Gen 6 Victim of the Week - ORAS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
If the intent behind using Mega-Metagross is to hit Ogre, Groudon and Bird, you're doing something wrong e.e

e: To rephrase, it should be more concerned about weakening PDon and hitting Latis than doing 45% to Ogre and Ho-Oh.
You are running pointless coverage to achieve same feat, no? Pursuit is still there, and note i said zhb has good neutral coverage. Still weakens pdon without giving many things free switch once eq is revealed and priority BP, pursuit and STAB mash weaken latis enough, believe me.

edit

Krauersaut you dont run earthquake, zen goes there and that's what I'm saying since we started

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
You are running pointless coverage to achieve same feat, no? Pursuit is still there, and note i said zhb has good neutral coverage. Still weakens pdon without giving many things free switch once eq is revealed and priority BP, pursuit and STAB mash weaken latis enough, believe me.
if we assume pursuit, earthquake and meteor mash as a constant on all mega gross variants, then we're left with a filler slot. you can run zen headbutt in this slot, which does misc damage here and there, or you can run ice punch, which smacks mega salamence (who otherwise goes to town setting up on megagross). i mean, what does zen headbutt really accomplish? it's not gonna make nearly as much of an impact on the game as being able to have one more mon that the biggest threat in the metagame can't set up on.

e: also i stand by hone claws as a fun late game cleaning move ;]

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi so this mon is viable, please start discussing checks (as in real checks, not seismitoad) for it instead of complaining uselessly about the set

though ftr the standard set is mash/bp/earthquake/pursuit | thunderpunch, you need eq to not be pdon bait (a huge niche of this mon is that its a steel that isnt pdon bait) and tpunch is perfectly legit if you would rather smack ho-oh/ogre to open up xerneas clean or something, tpunch also hits skarm which is handy

hone claws sucks :[

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
hi so this mon is viable, please start discussing checks (as in real checks, not seismitoad) for it instead of complaining uselessly about the set

though ftr the standard set is mash/bp/earthquake/pursuit | thunderpunch, you need eq to not be pdon bait (a huge niche of this mon is that its a steel that isnt pdon bait) and tpunch is perfectly legit if you would rather smack ho-oh/ogre to open up xerneas clean or something, tpunch also hits skarm which is handy

hone claws sucks :[
if the opponent's xerneas checks consist of ho-oh and/or kyogre-primal, you could win w/o using metagross eZpZ, but I digress.

may reserve something later, fwiw, i do enjoy using mega-metagross as a nichemon on some of my teams.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! The OP has been updated, and we are ready to move onto the next week. I have been thinking about re-using some earlier victims with different sets to get more ways to beat key threats in this meta, but I think we should focus on getting each threat once before we do that. With that in mind, this week's victim is Mega-Metagross!

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt / Earthquake
- Thunder Punch / Pursuit

This thing is slightly uncommon, which is reasonable, but it still has some nice niches as a pursuit trapper, Xern check and a heavy hitter that is immune to Toxic. I hope to see some good, viable and creative checks and counters to this guy, which is very possible to find! Good luck!
Is it just me or does it have too much EVs?

Anyway,

Giratina-Origin @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 Atk / 248 Def / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Shadow Sneak
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Force

Laughs at anything Mega Metagross can do and OHKOes back with Shadow Force.

Calculations:
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Giratina-O: 169-199 (38.3 - 45.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Griseous Orb Giratina-O Shadow Force vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 342-404 (103.3 - 122%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Yes, he did have too many EVs. His speed should only be at 96, and HP at 160. That outspeeds base 90's while still maintaining good attack and decent bulk. Glad to see some good discussion going on!

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Posting scizor as a COUNTER
Idk what's the standard set for this cuz I hate this tier, but just eyeballing it you have

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Pursuit
- Toxic

Takes absolutely zero from anything metagross has and slowly whittles it down if meta chooses to stay in, or just pursuit spam to eventually win. Also apparently this mon is good at checking xern (since they have no more hp fire) and latis. Pretty shit mon in general due to being bait for common threats in ubers but w/e. Scizor gets the job done in beating meta easily bar like thunderpunch full para bullshit.

252 Atk Mega Metagross Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 89-105 (25.9 - 30.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

literally zero damage

Nominating Arceus Ground as Counter

Arceus Ground
@ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Hp / 252 Spe or 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgement
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Calm Mind/Will-o-wisp

Arceus Ground is a good counter to Mega Metagross. I'm not sure which spread is better, but both spread can counter Mega Metagross. Max SpA Groundceus can take one hit from Mega Gross and cleanly Ohko back with Judgement. Max hp Groundceus can take any 2 hits, (Meteor Mash has a low chance of 2hko), proceed to burn or recover spam untill it misses then out speed and 2hko back.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ground: 199-235 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ground: 199-235 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Judgment vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 282-332 (82.6 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Judgment vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 342-404 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Off-topic: Guys, is there any specific source where u get your sprites from?
Edit: Thanks a lot ApplepieFTW

Last edited:
Nominating Arceus Ground as Counter

Arceus Ground
@ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Hp / 252 Spe or 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgement
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Calm Mind/Will-o-wisp

Arceus Ground is a good counter to Mega Metagross. I'm not sure which spread is better, but both spread can counter Mega Metagross. Max SpA Groundceus can take one hit from Mega Gross and cleanly Ohko back with Judgement. Max hp Groundceus can take any 2 hits, (Meteor Mash has a low chance of 2hko), proceed to burn or recover spam untill it misses then out speed and 2hko back.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ground: 199-235 (44.8 - 52.9%) -- 27.3% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Ground: 199-235 (52.2 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Judgment vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 282-332 (82.6 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Earth Plate Arceus-Ground Judgment vs. 160 HP / 0 SpD Mega Metagross: 342-404 (100.2 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Off-topic: Guys, is there any specific source where u get your sprites from?

right click>view image to view the url of where the image is hosted at, you can often derive the address of the site from that. those 'fancy' sprites are from pokestadium dex and the 3d models are often the PS models. minisprites are from the serebii dex =]

Thanks for all the suggestions! This week has been rather interesting to say the least, and it is also pretty cool that there were some discussion on which moves and sets was the most optimal for Metagross. Anyways, with the more uncommon poke out of the way, we are ready to move into the next week with something more fun. This week's victim is Rayquaza!

Rayquaza @ Life Orb / Lum Berry
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail

or

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
EVs:252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake

While not exactly being the most common thing in the meta, Rayquaza is still a really fearsome sweeper capable of muscling trough some teams, given the proper support and opportunities. Note that Rayquaza usually also packs Extremespeed, but for the sake of making this challange harder, I've chosen to exclude it this time.

Also, I'll let you guys vote for what pokemon you want for the victim of the next week. You can vote for: Dialga, Shaymin and Kyurem-W
Good Luck! and I hope you enjoy this week's victim!

Last edited:
Lugia as a Hard Check / Soft Counter

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Roost
- Toxic / Thunder Wave
- Whirlwind / Dragon Tail
- Aeroblast / Substitute

Lugia can tank anything from Rayquaza and induce status to it back (if LO), phaze it away if Rayquaza tries to boost its stats and outlive it by constantly Roosting off the damage it has taken. Furthermore, Lugia isn't concerned by Extremespeed (if Rayquaza happens to carry that move, which will be most of the time) as it's always outsped by Rayquaza before any DDs or SDs. The only thing keeping Lugia from being a full Rayquaza counter is the omnipresent Stealth Rock and its reliance on Mulitscale. For example, Lugia is always 2HKOed by LO Rayquaza after SR. Once the rocks are gone, Lugia then completely stops Rayquaza from performing its sweeping duties.
252+ Atk Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 72-85 (17.3 - 20.4%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 108-127 (25.9 - 30.5%) -- 1.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 144-171 (34.6 - 41.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 94-111 (22.5 - 26.6%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 140-166 (33.6 - 39.9%) -- 26.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia: 187-220 (44.9 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lugia: 187-222 (44.9 - 53.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (SR = RIP Lugia)
0 SpA Lugia Aeroblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rayquaza: 109-129 (31 - 36.7%) -- 64.6% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Lugia Aeroblast vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Rayquaza: 162-192 (46.1 - 54.7%) -- 58.6% chance to 2HKO (gurantedd 2HKO after SR)

Last edited:
Damn, this is one tough guy to handle, at least on paper...
Nominating, Arceus Rock as Hard Check

Arceus Rock @ Stone Plate
EVs: 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgement
- Will-o-wisp
- Recover
- Calm Mind/Earth Power

The God in his stone cold form, gives much less damn about DD Rayquaza than most other pokemon in the Uber realm. Rockceus resists Dragon Ascent and V-Create and ohko Rayquaza. While Outrage can 2hko Rockceus, Rayquaza can not Ohko Rockceus with Outrage after one dragon dance. Meaning, if Rockceus does not comes in on Outrage, it is outspeedinga and ohkoing the next turn. Another option for Rayquaza is going for dd, in which case Rockceus will live one +1 outrage and ohko Rayquaza. Non lo versions can even be burnt and recover stalled as well.

252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Rock: 242-286 (54.5 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Outrage vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus-Rock: 364-429 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

4 SpA Stone Plate Arceus-Rock Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rayquaza: 330-390 (94 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Last edited:
Nice input, Minority Suspect! I'll keep the other set there, for challenge, but I'll add your set because it looks really nice as a bonus to the challange.
If you already have made a check/counter on the old set, you won't need to update it!

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

If Rocks aren't up, Arceus-Fairy can survive any Ray's moves at +1, then OHKO back with STAB Judgment. Recover and Will-O-Wisp allows Arceus to check other physical attackers and heal up, Defog for utility and Toxic to prevent it from becoming Ho-oh / Primal Groundon bait.

Calculations:
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 144 Def Arceus-Fairy: 352-417 (79.2 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Pixie Plate Arceus-Fairy Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Rayquaza: 330-390 (94 - 111.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

NabboCheTesta

Gniubbo come sempre
Mega Aerodactyl as a soft counter
Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rock Slide
- Roost
- filler
- stuff

Doose r duh calx

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Aerodactyl: 248-292 (68.1 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(248, 251, 253, 257, 260, 263, 265, 269, 272, 274, 277, 281, 283, 286, 289, 292)

0 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Rock Slide vs. -1 0 HP / 0 Def Rayquaza: 342-404 (97.4 - 115%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
(342, 348, 350, 354, 360, 362, 366, 372, 374, 378, 384, 386, 390, 396, 398, 404)

Plz change this set:
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- V-Create
- Outrage

to:
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Fire Blast / Overheat
- Earthquake / Aqua Tail

IMO, both sets accomplishes the same thing (strong sweeping potential with excellent moves to bypass checks). However, my set lets you to beat steels without making yourself slow. EQ/ATail kills rock pokemon and atail is an useful lure move to kill pdon from 100%. eq is better if you use it with overheat imo.

Thanks for all the suggested Checks and Counters and optimal sets for Rayquaza. I really enjoyed people coming here with some optimized sets with their own unique way of playing. I have updatet the OP and we're ready to move onto the next week. Since nobody voted on this week's victim, I just picked one myself that I thought would be fun to do. This week's victim is Shaymin-Sky!

Shaymin-Sky @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Substitute / Earth Power
- Leech Seed / Hidden Power [Rock]

Very high speed, descent SpA, and a stupid high chance to flinch you. This couple with a 120 base power STAB that also has a high chance to lower the defending poke's SpD by 2, is what makes this thing a very annoying, clutch and sometimes frustrating pokemon to play against. While the Life Orb may not be the most optimal (for either set), it gives him a little extra fire-power, but note that if you use this, then it can be counterproductive and can easier be outstalled, which is why I slashed the Leftovers. Another fun variant to use is the SubSeed variant, which also can be tough to beat, which is also included in the above set. You should note that on the non-sub seed variant, he can easily use Healing Wish for better team support overall. You can choose to focus primarily on one of the sets, but the more your check beats, the better. Have fun!

Last edited:
Ho-Oh as a Counter (only a check if SR are up)

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Atk / 52 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Ho-Oh takes little to nothing from any Skymin set (bar HP Rock variants) due to its great special bulk x4 resistance to Grass-type moves and easily OHKOes it back with its STAB move of choice (however, Sacred Fire is probably the best STAB move to spam due to its 50% burn chance if Skymin switches out). STABs are obvious, Earthquake is for Heatran, Zekrom and Rock-types in general, and Sleep Talk provides a way for Ho-Oh to deal with Darkrai as its STABs OHKOes it and Earthquake severely dents it.
252 SpA Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh: 30-36 (7.2 - 8.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever (possible 6HKO after Stealth Rock)
252 SpA Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh: 76-91 (18.3 - 21.9%) -- possible 5HKO (guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock)
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh: 39-47 (9.3 - 11.3%) -- possible 9HKO (possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock)
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh: 99-118 (23.8 - 28.4%) -- 96.4% chance to 4HKO (89.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock) The reason why Ho-Oh is only a check if SR are up
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Hidden Power Rock vs. 248 HP / 52 SpD Ho-Oh: 213-255 (51.3 - 61.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (watch out for that!)
196+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Sacred Fire vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin-S: 656-774 (192.3 - 226.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
196+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin-S: 786-926 (230.4 - 271.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
I wouldn't slash HP Fire and Earth Power together; apart from HP Fire's ability to bop Ferrothorn, they are redundant. I understand leaving out Healing Wish because this is a victim of the week, but I'd probably slash HP Rock instead of HP Fire.

Mega Mewtwo Y as a Check

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind

This rather decent Pokemon can easily take one Life Orb-boosted Seed Flare courtesy of its excellent base 120 Special Defense stat and good 106 HP. It can also outspeed and OHKO it back with Ice Beam. If you are lucky enough to switch it into a HP Fire / Rock, you can probably afford to set up a CM and threaten whatever the hell will inevitably switch in, like Kyogre or Ho-Oh. Focus Blast is useful to hit teammates that you'll find on sand teams that Shaymin is sometimes used on as an offensive Ground immunity / SD Groundceus check.

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Gengar-mega (Check)
gengar-mega.gif

Gengar-Mega @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast / Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball

Gengar-mega is a nice check to shaymin-sky as it is faster than it and can OHKO shaymin-sky with a single sludge wave. Of course regular gengar is not faster than shaymin-sky, which is why there is protect on the set. Gengar can switch in and can survive an air slash, then just protect to become faster than shaymin-sky after mega evolving and then kill it with a single sludge wave.

Calculations:

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Gengar: 191-226 (72.9 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin-S: 480-566 (140.7 - 165.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Latias as a Counter

Latias @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 Hp / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Roost

Standard Latias. Takes pitiful damage from any of Shaymin's moves. LO Shaymin-S can not kill Latias with the combination of Seed Flare and air slash after sp def drop, while Latias ohkos with Draco and 2hkos with psyshock without the rocks. Latias can also recover the damage if the opposing Shaymin is trying sub seed via air slash. She is also immune to their most common coverage move Earth Power.

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. +1 212 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 64-75 (18 - 21.1%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. -1 212 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 181-214 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+1 120 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin-S: 321-378 (94.1 - 110.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+1 120 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shaymin-S: 198-234 (58 - 68.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail / Whirlwind
- Aeroblast

Provided 60% is not equal to 100%, Lugia laughs at anything Shaymin-S can do. Then, it can choose to heal up with Roost, spread paralysis with Thunder Wave or OHKO Shaymin-S with Aeroblast (high chance after 2 rounds of LO recoil or Rocks up).

252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Air Slash vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Lugia: 51-61 (12.2 - 14.6%) -- possibly the worst move ever
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Multiscale Lugia: 41-49 (9.8 - 11.7%) -- possibly the worst move ever
0 SpA Lugia Aeroblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Shaymin-S: 252-296 (73.9 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)