Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
While all of the new mega's get increased stats/new typing/new ability, they have to forgo a hold item. For which Pokemon is mega evolving worth it?

Mega Venusaur may be worthwhile because of its defensive focus. Thick Fat removes two troubling weaknesses, and the +40 to Def and +20 to SpD don't hurt. It loses on leftovers recovery and Chlorophyll sweeping, but weather got nerfed this gen (yay!) so that set won't be Growing anytime soon (get it?). Also, Attack and Speed are both brought up to 103 and 100 respectively, so maybe this thing has some tanking potential.

Mega Charizard X...possibly. It really hinges on the benefits of Fire/Dragon typing.

Mega Alakazam: Maybe. I can't remember many Specs Alakazams, and Life Orb'd Alakazam has equal SpA. The 150 base Spe is what really makes him worth it.

Mega Gengar might be useful cause of Shadow Tag + Perish Song/Destiny Bond, and a higher SpA than normally obtainable through Life Orb.

Mega Khangaskahn is probably gonna be really good thanks to the parental bond ability.

Mega Gardevoir gets Pixilate, which might be helpful. Its SpA boost is greater than that of which it would've had without mega evolving. Also, 100 base Spe is much better than 80.

I can see Mega Mawile tanking like there's no tommorow cause of its impressive defensive stats and typing, and the highest attack stat in the game thanks to huge power. Its only letdown is its speed.

Mega Medicham was almost as high attack as Mega Mawile, but much higher speed. Definitely gonna be a threat.

Mega Absol may only have +20 to Attack when compared to normal, but it's almost twice as fast. Also, magic bounce makes it immune to crippling status.

Everything else seems to be better off unevolved.

All my info I got from here
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-xy-data-collection.3489182/

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Chandelure in Dream World was broken as fuck in BW, and it was MUCH slower and was weak to common attacks, weak to Stealth Rock, and could be Pursuit trapped by T-tar. Mega Gengar is not only one of the fastest Pokemon in OU, but it also has a fantastic offensive typing, incredible movepool, and it can outspeed every Pursuit trapper in the entire game, including Scarf T-Tar. It's Special Attack is also on par with Life Orb Gengar, and it can use Disable, Perish Song, and Pain Split to fuck with things. Yeah this thing meh.

You guys think any of these Mega Evolutions will be banned, or do you think general power creep will keep them OU? If I had to guess I'd say Absol would be the first one to get suspect tested. Priority's the only thing I can see stopping it. Venusaur and Gengar will benefit, and I could see Gengar maybe getting a suspect test too, considering everyone wanted Shadow Tag Chandy banned way back when. From what I've seen, Mega Garchomp looks a little worse off due to lower speed. Or at least that's what I've read.

Any word on who's getting more than one Mega Evolution? Only Charizard and Mewtwo have been confirmed for two last time I heard.

The lack of any mention of Mega Charizard Y saddens me. Yes, X got Fire/Dragon and a boost to contact moves and Y is still 4x weak to Stealth Rock. But just because weather abilities got nerfed doesn't mean weather isn't a viable playstyle, and in Gen V weather abilities sent two NU Pokemon to the point of being OU stars. MegaZard Y, despite his SR weakness, could be used and used well in any tier below wherever Ninetales ends up.

You didn't mention Mega Blaziken, who has several advantages that make it a little better than regular Blaziken. The big one here is the speed. Blaziken needs to run a Jolly nature, lest it be outsped by Scarf Keldeo, Terrakion, Latios, Gengar, etc. That said, Adamant Mega Blaziken can outrun all of those. Heck, it even outruns Jolly Blaziken. Comparing Jolly Blaziken to Adamant Mega Blaziken, the latter is significantly more powerful than the former even counting the Life Orb. Even if you run an Adamant nature on Blaziken and risk being outsped by the aforementioned threats, it's still only slightly more powerful (about 5%, IIRC). The extra bulk of Mega Blaziken is also useful, letting it take an occasional priority attack more easily. This is further assisted by the fact that Mega Blaziken doesn't use Life Orb and thus doesn't suffer the recoil from it.

Also, in regards to Mega Gengar, it really doesn't matter if your opponent can check it with a faster Scarf user when it can trap and kill pretty much whatever it wants, which is insanely good for support.

The lack of any mention of Mega Charizard Y saddens me. Yes, X got Fire/Dragon and a boost to contact moves and Y is still 4x weak to Stealth Rock. But just because weather abilities got nerfed doesn't mean weather isn't a viable playstyle, and in Gen V weather abilities sent two NU Pokemon to the point of being OU stars. MegaZard Y, despite his SR weakness, could be used and used well in any tier below wherever Ninetales ends up.
I suppose Mega Charizard Y will be BETTER than Charizard...definitley not OU though

You forgot M-Blaziken, M-Lucario and M-Scizor and the Mewtwo formes. They are better than their normal forms.

Agent Gibbs post covered Blaziken. M-Lucario gains very notable speed boost, its bullet punch and close combat are as powerful as life orbed lucario's but without the recoil. It's also bulkier which is very nice.

M-Scizor is also a lot bulkier so it tanks better and the Mewtwo forms are super strong like almost base 200 satk and atk respectively.

All of them will likely be viable in OU. The question is just if it's worth using them over a different (better) mega, but compared to non-megas they're definitely viable.
And even megas might end up having non-mega counters, so that can vary things more and not make one too overpowered.

Mega Gengar seems like the best one right now, since you can get rid of everything you're faster than by revengekilling (and that's almost everything). Only thing to watch out for is scarfers, but they need to watch out what moves to use to not get locked while Megengar sets up on them or something.

Mega Gengar is by far the best Mega evolution because of Shadow Tag, high special attack, and speed. Gengar already received a huge boost with Steel types no longer resisting Ghost, leaving Dark and Normal types as the only resistances. The Mega evolution takes Gengar to the next level and I'm sure it'll be a top tier threat in the metagame. I could see MegaGengar + Dragon teams being very popular since Gengar can trap Fairy types and threaten them with STAB Sludge Wave.

Mega Lucario is another Mega Evolution that is viable over it's regular form thanks to Adaptability. Close Combat and Bullet Punch receive a larger boost from Adaptability than Life Orb. Add that on top of Mega Lucario's significantly higher offenses and speed, and you've got a very formidable sweeper.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, i think that in this generation, we will see something that hasn't been a part of OU in a long time. I think we will finally see a diverse tier. I think a lot of these Pokémon will have "Haxorus syndrome," as Gary2346 would call it. Mega Evolutions will, in my opinion, almost all be viable in the same way that Haxorus is. It works, you can run it, but there's usually something better that can be used in its place. The same thing can be said of Mega Evolutions. Even though Mega Absol might be able to do well in OU, there is still reason to use Mega Lucario over it, so most people will. That's not to say that Mega ABsol won't be good, just that Mega Lucario might fill certain roles better. But it gets even more complicated than that. Not only to certain Megas compete with each other because they fulfill similar roles, they ALL compete with each other just for being Mega Pokémon! Though Mega Charizard X and Mega Gengar fill two completely different roles, you can't use both on the same team, so Charizard usage will drop. The same goes for Gardevoir and Aggron and whatever else you might use in OU. Because of this, I think we'll see a drastic increase in BL Pokémon filled with Mega Evolutions that will all be viable in their own way. I'm kind of excited to see what comes out on top (besides Gengar).

Mega Charizard X is dependant on exactly how much Tough Claws boots its power. Otherwise, its fairly comparable to Hydregion, stat-wise. Except Mega Charizard X has the downside that it can now get hurt hard by Earthquake, which is a big deal. It also has a base speed of 100 and can't take advantage of items. I think Y will be better because Drought is a good ability.

I won't be surprised if Mega Gengar gets bumped up to Uber, and same for Mega Blaziken. I think Mega Lucario won't see as much play because of how it actually deals less damage than regular Lucario with a Life Orb. Mega Alakazam won't be as good as regular Alakazam since it loses Magic Guard. I don't have much of a judgment on the others at the moment.

Mega Mawile and Mega Absol will have niches, for sure. I see Mega Absol developing into a really nasty anti-lead. Magic Bounce + Swords Dance is frightening.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alakazam, Garchomp, and Heracross got shafted by Mega Evolution. Alakazam loses Magic Guard and cannot hold Focus Sash / Life Orb; Garchomp's Speed drops to a pitiful 92; and Heracross also loses its Speed and gains a seemingly useless ability Skill Link

The Kanto starter's mega evolutions aren't that great, either. None of them broke the crucial 100 base Speed benchmark (not even Charizard smh). I guess Venusaur can be useful for its newfound bulk and loss of weaknesses, but the lack of leftovers really hurts, imo. Mega Charizard Y is only notable because of Drought.

Aggron is also an awkward case. It receives a tremendous boost in defense, thanks to 230 base Defense and ability Filter, but it loses out on Rock Head + STAB Head Smash. I probably wont find myself using Aggron because all the other Mega Pokemon are excellent. Abomasnow and Ampharos are other slow Pokemon that may see some action in TR teams, but struggle otherwise.

Scizor is another disappointing case, since it hasn't received notable boost in power to justify losing Choice Band / Life Orb.

Other than the obvious Mega Gengar Lucario, Blaziken, Kangaskhan, Absol, Mawile, Tyranitar, Houndoom, Manectric, and Banette stand out for me.

Lucario receives an upgrade on Attack and Speed, and its power is even further bolstered by Adaptability. With Close Combat, Bullet Punch, and Crunch it has flawless coverage despite the recent additions of Fairy-types. Blaziken is in the same boat with Speed Boost further bolstering its beefed up offensive stats, and has a solid Fire STAB to deal with most Fairy-types and Aegislash. Mega Medicham is overshadowed by these two power houses.

Kangaskhan and Tyranitar make particularly good use of the defensive stat boosts, because of their high base HP. Despite Kangaskhan's "average" base 125 Attack stat, thanks to Parental Bond all of its attacks essentially receives a double Life Orb boost (1.67). Its Fake Out is now a 100 base power move (including STAB). Sucker Punch is 135 bp and Return is 167 before STAB!

Prankster Banette is essentially Sableye on steroids. It can pull off Prankster Thunder Wave and Destiny Bonds to end sweeps, as well as Prankster Taunt / Sunny Day / Rain Dance. Ghost-types in general are much better in XY thanks to Steel losing its Ghost-resistances, so I believe Banette will see some use (ok maybe not cuz Gengar ;x)

Absol will pretty much usurp Espeon's role as an offensive Magic Bouncer, thanks to its superior 150 / 115 / 115 offenses. STAB Sucker Punch will hurt a lot, and it can use Iron Tail for Fairy-types. Magic Bounce and superior Speed are two things Absol have going for it over Lucario.

Houndoom and Manectric both have amazing special offensive prowess with their 110+ base Speed and 135+ Special Attack. They both have some nifty abilities in Solar Power and Intimidate, too. They may face some competition from Gengar, but I believe Houndoom and Manectric undergoes significant buffs to see some play in OU.

Mawile, too, undergoes a drastic transformation through Mega Evolution, so people will most likely use it a lot. It's low Speed and low HP are rather counterproductive for its newfound bulk and power, so I am rather skeptical about its success in OU.

Last edited:
I'm giving my opinion on some of the Megas that have been announced

Mega Alakazam, (Psychic), 55/50/65/175/85/150, Trace
: I think that in this case the Mega is worse than the normal evolution, mainly because it loses its ability Magic Guard. This allowed him to run a Focus Shash and not have to worry about entry hazards, or weather damage, making him an amazing revenge killer. It could also run a life orb set without taking any recoil damage, easily baiting a Focus Sash and packing quite a bigger punch. This combined with the heavy competition it will have with the other Megas, giving that you can have only one, i see Alakazam having very little to none competitive play

Mega Gengar, (Ghost/Poison), 65/60/80/170/95/130, Shadow Tag
: Well, the most impressive improvent of a Mega comes from this pokemon. It not only got pretty amazing stats distribution, but it also got one of the most amazing abilities this game has to offer in Shadow Tag. This, combined with his amazing speed and special attack make him one of the best revenge killers in the game. Just the thought of having chandelure with this ability was a scary proposition, even with the 4x weakness to Stealth Rock and being Pursuit trappable. Now we have a pokemon that doesn't need a choice scarf to do that job thanks to an amazing 130 speed stats and packs an amazing punch. I really dont see him staying in OU, and just heading for the Uber's territory, where despite having a lower BST than most of the other Uber's Megas, i expect him to have quite a lot of competitve play

Mega Scizor, (Bug/Steel), 70/150/140/65/100/75, Technician: Well, the king of OU. I have mixed feelings about this one. I think the lack of an item, really hurts him, this coupled with the fact that the stat distribution on this Mega favored his defensive side more than his offensive side. This means that the guy that used to be an amazing revenge killer and scouter, having bullet punch and U-turn, in conjuntion with a choice band, simply disappers when its Mega evolution comes into play. But not all is lost, given than the defensive boost it got, favors the bulky Sword Dance set. I think that this set is actually better with the Mega than with its normal evolution, allowing Scizor to become a pretty decent revenge killer, but also an amazing late game sweeper, once the pokemon that resist buller punch are dispatched. I expect Scizor to be an usable OU mega, but not one of the most used ones

Mega Lucario, (Fighting/Steel), 70/145/90/140/70/110, Adaptability: And the last one im doing for now, Lucario. Im pretty happy with the stat distribution than Lucario got, and pretty excited about his new ability. The main role of Lucario last generation was that of a late game sweeper, and decent revenge killer. Extreme Speed allowed him to kill any pokemon that was low enough, and late game, if he managed to get a Sword Dance off, he was able to decimate pokemons with Close Combat that were bulky but slower than him, and was also able to finish off pokemon that were maybe faster than him or scarfed with some prior damage and Extreme Speed. His mega pretty much enhances every aspect of the most popular Lucario set of Gen V. His improved speed allow him to outspeed a lot more of the competition and take advantage of Close Combat in situation where we would have had to recur to Extreme Speed. This is where his ability come into play, Adaptability allow his stabs to do quit a lot more damage, making him an amazing threat. I expect Lucario to stay in OU and be one of the most used Megas in the tier

That's it for now, excuse my english as it is not my mother language

Regards

Absol will pretty much usurp Espeon's role as an offensive Magic Bouncer, thanks to its superior 150 / 115 / 115 offenses. STAB Sucker Punch will hurt a lot, and it can use Iron Tail for Fairy-types.
Adding to Absol possibly providing better synergy to offensive teams Absol is notably not pursuit weak, helping to add somewhat to the longevity.

I think mega is only useful if a) good ability change and b) bulk.

If your relying on megas to be pure offense then Choice or Life are better alternatives.

Also, remember the turn the mega is transformed the speed value that it used for that turn is it's previous speed. Also, with Gengar it seems people can switch out the same turn that it mega evolves.

I'm just gonna touch on the less popular megas that people aren't talking about.

I really like M Gyarados and Mawile since it basically has 2 abilities with Intimidate. Gyarados has the bulk and typing that can let it dragon dance and sweep. Mawile has bulk and typing with the ability to sucker punch people for high damage after a swords dance.

Kangiskhan seems interesting with it's 1.67 dmg passive and a lot of people forget to realize it doubles attack effects for example you can use Power-up Punch to deal damage and gain +2 attack.

Last edited:
Mega Aggron?

Regular Aggron has base 180 Def but was set back due to a bad typing. Now everyone can agree that losing it's Rock-typing is a blessing for a mon this defensive, add Filter to that and you got yourself some hell of a defensive behemoth that will be hard to be OHKOed on the physical side. No leftovers/recovery might set it back a little but Wish support can aid it's cause. It can form a good defensive core with Sylveon for example as the latter covers the special side and can wishpass to it while Aggron covers Sylveon's weaknesses. Putting both on your team will also keep pretty much all dragons at bay.

I'm not sure how it's exact stats will be (I think an estimate was posted somewhere but I cant find or remember it) but I expect the boost will focus on Atk and Def. Regular Aggron already has 110 Atk, so a defensive Mega Aggron set will be anything but a sitting duck as it gets EdgeQuake coverage along it's Steel STAB while also getting good support moves in Dragon Tail/Roar, Stealth Rock, Metal Burst, Taunt and Thunder Wave. Especially Metal Burst is something that catches my attention as Mega Aggron will be able to live quite an array of SE hits which it can use to deal a shitload of damage to the opponent.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Pocket said:
Alakazam, Garchomp, Heracross got shafted by Mega Evolution. Alakazam loses Magic Guard and cannot hold Focus Sash / Life Orb; Garchomp's Speed drops to a pitiful 92; and Heracross also loses its Speed and gains a seemingly useless ability Skill Link.
Actually, Mega Garhcomp is one of the most interesting MEvos, as instead of just becoming a tad better at his role with his MEvo, it has gone to a different direction by forfeiting any sweeping potential to focus solely on wallbreaking. I have mentioned this before, but Mega Garchomp in sand is the ultimate wallbreaker. It doesn't take sand damage, resists SR, is immune to Thunder Wave, has incredible bulk and good resistances to switch in, doesn't suffer LO recoil, and doesn't overly rely on stat dropping or locking moves such as Draco Meteor and Outrage, respectively. And of course, under sand he can 2HKO the entire metagame, while achieving impressive feats such as OHKOing 252 / 0 Blissey after SR with EQ. So, just by putting this beast on your team, you have most defensive cores and teams covered, leaving your team free to focus on other things such as pivots, entry hazards, rapid spin, and sweepers.

Mega Aggron is a good tank but receives fierce competition from Landorus-T, which has Leftovers, U-turn, and a much better typing for tanking physical attacks.

Mega Scizor will hopefully make SpD SD sets very viable, as the added bulk gives to Scizor the ability to check many physical attackers such as Terrakion, Mamoswine, and Tyranitar, in addition to the special attackers it already deals with. The nerf to Hidden Power Fire also greatly helps specially defensive sets, as unlike the offensive sets, the damage difference between 60 and 70 BP does make a difference and helps it avoid many OHKOs and 2HKOs. Oh, and in case Polioted remains in OU, uninvested Mega Scizor can now outspeed uninvested Politoed and OHKO it with a +2 Bug Bite.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Also, remember the turn the mega is transformed the speed value that it used for that turn is it's previous speed. Also, with Gengar it seems people can switch out the same turn that it mega evolves.
Wow I did not know about that. This makes it even trickier to judge the viability of these Mega Pokemon. Garchomp may actually not be too bad for that one turn it possesses 102 base Speed.

EDIT: touche, alexwolf - with stall seemingly more viable now, Mega Garchomp can sure come in handy. It's slower than Kyurem-B and other dragon wallbreakers, but it has the bulk to win the war of attrition.

radica said:
I really like M Gyarados and Mawile since it basically has 2 abilities with Intimidate.
Gyarados is another interesting one... it's cool to think how Gyarados can trade its quad Electric weakness and Rock weakness for Bug- and Fighting-type weakness at a moment's notice.
radica said:
Kangiskhan seems interesting with it's 1.67 dmg passive and a lot of people forget to realize it doubles attack effects for example you can use Power-up Punch to deal damage and gain +2 attack.
Ah yes, forgot about the Power-up Punch. Even more reason to use Mega Kangaskhan maybe

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Just out of curiosity by mega blaze, do you mean that speed boost blaze will be legal in ou again? Or is it only blaze variants?

More on less talked megas.

Gardevoir though more offensively weak then a normal item can still become and offensive power house if it gets a good switch in to a fighting/psy/dragon pokemon to calm mind and attack making use of the 100 speed on the next turn.

Even with weather nerfs Charizard Y can still be useful in weather teams as it acts like a better Ninetales starter as it to can also know Solar Beam. Worst case scenario Charizard can still be switched out and the Drought can set up Venasaur.

If Blastoise Mega Launcher (50% more damage) boosts Hydro Pump and learns Dragon Pulse/Aura Sphere we could see it as well.

Abomasnow losing leftovers and trading away 30 speed for 130 more stats in other areas give it great bulk and power to do a better job at what it already does: Sub Seed and Mixed Attacker.

On an unrelated note you would think M Absol would gain flying or fairy with how it seems to gain wings.

Last edited:
I think Gengar will be one of the more popular Mega Evos, but not Uber as some are predicting because of that 1 turn delay it has in actually Mega Evolve gives you a chance to switch in a Pursuiter. Banette and Absol will also have that problem, since they wont be able to take advantage of their new abilities right away, and with their frail defenses probably not last a turn to most OU pokemon (unless you start packing protect).

I think Gengar will be one of the more popular Mega Evos, but not Uber as some are predicting because of that 1 turn delay it has in actually Mega Evolve gives you a chance to switch in a Pursuiter. Banette and Absol will also have that problem, since they wont be able to take advantage of their new abilities right away, and with their frail defenses probably not last a turn to most OU pokemon (unless you start packing protect).
Which is why it's iffy, to effectively use Mega Gengar's ability you basically have to start off with him to allow him to transform but then your opponent will be able to react and plan accordingly knowing that you have Shadow Tag.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Even with weather nerfs Charizard Y can still be useful in weather teams as it acts like a better Ninetales starter as it to can also know Solar Beam. Worst case scenario Charizard can still be switched out and the Drought can set up Venasaur.
4x weak to sr could hardly be called "better" than ninetales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)