All Gens Viable all-generation team?

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Captain Evil, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Captain Evil

Captain Evil

Is it possible to make a team that is viable (or semi-viable) in all five generations?
    The six Pokémon have to stay the same species, but the movesets may vary between generations.
    (Example: Starmie as a Recover sweeper in RBY, changing to Rapid Spinner in later generations)
    I think Gengar and Starmie are safe bets, due to their OU status through all five generations, but what other suitable Pokémon are there?
  2. SpecsX

SpecsX

Really, there aren't too many options, due to the drastic changes between Gens. There are 5 mons that have been OU until Gen 4(after Gen 5, Snorlax and Zapdos dropped), and the addition of Steels and Darks in Gen 2 in particular kinda means that you will get beat by Dragons in later Gens.
  3. Umby

Umby I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Are you asking if there six are Pokemon from the first gen that would make a solid team regardless of what gen they are in? If that's the case, Starmie and Gengar are usually good bets. Snorlax is good up until 3rd gen, not sure after that. Dragonite might finds some niche spot on a team. After that, Cloyster, Vaporeon, Zapdos, Venusaur and Tentacruel are of interest, but I don't think any combination of these can make up whole viable teams together by themselves.
  4. Captain Evil

Captain Evil

Well, yes, I'm asking about six Pokémon from the first gen that would make a solid team regardless of what gen they are in. Keep in mind "solid", as in "somewhat usable". I'm not asking about a team which would excel in all generations, but a team that could be used with some degree of success. One should also consider the respective Pokémon's strong and weak generations: Snorlax might not be very good in DP or BW, but he's #1 in GS and possibly #2 in RB. Coupling him with something that's strong in DP and BW, but weaker in RB and GS, would let both pull their weight and cover each other's weaknesses. And it's not like a UU mon is useless, either.

Dragonite seems like a good option, he should find a use on any team.
  5. Jorgen

Jorgen World's Strongest Fairy
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Winner

Jolteon would also be a good one to consider for an "all-gen" team.

Also if we're mentioning Venusaur who's pretty okay, but nonetheless consistently UU in all generations, we might as well give Alakazam a mention, since although he's pretty much UU for all gens GSC thru DPP, he's got OU status in RBY and BW.
  6. NixHex

NixHex If I were gay for a day I'd go all the way ... with guys
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Chansey is pretty magnificent in RBY and BW. I imagine it playing the same roll as Blissey in GSC-BW except with unusable Special Attack after RBY.
  7. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

This is what I have at the moment, though I havent fully fleshed it out:
    Starmie, Zapdos, Snorlax, Gyarados, Dragonite, Mangeton.

Its pretty average in pretty much every gen though..
  8. Captain Evil

Captain Evil

Pretty average is good enough for the purposes of this thread. What made you choose Magneton over, let's say, Gengar?
  9. Hipmonlee

Hipmonlee Have a rice day
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

Firstly because its a steel type, and secondly because in advance and dp and to a lesser extent bw it gives the team a way of winning.. Sorta.. By trapping steels and sweeping with Nite/Gyara/Lax.

Plus I didnt think of Gengar..
  10. Borat

Borat

Without knowing anything about the last 2 gens:

Snorlax, Zapdos, Gengar, Dragonite, Starmie, and Skarmory, because fuck it RBY can be played 5v6.

Or just Chansey.
  11. SpecsX

SpecsX

You kinda HAVE to have a Magneton, because Dragons are outrageously powerful(no pun intended) in the later Gens. And even then, Magneton loses to Mixmence and DragMag.

I'm also not quite sure how you'd get by without a Spiker in GSC, but I'm no expert on Gen 2.
  12. meteor64

meteor64

Cloyster/Gengar/Zapdos/Lax/Dragonite/Venusaur is what I'd go for, although Starmie could replace Cloy.
  13. TheDuzzMaster

TheDuzzMaster

I would go for:

Tauros / Magneton / Gyarados / Starmie / Rhydon / Snorlax

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)