Jynx (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast

Jynx as a hard check. Outspeeds Omastar even at +2 and can OHKO with a Focus Blast or if you have bad luck can 2HKO Omastar with Psyshock. Jynx has a niche over other checks to Omastar as it can switch in on any of Omastars boosted attacks, being immune to Hydro Pump, resisting Ice Beam, and chewing one HP Electric.
252 SpA Jynx Focus Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Omastar: 322-380 (114.5 - 135.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Jynx Psyshock vs. -1 0 HP / 4 Def Omastar: 148-175 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Omastar Hydro Pump vs. Dry Skin Jynx: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- aim for the horn next time
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jynx: 134-157 (49.4 - 57.9%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Hidden Power Electric vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Jynx: 179-212 (66 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
- Rapid Spin

Hitmonchan is a straight up Check same goes for AV but i cant be stuffed remembering the evs on it.

Pretty much no matter what Omastar does it is easily revenged by Hitmonchan Pre-Setup is bopped by Drain Punch and after set-up is straight killed by Mach Punch

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Scald
- Amnesia

252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Quagsire: 121-143 (30.7 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

even comes with scald to guarantee you thaw

amnesia incase they set up more but you could also use a real move

please never use this hahaha but it does counter omastar. Free gastrodon

Good morning gentle viewers; it is I, your lovable and ever humble host, Sir Norden and welcome to another episode to Encounter of the Prehistoric. Last week we got to see how a vicious Kabutops managed to hunt down and feast upon the succulent flesh of an unaware and wounded Armaldo. While I will admit that grizzly sight even turned my cast iron stomach I am glad to bring to you another scene from the war that was the prehistoric Pokémon landscape.

This week we will be watching how two aquatic species of fossil Pokémon interact and hunt one another in this vicious and predatory environment. Now we take you to the scene of the forthcoming carnage at the bottom of the ocean.

Here we see a lonely Omastar, a dangerous predator in its own right. With nimble tentacles, a strong beak and a predatory cognizance, rarely seen today in the modern world of Pokémon, it is easy to see why this fearsome hunter was the terror of the sea. Hark, notice its shuffle, I do believe this Omastar is on the prowl for some tasty morsel; maybe a cluster Shellder or an unaware school of Tentacool. Oh, what is this, I think we are going to see a rare sight for human eyes. Notice the helix shelled Omastar glide into that stand of coral and sea weed. Now modern researchers have often speculated that the Omastar and Omanyte families became extinct due to them over developing their defensive capabilities, thus their shell, and conversely lost much of the suppleness that allowed them to become the kings of deep sea hunting. Oh, do look, see it start to wave its tendrils to mimic that of the weeds caught in the dance of the ocean current, simply marvellous.

"We do not just fear our predators, we are transfixed by them. We are prone to weave stories and fables and chat endlessly about them." -Peter Benchley
Wait! Oh my dear viewers, we are in for a treat of the ages. It appears that our hunter has become the hunted. Look there in the back ground, amongst the green and pink of the coral and weeds. Yes my beloved viewer it appears that our Omastar has made a foolish mistake of attempting to find its prey in a nest of a Cradily, a truly fearsome creature that is the perfect ambush predator of the sea.

“Time does not pass, it continues” - Marty Rubin
A most spectacular creature that time has sadly continued on by
I don’t think the Omastar quite realises the danger yet. Ah, never mind, I do believe it has sensed the moment and they are about the engage each other in the dance, the battle for survival or as I like to paraphrase Darwin the three F’s: Feast, Fight and Fornicate.

Oh look at this, the Omastar has decided to adopt a strong offensive approach to the barnacle Pokémon and is, is… Is that Omastar breaking its own shell? Why yes it is! My word, look at that speed, that agility! But I don’t think it will be fast enough, the Cradily is now close enough to utilise its most terrifying feature, its life sucking tentacles.

Wait! The Omastar has unleashed a beam of pure ice. See that raw power, churning up all the sand at the bottom of the ocean and turning it to a slurry of eradication. It will be difficult for even this experienced nature documentarian to guess how this is going to turn out .Oh wait, the dust is settling and I am afraid a meal has been had. Not a salad, but rather a crab cake.

So life will move on, the Cradily will continue to strike from the swaying underwater grass of the coral bed, until finally one fateful day it will no longer be able to catch its prey and it too will go the way of the Omastar, extinction.

Now, with that fun little intro out of the way let us look at the check to the Shell Smash Omastar that is Cradily. Now this may seem counterproductive, due to Cradily’s half grass typing, but bear with me here; Cradily is inarguably one of the most specially bulky Pokémon in the NU tier at this moment. Between a solid Base HP, SpD and Defence stat Cradily is easily able to stand up to most threats. Combine this with the ability Storm Drain (which raises its modest SpA to decent levels) and you have a Pokémon that is easily capable of checking a rampaging crustacean.

Check out those Tentacles! (Cradily) @ Leftovers

Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Rock Slide

This is the most common Cradily setup I feel at the moment. This set works as a check for Shell Smash Omastar three reasons:
1) Omastar has to Shell Smash to even have a hope at winning this encounter, thus Omastar cannot switch into Cradily or must switch out if the player timed coming into a Hydro Pump.
2) Cradily OHKOs Omatar with a 4x Super Effective Giga Drain against a -2 SpD Omastar.
3) But, Cradily does have a slight (6% chance) of being OHKOed itself with a Super Effective Ice Beam after a Shell Smash (not including rocks or spikes).

Damage Calcs:

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Omastar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 322-380 (85.6 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Omastar Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily: 53-64 (14 - 17%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

______

4 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Omastar: 372-436 (132.3 - 155.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, if you looking for a versatile check that can easily be made into a special wall on most team Cradily can’t be squeezed in with little trouble and can act as a solid check to Omastar.

Now if you are wanting to try a different style of Omastar check I might offer you this set:

I Love Playing Checkers (Cradily) @ Assault Vest

Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Sludge Wave

This set acts as another check to Omastar for one main reason, Cradily’s SpD is increased by 1.5 times. Making it hard for the Helix Pokémon to break through this impressive special wall.

Damage Calcs

+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Cradily: 234-278 (62.4 - 74.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

_________

8 SpA Cradily Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Omastar: 372-436 (132.3 - 155.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, this set is hard to work into a team, as Cradily’s main strength does come from its utility move pool, making it frustrating to use properly within a team. However, if you are craving a check or counter to Omastar I would suggest that you choose one of these Cradily sets to serve your desires.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Norden You know I'm all for completely countering Omastar, but a freaking Assault Vest Cradily is not only an incredibly inefficient way to do it (seeing as it barely handles anything else), but it can barely handle Omastar itself if the latter chooses to Ice Beam on the switch, especially if Omastar is Modest which you so conveniently left out in both your calcs.

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish / Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Knock Off
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Omastar Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Ludicolo: 257-303 (70.6 - 83.2%)
Bulky Ludicolo has always been something I've given mild thought on for a long time. Its typing may not offer the most resists, but what is especially notable is that it can wall specially offensive Water-types without any SpD investment, allowing it to invest in physical bulk to take on Ground-types and physically offensive Water-types (mostly Barbaracle), all while being able to remain healthy with Synthesis and Giga Drain. From there it can annoy stuff with Scald burns or even try to Knock Off some items. I gave this particular Ludicolo enough Speed to outrun Jolly Rhydon, in the event that it switches into a stray Megahorn.

Under the definition of a counter, I think there really is only one mon who can claim that role:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Earthquake
- Scald/Waterfall
- Recover
- Toxic/Curse

0 Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 65-77 (16.4 - 19.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 78-93 (19.7 - 23.6%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Due to unaware, Quagsire can switch in on any attack and either toxic stall or setup on Malamar with Curse.

upload_2016-2-23_19-2-57.png

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Worry Seed

Plume can take multiple hits from an unboosted Malamar and doesnt mind its item being Knocked Off however if Malamar can boost on Plume it can use it as setup fodder with it's Special bulk. However, Worry Seed not only prevents Malamar from Resting, since it gains the ability Insomnia, but it loses Contrary and at most will be at +2 atk vs Plume and hitting it with weak Knock offs. Also, effect spore can also help Plume wear down Malamar as it also can recover HP with Giga Drain and Synthesis.

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 78-93 (22 - 26.2%) -- possible 5HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 156-184 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery:

Worse Case Scenario and Plume recovers off the damage and Knock offs get progressively weaker.

Punchshroom

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Synthesis
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Skill Swap / Leech Seed

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 122-146 (32.6 - 39%)
0 Atk Malamar Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 84-98 (22.4 - 26.2%) -- 9.4% chance to 4HKO
0 Atk Gourgeist-Super Foul Play vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Malamar: 71-84 (18.8 - 22.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

There are two ways for SuperGeist to beat Malamar without getting Rest stalled. The first is by Skill Swapping Insomnia onto Malamar, which not only prevents it from Resting off burns, but also removes Contrary from it. The second method is simply to Leech Seed it, which alongside Foul Play damage can put some pressure on Malamar while Leech Seed's recovery gives Malamar basically no chance of breaking through SuperGeist.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok enough with the pointless argument over the definition of a check or a counter, I deleted all the posts from said argument. It's really not a big deal and not worth thinking so much about, the quote in the OP is simply just meant to be a guideline.

Carry on.

“Well viewers at home, I hope you had a restful weekend because it is time for another action packed clash of titans here on Monday Night Showdown! As usual I am your host, Norton Modden.”

“Now tonight, I must say I am excited to see these two great teams on the field. Both have excellent records this season, but two very different styles. The first being the Miami Squids, headed up by an old guard of the NNUL (National Never Used League) Malamar. The second being the Pittsburgh Stag Beetles under the leadership of one of last year’s top draft picks, Pinsir.”

“Now, The Miami Squids under the guidance of Malamar have seen numerous victories, but rarely have they come to be a dominating factor within the league, which in my own humble is primarily due to the fact that Malamar has constantly neglected to deal with the weaknesses his line has to the Bug Offensive Play Book. I mean, how many times does this team have to drop the ball in the playoffs before they say enough is enough?”

“But we are not going to spend this time boring you viewers at home with my rants, no I am bringing to you live an interview with this up and coming captain from the Pittsburgh Stag Beetles, Pinsir.”

______________​

“Hey there kid, how you feeling tonight?”

“Good, Norton, real good.”

“Mind sharing with the folks at home your ideas on how you are going to approach this struggle?”

“Not at all, I mean there ain’t nothing old squidy can do to stop me. Well first things first, Malamar stuck in the past. This aint the league Typhlosian played in. Heck no, I mean back then what did we have for strong bug types on the field? Nothing much that I can remember, but now we got me and I plan on destroying what is left of this old, slow and ineffectual old timer on the field with a combination of STAB style plays and being able to handle his old school ground and pound offence with a solid Pittsburgh Defence!”

“Well that is certainly a colourful display from a player with high hopes and strong abilities. I am sure we are in for a wonderful showing. Now let us look at the numbers of these players and try and get a stance on this matchup.”

"Success is where preperation and oppurtunity meet." - Bobby Unser
The Play Maker (Pinsir) @ Life Orb

Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Quick Attack​

It is obvious from Pinsir’s stats that Malamar is going to be in a rough shape after this match. Not only is it outsped, which is a dangerous place for a sweeper to be in, but it is unable to break through the defensive ground work of Pinsir. This is in addition to Malamar’s glaring weakness, a 4x weakness to Pinsir’s main STAB and the fact that afterwards Pinsir is just getting a power boost out of all this.

To show that this is not simply just grandstanding I present you with some calculations that will confirm this.

Pinsir

252 Atk Life Orb Pinsir X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Malamar: 738-873 (196.2 - 232.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Malamar

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 97-115 (35.7 - 42.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

0 Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 40-47 (14.7 - 17.3%) -- possible 6HKO
Now this is if Pinsir manages to play the game right and not get overconfident, but let us see if this seasoned rookie is able to keep up with Malamar at his prime.

Malamar

+1 0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pinsir: 145-172 (53.5 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (78.5 – 88.4% after Rocks)

Pinsir

252 Atk Life Orb Pinsir X-Scissor vs. +1 252 HP / 4 Def Malamar: 489-582 (130 - 154.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Now I will admit, Malamar has an opportunity here,but he will have to play the game perfectly to deal with Pittsburgh properly, as he has no hope in outspeeding this rookie at all.

So this is Norton Modden predicting a crushing defeat for the Miami Squids and another sign of the Old Guard simply needing to move on with its career and for Pinsir to become an offensive counter to Malamar.

Last edited:

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader

Scyther @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Scyther is a classic Malamar check, being able to KO it, and gain momentum with just one move. Furthermore, with a Choice Band, Scyther can even revenge a 100% healthy Malamar at +2 which can be a huge game saver. Not much else to say as Scyther is one of the best offensive Malamar checks if not "the" best in the tier.

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
good god, I don't think anyone is going to be able to beat Mr. Norden's commentary on that match..

Prinplup @ Eviolite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Signal Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Defog

standard Phys. Def Prinplup with Signal Beam is an easy 3HKO on Malamar, and can easily beat Malamar in a 1v1 situation. it can also come in on Malamar because it takes a couple of hits, even with it's Eviolite knocked off. I wouldn't call it a complete counter as Prinplup will not come out of the battle unscaved, but it's definitely a check.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Bug
- Stun Spore / Sleep Powder
- doesn't matter

Part 1 of random Hidden Power Bug Pokemon to counter Malamar on semistall project.™ Tangela is one of the less useless Pokemon at filling this niche role because it also counters physical smashers such as Barbaracle, as well as many physical attackers such as Shiftry and SD Rhydon which is a huge problem for many slow teams, and spreads status even after Eviolite gets Knocked Off. If you think HP Bug is insane, I just think it's about as viable™ as random Signal Beams on Pokemon that dislike (or even worse, can't) really switch into Malamar more than once or twice. It's nowhere as telegraphed as say, switching a Prinplup, Mantine, or Lanturn into Malamar, which is a huge plus. Or also about as viable as Worry Seed on random Pokes that cannot threaten Malamar with damage, which lets it switch out at near full and rest up on something else slow and bulky and continue being a nuisance (which is one of the main reason why Malamar is threatening to your team, usually), which only leads to PP stalling strats, which doesn't work in their favor when their recovery move only has 8 PP.

Once that surprise HP Bug damage is inflicted, it's already too late for Malamar. At below half HP and statused, Malamar is much more easliy pressured and you beat it without getting stuck with some annoying PP stall scenario as with other counters that only really beat Malamar in a 1v1 scenario and gets really annoyed when Malamar switches out, or something like Mega Audino which usually ends up having to sacrifice itself to bring down Malamar when it often acts as a general check to everything and risks rest of the team falling apart.

Last edited:
Counter

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Flamethrower

0 Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 28-33 (8.3 - 9.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 67-81 (20 - 24.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 102-120 (30.5 - 35.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Malamar can't touch this guy without psychic coverage, Weezing burns with wow and prevents Malamar from resting with Taunt.

Counter

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Flamethrower

0 Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 28-33 (8.3 - 9.8%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 67-81 (20 - 24.2%) -- possible 6HKO after Black Sludge recovery
+1 0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 102-120 (30.5 - 35.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Malamar can't touch this guy without psychic coverage, Weezing burns with wow and prevents Malamar from resting with Taunt.
Weezing is a check, not a counter.

Pokémon A counters Pokémon B if Pokémon A can manually switch into Pokémon B and still win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax.
Worst Case Scenario is Malamar is +6 / +6 already.

+6 0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 270-318 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+6 0 Atk burned Malamar Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 90-106 (26.9 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 46-55 (13.7 - 16.4%) -- possible 7HKO

No matter if Weezing runs Haze, clear smog, or wisp, Malamar will always win. Obviously weezing is a great check....

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Weezing is a check, not a counter.

Worst Case Scenario is Malamar is +6 / +6 already.

+6 0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 270-318 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+6 0 Atk burned Malamar Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 90-106 (26.9 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Weezing: 46-55 (13.7 - 16.4%) -- possible 7HKO

No matter if Weezing runs Haze, clear smog, or wisp, Malamar will always win. Obviously weezing is a great check....
I just said no more arguing over the definition of a check or a counter, but I'll respond to this.
Yes a +6 / +6 Malamar is obviously the worst case scenario, but in all honesty thats not really a common scenario and in this case it is not what I had intended when having everyone post checks and counters. In reality, why or how would you let Malamar get to +6 anyways? At that point you pretty much just lose regardless, you're not sacking a bunch of other Pokemon and letting Malamar boost up and then going to Weezing, it is typically the primary switch into Malamar because despite losing its item, Taunt Weezing will always win 1v1. Don't take the "worst case scenario" stuff too seriously, again, its just meant to be a guideline. In the end, it really doesn't accomplish anything arguing between each other whether or not someone's post is a check or a counter because its my call.

Any more posts that are solely arguing over the definition of a check or a counter will be deleted, if that wasn't clear from my previous post.

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Timid/Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ground
- U-Turn/Healing Wish
Mesperit as a check to this malamar set. Of course Mespirit isn't going to like taking a knock off or a +1 knock off
0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 186-222 (61.7 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mesprit: 282-332 (93.6 - 110.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
So you obviously want to make this comes in safely off a faint or a slow u-turn/volt switch
252+ SpA Life Orb Mesprit Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 354-416 (94.1 - 110.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
Modest nature allows you to safely OHKO this monster especially after rocks. You could go timid but it won't deal as much as damage comfortably
252 SpA Life Orb Mesprit Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 322-380 (85.6 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
But it still does a good amount of damage.
And if you got prior damage off on this then u-turn will probably not knock it out.
0- Atk Life Orb Mesprit U-turn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Malamar: 276-328 (73.4 - 87.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Which is good for trying to predict switches because now you know you'll be knocking out the malamar anyways even if it doesn't switch out.

Lanturn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 144 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam

Nothing crazy here, Signal Beam Lanturn is a pretty decent check to Malamar. Mala typically sets up with ease on Lanturn, but with Signal Beam and Special Attack and Speed investment Lanturn can outpace and always 2HKO Malamar no matter how many Superpower boosts it has.

252+ SpA Lanturn Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 220-260 (58.5 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Check

Kadabra @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power Ground
- Substitute

Not Kadabra's most ideal set but this still makes Kadabra a nice check. It certainly can't switch in (even superpower does like 50 lol) but once it's in, Signal Beam has a strong chance to OHKO. Stealth Rock or tiny bit of prior damage secures it.

252 SpA Life Orb Kadabra Signal Beam vs. 252 HP / 244+ SpD Malamar: 354-416 (94.1 - 110.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO​

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder

Don't know why this hasn't been mentioned but Vivillion is a solid check to Malamar, being able to OHKO it at max bulk with Bug Buzz. Focus sash also allows it to switch in on it with more ease if needed.

252+ SpA Vivillon Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 436-516 (115.9 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 169-199 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Malamar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 253-298 (84 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 0 Atk Malamar Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Vivillon: 52-61 (17.2 - 20.2%) -- possible 5HKO

Punchshroom

Scyther @ Eviolite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance
- Roost

252+ SpA Grumpig Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 102-120 (29.7 - 34.9%) -- 12.2% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Grumpig Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Scyther: 90-106 (26.2 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 252+ SpA Grumpig Psychic vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Scyther: 153-180 (44.6 - 52.4%) -- 19.1% chance to 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Grumpig Psyshock vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Scyther: 135-159 (39.3 - 46.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

8 Atk Technician Scyther Aerial Ace vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 151-178 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
8 Atk Scyther U-turn vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 236-278 (78.4 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not much Grumpig can really do in Scyther's presence, even if Stealth Rock is on the field. Grumpig won't be able to threaten the 2HKO on Scuther with +1 Psychic (and even then it's only a small chance) before Scyther either chunks it with U-turn or set up to OHKO with +2 Aerial Ace.

Last edited:

Metang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Doesn't really mind taking anything Grumpig can throw at it (besides Shadow Ball), and can get up Stealth Rock, Toxic an incoming switch, or beat Grumpig with Meteor Mash. It's also really neat.

252+ SpA Grumpig Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Eviolite Metang: 72-85 (22.2 - 26.2%) -- 9.4% chance to 4HKO

+1 252+ SpA Grumpig Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Eviolite Metang: 107-127 (33 - 39.1%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Metang Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Grumpig: 109-129 (36.2 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)