Other Viable Megas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also take into account the Weather-ability nerf (5 turns).
I see Mcario being solid OU and perhaps suspect tested to Ubers. Fairies will have a strong impact on the meta game and having a fairy killer will surely help (that priority adaptability bullet punch).
Also take into account the psychological aspect Megas bring to the table. Imagine having a Gengar without Gengarite: People will switch out right away, thinking you have Mega Gengar, fearing shadow tag. The only limit to Mega-Evo is the number of current Megas in-battle, not the number of possible megas in the team.
I dunno, many of the Megas seem forced and lackluster. Like they tried to give non-evos/1 stage-evos a second chance and appease the wants of the fandom by giving the popular 2 stage evos another stage.

Many people are raving about Gengar, but keep in mind it loses it's Ground-type immunity. What do you guys think?

Still think that despite its loss of a ground-type immunity it'll be strong. Chandelure certainly seemed to get by without it, so I can imagine MGengar also managing something similar.

Just found out Mawile does learn Play Rough around lvl 59. Also, doesn't mawile look more like a Fairy/Dark pokemon?

isnt protect/detect basically mandatory if you want to at least get your mega into the battle? That takes at least 1 move slot away and makes these pokemon less viable immediately. Unless I am getting the mechanics wrong what do you guys think about this?

isnt protect/detect basically mandatory if you want to at least get your mega into the battle? That takes at least 1 move slot away and makes these pokemon less viable immediately. Unless I am getting the mechanics wrong what do you guys think about this?
You can mega-evolve and attack on the same turn.

My predictions:
Probably viable:

Mega-Charizard-X, Mega-Blastoise, Mega-Venusaur, Mega-Kangaskhan, Mega-Aggron, Mega-Garchomp, Mega-Aerodactyl, Mega-Pinsir.

Extra viable:

Mega-Mewtwo (both), Mega-Blaziken, Mega-Gengar, Mega-Mawile, Mega-Medicham, Mega-Lucario, Mega-Alakazam.

Don't stone that:

Mega-Gyarados, Mega-Heracross.

Last edited:
Eh, its kind of stupid to predict bans and tiers this early.... We don't even know what the suspect system will be this go around. Honestly the power creep seemed to have slowed down tremendously this gen so I think it is too early to look at gen 6 pokemon bans under the full picture.

Eh, its kind of stupid to predict bans and tiers this early
Why? I can still make a prediction later, it's not set in stone. What's really stupid is that there are two pages of people doing the same shit, but only I'm getting this.

Aside from Blaziken and Gengar, the next most ridiculous mega is probably Lucario, it will probably make Terrakion drop to UU. Bullet Punch has the same BP as Espeed and Close Combat will kill everything. It's stats and ability will make it OP.

I'm really curious about what impact the threat of a Mega will have. Scizor and Garchomp become a lot less predictable when you see one on a foe's team and know that it could flip its stats around and change to a vastly different playstyle than the standard one. I'm thinking their Megas will be less common than their regular forms, but still very viable options - as opposed to stuff like Absol and Manectric, where if you see it in a higher tier, you know damn well what it's holding.

I think Mega Alakazam is getting a bit of a bad rap. It loses Magic Guard, but it can hit pretty damn hard even without an item, and it's also got 150 base Spe without needing a Choice Scarf. Not many Pokemon can say that.

Why? I can still make a prediction later, it's not set in stone. What's really stupid is that there are two pages of people doing the same shit, but only I'm getting this.
It is, however, directly against the rules to make predictions about bans right now.

I have not seen a lot of discussion on Mega Pinsir. While it definitely isn't among the top Megas, it at least got some tools that will let it step out of Heracross' shadow (especially given how underwhelming Mega Heracross is). Unlike other Bug/Flying types, Pinsir is not Bug/Flying when he switches in, greatly alleviating his Stealth Rock issues. Meanwhile, unlike Refrigerate Aurorus and Pixillate Mega Gardevoir, Mega Pinsir actually has a good movepool to abuse with Aerilate. Double-Edge becomes a pseudo-Brave Bird, while Quick Attack becomes the only Flying-typed priority outside of Talonflame. Mega Pinsir also has Close Combat, which combines with Brave Bird Double-Edge for some fantastic coverage. It really has no reason to run X-Scissor. A set of Swords Dance / Double-Edge / Quick Attack / Close Combat could be very powerful.

EDIT: Another thing is that Megas add an extra element of prediction to the game. It is very possible and even likely for any given team to have 2-4 mons that are capable of evolving, thus leaving the opponent guessing at which one is the Mega. This simultaneously acts as a knock against mons that aren't viable outside of their Mega form. If you see a Mawile, Manectric, or Pinsir on an OU team, it is almost guaranteed that they are the Mega, even if other candidates are present.

EDIT2: Another possibility is the idea of someone running two Mega Stones on a team, as there is nothing preventing the player from doing that. While you can only evolve one, it can allow you some flexibility in choosing which one to evolve based on your opponent's team makeup and current battle conditions.

Last edited:
EDIT2: Another possibility is the idea of someone running two Mega Stones on a team, as there is nothing preventing the player from doing that. While you can only evolve one, it can allow you some flexibility in choosing which one to evolve based on your opponent's team makeup and current battle conditions.
You lose an extra item that could vitally change the flow of the battle. While it's a great idea in theory, and it could work in practice if the pokemon mega-evolving are good enough without the stone (Lucario and Blaziken, possibly? Assuming the latter doesn't hit Ubers, of course), in practice it means that one pokemon per battle can't use an item, and that's critical.

You'd be far better off just running two Pokemon with common Mega Evos on a team, one with an ordinary item (perhaps not LO) and trying to hide which one has the Mega Stone until you've cleared out its checks.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You'd be far better off running two Mega Stone users on a team, and trying to hide which one has the Mega Stone until you've cleared out its checks.
Not really, since then you have a 'mon without a usable item.

So anyone wanna discuss Abomasnow?

It basically loses Leftovers and weather nerf for an increase in stats 90/132/105/132/105/30.

In lower tiers? Maybe. I don't know what that thing has for Dragon STAB, and Dragon isn't as good as it was (it can't claim near omnipresent neutral coverage anymore because of FAIRIES!), but the stats aren't bad. It only has four weaknesses, but two are proven offensive types (Ice and Ground). So will it break OU? No. I think Manectric has a slightly better shot at that. But will it be good in UU, or even RU? Maybe.

As for Abomasnow... the lost speed might be a good thing, because you always win an inducer war pretty much with 100% accuracy. But weather doesn't mean as much anymore, and Hail never meant much in the first place. It has offensive potential, but it might not be able to use it.

Ampharos I believe has been confirmed to pick up Dragon Pulse. Unfortunately for it and Charizard X, I doubt either of them will be able to learn Draco Meteor due to not being Dragon-types outside of battle. This is a bigger knock against Charizard X than Ampharos, as Zard could've run a deadly mixed set with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)