Victim of the Week: OM Edition [2v2 Doubles - Infernape & Mega Alakazam]

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well done guys! They are listed in order of reliability.
Counters: Goodra, Primordial Sea Genesect
Checks: Chansey (Chance to 2HKO after SR)

Monotype!

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe (with Earthquake) 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 HP (With Roost)
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Outrage
- Earthquake / Roost

Charizard X is a huge and viable threat. Often Charizard Y is chosen instead as it's more useful for the team, but that doesn't mean Charizard X is a pushover. It has the dangerous setup move Dragon Dance, after which it can sweep a lot of types. Even unboosted its high BP attacks are very strong as both its STAB moves are boosted by Tough Claws. Lets see what you use to counter it. I'd especially like to see Pokemon for monotypes that have trouble with it. Water and Rock types may counter it, but their mono's won't have a large problem with CharX anyway!

Last edited:
Listing Altaria-mega as a counter

I usually like to find the pokemon that counters a set "the most" and altaria mega is what i came up with. Dragon / fire is quite a fantastic coverage and it's the first one i could think of that resists this combo and isn't weak to eq / brick break (wich is a very viable, tough claws boosted move for charX as it can hit ballontran and deal more damage to TTar).

2 Sets are equally good counters so I'll post both if it's ok with everybody.

Bulky mega Altaria
Altaria-Mega @ Altariaite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold / Impish Nature
- Return / Hyper Voice
- Roost
- Heal Bell
- Earthquake / Flamethrower

This set takes advantage of Mega Altaria's typing, increased bulk, and great supportive movepool to assist its allies. Mega Altaria's typing gives it unique resistances and an immunity to Dragon-type attacks. Hyper Voice and Return are your primary attacking moves as they lack Pokemon immune to the attacks while gaining a Pixilate boost. Roost helps keep Altaria alive while Heal Bell cures status ailments that could otherwise plague Mega Altaria and its teammates. The final moveslot has a lot of potential options. Roar is a great option for preventing Mega Altaria from being set up on. You can complement Mega Altaria's Fairy-type STAB with either Flamethrower when using Hyper Voice or Earthquake when using Return.

+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 144-171 (40.6 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Altaria: 97-114 (27.4 - 32.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
0 SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 157-186 (52.8 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Altaria Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 144-170 (48.4 - 57.2%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO

So basicly, no matter what moves chari uses, altaria can always switch on it and kill him before getting killed.

Mega special attacker
Altaria-Mega @ Altariaite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Though Altaria lacks a move that boosts its Special Attack, a special Mega Altaria set is also viable. Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice is the main STAB attack, and Draco Meteor, while not as spammable, provides Mega Altaria with a raw Dragon-type offensive presence. Fire Blast is almost mandatory coverage for this set because both of Mega Altaria's STAB moves are walled by Steel-types, and so this covers that drawback. Roost affords Mega Altaria staying power to complement its great bulk and slew of important resistances.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 132-156 (37.2 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+1 252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 198-234 (55.9 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Altaria Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 474-560 (159.5 - 188.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Either you switch on an attack and you ohko before chari 2hkoe's, or you switch while he sets up and you kill him while he doesn't. Simple stuff.

Credits to smogon for the sets.

I'd like to suggest Crustle as a Check to the bulkier zard x but revenge killer to the offensive one. Bug monos especially have a hard time trying to deal with zard x so thought i should talk about it.
it's a fun shell smash set that is very effective vs fire and flying monos which bugs have troubles with.

Crustle @ Salac Berry/Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- X-Scissor
- Stone Edge/Rock Blast
- Earthquake

Basically that Crustle is able to beat many sets of chari x (provided the sturdy is intact of course), Adamant nature for maximum damage, rock blast needs 3 hits to guarantee the KO on the adamant 252 Atk 252 Spe set, and stone edge is guaranteed obviously as long as it doesn't miss :x
Salac is to outspeed +1 Adamant Chari x, lum if u want to beat the bulkier set that might carry Will-O-Wisp.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Crustle: 237-279 (84.3 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Naturally, Flare blitz will always activate the salac berry whether chari is +1 or not, and crustle will be able to smash and retaliate with a rock move.

+2 252+ Atk Crustle Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 402-474 (135.3 - 159.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Crustle Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 524-620 (176.4 - 208.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Crustle Rock Blast (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 402-474 (111.9 - 132%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Edit: 1st post hype!

Last edited:
I have hardly played Monotype, but let me try my hand at this. Listing Hippowdon as a Counter.

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

In most teams with Hippowdon, it's usually the Stealth Rocker. However, give that responsibility to something else on your team (Which should be easier considering the options in a Ground Mono team) and you allow it to have an incredible gift in Toxic. Rocky Helmet + Toxic + Sand Stream + Stealth Rock + Flare Blitz recoil, which ends with Slack Off + Whirlwind, and Charizard is all but dead. On the off chance it's alive in the end, you can always utilize Earthquake. But really, you wouldn't have to.

I'm lazy to do the calculations now, but Flare Blitz 3HKOs. Hippowdon's Earthquake 2HKOes, but it'd do you much good to just Toxic it first while you manage to squeeze in minor damages via Sand + Rocky Helmet.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, I'm gonna say two things about this VotW.
First please add which types it is used on to counter the Pokemon.
Second, it's great and all that Ground can get a counter to Charizard Mega X, but they don't need it very much. It can't set up easily and even if it has set up a lot of Pokemon can revenge it or take a hit. Yeah, it's still a counter and will still be listed, but it will have very low priority. Try to do monotypes like Ice, Electric, Bug, Grass, Ghost or whatever other types have trouble with it.

Reactions: EV

DoW

formally Death on Wings
I'd like to suggest Kyurem-White (ice) for Check:

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
Timid/Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Flare

Kyurem-White's Dragon typing allows it to come in on even offensive Zard's Flare Blitz and tank it, assuming no Stealth Rock which can managed (if with some difficulty) via avalugg on ice teams. Meanwhile it's faster than +1 Adamant Zard if it uses a Timid nature, allowing it to KO before being hit easily. Moreover, it will tank even dragon claw from the bulkier Zard X set:
0 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kyurem-W: 312-368 (79.7 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Thus, assuming no Stealth Rock it can Counter the (rarer) bulky zard set and check the offensive set, which is far more likely to want to boost or flare blitz vs. an ice team so would have to outright predict for Kyu-W to come in.

While Draco Meteor obviously KOs (dealing around 200%), against the offensive variant Earth Power will also KO, allowing for a reasonably safe play even if Heatran is predicted to come in on the Draco, or to more reliably hit. Against flying teams, however, it should be noted that Ice Beam can only KO with around 70-80% remaining, so unless it has taken significant damage already this is not a safe play.

It should also be noted that, should Kyurem-White be rebanned for ice (as hoped by many players), Kyurem-Black will still do this job just as well, and will have an extra 10 base Defense to boot. However, on ice teams Kyurem-White is by far the more viable choice while it remains unbanned.

I have hardly played Monotype, but let me try my hand at this. Listing Hippowdon as a Counter.

Hippowdon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
- Toxic
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Earthquake

In most teams with Hippowdon, it's usually the Stealth Rocker. However, give that responsibility to something else on your team (Which should be easier considering the options in a Ground Mono team) and you allow it to have an incredible gift in Toxic. Rocky Helmet + Toxic + Sand Stream + Stealth Rock + Flare Blitz recoil, which ends with Slack Off + Whirlwind, and Charizard is all but dead. On the off chance it's alive in the end, you can always utilize Earthquake. But really, you wouldn't have to.

I'm lazy to do the calculations now, but Flare Blitz 3HKOs. Hippowdon's Earthquake 2HKOes, but it'd do you much good to just Toxic it first while you manage to squeeze in minor damages via Sand + Rocky Helmet.
I think you should slash Stealth Rock next to Toxic or remove toxic altogether from that set. On Ground mono's very few Hippowdon's actually run Toxic. Gastrodon is the preferred user of the move on Ground.

Also Rocky Helmet is low in usage on Ground, seeing use on only 2.6% of Hippo's in December The preferred item is Smooth Rock so that Sand Rush Excadrill can sweep for an extended period.

Reactions: DoW
I'd like to also suggest a check from the ghost monotype, since ghosts also have troubles vs it (there are many revenge killers but it can set up on so many things, including cofag)
Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room/Will-O-Wisp
- Will-O-Wisp/Taunt/Disable
- Night Shade
- Pain Split

Now, i know this set is most likely uncommon in mono, but i'll explain why it can be effective.
Note: Will-O-Wisp is obviously not gonna help vs chari but it's simply a must have on dusclops, could be replaced with taunt or disable if willowisp is present on other pokes in the team)
I thought about dusclops for the very simple reason being that it's literally the only pokemon in the type that does NOT get 2hkoed by any move from the offensive adamant chari x.

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops: 115-136 (40.4 - 47.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

From there you can do whatever you want pretty much, you can switch in dusclops on chari as well, and next turn u would set up a trick room then go for the pain split which will do massive damage to chari since dusclops would be at 6-10% left, or straight up painsplit, but Trick room is advised for speed control in case chari dragon dances and the fact that many ghost types are slower than chari, and obviously all of them slower after +1. After pain split, dusclops would be able to take another flare blitz (non boosted). And then it can proceed to wear it down with night shade which would then 2hko, Taunt if u feel the chari would roost, disable if u simply prefer to get rid of flare blitz which is one of the most threatening moves from chari (or even dragon claw). If all else fails, Dusclops can work as your trick room pokemon that will allow something else to KO chari such as m banette, (specs?) chandelure, etc, if for some reason dusclops doesnt survive, after a possible "mess up" with taunt/disable and potential roost on the moveset when u dont expect it etc. But yeah, that's your switch in guys :) even max hp max def cofag cant take tough claws non boosted blitz followed by mummy non boosted.

Snaquaza

KACAW
Counters: Hippowdon, Altaria Mega
Checks: Kyurem White, Crustle, Dusclops

Inverse Battle:

Porygon-Z @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Tri Attack
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave

Porygon Z is one of the strongest Pokemon in the game with Adaptability and an amazing Special Attack. Now it's horrible typing turned into an amazing one, which causes its STAB to be unresisted and it makes it extremely hard to counter, though it's easier to check. What do you use to counter this monster?

Last edited:
There's actually no reason for Porygon-Z with Adaptability to run Shadow Ball in Inverse -Tri Attack hits exactly as hard against Normal and Dark types as Shadow Ball (assuming they're not Rock, Ghost, or Steel to boost Tri Attack's damage), and there's no Dark/Normal Pokemon to push Shadow Ball past Tri Attack. It really ought to run Nasty Plot or Agility in that fourth slot, Choice Specs or no, or maybe Toxic or Hyper Beam. Something actually relevant.

I'll do a write-up on Mega Beedrill as a Check later, preferably after the set we're supposed to victimize is altered.

EDIT ok sure give it a thing that's good against Mega Beedrill in specific

Mega Beedrill is lightning fast, almost certainly running Protect anyway (Which lets it stay in on Porygon-Z if they both lead or otherwise end up in a face-off with Beedrill not yet Mega-ed, in spite of the Speed disadvantage), and has monstrous damage output and excellent momentum.

252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill U-turn vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 250-296 (80.1 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not actually a OHKO, but it does so much damage that Porygon-Z really doesn't want to stay in, and if does stay in it leaves it open to be finished off with priority or by Chansey smacking it with a Seismic Toss. Meanwhile, if Porygon-Z does switch out, Avalugg is one of the only things in the game that can effortlessly accept the hit -and then your Special attacker/Gothitelle comes in, ready to scare it out or kill it.

Alternatively, Mega Beedrill can anticipate the switch and toss out a Knock Off, which almost nothing is going to be happy taking, and then U-Turn out, assuming the enemy has no priority/their only priority is Fake Out. (Just Protect through it) This is riskier due to the possibility of Porygon-Z staying in and taking the hit (252+ Atk Beedrill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 173-204 (55.4 - 65.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), but if Mega Beedrill has taken no damage, Porygon-Z actually has a surprisingly low chance of KOing Mega Beedrill

252+ SpA Adaptability Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Beedrill: 238-280 (87.8 - 103.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

since it will lose its Specs in the process, and if Mega Beedrill does survive it's free to just U-Turn for the KO/momentum. In fact, a player happy with risks -or who invests a little bit into HP (40 HP EVs means Tri Attack can't KO, barring a crit, or alternatively 32 in Special Defense if you really want to minimize investment)- can stay in even if they aren't sure whether Porygon-Z is carrying Specs or Scarf, because Scarf will do the same surprisingly low damage, leading back to the prior situation of Mega Beedrill going for the U-Turn after a Knock Off.

Of course, it's tricky to actually switch in Mega Beedrill, since Porygon-Z can do so much damage, or throw around Thunder Waves and hope to cripple Mega Beedrill, but a gutsy player can try to arrange to switch in on Trick, at which point Porygon-Z is completely helpless and must switch or be sacrificed if switching is unacceptable, and if Mega Beedrill is supported by adequately slow, reasonably (Specially) bulky switchers (Such as Lanturn) it's entirely possible to get Mega Beedrill in on Porygon-Z with zero risk, so it's not as if you must lead/sacrifice/anticipate the Porygon-Z switch-in and switch in Mega Beedrill at the same time, actually. Mega Beedrill as a check to Porygon-Z is not for the faint of heart though, nor obviously stall teams, but it's more functional than you might think, and Mega Beedrill is such an amazing hole-puncher in general that it's not like you're nuts to run it otherwise.

Things to watch out for

-Anything with Mach Punch will kill Mega Beedrill instantly, so if Porygon-Z has such for teammates, it's extremely easy to lose Mega Beedrill. Beware Breloom, for instance, which is a good teammate for Porygon-Z between Spore, priority, and laughing maniacally at faster Ghosts who might try to counter Porygon-Z through outspeeding and hitting it with Shadow Ball.

-Sucker Punch is almost as bad, though actual Dark types will be afraid to switch in on a possible Knock Off from 150 Attack.

-Life Orb-carrying Agility-using Porygon-Z will outspeed (After an Agility) and OHKO Mega Beedrill, so if you haven't determined Specs for sure, Mega Beedrill carries risk as the first thing you turn to when seeing Porygon-Z. It's fine if you switch in on Porygon-Z "fresh", but if you're manually switching in Mega Beedrill (Expecting Trick, for example) and instead it uses Agility? You're in trouble.

Sample set.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect

EDIT2: Dropped a "2" in 252+ in one calc, making it look stupid, and forgot to give Porygon-Z an item for calcing a Knock Off. Fixed now. Also myriad minor fixes to aid clarity.

Last edited:
I find it almost impossible to counter Inverse Porygon-Z, both Specs and Life Orb Nasty Plot/Agility set. I don't think anyone can switch in besides Chansey and Goodra and both of them risked of getting Tricked/Psyshocked. And for Life Orb Nasty Plot/Agility set, after one Agility, it's basically nearly impossible to stop because of its power and Speed, just like Xerneas in Ubers. However, there is one thing that Porygon-Z lacks and that's where this guy gets useful. It's called priority. Because of this, there is a poke that can check both sets (Specs and Life Orb) and possibly Scarf set.

Suggesting Genesect as Check.

Genesect @ Choice Band
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extremespeed
- U-turn
- Iron Head/Energy Ball
- Ice Beam/Energy Ball

The strongest Extremespeed user that can attack right off the bat (stronger than Dragonite because of Download boost), and probably the only good Steel type in Inverse despite its weaknesses. It'll almost always get +1 Attack boost from Download because Porygon-Z has lower base Defense than its Special Defense (unless Porygon-Z has at least 44 Defense EVs investment). Because of this, it can check Porygon-Z quite well.

If you face a Specs Porygon-Z, U-turn will do this:

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Genesect U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 324-382 (104.1 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If your opponent used Agility before, or if you're afraid of Scarf, Extremespeed will do this:

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 247-291 (79.4 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This means if there is a Stealth Rock/Spikes damage or Life Orb recoil, it'll have chance to 1HKO. Because of this, I'm sure that Porygon-Z don't want to stay in against Genesect. Energy Ball is because Grass is a great offensive type while Ice Beam is used if you also want a check against Avalugg or you predict Avalugg switch in (+1 0 SpA Ice Beam still 1HKO Avalugg). Overall, this poke checks not only Porygon-Z, but it can also check many frail things that lacks priority like Mega Beedrill, Ambipom, Mega Alakazam,and Greninja. If you don't like Genesect's average 99 base Speed, you can run Choice Scarf and have the advantage of having faster U-turn, but note that it can't outspeed Porygon-Z after one Agility, so it can only check the Specs and Scarf set, though you don't have to worry if Porygon-Z holds Specs or Scarf if Porygon-Z haven't use Agility, as you'll always outspeed it and can U-turn right away.

Edit: Forgot some things.

Of course the only thing that can make Genesect voluntarily switch in is to predict a Trick, either a Scarf or Specs, or to expect a damaged Porygon-Z use Agility. The EV spread is designed so that Genesect have Extremespeed and U-turn hit as hard as possible, last two moves are Special so that Genesect can take advantage if Porygon-Z try to trick a Specs.

Edit: Ignore this. I was thinking of something weird when writing this.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
I find it almost impossible to counter Inverse Porygon-Z, both Specs and Life Orb Nasty Plot/Agility set. I don't think anyone can switch in besides Chansey and Goodra and both of them risked of getting Tricked/Psyshocked. And for Life Orb Nasty Plot/Agility set, after one Agility, it's basically nearly impossible to stop because of its power and Speed, just like Xerneas in Ubers. However, there is one thing that Porygon-Z lacks and that's where this guy gets useful. It's called priority. Because of this, there is a poke that can check both sets (Specs and Life Orb) and possibly Scarf set.

Suggesting Genesect as Check.

Genesect @ Choice Band
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Extremespeed
- U-turn
- Iron Head/Energy Ball
- Ice Beam/Energy Ball

The strongest Extremespeed user that can attack right off the bat (stronger than Dragonite because of Download boost), and probably the only good Steel type in Inverse despite its weaknesses. It'll almost always get +1 Attack boost from Download because Porygon-Z has lower base Defense than its Special Defense (unless Porygon-Z has at least 44 Defense EVs investment). Because of this, it can check Porygon-Z quite well.

If you face a Specs Porygon-Z, U-turn will do this:

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Genesect U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 324-382 (104.1 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If your opponent used Agility before, or if you're afraid of Scarf, Extremespeed will do this:

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 247-291 (79.4 - 93.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This means if there is a Stealth Rock/Spikes damage or Life Orb recoil, it'll have chance to 1HKO. Because of this, I'm sure that Porygon-Z don't want to stay in against Genesect. Energy Ball is because Grass is a great offensive type while Ice Beam is used if you also want a check against Avalugg or you predict Avalugg switch in (+1 0 SpA Ice Beam still 1HKO Avalugg). Overall, this poke checks not only Porygon-Z, but it can also check many frail things that lacks priority like Mega Beedrill, Ambipom, Mega Alakazam,and Greninja. If you don't like Genesect's average 99 base Speed, you can run Choice Scarf and have the advantage of having faster U-turn, but note that it can't outspeed Porygon-Z after one Agility, so it can only check the Specs and Scarf set, though you don't have to worry if Porygon-Z holds Specs or Scarf if Porygon-Z haven't use Agility, as you'll always outspeed it and can U-turn right away.

Edit: Forgot some things.

Of course the only thing that can make Genesect voluntarily switch in is to predict a Trick, either a Scarf or Specs, or to expect a damaged Porygon-Z use Agility. The EV spread is designed so that Genesect have Extremespeed and U-turn hit as hard as possible, last two moves are Special so that Genesect can take advantage if Porygon-Z try to trick a Specs.
What will Genesect switch in on to check Porygon Z? Tri Attack and Psyshock are supereffective, Specs cripples Extremespeeds power and you can't KO Porygon-Z, after which it KO's you. Thunder Wave cripples you, so Porygon Z still did its job in crippling and luring an offensive Pokemon.

Yeah, it'll still be crippled with Specs switch, but it's not becoming useless because the two Special moves will be boosted. And after a trick, it doesn't beat you because you can U-turn out, give it like 70% damage, and switch to a poke that can take a non-Specs Tri Attack (it's kinda weak) and KO it.

Edit: It may work, but gimmicky and unreliable. Ignore that Genesect.

Instead, I found a safer check for Specs Porygon-Z that can switch into some of its attacks.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Quick Attack/Baton Pass/Toxic/Heal Bell

Limber makes this thing can switch into a Thunder Wave before it mega. Also because this holds a mega stone, this thing also Trick-proof. The only thing that Mega Lopunny can't switch into is Tri-Attack. It'll also guaranteed to mega by using Fake Out and then kill it with Return/Frustration.

252+ Atk Lopunny Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 100-118 (32.1 - 37.9%) -- 94.4% chance to 3HKO.

252+ Atk Lopunny Return vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Porygon-Z: 253-298 (81.3 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Note that Mega Lopunny can check the Specs and Scarf set, as long as it doesn't use Tri Attack. It's unreliable to check the Life Orb Nasty Plot/Agility variant because after one Agility, it outspeed and 1HKO most of the time (though it'll get Fake Out damage). Also, if it tries to switch out, not many can switch into Mega Lopunny's Return, probably some defensive pokes like Avalugg, so you can predict Avalugg switch in then Baton Pass to Goth or something. Or you can just Return away and if Avalugg switches in, Toxic it'll be crippled because it can't stay long on the field to Stall other healthy Physical attackers. If Mega Lopunny also gets Toxic'd by Avalugg, it won't cripple Mega Lopunny as much because it'll switch in and out many times due to Fake Out. Or if you want a cleric, you can use Heal Bell to keep other teammates healthy.

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
Well this week didn't go too well. Guess it's my fault to take an underplayed metagame with an extremely hard Pokemon to check or counter. Well lets go to a more popular one then.

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Band
Ability: Prankster / Tinted Lens / Mold Breaker
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Thousand Arrows / V-Create
- Dragon Tail
- Switcheroo

Welcome to the terror that's currently dominating the Balanced Hackmons metagame! This might or might not be the optimal set, but you can assume Assist will pick either Thousand Arrows or V-Create as most of the team will be this set. I know some AssistDon teams aren't like that, but it will for this Victim of the Week. Try to find good counters, for this force that's currently extremely dominating in the BH Metagame! It'd be good to get some creativity going that can help handle this.

MAMP

MAMP!
Salamence-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crabhammer
- Icicle Crash
- Spiky Shield
- King's Shield/whatever

I've been running this set a fair bit recently, completely slays assistdon teams. Use Spiky Shield to get grass-type, so you can take a prankster tarrows, then ohko them with Crabhammer. bc Mence is faster than Groudon, this allows you to beat both Prankster and non-Prankster assistdon sets. I use Mence bc it is both fast and physically bulky, takes Tarrows very nicely after spiky shield:

252+ Atk Choice Band Primal Groudon Land's Wrath vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 123-146 (37.1 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO (this is with mence changed to grass type)

This cant beat desolate land sets, but it has a free moveslot so you can run tarrows in the last slot or something. Icicle crash donks imposter and ray switching in, which assist teams also run frequently. this also loses if you miss crabhammer so i guess you can run waterfall or some crap but i wouldnt recommend it. you can run this set on mm2x, arc, xern etc but theyre either not as bulky or not as powerful.

Check:

Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean /Technician /
Adamant Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Ice Shard
- Filler / Storm Throw
- Bonemerang/Thousand Arrows

Something I used to run that tends to defeat assistdon based teams
MMX when paired Water shuriken and Ice shard makes quite work of assistdon teams when played correctly.
Protean variant is the most preferred one with Technician coming in second.

The technician and protean variants both have the notability to ohko primal don quite often
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Mega Mewtwo X Water Shuriken (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 375-453 (92.8 - 112.1%) -- approx. 81.3% chance to OHKO (This calc is same with protean)
they also outspeed and ohko the gale wings primal ray with chatter that tends to often support primal dons with ice shard.

However they are not reliable enough to be called counter as they can and will sometimes leave with 2 hits shuriken and barely stay from the OHKO and if they run full speed they cant switch in, with 60 hp they can switch in once.
They are able to KO primal don quite often with earth moves if the variant is water immune.

Now comes the skill link one.
Counter:
Mewtwo-Mega-X @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 HP / 200 Spe or 4 atk / 248 HP / 252 def
Adamant Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Icicle Spear
- Bone Rush
- Filler

Skill link variant is able to switch in once and will always OHKO primal don with water shuriken but it lacks behind in normal play otherwise.
252+ Atk Choice Band Primal Groudon Land's Wrath vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo X: 310-366 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Primal Groudon Land's Wrath vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Mega Mewtwo X: 246-289 (59.2 - 69.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Mewtwo X Water Shuriken (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 440-520 (108.9 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0+ Atk Life Orb Mega Mewtwo X Water Shuriken (5 hits) vs. 128 HP / 0 Def Primal Groudon: 390-470 (104.5 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Ofcourse the harsh sun variant is barely out of bone rushes KO range, but in the mentioned set there was no water immune variant, I will still mention this tho.

So yeah. MMX with water shuriken can Check with protean and technician, even barely Counter don with skill link.
I hope this helps some offensive teams with don handling

Last edited:
Check:
Shedinja @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Def / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Baton Pass
- Pain Split/Endeavor
- Recycle
- Water Shuriken

Honestly a well played shedinja trumps almost all groudon spam teams (and I used groudon spam pretty extensively, so I would know). As long as you pay attention to moldy/turbo/tera, you can easily switch in to all the prankster variants, grab some momentum, or simply pain split + water shuriken to kill the incoming Mold breaker or rocky helmet Groudon. And here's the best part: Groudon spam teams can't use stealth rock. They can't use infestation. They can't use magma storm. No, they're limited to mold breaker to stop you, which can't even switch in safely anyway. Chansey, the supposed catch-all to all of Groudon spam's problems, can't even beat it one on one

Overall, imo the best, non-gimmicky answer to tinted lens groudon/groudon spam that can actually be somewhat useful in other situations.

Since no one has done it yet, I'm just going to state the obvious by posting a furcoat mon.

Swagbro-Mega (Slowbro-Mega) @ Slowbronite
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Psycho Shift
- Recover
- Baton Pass / Volt switch

Fur coat slowbro, because there is no such thing as too much bulk.
Scald is fore damage and utility (130 Satt ain't even bad) recover is here for obvious reasons, baton pass is here for momentum (and sending a something else if you're facing water absorb) and the utility of Psycho Shift is actually really good on any stallmon.
Carrying the slowbronite is just to block trick / koff.
Overall, slowbro is usually a stop to most groudon sets.

252+ Atk Choice Band Primal Groudon thousand arrows vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Slowbro: 72-86 (18.3 - 21.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tinted Lens Primal Groudon V-create vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mega Slowbro: 144-171 (36.6 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
8 SpA Mega Slowbro Scald vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 472-564 (117.1 - 139.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If assist is your main goal for this set you can slap ice beam somewhere on this set to deal with water absorb and get megaray on the switch.

EDIT: A variant of this set that is more effficient in regular play would be ph swagbro

Slowbro-Mega @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Spiky Shield
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psycho Shift

Same stuff, but you'll need to scout for trick with spiky shield. Psycho shift here guarantees that you can activate ph even if you get another statu before and also hlps spread poison in the opposing eam without worrying about magic bounce.

One good thing about this set is that it's completely imposter proof since you'll just burn chansey and watch him die.

Last edited:
Check:

Arceus-Water @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP, 252 atk, 4 spe
Adamant Nature

- Water Shuriken
- Icicle Spear
- Bullet Seed
- U-Turn

H2O God is a nice PDon check, can come in on V-Create, thousand arrows and switcheroo before destroying with water shuriken. Skill link is so water shuriken isn't a dead weight V non PDon spam, so I put on 2 more multi hit moves with decent coverage. U-Turn allows for scouting.

Tarrows and V-Create do ~59 to ~70, while dragon tail does ~26 to ~31.

Last edited:
252+ Atk Choice Band Primal Groudon V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arceus: 529-624 (119.1 - 140.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
he ain't coming in on v create

MAMP

MAMP!
Check:

Arceus-Water @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP, 252 atk, 4 spe
Adamant Nature

- Water Shuriken
- Icicle Spear
- Bullet Seed
- U-Turn

H2O God is a nice PDon check, can come in on V-Create, thousand arrows and switcheroo before destroying with water shuriken. Skill link is so water shuriken isn't a dead weight V non PDon spam, so I put on 2 more multi hit moves with decent coverage. U-Turn allows for scouting.

Tarrows and V-Create do ~59 to ~70, while dragon tail does ~26 to ~31.
Arceus is always normal type unless it is Multitype and holds the corresponding plate. Please don't post sets you haven't tested, the purpose of this thread is to help people who are having difficulty dealing with a certain threat by giving them tried and trued options for dealing with it.

Arceus is always normal type unless it is Multitype and holds the corresponding plate. Please don't post sets you haven't tested, the purpose of this thread is to help people who are having difficulty dealing with a certain threat by giving them tried and trued options for dealing with it.
The laat time I played BH a few months back Arceus didn't need the plates to change type IIRC, Water Plate still OHKOs anyway.

Soft Counter

Palkia @ Choice Specs
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Assist
- Dragon Tail
- Trick
- Special Water Move of Choice or an uncallable move with said Water move on Chansey. Counter works nicely if not running Specs to catch Water Absorb/Desolate Lands Groudon by surprise.

What's one of the more amusing ways to troll an Assistdon team? An Assist Palkia team. Palkia has a 4x SE STAB that utterly demolishes Groudon and its base 100 Speed ensures that'll always outspeed Groudon-P. Palkia can manually switch into Choice Band T-Arrows and literally KO with Water Gun.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Water Gun vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 528-624 (131 - 154.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Palkia Surf vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 1176-1384 (291.8 - 343.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Once Palkia is in, something dies on the Assistdon team. Unless they have Water Absorb or Desolate Lands, but that's why you pack a Primordial Sea and a Mold Breaker Palkia of your own. Pretty much the only time you'll probably get into trouble is if they're packing both Desolate Lands and Water Absorb. Shame Entrainment gets called by Assist, because otherwise you could just use that.

The set is also resistant to Groudon's Trick shennanigans as, while Palkia won't appreciate the Band, Groudon appreciates the Specs much, much less in this match-up.

Specs are there just for effectiveness against other teams, though Assist Palk isn't nearly as potent as Assistdon in other match-ups. If you're aiming to specifically troll Groudon teams, another item would be more ideal, such as a Focus Sash to avoid OHKOs/crits

Snaquaza

KACAW
Thanks for all the responses guys! I am happy with them. Again, counters and checks are in order of reliability.

Counters: Slowbro, Palkia, Mega Mewtwo X
Checks: Shedinja, Salamence Mega, Mega Mewtwo X

The next tier will be STABmons again.

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Vacuum Wave

Keldeo is a very dangerous Pokemon. While it hates all the priority in the metagame, if it gets in something will probably die. How can teams handle this menace without having to sack something every time? What things can check and counter it. Also if you want something to check it, make it switch in on Water Spout or Secret Sword, as those will be the most used moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)