Media Videogame thread

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
is zestria the only recent-ish option for a decent jrpg on either 3ds or ps3?

i occasionally dabble back into video games on random weekends but prefer to play jrpgs to get that nostalgic feelings from 15 years ago so im always on the lookout for a decent to good new jrpg
ni no kuni? child of light?

guess the latter isn't exactly a "j"rpg tho

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.

i occasionally dabble back into video games on random weekends but prefer to play jrpgs to get that nostalgic feelings from 15 years ago so im always on the lookout for a decent to good new jrpg
I mean, best place to start is to look at what you've played and from there we can gauge which jrpgs you may enjoy. No No Kuni is definitely worth picking up. It's arguably the best jrpg on the PS3.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
recent games or all time?

i mean at least on irc it's known im a bit of a jrpg nut; ive played the chrono series / mana series / suikoden series / all the FFs / a lot of the Tactics Ogres / both the Legaia games / 3 of the xeno games / tons of tales games / tons of DQ games

ive also played a lot of the gb adv / ds / 3ds rpgs (too many to list)

yea, ive already played ni no kuni / child of light and 3 weeks ago i bought and finished lost dimension

Lyto

Experience Tranquility
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You might want to try the shin megami tensei/persona series if you haven't already, most are available on ps3 (and the most recent smt is usually on sale on the 3ds store) so they shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

You should get into the Persona series if you haven't already.

EDIT: Seconding the Shin Megami Tensei recommendation.

Last edited:
You might want to try the shin megami tensei/persona series if you haven't already, most are available on ps3 (and the most recent smt is usually on sale on the 3ds store) so they shouldn't be too hard to get a hold of?
your avi is from one of my all time favorite games... is there a legitimate sequel or just a bunch of rumors some weeb started. As far as the game goes I beat the entire thing on hard mode after grinding maximum job levels on all my characters and running this build (for the final bosses of course)

Tiz: Freelancer: Job Command: Martial Arts: Support Abilities: Natural Talent, Knuckle Lore, Buff Up, Angelic Ward (obviously no items because of Natural Talent)

Anges: Freelancer: Job Command: Dark Arts: Support Abilities: Katana Lore, Dual Wield, Buff Up. Items: Mutsu-no-Kami (x2), Ribbon, Brave Suit, Black Belt (no vestal garb)

Ringabel: Freelancer: Job Command: White Magic: Support Abilities: Healing Lore, Holy One, Stop Immunity. Items: Defender, Bloody Shield, Gold Hairpin, Lordly Robes, Safety Ring

Edea: Freelancer: Job Command: Holy Arts: Support Abilities: Sword Lore, Protect Ally, Absorb Physical Damage, Absorb Magical Damage, Default Guard. Items: Blood Blade, Aegis Shield, Genji Helm, Brave Suit, Genji Gloves

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
your avi is from one of my all time favorite games... is there a legitimate sequel or just a bunch of rumors some weeb started. As far as the game goes I beat the entire thing on hard mode after grinding maximum job levels on all my characters and running this build (for the final bosses of course)

Tiz: Freelancer: Job Command: Martial Arts: Support Abilities: Natural Talent, Knuckle Lore, Buff Up, Angelic Ward (obviously no items because of Natural Talent)

Anges: Freelancer: Job Command: Dark Arts: Support Abilities: Katana Lore, Dual Wield, Buff Up. Items: Mutsu-no-Kami (x2), Ribbon, Brave Suit, Black Belt (no vestal garb)

Ringabel: Freelancer: Job Command: White Magic: Support Abilities: Healing Lore, Holy One, Stop Immunity. Items: Defender, Bloody Shield, Gold Hairpin, Lordly Robes, Safety Ring

Edea: Freelancer: Job Command: Holy Arts: Support Abilities: Sword Lore, Protect Ally, Absorb Physical Damage, Absorb Magical Damage, Default Guard. Items: Blood Blade, Aegis Shield, Genji Helm, Brave Suit, Genji Gloves
A sequel, Bravely Second: End Layer, was announced in December 2013 and was released in Japan on April 23, 2015, and will be released in North America and Europe in 2016.

So I just reread a certain Game Informer, and a game I heard about from it popped back into my mind. I went and searched.
So, No Man's Sky seems like it's going to be a fun game. Don't mean to change the topic Blue_Tornado, but I had to talk about this. I love exploration games where there are unique animals. Spore was a favorite game of mine for a long time. No Man's Sky seems like it will be everything I wanted in the space stage of Spore, and I can't want to play. Has anyone else heard of it before this? Are you planning to buy it? I'm definitely buying it, and alongside Abzu No Man's Sky is one of my most anticipated games.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
No Mans Sky looks absolutely phenomenal. I'm sort of trying to not get hyped too much... And I am really hoping for a PC release. I don't want to get a PS4 for it. I am super interested in how it's going to play out, because you can start literally anywhere, and the devs themselves have had to send out probes into the galaxy they have created in order to map stuff. The newest trailer looks ace too.

No Mans Sky looks absolutely phenomenal. I'm sort of trying to not get hyped too much... And I am really hoping for a PC release. I don't want to get a PS4 for it. I am super interested in how it's going to play out, because you can start literally anywhere, and the devs themselves have had to send out probes into the galaxy they have created in order to map stuff. The newest trailer looks ace too.
It is also coming to PC. c:

I'll uh, append this to my post then.

Legend of Heroes, Trails in the Sky is an awesome heartful detailed little JRPG which isn't little at all actually, it is chock full of dialogue and it's a damn trilogy to boot. But really, really solid, and a huge find for JRPG fans.

Because it has so much dialogue, it took a long time for them to localize the second part in the trilogy but it finally came out on steam yesterday. You all should play the first and then the second.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
lf: suggestions for a good 15 ish dollar game on the 3ds eshop
I liked all the games in the Pushmo series, each one is a puzzle platformer (every sequel adds a refreshing new twist): Pushmo, Crashmo, Pushmo World (FTP), and Stretchmo --pretty sure they're around 15 bucks but I'm too lazy to check, at least less than retail price though

HarmoKnight is a rhythm platformer/action/adventure game by GAME FREAK, makers of Pokemon (but actually nothing like pokemon). At exactly fifteen dollars it has nice art, great music, and a lot of levels (along with some secret levels, collectibles, and another hard mode to keep you playing long after you complete the final game).

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labryinth is also on sale for only 20 bucks (yay), so there's that too.

Anyone here been playing Halo 5?
me
i got onyx league (think masters on LoL) on swat but stopped there cause the spawns and arena maps (as in, literally all of them) are atrocious, you get the same dudes every game just on diff teams, and champion league is a boring grind that im not sure is worth cuz the devs wanna do seasonal resets and no rewards afaik
campaign was decent for 343 expectations (no spoilerino)
i find the most fun in warzone, cant wait for the btb playlist though cause even warzone can get boring after a few hours.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE INFECTION PLAYLIST ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Add me. idiot from mars on xbl. Got Onyx in SWAT as well and Diamond in Slayer. I really liked the challenge of the campaign on solo legendary. Definitely seemed a step over 4 in that regard, but it definitely took a nose dive story wise.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
is there any game that is just a really good character creator and nothing else because thats really all i want in a game

is there any game that is just a really good character creator and nothing else because thats really all i want in a game
The Sims 4 of course, it has one of the best sim creators right now. I'd wait for a Pets expansion though, because that's the pack I always need to have when I play.
There is the whole thing with then playing as the sims, but if I remember right there is somewhere a place where you can only makes sims.

Spore is another good title. It's heavily oriented over customizing you cell, creature, and then final form. It does have just a Creature creator mode, and you can make vehicles too. If you played the game from beginning to end, you would have to play through every stage and with the fighting, not dying, etc.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
can someone find me more earthbound-esque written games

basically: story-driven, really unique games (idrc about gameplay, as long as its not terribad)

and yes i know about undertale

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)