VGC11 Locations & Dates Announced!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not gonna lie, I couldn't give two shits about their budget. Every tournament they have put together since JAA in 2006 has paled in comparison, and last I checked you're supposed to be trying to OUTDO yourself. Why is there a budget anyway? They should be THROWING money at this event.
They're only given a certain amount of money by their parent company. I think TCG unfortunately gets most of the funding as it generates more revenue being directly tied to the tournaments. The VGC staff doesn't control the budget. I think Liesik had to fight to even have the VGC out here.

I'm hoping that next year we can have some Canadian nationals. All correspondence between players and Liesik seem to indicate that's what they're moving towards. South Korea this year was a nice surprise.

oh fuck off...

having an age group consisting of only 4 ages is totally justified for not giving canada an event
Man, you have to calm down. obviously you're pissed that Canada doesn't get anything, but having a third division is a great addition to the game. (I'm not saying that just because I'm in Seniors) It's just unfair that 12 years olds have to go against Masters (who generally have much more knowledge in the game) and not even stand a chance to win. It sucks to go to a tournament to just lose within seconds against someone, like, double your age. Seniors has just as large as a player base as Juniors, and it makes competition healthier.

It sucks that Canada once again doesn't have any tournaments, but at least Mike's reaching out to us and is showing that he's trying.

why are all the locations on the coast? i'm in Chicago, so i basically have to fly to DC, Jersey, or Atlanta to compete. Fnckin pokemon company...

They're only given a certain amount of money by their parent company. I think TCG unfortunately gets most of the funding as it generates more revenue being directly tied to the tournaments. The VGC staff doesn't control the budget. I think Liesik had to fight to even have the VGC out here.

I'm hoping that next year we can have some Canadian nationals. All correspondence between players and Liesik seem to indicate that's what they're moving towards. South Korea this year was a nice surprise.
I'm beginning to hate how they're moving in the VGC under the TCG if this is the route they're going. Simply because I've played the TCG since it came out and I know how fucked up things could end up being...

Also agreeing, Canada's been screwed quite a bit, they really should get their own Nats and such. I mean, they're just as deserving, if not more so, than half of the other random countries they throw up European events in imo.

I'm beginning to hate how they're moving in the VGC under the TCG if this is the route they're going. Simply because I've played the TCG since it came out and I know how fucked up things could end up being...

Also agreeing, Canada's been screwed quite a bit, they really should get their own Nats and such. I mean, they're just as deserving, if not more so, than half of the other random countries they throw up European events in imo.
*Cough AUSTRALIA cough*

Hopefully if our tournament shows promise Australia will also be involved in VGC in the future. Poor Canada and Aus....

why are all the locations on the coast? i'm in Chicago, so i basically have to fly to DC, Jersey, or Atlanta to compete. Fnckin pokemon company...
There is what amounts to a regional in Indianapolis the day before Nationals. A lot of us from the Midwest who can't afford/don't have the time are going to participate in this in hopes to q for Nats.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
What money does this generate exactly?

It's a relatively little-known event that really does little for pokemon's publicity. I mean, if there was a 1$ entry fee or something, I could see that happen to an extent, but for now it's more entertainment than truly amazing advertising.

To put it simply, it attracts few new customers (the people attending are mostly well-familiarized with pokemon and obviously must have bought games to attend).
I understand, but after releasing 3DS/Black/White they're making money hand over fist. If they're going to blame the bad economy on tightening the VGC budget, I'm just going to call bullshit.

I find that very disappointing. By completely ignoring the majority of the country, they aren't sending a message of "we're trying to save money," it says "we're too cheap to spread out the regionals properly and in a fair manner."

Call me bitter, but there never should be the situation I face where the closest regional is at least 6 hours away.

The fact is, the TCG has a much more sustainable source of income, since people continue to buy cards year after year, while a person usually only buys at most 1 of each game cartridge. And since they make a larger slice of money, they get to have more events. That's pretty much the simplest explanation I can give and understand.

why is it always a nine hour trip to the nearest one? they really do need more stops, because a lot of people miss out because of the distance required.

kingofmars

Its 2015 somewhere
won the 2nd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
To make the maximum distance traveled 5 hours from anywhere, TPCI needs to add an assload more regionals, which it doesn't have the money to do. Also, if you think that's bad, Europe has only 5 stops.

Jthreau

formerly DoubleJG
Still no Australia. Pretty upset about that.

Don't know why you Americans are complaining, my nearest one is 30 hours away and I plan to go.
That sure is some nice dedication you have there. I could make the trip up to the WA if I wanted to, but I would have to take two days off from work.

The nationals date says 12-14. If I can only go one day, would it be best to go on the 14th? I am assuming that is when the final battles will be held.

That sure is some nice dedication you have there. I could make the trip up to the WA if I wanted to, but I would have to take two days off from work.

The nationals date says 12-14. If I can only go one day, would it be best to go on the 14th? I am assuming that is when the final battles will be held.
Yup the top cut battles will occur on the 14. They also have some flat screens out so you can watch different battles taking place.

damn, i really wanted to go, but as my mum said 'im not driving all the way to Birmingham just so you can make some children cry!' im gonna take that as a compliment.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
your mom obviously doesn't understand Pokemon

or Smogon, for that matter

Indianapolis, IN (It's not in Illinois)

The bad news is I likely won't perform well in a regional. The good news is if I make it out of a regional, I'm a native of Indianapolis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)