Victini

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, let's see...

-V-create: We already know how brutal this is...
-Blue Flare: Huh...a much better Fire Blast for Special sets.
-Bolt Strike: Good Lord...this damn pixie didn't need to brutalize any more with Choice Band.
-Glaciate: Frees up Hidden Power for Grass. The bonus of always slowing down opponents is always good.

This pixie is becoming more and more victorious...

I've changed my mind about Glaciate, seems it can be useful to some extent. The speed reducing side effect seems useful, and as religious jedi said it frees up a slot for another hidden power type. So the special set can gain more coverage and not be walled by the likes of Gastro in OU, but I'm not too sure about UU. Gamefreak have been really kind to Victini with all these good moves, it will be interesting to see if gains any more moves in near future, I wouldn't put it past trollfreak to do so.

I do wonder how viable a mix set might be with fusion flare/bolt strike/v create/ filler. In sun it seems like it might dominate with the last slot depending on what is needed, like psychic for fighting types, or glaciate for the speed drop, etc. I've also found scarf final gambit victini of good use. It's unexpected, and always takes out a mon for me. It makes it 5-5 and is quite fun to use.

This seems like the best set imo

Victini@ Life orb
Trait: Victory star
Nature: Naive
252 Atk 4 SpA 252 Spe
V-create
Bolt Strike
Glaciate
Grass knot

If this thing gets a SS boost it's gg.

2HKO's the ENTIRE Tier @_@. Except for specially defensive t-tar... -.-

This seems like the best set imo

Victini@ Life orb
Trait: Victory star
Nature: Naive
252 Atk 4 SpA 252 Spe
V-create
Bolt Strike
Glaciate
Grass knot

If this thing gets a SS boost it's gg.

2HKO's the ENTIRE Tier @_@. Except for specially defensive t-tar... -.-
V-Create vs. Specially Defensive Tyranitar: 36,39% - 42,82%
Bolt Strike vs. Specially Defensive Tyranitar: 35,15% - 41,34%

(This is something people will have to know: A Resisted V-Create is slightly more powerful than a neutral Bolt Strike)

With SR and one layer of Spikes, both V-Create and Bolt Strike can 2HKO Specially Defensive Tyranitar, but that's only guaranteed with 3 layers of Spikes

This is actually the first time that I've been inspired to make a sun team. Should be really interesting to see if this makes Victini a solid enough choice to see more usage.

I have used glaciate on a sub+3 attacks Kyurem with the idea of slowing down enemies. It've worked great. Victini should have similar success.
Victini@leftovers
Naive nature
252 speed, ??? mix between atk and sp. atk
Substitute
V-Create
Glaciate
Filler (special or physical?)

That's just one idea for a set made in a few seconds, there are probably better sets.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You don't need three layers of Spikes. Just get rid of Grass Knot and use Brick Break for Ttar and Heatran. Grass Knot doesn't have any real use in OU.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
I wouldn't use Glaciate and V-Create on the same set. Not only does it defeat the purpose of slowing down the opponent but you also make Victini even more vulnerable to priority and scarf users that way.
Wouldn't a fully special-based set with Blue Flare instead of V-Create be a better idea if you intend to use Glaciate?

I wouldn't use Glaciate and V-Create on the same set. Not only does it defeat the purpose of slowing down the opponent but you also make Victini even more vulnerable to priority and scarf users that way.
Wouldn't a fully special-based set with Blue Flare instead of V-Create be a better idea if you intend to use Glaciate?
A physical-based set with Flare Blitz could also be used, but the difference in power may be huge

Slowing down the opponent to use both a glaciate and a v-create is better than just using that v-create. Using glaciate after v-create is less good though.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Which is pointless because Victini has Thunder Wave.
Unless you're really desperate to hit Ground types (though being able to slow down and deal major damage to Flygon in UU and Garchomp in OU is pretty big), Thunder Wave is more reliable.

I think Glaciate should be used in a fully special set, especially when Victini also gets access to Blue Flare. Keep in mind that Victini's common checks tend to have higher defense than special defense, so the damage output from Blue Flare shouldn't be much lower than V-Create against those targets, with the added benefits of not lowering your stats.

Did a little extra research. The Victini is set to a Lax nature. :(

Lax Nature.
Date of Receiving
Lovely Place. Apparently had a fateful encounter at Lv. 100

Well this sucks...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
myself said:
He's right

http://serebii.net/events/dex/494.shtml

Oh dear lord GF has no sense of balance. Are they afraid that "not" nature locking Victini would break it?

I don't have much else to add to the thread at this point.

But, again, so we're clear, terrible balance sense.

If anyone wants to add to this discussion, go right ahead. But lax nature is so... bleh. I'm going to give it a chance and see if Bolt Strike is worth that awful nature, but goddamn GF... just goddamn.
GF sucks at balance.

This unpleasant surprise reduces the damage Choice Band Victini can do to a Physically Defensive Politoed with Bolt Strike to 79,69% - 94,27%. While it's still a very high chance of OHKOing with SR, is it worthwhile?

SJCrew

I'm going to need a firsthand source on the nature. It seems like it kind of came out of the blue.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
While the loss of V-Create power or Speed is off-putting, Lax Bolt Strike has a guaranteed higher damage output than Adamant Fusion Bolt. Interestingly, Fusion Bolt's damage caps at Bolt Strike's lowest point.

Against 252/252+ Politoed:
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 260-306 (67.7 - 79.68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Politoed: 306-362 (79.68 - 94.27%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Against 252/176+ Forretress:
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Forretress: 90-106 (25.42 - 29.94%) -- possible 4HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 176+ Def Forretress: 106-125 (29.94 - 35.31%) -- 46.78% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Against 252/0 Pelipper: (For the hell of it... I would never hurt Mantine, so Pelipper can die)
252+ Atk Choice Band Victini Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pelipper: 600-708 (185.18 - 218.51%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pelipper: 708-836 (218.51 - 258.02%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Something to think about if it really IS nature-locked. (Hey, better than Impish Manaphy right?)

SJCrew

Nah, nobody's talking about using Fusion Flare. He got it a long time ago and we know it sucks. But he is getting Blue Flare from the new event, which is 30 BP stronger and has a worthwhile secondary effect. Really, it's only slightly better than Fire Blast, and the only reason anyone uses Victini in OU is V-create, so I don't think Blue Flare will see any real usage in OU. Mixed/bluffing sets are UU-restricted gimmicks for Victini.

The move we really want is Bolt Strike. I've always found Fusion Bolt to be a little weak for my tastes, and the 30% increase in power would be very ideal for non-Choice sets.

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Nah, nobody's talking about using Fusion Flare. He got it a long time ago and we know it sucks. But he is getting Blue Flare from the new event, which is 30 BP stronger and has a worthwhile secondary effect. Really, it's only slightly better than Fire Blast, and the only reason anyone uses Victini in OU is V-create, so I don't think Blue Flare will see any real usage in OU. Mixed/bluffing sets are UU-restricted gimmicks for Victini.

The move we really want is Bolt Strike. I've always found Fusion Bolt to be a little weak for my tastes, and the 30% increase in power would be very ideal for non-Choice sets.
Blue Flare might be weaker than V-Create but 1. it doesn't lower your stats (which leads to Victini to be forced out, which is bad for a pokemon so vulnerable to Pursuit and entry hazards), 2. Victini's checks tend to have higher defense than special defense so the damage output would be similiar.
Blue Flare is a very worthwhile move and I can easily see a special set outperforming the physical one given that your opponent expects the latter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)