Media Videogame thread

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think the problem with COD is like Minecraft, Undertale, and FNAF. The fanbase precedes it. We've all heard tales of the angry screaming 8 year olds driving people away from the game. It's probably the only reason people dislike it besides its yearly releases.
I'm pretty certain the yearly releases of 4 hour games are 99% of the reason, and not the fanbase. What with some of the games being fairly shitty as a result. And that, in spite of that, the games get 10/10s like crazy. You don't need a fanatical fanbase when you buy reviews.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Tell me, am I the only one who actually liked CoD: Ghosts and AW in comparison to the Black Ops series which everybody likes?
In comparison, probably.

But Ghosts was the first game I replayed after a while, and I liked the setting and thought the ending set up for a really promising sequel. It was only later that I realized how much of a tired retread the gameplay was, but I don't think it was a bad game.

Advanced Warfare was HELLA fun. But the story sucked and it was pretty shallow compared to BO3.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Zero Time Dilemma, sequel to 999 and Virtue's Last Reward is getting a Steam/Vita/3DS release. No excuses this time folks.

I know that it's hard to take Call of Duty seriously when every game gets mysteriously perfect ratings from critics, but also nothing but 1s from gamers.

And I know this might hurt my hardcore gamer cred

But you guys should check out Black Ops 3. It is genuinely a standout amazing game, I would only say that Bloodborne and Undertale were better in 2015.
Now I'm gonna say that I really liked Advanced Warfare. I thought it was incredibly creative and fun, but it's still such a "do what we tell you and here are some shiny set pieces" kind of game, also the story was super lame.

But while Black Ops 3 is just as creative and fun with its far future technology, it's also an incredibly open and unrestricted game that doesn't rely on set pieces to in order to be fun. You are in total control of what weapons you take into missions, as well as a wide array of cybernetic superpower customization. All these things are bought with experience points that are gained through playing the game on different difficulties and completing challenges, which really makes the game worth replaying. The basic gameplay is intensely fun because it relies on little more than your ability to mess around with fun cyber shit in a solid, smooth FPS experience. And there are motherfucking BOSS FIGHTS.

But at the same time, the story is easily the best in any CoD game, and a strong contender for best story in any FPS game. I realize these are not high bars. Black Ops 3 isn't a masterpiece by any means, but I'd say the story is very comparable to a Total Recall or Blade Runner, and there's a strong Deus Ex vibe throughout. The setting is legit cyberpunk, containing harsh condemnations of American politics and the kind of storytelling that CoD and games like it perpetuate. In other words, if you liked the story of Spec Ops: The Line, but wished that game weren't utter shit, you will fucking love this. And the story only got better with replay and looking at theories and story analysis online.

TL;DR
DIRE WOLVES
Do you play MP and Zombies? I can honestly say I haven't played a campaign since MW2 and the last campaign I actually remember was COD 4. I think BO3 is a good game but I haven't touched the Campaign and probably never will, even after reading this positive post.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
All I know is I had a hella fun time playing through Halo 1-3's campaign in coop. I know for a lot of people the bread-and-butter of FPS games is the multiplayer but I certainly appreciate a good 1P/coop experience. That goes for other MP-centric games as well. Soul Calibur 2 had an amazing 1P experience for a traditional fighting game compared to the usual "Arcade mode with a dash of storyline." I really enjoyed the flavor of Melee's Adventure Mode and felt Brawl's counterpart, SSE, was a bit lacking since the settings and enemies were completely genericized.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Fantasy 9 finally released on Steam, and it's currently getting positive reviews from the first players. Gonna wait and see if that keeps up during the entire time it's price deducted, otherwise I shouldn't have an issue to wait for the Summer Sale so that people can create mods if so needed in the meantime. Still, FF9 is hands down my favorite title of that series, so I'll be happily replay this one even though it's probably my last time doing so.

All I know is I had a hella fun time playing through Halo 1-3's campaign in coop. I know for a lot of people the bread-and-butter of FPS games is the multiplayer but I certainly appreciate a good 1P/coop experience. That goes for other MP-centric games as well. Soul Calibur 2 had an amazing 1P experience for a traditional fighting game compared to the usual "Arcade mode with a dash of storyline." I really enjoyed the flavor of Melee's Adventure Mode and felt Brawl's counterpart, SSE, was a bit lacking since the settings and enemies were completely genericized.
My friends and I were pretty into Soul Calibur 3, with the Ogre Battle 64-styled RTS stronghold-capturing campaign. I also generally prefer co-op in games, which is probably why my roomie and I have sunk so much time into Borderlands / Civ in the past.

My regular laptop died a few weeks ago and I've been stuck with this brick that can't run much until I can save up for a new one. Been missing my New Vegas run-through that I was in the middle of and newer games I wanted to try, but it's given me a reason to play some less-intensive games for the time being. Current favorite is hands-down Lux Delux. It's essentially Risk, but you can play over the internet (competitive online TBS with elements of luck, anyone?) and games take like 10-20 minutes rather than eternity cuz you can click once instead of rolling lots of dice / don't have to physically move and count pieces / no card shuffling / etc. Plus, it has a pretty dedicated community that makes lots of maps and AIs for it, which is fly (the other night, I got to take over the city starting from my neighborhood on an 1850's Philly map, for instance.) Single-player, achievements, and a ladder as well, it's quite solid (and just 10 bucks on Steam without a sale). Sadly missing co-op like the aforementioned Civ, but a great alternative if you're looking to play a few quick games instead of sinking hours into one.

Co-Op is the only reason I absolutely loved RE5 and the only reason I even finished RE6. What a hunk of shit that was. It's also how shooters like the old COD's and Halo 1&2 kept their replay value for me.

When I think of memorable gaming experiences it's usually co-op. Everything else is just a blur in my head.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Final Fantasy 9 finally released on Steam, and it's currently getting positive reviews from the first players. Gonna wait and see if that keeps up during the entire time it's price deducted, otherwise I shouldn't have an issue to wait for the Summer Sale so that people can create mods if so needed in the meantime. Still, FF9 is hands down my favorite title of that series, so I'll be happily replay this one even though it's probably my last time doing so.
I've never played it but my friends are bonkers about this game. Wanted to play it for a while anyway but never got around to emulating it etc. Finally picked it up the other day cause why not. The character models are massively updated to "modern" graphics (they could have touched up the backgrounds a bit though). And the ingame AMV's are still top notch even now. I'm pretty sure the only differences are updated graphics and some changes to the UI/interface (and the addition of some activatable cheats).

IDK how far in I am yet (I have just beaten a boss called Gizmaluke or something) and Zidane is Lv 19... On my way to Bermucia. I'm enjoying it so far however, nothing massively wrong with it apart from the lack of detail in the backgrounds.

I've never really been a fan of CoD's multiplayer formula. Movement is (in most games) very slow and grounded and you die in one or two shots. From what I saw of it wallrunning in Black Ops 3 is very impressive and leads to some neat stuff in comparison. FPS used to be all about advanced movement and having to lead a well-placed rocket to take someone out. Modern FPS often have some weird reductive philosophy for the sake of realism or whatever.

I've never really been a fan of CoD's multiplayer formula. Movement is (in most games) very slow and grounded and you die in one or two shots. From what I saw of it wallrunning in Black Ops 3 is very impressive and leads to some neat stuff in comparison. FPS used to be all about advanced movement and having to lead a well-placed rocket to take someone out. Modern FPS often have some weird reductive philosophy for the sake of realism or whatever.
If anything it's the opposite - the direction recent CODs have been moving towards to is futuristic weaponry/machinery/movement, including things like wall-running and jetpacks. Some people like it and others don't. For me personally, I feel like COD has always been about "slow" (or normal I guess lol) movement where shit's not flying over the screen all the time a la Halo. It definitely adds a new dimension to the multiplayer, but to some extent I really miss the slow play of older CODs. There's no real point in playing slow anymore since you can get around the map so quickly.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If anything it's the opposite - the direction recent CODs have been moving towards to is futuristic weaponry/machinery/movement, including things like wall-running and jetpacks. Some people like it and others don't. For me personally, I feel like COD has always been about "slow" (or normal I guess lol) movement where shit's not flying over the screen all the time a la Halo. It definitely adds a new dimension to the multiplayer, but to some extent I really miss the slow play of older CODs. There's no real point in playing slow anymore since you can get around the map so quickly.
Wouldn't that be battlefield's niche now? Moving slow/realistic ?

Wouldn't that be battlefield's niche now? Moving slow/realistic ?
Battlefield's niche has always been realism over anything else, and for the most part it's always really played the same way (at least since Bad Company 2 which was my first BF). For COD, back in the modern warfare days/WaW/BO1, even though there wasn't anything like wall-running or jet-packs, the game was still relatively fast-paced, with it being infantry-only, having relatively small maps (compared to battlefield), and a high TTK (time to kill). As a result, the games were much quicker-paced that a battlefield game where there's a lot of waiting to get to the objective and finding enemies is a little harder compared to the older CODs. IMO the new CODs are too fast, and the older ones achieved a nice balance of fast, action-packed gameplay, but still having time to react/think about where you're going and what you want to achieve, if that makes sense.

I know this isn't a particular game but should I maybe look into the world of Steam? My issue is that I hardly know a decent title in this library and I'd appreciate some suggestions from the smogon community rather than some other forum.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Steam is amazing definitely get into it Jordanious

some of my favourite games that are on steam are dishonoured, bioshock series, witcher series (excluding 1 maybe, cuz it's dated and i havent played it), dark souls series, axiom verge (metroidvania style game), csgo, skyrim, and transistor

I know this isn't a particular game but should I maybe look into the world of Steam? My issue is that I hardly know a decent title in this library and I'd appreciate some suggestions from the smogon community rather than some other forum.
Gotta recommend Steam. The majority of my PC games I bought there. It works well and I especially like being able to find discussions for whatever game I want to play. Tons of early access games if that is your thing.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Steam is the most universal platform for PC gaming. There's others, but steam is the largest. Great sales and support for everything. With such a huge library, you have to look at what your interests are. We can all recommend you our favorites, but you'll have the most success on the platform if you check out genres you already are interested in.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Yeah Steam has probably the biggest library of games ever, so it seems silly to recommend stuff, but I could check my library for some standouts

Bastion
Civilization V (with expansions)
Freedom Planet
FTL
Papers, Please
Recettear
The Longest Journey
This War of Mine
To the Moon
Torchlight II
Undertale

This starter pack would get you pretty far. And if anyone hasn't played these games, then damn.

I think you have to at least try a moba on Steam whether it's Dota 2, League Of Legends or Smite (preferably Dota in my opinion but this is pure bias).

Civ 5 is another essential again and I think most people played TF2 when they started on Steam, I know I did.

Maybe GTA5 or Garry's Mod but I think Steam promote so may games that when you get it it won't be long before you find some games that you personally love.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)