say I will always remember. It was astonishing how fun it was. Great experience. I went to the Dallas 2010 VGC tournament, and had some real battling against people with n00b strategy and intense and unexpected strategy. Now, to put a good story in motion.

Wednesday

I went downstairs to an intense struggle that was about to unfold. My dad and mom were watching a baseball game on the TV and were completely immersed. It was time to strike. I had been planning for days on trying to convince my dad to bring me to the VGC. I had a baseball practice the day of, so that sucked. I had been training for about 2 months on my team. I edged down the stairs, and confronted my dad. He was opposed to the idea. I stayed there for an hour, trying to get myself a way to the VGC. I weared him down enough to say he'd sleep over it. Two days later, I asked him what his decision is. The answer is obvious considering I'm writing this War story.

Friday

I'm getting ready for the VGC. I set my alarm for 6:00 AM, get my team sheet filled out, get proof of my age and put my clothes and everything else I need in a pile by my bed. I'm so excited, I have trouble sleeping. My parents are working on my room. I dream about the championship. Strange thing is, I have a part of the dream where I win the Senior (I compete in junior) and make out with a girl I like. Weird dream. Now here is my team.

Dialga (Kronos) @ Lum Berry
Quiet / Pressure
252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
Trick Room
Flamethrower
Draco Meteor
Protect

Smeargle (Paint.net) @ Sitrus Berry
Relaxed / Own Tempo
200 HP, 200 Dfnc, 110 SpD
Dark Void
Follow Me
Protect
Fake Out

Shuckle (Granite) @ Focus Sash
Relaxed / Sturdy
252 HP, 200 SpD, 60 Dfnc
Protect
Gyro Ball
Earthquake
Power Trick

Zapdos (Phoenix) @ Macho Brace
Quiet / Pressure
252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 Dfnc
Protect
Thunderbolt
Heat Wave
Hidden Power Ice

Saturday

Well, this is it. I get dressed, grab my DSi and game card, and head down for breakfast. And it was cereal. Way to get me protein for my brain dad.
He got me a banana. I get in the car and we begin the hour long drive. I'm getting ready mentally to have some good battles.

When we finally get there, we get in line. I have a battle with a n00b with a highest level Pokémon at level 42. I beat his ass without problems. When the line starts to build up, I start to be glad I came early. By the time the doors to the battle area opens up, I'm really anxious. When we get in the registration line, I get my team sheet turned in, get a score card, an awesome collector’s bag, and my number; I'm all set for battle. I check my NationalDex and find my number is 197, or Umbreon. Once I get my close to the battle line, something makes me star struck. Marriland or Devin is a referee wearing a cowboy hat with PokeWalkers all over it.

I get shoved back into reality when the announcer says that the line will start moving and battles will begin. The guy I killed before gets paired with someone beside me.

Battle 1:
I play someone with one lead I don't remember, and a golem. I use my normal strategy and 3-0 him. I let Smeargle use Follow Me, just to let him feel good about taking one poke down.
Battle 2:
I battle some kid named Colton and beat him. Not really anything special. Just another Uber user with no strategy.
Battle 3:
I battle a really young kid who thinks he's the best ever. He has a Torterra and Typhlosion lead, which I take down without issues. I let him take down Dialga, just so he won't cry. He looked really sad that I beat him, but w/e.
Battle 4:
Another Uber user with no strategy. He actually gets me down without me intentionally doing it. I 2-0 him. It was sadly the best battle before the finals. I go to the finalist lounge and kick back. I meet a really cool guy named Christian. Me and him played MarioKartDS with a lot of other people in the finals. We talk strategy and get really hyped for the battles. When we find overall there are 18 finalist, things get tricky. The announcer shuffles 14 electric TCG cards and 4 Psychic cards. Anyone who gets electric automatically gets an invite for the Nationals. Anyone who got Psychic had to win a battle. Of course I got Psychic.
I battle a kid named Mau, about 7/8.
Battle 5:
Mau leads with a Dialga and Palkia. I go for a Fake out on Dialga and use TR with my Dialga. His Draco Meteor with Palkia near KO's me, but I hang on. Next turn I Draco Meteor Palkia and DarkVoid on Dialga and Palkia. Palk dies with Draco and I switch away from his next pokemon while FollowMe protects Shuckle. I Power Trick and begin my sweep. I win the match 3-0.
Battle 6:
I'm in the top 16. No matter what, I get an invite. I'm battling Christian, the guy I talked strategy with. He knows all about my Power Trick Shuckle. We start our battle after everyone else finishes theirs. I shake his hand and say, "Let’s make it a good one." I remember his lead clearly. It was Staraptor (weird right?) and Kyogre. Here is the battle play by play. I saved it.
Turn 1:
Smeargle uses Fake out on Kyogre
Staraptor uses Close Combat on Dialga (does around half, 3HKO range)
Dialga uses Trick Room.
Turn 2:
Smeargle DarkVoids, and it hits Kyogre.
Staraptor uses CloseCombat on Dialga(It's in the red zone)
Kyogre uses HydroPump on I don't know who. (misses)
I use DracoMeteor, which misses, on Kyogre.
Turn 3:
Smeargle DarkVoids and Staraptor falls asleep. (I needed Dialga to survive)
Dialga Draco Meteors Kyogre(crit) and almost OHKO it.
Turn 4:
Dialga hits Kyogre with Draco Meteor and it faints.
I switch in Shuckle.
Turn 5:
He sends out Garchomp.
Dialga uses Protect
Garchomp uses Protect.
Staraptor wakes up.
Staraptor uses CloseCombat on Dialga. (protected)
Shuckle uses Power Trick.
Turn 6:
TrickRoom wears down.
I switch Dialga for Zapdos.
Shuckle Protects.
Staraptor uses Quick Attack on Shuckle. (protects)
Garchomp uses Earthquake. (Everyone is protected one way or the other)
Turn 7:
Shuckle switches for Smeargle.
Staraptor uses Quick Attack on Smeargle.
Garchomp uses Earthquake.
Smeargle faints.
Zapdos uses Thunderbolt on Staraptor, bringing it to its Focus Sash.
Turn 8:
Staraptor uses Endeavour on Zapdos.
Garchomp uses Earthquake on Shuckle, not doing much.
Zapdos uses HP Ice on Garchomp.
Shuckle uses GyroBall on Staraptor
Both pokemon faint.
Turn 9:
He sends out Zapdos.
My Zapdos uses Protect
Foes Zapdos uses Discharge.
Shuckle gets paralyzed, and it looks like it might take me down next turn.
Shuckle uses Power Trick.
Turn 10:
Foes Zapdos uses Discharge.
My Zapdos faints.
Shuckle gets paralyzed.
Turn 11:
Dialga comes in with 28 HP.
Zapdos uses Discharge.
Shuckle surviving with about 10 HP.
Dialga survives with exactly 1 HP.
Dialga use Draco Meteor, OHKOing Zapdos for the match!
2-0 Win!

Battle 7:
I battle another Uber n00b who happened to just be ok. My normal team completely kills him. 3-0.

Battle 8:
I battle a guy named Aaron. Simply put, he hated Smeargles guts. I kept DarkVoiding his Mewtwo and Kyogre I then came in with my standard strategy. I remember that he was about to facepalm when I kept DVing. The only strange thing that happened was he used Protect on his Weavile, like 4 times STRAIGHT! But yeah, gg. 3-0

Battle 9:
I was a fan favorite. People were chanting my name over my 9 year old opponent. They loved how I won with strategy over brute offence in all my battles. They were chanting my name. Cedric, Cedric, Cedric. And the most exciting thing, Marriland talked to me that battle. I said I was a fan of him and his site and he said that he was now a fan of my battling. That inspired me to win. Then it began. Unfortunately, I didn't save this. But when I get the actual footage for all of this, I'll show it.

He starts off with Palkia and Azelf. I FakeOut Azelf, and Palkia is helpless to beat Dialga. I Trick Room. He wonders out loud what it does, and I wasn't about to tell him. I DarkVoid and Draco Meteor Palkia. Palk barely holds on. I Protect with Smeargle and Draco Meteor from Dialga misses Palkia. I use Follow Me with Smeargle and Draco Meteor Palkia for a miss AGAIN! Azelf wakes up and Explodes in my face. I survive with both of my pokemon, and he’s down 4-2. He sends in a Shiny Ludicolo and a shiny Kyogre. Marriland and the announcer guy are discussing what we are doing and how my Smeargle knows all these moves. He explains how rare shinnies are, and I suspect hacking, but he past hacks checks, so w/e. I switch out Dialga for Shuckle and I switch in Zapdos for Smeargle. I come in and take the double surf with ease. Shuckle's at half HP and I have free turn for Power Trick. Ice Beam from Kyogre flies at Shuckle and gets a CRIT! Shuckle dies. I send in Smeargle while Zapdos hits Kyogre with Thunderbolt and Kyogre gets paralyzed. Ludicolo hits Zapdos with IceBeam and it survives! What a tank. I'm in the Red zone. I use protect as TR next turn will wound down. FakeOut comes at Ludicolo from Smeargle. IceBeam from Kyogre come to Zapdos while protected. Trick Room dies, and I am faster. I Thunderbolt Kyogre for the kill, and FollowMe with Smeargle to take a Beam. I'm at half HP with it, and I have a low HP Dialga. Bad situation. I FollowMe with Smeargle, don't die, but get frozen. I come in with a Thunderbolt, almost KO, and the next turn I out speed and KO it. I'm the Dallas Regional Junior Champion! The announcer takes my hand, raises it up and says my name after "this year’s regional junior champion."

Then I get a DSi, an epic trophy, and I get interviewed by two people.

And for the final cherry, I wear Marriland's cowboy hat in a picture with him!!!!! When I woke up this morning, I thought it was a dream. Nope. I'm going to the Nationals. I hope it will be fun.

Now heres a video of some interviews.
http://www.youtube.com/v/N3-g6y0Sbrc

See you there! I go every year for the tcg Nationals ,but congrants on winning and good luck at Nats!

Updated with Youtube video with an interview at the juniors.
I watched it. You seem like by far the most intelligent one there. Your team reflects it too. It's nice to see a young player using Trick Room. My younger siblings (aged 8 and 7) can't remember each Pokemon's speed stat, so they can't use it to its full potential. Nice work winning the tournament and great warstory. I liked how you put in several pictures. I'll see you at Nationals, even though we won't be battling of course.

Though I find it cheap to use such lead partners (especially Smeargle, in fact ^^).
But, well, I suppose a good player has to think about countering such strategy, without ruining his own. But that's far from simple :P.

Congrats anyway, you deserve the win ^^.

Dimsun

VGC 2012 Seniors Champion
Your top 4 opponent, Aaron, was Immabe123 from Friendcodes.com. He was second at last years Dallas VGC... :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)