Victoria, BC: Tsukino League Challenge - Feb 17 to 19 2012 - WON BY R Inanimate

Info: http://tsukinocon.com/

So, I'm the event organizer for Tsukino Con, Victoria's Anime convention (Victoria BC, held at UVic Feb 17-19 2012), and this year we're hosting the sequel to last year's Poke-league!

"This year enter the Tsukino region, challenge the gyms + the Elite 4 to prove that you're the very best. Then compete for a chance to be crowned the 2012 Tsukino-League Champion."​

Last year the Champion won bragging rights... and a reserved copy of Pokemon Black or White. The grand prize this year isn't set yet, but all trainers get to pick up some swag in collecting the gym badges along the way.

To make sure everyone knows, this is a DS tournament with 5th gen games. There may also be a cards tournament on the side, but more on that to come.

I'm also hoping to run a new panel called "Pokemon Biology Explained" at this year's con. And the rest of the anime convention will be going on too (like anyone cares about that :P)

So if you're in or near the Victoria area (just a ferry ride away from Vancouver/Seattle) then you should totally come challenge the league.

Registration this year is $25 for adults (for the weekend) and $20 for students or anyone under 18. We also offer a $1.00 discount for each canned food item donated to the con's food bank drive. Yep, this means you can come in with 20 boxes of KD or 20 cans of beans and pay your registration that way. (Keep in mind canadian, though we exchange $US at 1:1) You also save 10% when you pre-register at Tsukinocon.com, which means beating the lineup by getting your pass early the day before, OR early access (Trust me, it's a good thing to get. Regular registration lineups can be like... an hour wait if you're not there early).

I'll list the general format for this league in spoilers below. Feel free to ask me any questions in the thread, via pm, or through e-mail at programming@tsukinocon.com

And if you want to know more, visit our website!

So we obviously don't want to restrict the fun of trainers too much, as such the only real restrictions on trainers' teams will be:

-1HKO Clause
-Sleep Clause
-Species Clause
-Evasion Clause

Gym battles will be done with teams of 3 pokemon in singles, or 4 pokemon in doubles/triples. There is no restriction on the tiers of the pokemon used by trainers. All gym battles will be flat battles done via the IR battle system. Elite 4 Battles will be done with teams of 4-6 pokemon, and will have the same clauses active. The format this year is going to run such that trainers compete to gather 8 gym badges before 2:30pm Sunday, at which point in time registration will be closed for the final league tournament including all qualified trainers.

Whether you're new to competitive battling or you've used a level 100 Magikarp as a sweeper for the sheer fun of it, you'll hopefully find a fun and challenging time at the league ;)

And finally, a 30 second video of myself dressed up as a Team Rocket Scientist, advertising our convention.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGCS0wG-3c0
alternate take:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ThrCztMkw&NR=1\

Cheers! Hope to see you there!

I'll keep this thread updated as more information comes out! This event is run in conjunction with the UVic Pokemon Club. Furthermore, the talented Hannah Westlake, who graciously donated 3 incredibly well-made B/W starter pokemon hats for our fundraising VGC tournament this summer...

will be selling a littany of custom-made pokemon hats. I've seen a lot of them and they're pretty damn amazing. So if you're interested they will also be available at the convention.

I can't believe I'm a UVic student and not a member of the Pokemon club! >.<

I'll definitely be coming to this, hopefully I can have a team prepared in time so I'm not just there as a spectator. :P

Any tier? Just to make sure I'm not messing up majorly here, you can use Ubers?
Yes, you can use ubers. And though you likely won't face any ubers in the gyms, you might have to deal with them when challenging the E4. This format is in place so even casual trainers have a chance at winning badges and having a fun time :)

I can't believe I'm a UVic student and not a member of the Pokemon club! >.<

I'll definitely be coming to this, hopefully I can have a team prepared in time so I'm not just there as a spectator. :P
Say what!?
Pokemon Club meets in the ECS building (Engineering Comp. Sci) every monday at 6pm in room 124, though the time, day and room may change come the new year. I'd add that official club meetings are done now since final exams are underway. I hope you've joined the facebook group at least :P I'd love to see another smogoner join up. Our tournaments have been dominated pretty harshly by one member since the creation of the club. The more people around who can give them a run for their money, the better :P

+ Attendance for Tsukino Con is free to all UVic students.

I'm really hoping I can make it out for the league this year, since I missed it last year. I was also just thinking, what if a competitive Pokemon panel could be run. It would introduce people to competitive battling as well as likely improving competition for future Tsukino Con League's or other Victoria competions.

I'm really hoping I can make it out for the league this year, since I missed it last year. I was also just thinking, what if a competitive Pokemon panel could be run. It would introduce people to competitive battling as well as likely improving competition for future Tsukino Con League's or other Victoria competions.
I did one last year, and I'm doing one this year :) I also am doing a Pokemon Biology panel.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oooh flat battle for everything, that should be helpful. Hopefully gym leaders and elite 4 will have some break time to hang out ;D

We just can't do level down but not level up with IR. But if we wanted to do anything other than IR, it would take far too long :\ And E4 are free all Friday and most of saturday :P And there are only technically 2 gym leaders on site at the league at any time :)

Also update:

This league's champion will be receiving a copy of Pokemon Rumble Blast for the DS and a custom made 3DS case by Hannah Westlake, the maker of the fine hats in the first post.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I shall defeat. I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE.

Edit: Oh wait, E4 is on Sunday, when I won't be there...

=(. I'll thrash the gym leaders then.

Articuno64

1 to 63 were taken
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Looking forward to starting this tomorrow! I'll be one of the gym leaders so anyone in the area should come down and wage combat with me, etc.

I shall defeat. I ACCEPT YOUR CHALLENGE.

Edit: Oh wait, E4 is on Sunday, when I won't be there...

=(. I'll thrash the gym leaders then.
Don't forget about sleep clause ;)

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
My brother and I will be there on Saturday. I haven't played single battles in ages, so I'll see if I can wing it to get past the Gym Leaders (and watch out those who play Double Battles).

Good Luck to those competing.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Only stayed for a few hours but had a blast, playing against Articuno64, and co. and the Elite Four also. Rotation Battles was a blast and so was triples.

Also Dark Void is so broken haha.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
Had a great time going through the League. Went through all the gyms, and followed it up by defeating the Elite 4 to become the current champion. However, should someone else win I will not be around to defend my title on Sunday.

Playing a mix of Singles, Doubles, Triples, and Rotation Battles was a refreshing change of pace. Had some really entertaining matches with the Elite 4.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
People have until 2:30PM PST to beat the E4, and if they are the only ones to do so aside from me, they win by default. >_>

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So yeah I got Runner Up to that skilled man right up there ^. Beat 3 of the 4 Elite Four Members but didn't take down the Triples one =[ Got 10 badges at least as well as a nice little Snorlax plush and chain link master ball. Thanks for putting this on Mark! Hadn't been to Victoria in a very long time!

Maybe I'll apply to be a gym leader next year. Jason gave me a very fun and interesting idea for a rotation team >:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)