VGC Letters (You Should Read This)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Letters are the newest C&C program here on Smogon. This is a pretty new project, but it requires lots of manpower from our wonderful VGC members. VGC letters are casual pieces written about just about anything VGC related. We'll have some specific ideas in mind in the future, but writing about Fall Regionals is definitely an excellent topic to start with. They're fun and meant to be helpful while also encouraging people to participate in the forums here. You don't even have to be an incredibly experienced player — recent tutees from the Battling 101 program can even write about how they feel they've improved!

No need to have rocked Regionals or nabbed Nationals to write a letter. As long as you've got an idea you can write it up and send it into me (Solace) and it may be put up on our brand new VGC hub! Please note that it's a work in progress, but completing these letters will be a great help! On top of this, you may be able to earn yourself a nice Pre-Contributor badge (
) or even a Contributor badge (
) for writing letters.

Feel free to comment in the thread with any ideas you might have. We're looking for some good ideas to kick off the program!

If you've got an even bigger idea that should go on a more main part of the site rather than just the VGC hub, be sure to check out the letters subforum to see how to get that approved!

I can easily see myself doing one of these, I'll have to check my notes from Fall Regs. Great idea here!

Would a general report on atmosphere, professor service, and other "friend battles" before the tournament be sufficient?

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interesting, if I didn't feel hatred towards me I wouldn't hesitate at all. I can easily see myself doing one of these, I'll have to check my notes from Fall Regs. Great idea here!

Would a general report on atmosphere, professor service, and other "friend battles" before the tournament be sufficient?
Don't feel like you're not welcome! We're looking for any kind of writer, but if you don't feel confident in what you're going to write just PM it over to me and I can give it a look over and see if it's going in the right direction.

I like the idea of the atmosphere and what it's like to go to a VGC event kind of thing, it seems like a good start for an article. :)

Letter IMO are an awesome edition to Smogon that can really fill in some spaces where we can get more specific in. VGC is a area that would benefit greatly from the letters project.

Though what I am wondering is if GBU would fit into this. GBU is a topic not very focused or explored by Smogon. I think letters would be a great way in progress of having GBU be promulgated more. Hopefully this is not just another pipe dream of mine for GBU to being involved in C&C work.

BattleStar said:
Though what I am wondering is if GBU would fit into this. GBU is a topic not very focused or explored by Smogon. I think letters would be a great way in progress of having GBU be promulgated more. Hopefully this is not just another pipe dream of mine for GBU to being involved in C&C work.
I completely agree. The Seasonal Friendlies seem like they could fit into this nicely.

Solace

royal flush
Letter IMO are an awesome edition to Smogon that can really fill in some spaces where we can get more specific in. VGC is a area that would benefit greatly from the letters project.

GBU letters would definitely fit under this! If you want to write one, feel free to.

I got interested in this and decided to write one about 'How to be Creative, or, Designing Effective Surprises' (pending title). It's in beta form, but I'll PM it to you in a little bit to see what you think. I feel it would be a useful topic for players looking to get a good start without getting ahead of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)