Media Videogame thread

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
New update to Besiege yesterday added some new levels which I hope to play tonight :3 Looking forward to it.

On the other hand, Killing Floor 2 has gone to Public "greenlight" status. We've been having a pretty good time playing it, but it's not exactly for the faint hearted. Gore to the max, with exploding enemies and blood splatter everywhere. Can also be pretty scary/tense at times. A huge graphical improvement over the first game, it's a shame that most of the enemies are the same, with some slight variations on things. I can't wait for them to add more maps/weapons/skins and things to the game as it progresses towards a Version 1 release.

So I got a free code for Dragon Age Origins on Steam from a friend and I wanna play it this weekend but is it good? The game looks great from what I've seen but I've never played a DA game so Idk what to expect

As someone that had never played games like Dragon Age: Origins before, id say it was great. Fairly difficult (at least for me it was because i wasnt used to the genre at all) but the story was good, and the choices you regularly made were pretty impactful. It's also got a few parts that will challenge your morals (no spoilers here), so if you like games that challenge your emotions and stuff with good gameplay and plot i'd say try it out.

I was pretty hyped for Killing Floor 2... then i saw the page about it. I have a vendetta against anything in """"Early Access"""" after pre-ordering Starbound only for the game to never get updates (its still in early access after 2 years!) and play like complete shit. I could rant about this early access bs for ages... anyways unless KF2 proves to be promising from the get go i won't be buying it until full release just because of the bad taste Starbound left in my mouth.

Civilization: Beyond Earth is overly hated, i actually think its pretty good after adjusting to how things play in there, just beat the Gemini difficulty (hard) pretty easily so i might try Soyuz/Apollo (where the game just turns into a shitstorm of unbalanced AI) and see how it goes. I will agree that Civ:BE needs some more balancing though...academy spam is ridiculously OP. Its also kinda lacking the "lore" that Civ 5 has, but i think the gameplay is more interesting. The devs said they acknowledge these concerns and plan to release a free big update in "a few months" (this was announced a month ago, and think dlc level update). The last balancing patch made the game a lot more playable though, so if anyone gave up on the game and went back to Civ 5 (i hear a lot of people did) i'd say give it another go.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I was pretty hyped for Killing Floor 2... then i saw the page about it. I have a vendetta against anything in """"Early Access"""" after pre-ordering Starbound only for the game to never get updates (its still in early access after 2 years!) and play like complete shit. I could rant about this early access bs for ages... anyways unless KF2 proves to be promising from the get go i won't be buying it until full release just because of the bad taste Starbound left in my mouth.
I heard about StarBound, but the Killing Floor Team/TripWire have already released one hit game, they know what they are doing. They aren't going to shy away. It will quite likely end up being one of my favourite games and has not disappointed me yet. Unfortunately, I am seeing more and more "proper" developers using Early Access as an incentive to get people into buying their game early. CodeMasters has started to do it for their new Rally game to guage reactions, and it seems to be working well. But I am pretty worried about other developers going down this route too.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Hey, I have four closed beta keys for Heroes of the Storm (NA region) and I was wondering if anybody's played the game? (How is it?) Also, if anybody wants one they can PM me and I'll give them one :)

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's a bit fresh after playing lots of original Dota and League. Very dumb and simple, definitely casual, but it seems good in its own ways. Instead of items, every champ has a really complex list of traits you choose as you level them up with, making individual champs a bit more complex. Also some champs are just way more complex than LoL champs, which works better than in Dota since the core gameplay is super simple. There are multiple maps and it's all objective based and super snowbally. It's worth trying, like Smite I'll probably give it a bit more time before I get bored with it.

Also, I would like a key. I just played it at a friend's house.

I picked up Grow Home during the summer sale, and it's all I've been doing today. The controls are a little awkward at first; you control each hand of your robo-dude, so you alternate between clicking and holding the two buttons as you climb, which you'll be doing a shitload of. The cool thing is, you can climb anything, from trees to mountains. The main goal is to make this huge plant grow higher and higher, allowing you to reach different floating islands. The whole sandbox vibe is really cool, and there are a lot of little quirks to play around with as you explore ever higher. Definitely worth checking out if you're looking for an open-world game with a unique style.

I've also been liking FEZ a lot so far. It's a cute platformer and the rotating camera angles adds a really cool dynamic that I dig. It's probably the game I'm most looking forward to going back to and finishing once I try out some other new buys (Ori and the Blind Forest, A Bird Story, Arkham Knight, A Story About My Uncle, and Qbeh-1, which should keep me occupied for a while~)

Other games I've been playing since my last update:
Hexcells and Hexcells Infinite: You can skip the first one unless you're a completionist; it's really easy and only takes an hour to 100%. Infinite, on the other hand, is fantastic. All the praise I had for Hexcells Plus and more goes to this game, which has a randomizer that allows you to play it for the rest of your life :o
Bastion: I've enjoyed what I've played of it so far, but it hasn't really gotten me as hooked as I expected. The narrator is pretty cool and the gameplay's fun enough, but I'll probably need more time with it.
realMyst: I always wanted to try out Myst, so I was happy to get this in a bundle. So far, it's pretty nifty. It'll probably be a slow-burn kind of game for me to play a little bit at a time.
Evoland: It was pretty short, but overall it was a fun game to blaze through. Evoland 2 looks like it'll be a longer game with even more going for it, so I'm looking forward to that coming out :3
The Night of the Rabbit: A charming point-and-click adventure, but it hasn't sucked me in yet. I'm sure I'll enjoy playing around in it more, but there are a bunch of other games that are higher on my list for now.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
Orange Islands
Anyone have any issues with Fallout 3 crashing like a beast?

I want to play it again after playing it ages ago, but now I can't seem to run the game for more than 5 minutes without it crashing (total lock up, nothing the same each time). I know the game was inherently pretty unstable, but this is crazy.

I'll have another go at it tonight fiddling with settings, but I can't seem to figure out what's causing the issue.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Most well-known games I picked up during the steam sale have glowing reviews already, so I wanted to talk about an indie I picked up. It's called The Fall, and it's about an AI in a combat suit tasked with protecting its human occupant after it falls from space with no memory.

It's actually a mix of a point and click adventure with a dark metroid-like platformer. The characters are all written super well, the atmosphere is fantastic, and the gameplay is really nice. The puzzles can get seriously convoluted sometimes, though. It's like a blend of super metroid, the swapper, limbo, and monkey island. It seems to be the first of several episodes, so I wouldn't recommend paying $10 for it, but it was a pretty engrossing experience

Anyone have any issues with Fallout 3 crashing like a beast?

I want to play it again after playing it ages ago, but now I can't seem to run the game for more than 5 minutes without it crashing (total lock up, nothing the same each time). I know the game was inherently pretty unstable, but this is crazy.

I'll have another go at it tonight fiddling with settings, but I can't seem to figure out what's causing the issue.
My best friend's actually been playing it a lot this past week, and she's not had any issues with it, so it's not a problem for everyone.

This might help:

Best of luck, dude~

Edit: If the video itself doesn't actually help, the guy who made the video is quite helpful to people in the comments section :3

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
"Life is strange"
It's currently on episode 3 if i'm not mistaken, i recommend it to everyone, seriously
I really liked this game. The dialogue could get a little odd at times, but for the most part is is good. I really enjoyed the soundtrack and that the game could get emotional and even stressful at certain points. I also liked all the little small things you could interact with in the world.

Then I killed my plant AND I WILL NEVER GET HIM BACK ;________________;

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
I really liked this game. The dialogue could get a little odd at times, but for the most part is is good. I really enjoyed the soundtrack and that the game could get emotional and even stressful at certain points. I also liked all the little small things you could interact with in the world.

Then I killed my plant AND I WILL NEVER GET HIM BACK ;________________;
poor Lisa :(

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Been playing axiom verge. This is the true 2D Metroid successor. Fuck that Metroid Prime Federation Force pussy ass bullshit game.

Seriously though, Axiom Verge is really fucking cool. It takes the exploration/backtracking elements from Metroid (and metroidvanias too :p) and puts them to good use, with cool as hell upgrades hidden around. Not /too/ difficult but not too easy. A reviewer said it's difficult but not to the point where it would outright frustrate you, which I definitely agree with.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Has finally dusted off my copy of Civilisation 5, and it immediately began as a fun experience, I'm getting back my vibes from the days I played Civ 2.

That is, until I started a file on Prince (Normal) difficulty.

I. Am. Getting. Thrashed. By everyone. Jesus Christ.
As an update, I've now decided to put this game on the shelf after hoarding a bit more than half the achievements. After getting into it, this is a much better and challenging installment than Civ 2, although I had to do some extensive reading to understand some of the more passive and subtle effects certain things had. Was also delightfully surprised to see that you can decide when on the timeline you wanted to start, so completing victories quickly through science is a good way to farm leader achievements. Also 'beat' the ggame on the highest difficulty this way, just had to be prepared to fend off an entire army around the time my first spaceship part was built, but the alterations to the standard settings certainly makes the victory less sweet, if at all. So yeah, excellent game that could have kept me entertained for a good while longer, but I have other games to play. Don't buy it if you don't have dozens of hours at your disposal.

And as context, the frustration in my above quote came from playing a file on an Earth map, which makes for much much less resources and good city spots to go with (easy to forget how many mountains and deserts our home has :V).

II've also been liking FEZ a lot so far. It's a cute platformer and the rotating camera angles adds a really cool dynamic that I dig. It's probably the game I'm most looking forward to going back to and finishing once I try out some other new buys
FEZ is a neat game, and something that should keep you busy exploring for a good while while straining your gray cells in the progress. One of the two major complaints I have are how weird the map system was, getting your bearing or simply locating a room you've been in before was rarely an easy task. The other is that several of the puzzles for the dark cubes went way outside the box in terms of thinking, I disctintively remember how one puzzle required you to spell out the name of one of the people who made the game, so solutions like that only makes me groan out loud in annoyance. Just figuring out their alphabet system too is also tricky for non-american players, since there's apparently a map with a nursery rhyme re-enacted with the text on stone slabs around it, but for everyone not schooled with it, you just see it as a nice scenery and then move on.

So yeah, good game, but while thinking outside the box is basically the plot itself, I think they overdid it in some aspects, although the regular cubes and bits were fine to collect.

Other games I've played recently:

Fireburst - Racing game, with the added twist that you can set others on fire by being on fire yourself (flawless logic). The challenge is to not overheat by not overdoing your own flame and by avoiding competitors and oil barrels, while cooling off in water puddles and water barrels, while at the same time earning a good ranking. The game feels like a parody, where every single character is a stereotype of something, and there are no cups (although personal challenges for 8 of the characters), so not buying this game won't be a loss.

Zack Zero - Decent platformer where you control three elements (fire, ice and earth) as a hero stuck in a Super Mario setting (girl kidnapped by evil lizard). The 3D graphics are actually rather nice, but while it has depth, you're only playing it as 2D, which sometimes makes you unable to hit the enemies if they're not entirely in sync with the hero's line of sight. Weirdly enough, the non-boss cut scenes were all hand drawn by an artist whose skill isn't of the level you'd expect for this game, with all of it narrated by the same voice, so the times you learned more about the plot felt more like someone reading a children's book story than developing through the game. Appropriately enough, the plot also seems to be tailored for children, since it doesn't come with anything new and just repeat the usual hostage drama. The final nail in the coffin is that the game don't actually end, but instead result in a cliffhanger that will supposedly be solved in the next installation. If you already own the game, it makes for some fun platforming, but I advise against buying it otherwise.

Droid Assault - I played it earlier and then dropped it, but re-visiting it now, completing this game wasn't a hard challenge, in contrast to other Puppy Games titles. You're a rogue droid trying to revolt against the robotic hivemind, by seizing control of other droids. Most of the time you'll just be destroying them to progress to the next level and hopefully find some upgrades, but getting a droid of the next level certainly helps. However, of the 9 possible classes/levels, I still beat the game with a fully upgraded level 5, so the droid itself isn't everything since the improvements certainly goes a long way. Beating the bosses of each area is also made easier since this game has something that's rarely found in other Puppy Games: impenetrable covers. The last boss was certainly dangerous and had long range, but as long as you tip toe around the pillars around the area, you can beat it by thinking ahead of its movement. The levels themselves can certainly overwhelm if you're careless and let multiple droids assault you at once, so that's where the real challenge is. Overall, nice game, Puppy Games has a solid niche carved out for them.

Spelunky - Started this game thinking it was your standard bread-and-butter platformer that I would have beaten in a few hours, and BOY was I proven wrong. Everything in the levels can kill you, and if you idle around for too long, the game will make sure to fasten your pace with a homing ghost. It's a game that's just simple and motivating enough to keep playing, but that WILL cause you numerous occasions of anguish whenever you mispredict a jump or just straight up gets mauled by a stray enemy. I currently have all the shortcuts completed, so I'll have the game beaten soon enough, but it has been a long road there. Fantastic game, but it's hard. Don't think otherwise.

I hate open world games... why do they need to make every game a Skyrim clone these days? they've ruined several series like Dragon Age, The Witcher, Final Fantasy, and others for me.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I hate open world games... why do they need to make every game a Skyrim clone these days? they've ruined several series like Dragon Age, The Witcher, Final Fantasy, and others for me.
The Witcher as a game makes more sense to be open world honestly. The Witcher 2's world was fine but really who likes invisible walls?

Also it makes more sense if you read the books and accept that TW games are based off them.

Well Mount and Blade's been an open world game since the beginning, which was way before Skyrim. It's also far far far far far away from being a "Skyrim clone", it's actually one of the most unique RPG games out there...

Also imo TW games are based on the books very loosely. I haven't played 3 but as a huge fan of the books I really tried to forget I ever read them when I played The Witcher sometimes. (Seriously, shoving Triss down my throat makes me go into nerd rage)

aVocado

@ Everstone
Well Mount and Blade's been an open world game since the beginning, which was way before Skyrim. It's also far far far far far away from being a "Skyrim clone", it's actually one of the most unique RPG games out there...

Also imo TW games are based on the books very loosely. I haven't played 3 but as a huge fan of the books I really tried to forget I ever read them when I played The Witcher sometimes. (Seriously, shoving Triss down my throat makes me go into nerd rage)
Yeah tbh TW2 wasn't exactly based a lot on the books and I didn't like Triss much but TW3 looks a lot more inspired with Ciri and the likes. I haven't played it yet though so I'm on the same boat.

It just kills replayability for me when every area is unnecessarily big and empty, full of Assassin's Creed-like generic "quests" like killing bandits or monster nests. And the story suffers as well (think Skyrim's 2-hour long story), which is more noticeable when I skip all of the optional crap. I didn't mind DA Inquisition that much (though I will never replay it), but The Witcher 3 is much less enjoyable for me than the second installment, all thanks to the open world format. Final Fantasy 15 looks even worse and I won't even buy it.

Although I sort of agree, I must say that newer open world games aren't bad at all. It's just that there are way too many of them. But saying they ruined previous good series for you sounds a bit exaggerated, imho. I mean, if you don't like it, just don't play it. I don't see how those newer open world games affect older open world games for you in a negative way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)