VGC Lyon: A frenchy's short Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, from what point should I start. Well, with the begining I suppose ^^.

- The Before-VGC -

Me and my best friend decided a month ago that we should absolutely participate to this tournament, since we thought we had our chance. We live in a small remote city not so fare from Paris, and we knew from the start that even going to Lyon, far in the south, would be a true pain. And indeed it was.
I personally had to pay almost 150€ overall in order to have the way in and out lyon secured, so... Whatever, I was saying to myself.

But the trip was not to be simple. Indeed, we had to leave Paris at 22.00, to arrive in Lyon in the middle of the night, at exactly 00.04. What is next, you ask ? Well, a 3 hour travel by feet troughout the city, straight forward our goal, the Centre des Congrès. In other words, once we reached our destination, we were.... like..... Dead walking people !

And that's here, near the entrance, that we met our first potential challenger and friend, Mister Mezuki~, in the deep night. The contact between us has not been easy, since he was spanish, and, like he said himself, his English was poor ! Damn I did not remember anything from my spanish classes, few years ago... lol. So we spent the night trying to understand each other, on matters such as RNGing, global strategy view,... Well, you know, trying to collect info before the championship !! hahaa

- The VGC Itself -

The first other challengers arrived at 6.00 more less. And what challengers. A few kids, with their beloved father or mother accompanying them to their "mother f***ing Pokemon competition" (I suppose they thought that way). That was not what we expected at first, but well, Seniors had to wait until 13.30 to battle, so that was understandable. With my friend we supported some kids, giving them pieces of advice for the tournament so they could do better than with their beloved "Flametrower-firecircle-Eruption" set. For a moment, we were gods... Really small gods, yeah, but still !

The time to come in went quicly enough, even if, with a white night under my eyes, I was quite tired, especially because of the cold. But, once inside, the fun could begin. We watched a few Junior matchs, insidely laughing at the moves some kids were throwing at each other. Quite a funny part of the day, I must say !
Then came the shame time... the shame time for all those Seniors that wanted to compete at any price, at any behaviour. I explain:

The Finalists junior were about to be rewarded. An important moment in the day. But, exept a few parents, no one got to see that.Why ? Because the Seniors were all packed in the waiting line for their subscription, 1 hour before it was opened... An understanable behaviour... In the case of the people here being too many, which was absolutely not the case ! At worst, in the overall room, there have must been maximum 150 persons. So... The dead line being 256 players... Why the f** were they waiting like animals ignoring the reward ceremony !!... that being said... That's said !

And the main Event could begin. There is my team:

Weavile @ Focus Sash
Jolly, 252 Atk 252 Spd

Fake Out
Taunt
Low Kick
Ice Punch

My main way of dealing with various lead threats, doing some damage when it can, and preventing anoying things like trickroom, willowisp, reflect,...

Palkia @ Haban Berry
Timid, 252 Sp Atk 252 Spd
Thunder
Spatio Rift
Protect
Flamethrower

My standard sweeper that can take advantage of any meteo except hail.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Adamant, 252 Atk 252 HP
Fake Out
Mach Punch
Aerial Ace
Sucker Punch

An All-Out version of the classic Hitmontop that was quite present in this VGC. Aerial Ace is really handy, against Ludicolo, Toxicroak, and other Hitmontops.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Naive, 252 Sp Atk 252 Spd
Water Spout
Thunder
Ice Beam
Signal Beam

A finisher like no others. Signal beam, I did not have the time to use it, but I knew it could be very helpful.

Round One: Vs Tom

I can only remember of his leads, which were Vaporeon and Kyogre. A mixed player, we could say. I knew from the Vaporeon that this player would not be too hard to beat, but he fought until the end, simply being overwhelmed by my basic, but efficient strategy. GG man, and sorry you could not reach the second zone. I hope you will do better next year, really.

Round Two: VS Raphael

At the moment I saw his leads, I knew that I was in for a very tough battle. Ambipom and Smeargle. Two Fake Outters, a possible DV... A mess to deal with ! I don't remember how; but I dealt quite well with that, and i had the luck to Freez his Giratina, while one of my pokemon was still asleep. It Defroze quite quicly, however, but the battle was about to end. I managed to keep my Kyogre safe until the very end, water spouting his dying Giratina and his Mewtow to end the match. A really close one.

Round Three: VS Andres

And that's, already, where my journey was about to end. When I saw his Weavile coming as a lead, I knew that I was screwd. Mine didn't have a perfect Speed IV (around 27 I think) and from the look of the man, I supposed that he had a perfect Speed stat. So I got Fake Outed, and miss my attack on his Rayquaza beacause it protected. A doomed turn. We spent a few turns like that, dodging and lessening the other's health. And there comes the Ultimate failure. My Palkia was the last to attack, and still had more than 50% health, while my Weavile was to his Sash. I planned a Spatio Rift on Rayquaza, since he was theorically unable to Protect this turn... that WOULD HAVE OHKO it... If it hadn't faiiiiiiiiiled !!!! 95%, God damn it !!! I screwd this moment so much since then... a great great unlucky moment.
The rest of the battle went with me spammed by Extremspeed of this godamn-should-be-dead-Rayquaza, and merely killing it with my last Mach Punch, which killed me like a last act of honor with the recoil of Life Orb.

I did not expect to win anything at this tournament. It was my first one, and I knew that there were gonna be some pros. But.... I deeply regret the fact that I lost to a failed Spatio Rift. Cannot forget that. Never. Because once I saw the last team member of Andres' Pokemons, Scizor, I knew I could have water spouted him to death without a problem. I watched and watched the video of my battle: this Spatio Rift meant Victory for me, without any doubt.

Still, I had a very good time at this VGC, meeting people, talking about competitive pokemon and being understood (!!),... However I am surprised of how hard unluckyness striked us my friend and me this day.
Because, yes, my best friend also got beaten during his third match, which opposed him to Albert, a famous spanish player, I think. Albert should have lost, he was screwd, his Giratina being paralized and under 5% health. But he had a CH on my friend's full health Kyogre... which killed it with no mercy, just before the moment it should have been killed itself by a last Thunder. Luck was not with us this day.

And so ends my first Warstory. Hope it will be enjoyable enough to read ^^. Good Game everyone !!

Glad you enjoyed the reading ^^. I really hope I will have more luck next year, because this year sucked so much ! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)