1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

VGC Team Help.

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Faoláin, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Faoláin

Faoláin

I need to know if my team is viable. More or less - Rate my Team. This is my pokemon team I created on showdown. Let me know what you think. :)

Alakazam-Mega (M) @ Alakazite
    Ability: Trace
    Level: 50
    EVs: 237 HP / 252 SAtk / 19 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Psychic
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Shadow Ball
    - Protect

Honchkrow (M) @ Choice Band
    Ability: Super Luck
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Night Slash
    - Steel Wing
    - Pursuit

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 76 HP / 152 Def / 144 SAtk / 136 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge
    - Rage Powder
    - Spore

Kingdra (M) @ Weakness Policy
    Ability: Sniper
    EVs: 36 HP / 16 Def / 188 SAtk / 16 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Scald
    - Signal Beam
    - Protect

Pyroar (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Unnerve
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Hyper Voice
    - Overheat
    - Protect
    - Sunny Day

Zangoose (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Toxic Boost
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Crush Claw
    - Close Combat
    - Swords Dance
    - Quick Guard
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  2. Faoláin

Faoláin

3. Chipndip

Chipndip

In all honesty, I made an account for the sole purpose of helping you here. Not trying to rain on your parade, but this is awful. You need to think "What is the purpose of this pokemon?", "How does it work with the rest of my team?", "Is it doing work consistently or am I just pretending it is?", and "Are there better options?" when making a VGC team. Now...

Zangoose: Why? It doesn't have Protect, but it's squishy beyond reason + it's slower than just about every dragon in the game. Even if you're trying to play into its hidden ability, it's not worth it. It'd be better to just use a Conkledurr if you're going for this. Still, Quick Guard's awesome and you probably like it. I would suggest either going for someone with Guts or going for another Quick Guard option. Unlike Wigglytuff, there's no real redeeming values this thing has that others don't already have + more.

Honchkrow: Why would you Choice Band yourself into Pursuit? If you honestly HAVE to use this thing, the main move you'll end up using is Sucker Punch. Still, this pokemon isn't that viable in VGC 2014. Get a Talonflame instead. Easier to use. Better output. Not sure what Honchkrow does that Talonflame don't, but it's not "winning the match" as far as I'm concerned. >_>

Alakazam: This is the worst mega in VGC 2014, let alone flat doubles in general. Bodied by nearly any Sucker Punch in the game with ease + any Talonflame in the game + any other physical attack in the game + its Psychic-typing leaves it with few super-effective options when using STAB moves (Psychic for the most part), denying it of what would be some SERIOUS OHKO potential. I mean, it still can OHKO stuff...just not the things you'd urgently want to OHKO with a super effective move. Get yourself ANY OTHER MEGA.

Amoongus: You put way too much in Sp.Atk. It needs max health, and I would also suggest a good deal in defense to fight Kanga with, so I'd say Bold nature, but Calm is ok too. Also, Sludge? No Sludge Bomb? Regardless, if you want both STAB options, you need to sacrifice either Spore or Rage Powder. Otherwise, stick to Giga Drain/Spore/Rage Powder/Protect.

Kingdra: Where the hell is Ice Beam? Remove Signal Beam and put in Ice Beam. Not sure if this is the type of thing to run a Weakness Policy. It'd normally be bombarded by Draco Meteor or gleamed by Choice Specs Gardevoir. If you can run calcs to make it survive some super effective hits, that'd be swell, but I'm gonna advise to immediately remove that thing. Also, don't play into its speed so blindly. You're not going fast without Swift Swim, so just put enough speed to guarantee that you'll outspeed concerns that you may not be able to outspeed. Like Gardevoir. If you don't need max speed to outspeed the fastest Gardevoir, then don't fully invest in speed. Then you can prep it up with a Scald/Hydro Pump and have someone faster finish it off.

Pyroar: Why are you using Sunny Day? Breed this for Hidden Power Ice or don't bother using Pyroar.

In all, I'd give this a 2/10. It just looks like you took a wonky Smogon-Singles team and slapped it into this. The synergy's awful and it isn't relevant to the meta in the slightest. People can be new to VGC and doubles in general, true, but some of the choices here are extremely faulty, even with that notion. I suggest you go to NuggetBridge.com, copy n' paste a team from there, use it to get some knowledge and experience in the format, and then make your own team from there.
    lucariojr likes this.
  4. Faoláin

Faoláin

I appreciate the help Chipndip. To be honest, I have only started battling in Generation 6 - even though I have been playing since Generation 3 - but then again that was in-game play like Elite 4s and what not which is completely different than competitive play.

When I thought of trying to get into competitive battling I did well in singles which was not that difficult to find a niche with some of my favorite pokemon and have a decent win %.

I have been trying to get into doubles and vgc but that is way harder than I expected and I have been trying to find a decent type with some of my favorite pokemon - without using a high statistical team that has been in the tops vgc tournaments.

I like the fact that you were stern and honest in all categories. I will look back at your comments and attempt to put another team together. /bow.
  5. Chipndip

Chipndip

No probs, man. In all honesty, ever since that Verlisify shiz, I've been getting more stern about giving advice than ever before. I just don't want people falling for his "Pokemon anime-esque" lies like "Every pokemon has a counter" (Every pokemon has a CHECK), "Every pokemon can work" (In a perfect world, yes, but I'd have Beyonce and Rihanna fighting over servicing me at the nearest brothel, and that hasn't happened yet either), and so on. The dude's got 40k subs, so that's potentially 40k brain washed players believing they're putting in work with Dunsparce and Shuckle. I really wish he wasn't a thing, but at this point, ignoring him's not doing jack. Best bet is to seriously make sure newcomers know the right places to go to get initiated.

That doesn't mean you can't use some of your favorites. I love Gardevoir, but I know she's not the best option. I ended going with the Steel/Fairy/Dragon core to make her role more viable, built into her defensive bulk to survive many common threats, slapped a mega stone on her so she can compensate for her lacking damage due to all this defensive bulk, and put a lil bit in Sp.Def so she can guarantee living against Modest Aegislash Shadow Balls. The spread ended up being Modest nature, 252 HP/192 Def/66 Sp.Def holding a mega stone with Moonblast, Psyshock, Thunderbolt, Protect. I also got a team for the starters I cleared the game with (rebred, but its the same species), Mega Venusaur and Delphox. It's possible to use favorites that aren't as top-tier, but it's not like you can be blind with it. If you need to, you can build multiple teams or team variations that help support a fave poke or two. Go to Nugget Bridge to help with that once you have a solid foundation in battle sense and team building.

Side note: That last line in that first paragraph? No problems:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYoTO-akZCsiusTe4rBxfhA
    Aaron Cybertron Zheng's Youtube page. Tons of battles and comprehensive meta talk. Shows how one should think while battling, and DEFINITELY shows the main things you should be wary of.

http://nuggetbridge.com/
    Nugget Bridge's site. Not as popular as Smogon, so it's not like there's conversations all day and night, but they should respond to cries for help to some degree if anything.

I'd also suggest taking some lumps on the special ladder in the battle spot.
  6. Faoláin

Faoláin

Thanks again!

I actually just found Cybertron from youtube and was listening to his VGC team building advice and using his directory information in his information box as well. I'll have to lower my expectations I think.

Instead of going for an all favorite team I'll have to build around 1 or 2 of my favorites. That being said I may have many different teams for VGC and test them out and see which one works the best.

I only actually started getting interested in the doubles/vgc recently and doing small calibrations on informations I put the team together in no less then 2 hrs with help from a friend. But this has enlightened me and I will have to do more of studying before I get it right!
    Chipndip likes this.
  7. Faoláin

Faoláin

Here is my attempt at a new team~

Pyroar (M) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Unnerve
    EVs: 228 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Hyper Voice
    - Overheat
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Protect

Hydreigon (M) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 156 Def / 100 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Dark Pulse
    - Flash Cannon
    - Rock Slide

Aerodactyl-Mega (M) @ Aerodactylite
    Ability: Tough Claws
    EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Def / 72 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    - Aerial Ace
    - Rock Slide
    - Protect
    - Roost

Zangoose (M) @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Toxic Boost
    Shiny: Yes
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    - Facade
    - Close Combat
    - Protect
    - Quick Guard

Amoonguss (M) @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 124 HP / 188 Def / 196 SDef
    Bold Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Protect
    - Spore

Mr. Mime (M) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Icy Wind
    - Fake Out
    - Teeter Dance
    - Dazzling Gleam

Let me know what you guys think. :) I worked a lot on this one to try and make things better than my previous team. <3
  8. Faoláin

Faoláin

9. Faoláin

Faoláin

10. Faoláin

Faoláin

11. Age of Kings

Age of Kings of the Ash Legion
    is a Forum Moderator

12. Faoláin

Faoláin

Thank you Age of Kings - I have posted over there.
  13. Qazoo306

Qazoo306

Hello and welcome to Smogon!! This team is infinitely better than the first one, but still needs some work.
    For starters, on Hydreigon, put either Dragon Pulse or Fire Blast (heat wave if it was legal in VGC 14 ;_;) over rock slide. Using rock slide provides no significant coverage that fire blast lacks. Fire blast is useful for coverage, and dragon pulse is useful for a weaker spam able STAB. Another change I would try with Hydreigon is maybe giving him a choice scarf over specs and a modest nature. The reason being he slower than he would like to be, so a scarf could help him out there.

Pyroar seems good.

On Aerodactyl, taunt may be a better option that roost. The reason being Aerodactyl is frail anyway, and most of your team is very fast. Taunt can be very useful on your team for preventing trick room from going up.

No offense, by why are you using Zangoose? I would recommend a mega kangaskhan instead. Remember that VGC is "bring 6 pokemon, but only battle with 4". Because of that rule, you can have 2 megas on your team and choose which on is better for the battle at hand. Here is the set I'd recommend using. It's pretty self explanatory.
    Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
    Ability: Scrappy
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Return
    - Sucker Punch
    - Power-Up Punch

Rage powder > sludge bomb on amoongus. It is very useful, especially when paired with something like my above suggestion, which lets it get a lot of KOs.

Mr. Mime seems pretty good, but I would use encore over dazzling gleam because of the utility.

Over all. Your team is pretty good! A few other suggestions though. I would recommend using a an intimidate user and a will-o-wisp user. Good luck with all of your VGC battles!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)