VGC Newbie with Rain Hyper Offence

First off, I’m relatively new to competitive battling. I’ve gathered opinions and made a team, but I’ve never actually been to a VGC tournament.
On to the aforementioned team, it is a hyper-offense rain team, in which the strategy is, more or less, KO those sweepers before they have a chance to do much damage. I have Toxicroak and (maybe) Metagross that serve as walls that wear down the bulkier Pokemon like Cresselia, but something with Rage Powder, maybe Amoongus or even Volcarona, might serve better as shielding my glass cannons.

Team Preview
or...

Politoed @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Surf
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Helping Hand

My ideal starter, but often I have to switch in to him to win weather wars. I Surf to proc Absorb Bulb on Ludicolo, Ice Beam for coverage. Protect is a must in doubles for nearly all pokemon. Wacan Berry is the best item for Politoad (since leftovers is taken up by Metagross/Scizor) to give politoad a chance against Zapdos and Thundurus and do some damage back with Ice Beam. Helping Hand is nice new toy of Politoads, and most of the time the boost to a partner (preferably Thundurus) with equal or exceed the damage Politoad will be able to do.

Ludicolo @ Absorb Bulb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam

This guy is one of my two Swift Swimmers, which is legal in VCG. Absorb Bulb is a nice S. Atk boost with Politoad, fake out is nice in doubles, and Scald and Giga Drain are my dual stabs that can pretty much trample everything in VCG. Took out Protect for Ice Beam, since Protect isn't used much on him when he leads, and the coverage is very nice.

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -S.Atk)
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Protect
Toxicroak is a great rain staple. Constant healing from Dry Skin, Black Sludge, and Drain Punch, and Toxicroak is very hard to kill. Fake out for flinching a threat, and Sucker Punch for priority. Toxicroak mostly serves as a counter to other rain teams and sandstorm teams, though I would have to win the weather war.

Kingdra @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Muddy Water
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Hidden Power: Electric

Kingdra is one of my best sweepers. Less survivability than Ludicolo, but he hits harder and hits more things. Thus I don’t switch into him and am more or less forced to wait for one of my pokemon to die if I expect Kingdra to survive more than one turn. Muddy Water is handy in that it doesn't hurt my partner, and Hidden Power for coverage. Draco Meteor for when I think I have a good chance to one shot something before it can go (which is easier with Scizor Bullet Punch) I often end up having him out at the end of the game to sweep up what Ludicolo have left behind. A problem I have with double swift swim is that they hit hard, but if rain goes away, or trick room goes up, they don't help much at all.

Thundurus-T @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder

Thundurus-T is a new threat that probably has the potential to hit the hardest out of all the available doubles pokemon. The most popular way to use Thundurus is the Choice Scarf variant, but Choice Specs + Helping Hand + Thunder STAB = one shot, nearly. HP Ice for coverage, Thunderbolt for a secondary stab for if rain goes down, and Dark Pulse for Cresselia. I think I should put something else here, but I don't really know what. The only thing I can think of if Focus Blast, but the accuracy drop is enormous, and you most likely won't have a chance to do it again.

Scizor @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -S.Atk)
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Protect
- Superpower / Brick Break

Scizor is pretty good at doubles, his prowess in priority is unmatched. I'm going for the bulkier variant, since I have enough super-fast sweepers regardless. Bullet Punch, of course, for that fabled 138 base power priority. Bug Bite for a nice, strong secondary stab and stealing those annoying Chople and Sitrus Berries. Protect is Protect. The last slot for a fighting move, Brick Break doesn’t hurt me and can typically kill a Chople Berry-less Tyranitar, but Super Power has more overall uses.

or...

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Rock Slide

And finally Metagross. This guy rips through hail teams and pretty much everything else, whilst doing really well against Trick Room teams, which really hurt all of my pokemon. Bullet Punch is priority, which is always nice, and can take out most people below 20% health. Meteor Mash hits really hard, and Rock Slide, since so many things are weak to it and no-one else on my team knows it. Earthquake is nice though, for the same reasons, but it hurts my partners.
I can’t decide between these two steels. I’m leaning towards Scizor for Bug coverage, but I don’t know, the bulk on Metagross is great.

Thank you for reading, please give advice.​

Hi! Looks like standard rain, which unless your in juniors usually doesn't cut it in official events, due to everyone knowing what's gonna come of it.

First big things that jump at me is:

Scizor, set doesn't work. Superpower cripples it, basically forcing a switch.

I suggest.
@ Steel Gem
Trait: Technician
Nature: Adamant
Ev: 172 HP/252 Atk/84 Speed

Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Swords Dance
Protect

Standard Tron Scizor. Swords Dance is an excellent move, and can win you a lot of games if played correctly, usually during a high chance of opponent's switching, or your other pokemon completely covering it should it be used, but it works like the devil if successful. Steel Gem Bullet Punch is so helpful in getting those KO's and basically the moves chosen work real well in covering STAB's and great in conjunction with Swords Dance.

Tyranitar will rip through your Thundurus-T faster than you can say "Polo!". So pair it up with Scizor, or Toxicroak.

I don't really feel Toxicroak works well with this team. I think intimidate Top will work much better, lowering attack, ans till giving you opt for Sucker Punch.
@Sitrus Berry/Fight Gem
Trait: Intimidate
Nature: Adamant
Ev: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Speed .or. if Fight Gem 252 Atk/252 HP/4 Speed

Fake Out
Close Combat
Sucker Punch/Stone Edge
Detect

Basically standard Top. Works better than croak due to better bulk, and Toxicroak's defenses won't allow it to last long even with HP restoration. =/

I'm not going to change anything else, because it seems like it can succeed, just those few things, and I don't want to change your team much, to something like Rain Room, which get's more complex. Let me know how that works, post a few PS! battles here, and I'll let you know any other things I'd comment on! Good luck, and have fun playing VGC, the greatest Olympic sport!!

Thank you for responding, I'll play around with the Hitmontop. I'm unsure of Swords Dance in doubles, cause Scizor typically won't live long enough to make very effective use of it, but I don't know.
Also, how good is Trick Room Rain? It seems like it would require a lot of set up.

Well it has to be set up correctly and MUST have proper support, I've never done one so I don't want to give you any advice that can potentially point you in the wrong direction.

Swords Dance is good, because switches happen, it only takes 1 bullet punch or something else with Swords Dance support to do something catastrophic to an opposing team. So without question, Swords Dance > Superpower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)