VGC Team Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why hello there.

I have long avoided Doubles play as I much prefer Singles, but I think its finally time to give it a shot with the new season approaching. I have the framework of my doubles team below, but there are some obvious holes I could use some help on as I'm quite inexperienced in the doubles meta:

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 236 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Protect

Being one of the few people in my area who actually enjoys Landorus's design, I cant help but use it in a format where it reigns supreme. It is merely serving its standard roles on this team, but its more important than ever as I have to protect my Gallade from Birdspam courtesy of M-Pinsir/Talonflame/M-Salamence.

Aegislash @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA? / 4 SpD?
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon/Sacred Sword?
- King's Shield
- Wide Guard

My second favorite mon. I don't think much needs to be explained about this guy by now, but I will say I want to run Sacred Sword over Flash Cannon because I think I can let Bisharp handle Faries for Gallade. Agislash is mainly here to give me something strong to lead with against Trick room teams.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- /Protect/Quick Guard?
- Pursuit

I enjoy battles of prediction, and Bisharp strikes me as a Pokemon who lives or dies on your ability to read your opponent. As a bonus, he also happened to be top tier in doubles. Here as my fairy and ghost check to protect Gallade from their wrath.

Togekiss @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Follow Me
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Helping Hand

Togekiss is Gallade and Landorus's best friends, giving them crucial turns to get off free attacks or boosts and Paralyzing their checks so they are outsped.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 232 HP / 84 Def / 112 SpA / 80 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Does mostly the same job as Togekiss, but versus different teams. Suicune is a good backup check against M-Salamence as well as offering speed control and perhaps a lucky burn to let Gallade and Bisharp do their work. Coincidentally my only Water resist. (This is probably the slot I am most open to changing)

Gallade @ Galladeite
Ability: Justified
EVs: ?
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

So here we come to my favorite Pokemon, and coincidentally the one I am having the most trouble deciding on a set for. M-Gallade has so many options open to it, and the set I have here is a sample that I think might be okay. Open to suggestions for the most effective move set to function alongside the support the rest of my team offers.

The team is meant to be primarily an anti-meta team, as that is usually the way I approach my singles teams. I envision picking three Pokemon to disrupt the opponents strategy in a way that allows for a Gallade sweep. I can tell that the team has some gaping flaws like not having a second mega evolution choice and generally having no game against dedicated weather teams. Suggestions on move sets or even mon changes are welcome, but the mons I want to form the core of the team are Aegislash, Landorus, and M-Gallade.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Last edited:
I think a dedicated RMT thread might be more successful here instead of telling everyone to go to the RMT forum. Like you said, nobody who's interested in VGC goes there, and if the battle spot forum is any indication, having the RMTs in the forum itself helps keep the forum active.
Thanks will do it

I didn't check for one of these threats! Can someone help me with my 6th?

Man, I'm not going to open a RMT thread, since nobody answers there, and this thread seems more apt for my doubt.

Hi there, as soon as I got my OR, I set to make Mega Swamp to work. However, that made me obliged to always use Politoed and MegaPert, and that makes two pokemon out of four with a weakness to Grass, and I was having trouble to deal with Sombrero Pineapple Mon (aka Ludicolo), and then with the ammount of Intimidates over there I decided to build a new team.

However, after trying it out, I couldn't get over 1100 on Showdown, and lost 5 out of 6 matches (the one I won was 2-1, only two of the ones I lost were 1-2), so I don't know what's the matter, and I keep changing the last mon (even though I don't know if the other 5 are good enough).

Oya (Bisharp) (F) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Iron Head
- Protect

Well, this was where I started the team. I knew I wanted something that would make my opponents think twice before bringing their Intimidates to the playground. Milotic was not an option, due to the next mon. As the team is going for TW support, I didn't invest in Speed, max Atk + Adamant to hit the hardest and the defensive effort allows it to survive two Hyper Voices from Sylveon and a Double Edge from Mence (iirc, after the Intimidate).

Focus Sash in case I run into a crit or something fight, and that will allow me to hit their fairy.

Iron Head for fairies, Sucker Punch for priority and a nice move, Taunt for Trick Room, Smeargle, Thundy, etc, and Protect for Protect.

Eusine (Suicune) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 188 HP / 44 Def / 212 SpA / 44 SpD / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Tailwind
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Protect

This was the mon I really wanted to use. It's my favorite legend not named Lugia, and I as soon as I learned it would be VGC legal, I wanted to use it (after I discarded the MegaPert team, I mean). It's Bold to handle the physical meta, and the effort in both Def and SDef + HP allow it to take hits harder. The 212 SpA means Ice Beam OHKOes 4 HP MegaMence 100% of time, and the rest went to speed to outspeed something I really don't recall -_-'.

Tailwind support is its main function, but it can also go straight to nuke in case I see an opening. Ice Beam for Dragons and Genies, Scald for good STAB + Burn.

Oxumare (Sylveon) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 116 HP / 108 Def / 116 SpA / 94 SpD / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Protect
- Psyshock
- Sleep Talk

This is a pokemon I wanted to use since it was first shown. Eevee is my favorite mon, and when I tried my hand on it in OU, I really liked the bulk and the nuke. At first, it's Calm to get good switches agains special attackers. It's also better against Gunk Shot and Sludge Bomb. The SDef + HP EVs allow it to survive Gunk Shot a good ammount of time (if I did the calcs right), SpA is enough to OHKO MegaMence, 76 Speed is enough to outspeed Mega Sceptile and Scarf Landorus in TW, and the rest went to Def for more bulk.

Hyper Voice because it's almost the new Brave Bird, Psyshock to deal with Poison things, Sleep Talk to surprise Dark Void and Protect for Protect. I'm still thinking about using Quick Attack instead of Sleep Talk, but, although I'm not seeing as many Smeargles as I thought I would, here in Brazil people love to use it and the cheap Dark Void strategy, so maybe I'll be using Quick Attack on BS and Showdown, and change it to Sleep Talk here.

Xango! (Zapdos) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 220 HP / 52 Def / 28 SpA / 172 SpD / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind

This is the fourth mon I'm almost sure of. I played with the idea of Thundy here, but I'm not sure just yet, I like having another Tailwind supporter, meaning I don't have to bring Cune 100% of the time, and I'm also happy to have a spread move like Heat Wave. Bold for the same reason as Cune, The EVs are meant to optimize its bulk. Safety Goggles to avoid redirection with Rage Powder and Spore. It has won me a game already.

T-Wave and Tailwind for Speed Control, it'll depend on what's happening. on the field. Thunderbolt for STAB, Heat Wave for coverage and spread. I believe everyone knows what Zapdos does.

-->>

Dannu (Kangaskhan) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 212 HP / 212 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpD / 60 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Sucker Punch
- Double-Edge
- Fake Out

Ok, I'm not proud of it, but I couldn't think of another mega that could fit better than Mega Kanga. The Spread is the same I saw in some report last year, it's meant to survive a Hammer Arm from another Mega Kanga. I'll probably have to rethink it, now that HJK Lopunny is a thing and Low Kick is back.

Fake Out for Fake Out (Although I'm thinking of changing it to Protect), Low Kick because it hits really hard almost everything it's super-effective against, harder than Hammer Arm, Sucker Punch just because and Double-Edge because I like the raw power of it.

Now, onto the last slot.

I've been playing with the same team, and exchanging three pokemon for the last slot. I'll put all of them here because I really need to know who can work better (also, besides Bisharp, Cune and Sylveon, I guess everyone else is exchangeable, in case someone has a better suggestion).

Candidate #01

Euryale (Hydreigon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 84 HP / 90 Def / 252 SpA / 84 SpD
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse

I honestly clicked buttons here. I wanted to use Hydreigon, but it made my team with three weaknesses against Fighting-type moves. I went for Max nuke power with 252 SpA and Modest, and divided the rest to improve bulk. Specs to compound with the nuke focus.

Dark Pulse and Draco Meteor are kind of obvious in it. Earth Power offers good way to deal with Heatran, Camerupt and other things weak to it. Dragon Pulse is there in case I don't need the immediate power of Meteor, and don't want to deal with the SAtk loss.

Candidate #02

-->>
6-megay.gif

Charly (Charizard) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 92 HP / 4 Def / 212 SpA / 44 SpD / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Overheat
- Steel Wing

I used CharY at the end of VGC 14, and I really liked it. The spread I saw somewhere here, and I really liked the fact that it survives more hits than 252/252. Modest for more power.

Protect and Heat Wave are sort of obvious. Iirc, with this SAtk, it can OHKO Mega Kanga with Overheat. Steel Wing in case I need to finish some annoying fairy, but as I never used it, I'm thinking of putting SolarBeam back.

Candidate #03

Cernunnos (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 212 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm

Right now, this is the one I've been using more, so I'm more inclined to use it. Intimidate is just too good to pass up, and I really need it. Careful + Assault Vest + 252 SpD + 212 HP makes it survive A TON of moves that are generally used to deal with it. 36 Atk to have some offensive power and 4 Def just because there were spare points.

U-Turn to go up and down spreading Intimidate. Knock Off to hit hard almost all TR setters and Aegis (even though it might activate Weakness Policy), E-Quake because it's Landy, and Hammer Arm to have a hard hitting attack, and also to decrease its speed, in case I'm dealing with a TR team.

Well, this is it. I do hope you can help me. I don't really like doing RMTs, because it generally means you don't know what you're doing, but right now I don't know where I am wrong.

Thanks a lot for your attention and help =)
Why not Thundurus over Zapdos? Just a question. Paralysis is also a form of speed control, and Thundy synergizes with mons like Lando-T and Kan better. Taunt is also crippling to mons like Mega-Gengar and Sitrus berry helps survivability. I know it doesn't answer your question, but it's still a consideration

Hey, VGC people. I'm in need of help with building a semi Trick Room. Here's what I have so far:

Eddy Gordo (Hitmontop) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

Trick Room or not, Hitmontop is generally one of my most used leads. Fake Out almost ensures a guaranteed Trick Room unless a faster Fake Out user and/or an unexpected Taunt user leads. Wide Guard because spread moves are common and I needed a way to deal with that. Finally, CC for STAB and Rock Slide just so I have a way to deal with sun teams and whatever's weak to rock.

Christie Monteiro (Gothitelle) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpA / 224 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Tickle
- Rest
- Psyshock

The only TR setter I have so far. I could switch her out for something like a Cresselia, but I just like Gothitelle as a Pokemon and Shadow Tag is loads of fun to play around. EVs to hit as hard as possible while at the same time surviving things like Shadow Ball Aegislash and Dark Pulse Specs Hydreigon.

Jin Kazama (Camerupt) (M) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice

Trick Room attacker. Basic STAB + HP Ice for Landorus-T/Mega Salamence. Self explanatory.

Kazuya Mishima (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Generally used out of TR as a nice Fairy and opposing Trick Room check. Though, a Specs Sylveon can easily dismantle this Bisharp without Wide Guard support, I've considered making it more bulky or giving it a Focus Sash so I'm still unsure what to do with its spread+item.

Heihachi Mishima (Amoonguss) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain

A great Pokemon both in and out of Trick Room thanks to having much needed redirection in Rage Powder and Spore because sleep rules.

As for my 6th, I'm still trying to decide a Water type that can fit this team. Azumarill works really well both in and out of Trick Room with Play Rough and Aqua Jet. Rotom-W is also good for that added Electric STAB and Will-o-Wisp to neutralize physical threats. If it means totally revamping this team around to make it better would be good too!

Please, I need some advice :)
Well, what are you trying to go for? As of now, it seems like just 4 common Pokemon on a team. Not saying that's bad, just want to know what direction you're taking that.
agreed. What you're essentially saying is "build my team for me" which is a really convoluted question.

What we need to know is where you want to head with your team. What are you comfortable with? Which pokemon give you trouble with your core? How do you pokemon syngergize with your playstyle. What pokemon do you like to use? That right there will help you answer some questions before any ideas from us.

Hey, VGC people. I'm in need of help with building a semi Trick Room. Here's what I have so far:

Eddy Gordo (Hitmontop) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 60 Def / 60 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wide Guard
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

Trick Room or not, Hitmontop is generally one of my most used leads. Fake Out almost ensures a guaranteed Trick Room unless a faster Fake Out user and/or an unexpected Taunt user leads. Wide Guard because spread moves are common and I needed a way to deal with that. Finally, CC for STAB and Rock Slide just so I have a way to deal with sun teams and whatever's weak to rock.

Christie Monteiro (Gothitelle) (F) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpA / 224 SpD
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Tickle
- Rest
- Psyshock

The only TR setter I have so far. I could switch her out for something like a Cresselia, but I just like Gothitelle as a Pokemon and Shadow Tag is loads of fun to play around. EVs to hit as hard as possible while at the same time surviving things like Shadow Ball Aegislash and Dark Pulse Specs Hydreigon.

Jin Kazama (Camerupt) (M) @ Cameruptite
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice

Trick Room attacker. Basic STAB + HP Ice for Landorus-T/Mega Salamence. Self explanatory.

Kazuya Mishima (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Generally used out of TR as a nice Fairy and opposing Trick Room check. Though, a Specs Sylveon can easily dismantle this Bisharp without Wide Guard support, I've considered making it more bulky or giving it a Focus Sash so I'm still unsure what to do with its spread+item.

Heihachi Mishima (Amoonguss) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Protect
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain

A great Pokemon both in and out of Trick Room thanks to having much needed redirection in Rage Powder and Spore because sleep rules.

As for my 6th, I'm still trying to decide a Water type that can fit this team. Azumarill works really well both in and out of Trick Room with Play Rough and Aqua Jet. Rotom-W is also good for that added Electric STAB and Will-o-Wisp to neutralize physical threats. If it means totally revamping this team around to make it better would be good too!
I'd go with Sitrus Berry Azumarill. Up to you if you want to use Belly Drum-- I think it's gimmicky, but it does work.

Hitmontop would work better with Eject Button.

To be honest, I was not really keen on the idea of a "partial trick room" team, because it seems to split up your ideas for what the team should do. However, it does seem to work on paper. My only suggestion is that you get very intimate with your team, and understand when it's okay to TR and when it isn't. That also means when it isn't okay, you've already decided on your 4 mons, as two of them (Gothitelle and Camurupt) are dedicated to TR. If you want more versatility, Cresselia will be better, giving you Trick Room, Icy Wind (for speed control outside of TR) Helping Hand and Psyshock. Cress is also more bulky by far.

Another idea is support Talonflame, as Priority Brave Bird works in TR as well, and Quick Guard prevents your pretty slow pokemon from getting hit from Fake Outs as well.

However, it is your team. If you get it to run like it is, I can't really say much.

Yeah, I'm all aboard with replacing Goth wtih Cress if it's for the sake of making this team work. I totally forgot it has Icy Wind. Also, I'm already in the process of adding Azumarill in my team. Talonflame, though pretty damn useful as a support, doesn't really seem that it would fit in my current team. If I gotta totally revamp my team, then I will definitely consider having it on my team.

Thanks for the advice, man. Really do appreciate it.

I had this posted as an RMT, so I'm just gonna copy-paste that:
Teambuilding:

Started with Sableye+Mega Camerupt. Kind of randomly filled the last slots with Pokemon I thought could be useful.

Realized I hate Mega Camerupt and that Cobalion isn't doing as well as I thought it would. Swapped for Talonflame and Mega Lucario.

The usefulness of Lanturn was a hit or miss type thing, so I swapped for something that could be more useful, Thundurus-I.

Noticed that I never took Dragalge once and that I had a little trouble with rain teams. Swapped Dragalge for Ludicolo.

Sableye(Prankster) @ Leftovers
252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpDef
Sassy Nature
-Confuse Ray
-Quash
-Will-o-Wisp
-Knock Off

I had started with Sableye since I had found it to be a pain to deal with. With this, I assumed others would not like dealing with it as well. EVs are to let it survive one Banded Talonflame Brave Bird. Since it can survive the one turn, I'll be able to deal with Talonflame. Confuse Ray is amazing to abuse with 100% accuracy and I am taking full advantage of that. Will-o-Wisp is really nice to cripple Pokemon like Kanga and other physical attacks. Not to mention, it goes through Aegislash King's Shield, which is a plus. Quash brings so much utility, it's amazing. Messing around with the turn order is really fun and can completely turn the game around. Knock Off brings utility as well and gives Sableye an option in case it gets Taunted.

Talonflame(Gale Wings) @ Sky Plate
252 Atk / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
-Brave Bird
-Overheat
-Tailwind
-Protect

Simply put, I hate Talonflame, but what it brings to the table is just too hard to pass up on. With so many common Pokemon being weak to Flying-type, a priority Flying-type move is exactly what I need. This comes in the form of Brave Bird for Talonflame. EVs are quite standard and so is the nature. Sky Plate is to boost Brave Bird without adding more recoil to prolong its time on the field. Overheat can deal with Aegislash, Ferrothorn, and Scizor. Tailwind is also priority so when it is about to die, I can at least make sure Tailwind comes off and Protect is a standard last choice.

Gardevoir(Telepathy) @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
-Hidden Power Fire
-Trick
-Psychic
-Dazzling Gleam

I was looking for a Scarf user and way to deal with Dragon-types, so Gardevoir came to mind right away. I use Hidden Power Fire to take care of Steel-types, even though it is not generally a OHKO. Psychic was my STAB of choice for Psychic-type, while I choose Dazzling Gleam to get spread Fairy-type damage. Trick was just an added bonus on top of everything else. EVs are standard for a special sweeper, but I'm currently looking for a better spread.

Thundurus(Prankster) @ Charti Berry
56 HP / 252 SpAtk / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
-Thunder Wave
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice
-Grass Knot

After trying out Lanturn, I decided to stop at Thundurus-I. It brought Prankster Thunder Wave, which is always something nice to have. Also, it brings a reliable Electric-type STAB, as Lanturn was more of a hit or miss. Hidden Power Ice deals with Pokemon like Landorus and Salamence, as well as many others. Grass Knot is to take care of Swampert. Usually, I'll use Quash on Swampert with Sableye so Thundurus can take the clean OHKO. EV spread is some random spread I threw together. I am also looking to get this one changed. Nature is to maximize damage output.

Lucario(Justified) @ Lucarionite
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Close Combat
-Bullet Punch
-Rock Slide
-Protect

Once I got rid of Camerupt, I had a slot for a Mega and since Cobalion wasn't doing as well as I thought, I had swapped it for Mega Lucario. As of right now, Lucario is one of the two Pokemon that I am looking to get replaced. I'm not a fan of its typing and the fact that it is physical in a metagame where physical attackers are easily crippled makes me unsure about it. I believe that everything about it is very standard right now. The only thing that should get changed if I keep it is the EV spread. *LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS HERE*

Ludicolo(Swift Swim) @ Assault Vest
4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
-Fake Out
-Ice Beam
-Hydro Pump
-Giga Drain

After realizing that I never even used Dragalge, I settled for another Assault Vest user that I may actually benefit from, especially since I still was not confident in my ability to deal with rain teams. Again, everything here is standard as I am unsure about whether or not it will keep this last position. Standard EV spread and moves are to cover as much ground as possible. *I AM LOOKING FOR RECOMMENDATIONS HERE AS WELL*

Closing: Thank you for reading. Mainly, I am looking for opinions on the last two slots. I am definitely open to changes on anything, but I feel like I have a good foundation so far, meaning that I DO NOT need an entire revamp of the team. Any and all opinions are accepted and appreciated.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Confuse Ray
- Will-O-Wisp
- Quash
- Knock Off

Talonflame @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Brave Bird
- Protect
- Overheat
- Tailwind

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Thundurus (M) @ Charti Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
- Rock Slide
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest
Ability: Swift Swim
- Giga Drain
- Fake Out
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
Edit
Tentative changes that I made while testing:

Mega Lucario->Aegislash
Ludicolo->Arcanine

Last edited:
I didn't check for one of these threats! Can someone help me with my 6th?

Why not Thundurus over Zapdos? Just a question. Paralysis is also a form of speed control, and Thundy synergizes with mons like Lando-T and Kan better. Taunt is also crippling to mons like Mega-Gengar and Sitrus berry helps survivability. I know it doesn't answer your question, but it's still a consideration
Yeah, I've been testing it out. Bold Thundurus with Yache is pulling its weight.

Hi, I'm reasonably new to vgc, and after soft resetting for quite a few hours I've managed to get both a perfect cresselia and a perfect suicune. I also have a standard adamant 252 hp kangaskhan, and enjoy using amoomgus. I was wandering if anyone would be kind enough to make a rough team using at least two from that list.

(Ps both the suicune and cresselia are untouched)

My current team has been doing decently well so far, won 17/22 games so far, here it is:

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 74 Def / 140 SpA / 42 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Taunt
- Wide Guard
- Protect

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash

Venusaur @ Black Sludge
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Protect

Quick rundown of the team: Lopunny is my mega, it outspeeds pretty much the entire unscarfed meta, and can hit like a truck (hjk can ohko mega kangas). Rotom-Wash to deal with those Talonflames that Lopunny hates, plus the washing machine is great all around. Aerodactyl is exetremely useful on the team, being able to taunt trickroom users, provide nice rockslide support, along with wide guard which has swung so many matches in my favor. I was kind of skeptical about banded Scizor at first, but decided to try it out and fell in love with him, dual stab + aerial ace for technician moves. Volcarona is rather underrated and can punch holes in the enemy team, epsecially if given a chance to set up one or two QDs.

I'm kind of looking for a replacement for Venusaur. He is a great mon, but I find myself barely picking him (mostly on the sun-team matchup). Mons that I've tried but let go of are Whimsicott, AV Metagross, Arcanine, Rotom-Heat, Noivern, Hydreigon, Bisharp, Aegislash, Gardevoir, and Chandelure. Any help would be cool, thanks in advance.

Hi,

I recently got back into playing Pokemon and saw that the BattleSpot Doubles ladder now goes by VGC rules and decided to give it a go. The only caveat is that I do not own ORAS. I intend to only play on the XY rated ladder. That being said here goes, and I appreciate any help.

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpA / 140 SpD / 60 Spe
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Helping Hand
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp

I decided that I would like to construct a team that would allow me to use Arcanine, since I've really liked its design. After watching several YouTube videos as well as searching through various forums I came to the conclusion that in the current meta Bulky Support Arcanine over a more offensive set is the most effective way to utilize this pokemon. I got this set from a post by Pyritie the Arcanine(VGC 2015) thread in the VGC subforum. According to the post it can survive a Draco Meteor from a Choice Specs Hydreigon, possibly survive Double Edge from Mega Kangaskhan with the Sitrus Berry, OHKO 252 HP/0 SpD Mega Mawile, and outspeed and OHKO standard Life Orb Adamant Bisharp.

I've considered shifting the EVs from SpA to ATK and using Flare Blitz instead of Overheat with a Careful nature but with no reliable recovery move and the fact that there's a lot of Intimidate going around I decided against it. As much as I would love to just hit things with Arcanine. That being said, I am very much open to any other effective options for Arcanine.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Protect
- Iron Head

Despite being the 5th most used Pokemon in ORAS Doubles rated battles at the time of this post, Bisharp doesn't even make it into the top 12 for XY Doubles. Not exactly sure why it's that way. That aside I opted for Bisharp as a deterrent to opposing Intimidate users and as some physical offense. Honestly Bisharp doesn't have to be here but I've seen it used quite a lot so I decided why not? Pretty standard set I think.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Icy Wind
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Credit for this Gengar goes to Aaron "Cybertron" Zheng. It's the Support Lead Gengar set he has been using in his recent APEX team. I really liked the way it operated watching his videos on YouTube and decided I would like to give it a shot. Icy Wind support for speed control, Taunt for shenanigans, and Sludge Bomb for STAB and just in case of enemy Taunt. Now I left Will-O-Wisp on because I figured that having a 2nd Pokemon that can spread burn with so many physical attackers running amok couldn't hurt and also as a backup in case I decided to opt for a more offensive Arcanine set. Levitate gives me 1 team member so far that I can use to switch in on obvious Earthquakes for Arcanine and/or Bisharp.

That's as far as I got so far. It's been somewhat difficult to pick the last 3 team members given that I am using XY cart only and I don't readily have access to the more commonly used Legendaries such as Cresselia, Thundurus, Landorus, etc. I would like to add in another Pokemon that I can use to switch in to take EQ along with Gengar should I ever decide to lead with Arcanine + Bisharp, possible Tailwind support, and options against the majority of the top 12 most used Pokemon on the XY rated ladder. Those being, at the time of this post, in ascending order: Mega Kangaskhan, Talonflame, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Wash Rotom, Sylveon, Thundurus, Mega Mawile, Mega Charizard Y, Heatran, Aegislash, and Cresselia.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Hi,
Despite being the 5th most used Pokemon in ORAS Doubles rated battles at the time of this post, Bisharp doesn't even make it into the top 12 for XY Doubles. Not exactly sure why it's that way. That aside I opted for Bisharp as a deterrent to opposing Intimidate users and as some physical offense. Honestly Bisharp doesn't have to be here but I've seen it used quite a lot so I decided why not? Pretty standard set I think.
I think the reason why Bisharp isn't used as much on XY is because there's another very good defiant user: HA Thundurus (or Tornadus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)