1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Violent Sandstorm - A Sand Team RMT

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by JoshuaMunoz, Dec 30, 2012.

1. JoshuaMunoz

JoshuaMunoz

Hello Smogonites! Today I present you a balanced sand team which I made quite recently. It's done pretty good, though it struggles against very offensive rain teams with Starmie, Specs Toad, Tornadus-T and all those Rain threats. My team features Banded Tyranitar and Scarfed Keldeo to break each others counters. Amoonguss and Landorus-T as defensive cores. Heatran is here to get rid of threats in the metagame, and also to take ice types my defensive core can't handle. Terrakion is here as well as a pretty decent sweeper. Anyway, let us get in to the team!

THE TEAM​

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

OK, before we start, let's look at the team. Four weaknesses to water with only two resists. Three weaknesses to Ground with only one immunity.Three weaknesses to grass with only Two resists (but they are good 4x resists, so I dont really mind that). I don't know whether I should replace my Pokemon or not. They do a great job together, but that usually comes at a price, that is where you, the raters, will help me make a better team.

[​IMG] BENEATH THE SAND [​IMG]

[​IMG] @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower​

[​IMG] @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Hydro Pump
    - Secret Sword
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Surf​

[​IMG] @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 244 HP / 8 SAtk / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Calm Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Spore
    - Stun Spore
    - Clear Smog
    - Giga Drain

[​IMG] @ Rock Gem
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat​

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn ​

[​IMG] @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Flame Charge
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Grass]​

[​IMG] THE CONCLUSION [​IMG]

Well that is it for my first RMT on the OU tier. Hopefully I get the help I need. I also want to thank you guys in advance, just because I've got nothing else to say. :toast:
  2. Alexander.

Alexander. Banned deucer.

Hello there, I got your VM.

I think this is a nice sand team, I like a lot the use of Flame Charge Heatran anyway I have some advice to give you so let's start with the rate!

First of all, your team has a big weakness to Sheer Force Landorus. It beats Heatran, Tyranitar, Terrakion, Landorus-T easily and you can only revenge-kill it with Keldeo. Therefore, I suggest you to use special defensive Celebi, replacing Amoonguss. It has a similiar typing, Natural Cure to avoid annoying status and it can tank easily Sheer Force Landorus' attacks. I will post its set below in this same rate. Then, Calm Mind Keldeo is quite problematic, he beats Heatran, Terrakion, Landorus, Tyranitar and he can beat your Amoonguss if he has Substitute. Therefore, I suggest you to move 24 EVs from SDef to SAtk. 28 EVs in SAtk allows to break Keldeo's Substitute also after two Calm Minds so now Keldeo isn't a problem for your team. Finally, I don't like at all Hidden Power Grass on Heatran because it doesn't hit very hard bulky water types anyway so I suggest you to change Hidden Power Grass into Hidden Power Ice on Heatran. It allows to hit Landorus and dragon types and that can be useful in many chances. I'd also use Air Ballon, replacing Leftovers, it isn't a very useful item for an offensive pokèmon like Flame Charge Heatran otherwise Air Ballon can be helpful to setup against some ground types like Landorus-T and to avoid ground attacks for 1 turn.

Hope I helped with this rate, good luck.

Celebi's set:

Show Hide

[​IMG]
    Celebi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 SDef / 24 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Giga Drain
    - U-turn
    - Recover
    - Perish Song
  3. TheStriker

TheStriker

Hi. Got your request.

This team has no flaws on the outside but Substitute is a big problem. Many of these users wreck havoc your team so I will see later how to fix the problem. For now, I see Amoonguss is useless on such an offensive team like this, it also has crappy healing and with offense like this I recommend using its brother, SLowbro. Slowbro is an excellent change on this team due to the coverage it provides.

[​IMG]
    Slowbro | Leftovers
    Regenerator
    252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SDef
    Bold Nature
    Fire Blast | Scald | Protect | Toxic

Yea. This is a lazy rate. I will rate later if I have time.
  4. Funkasaurus

Funkasaurus i know what is next, but you won't believe me
    is a Tutoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Hello there,

Nice sand balance team. Since you said Starmie, Specs Toed and Tornadus-T are the biggest threats to the team, I'll work off those. First off, for the Starmie / Specs Toed weakness, I recommend using a Latias > Amoonguss. While Amoonguss has Regenerator, Latias has a more reliable recovery move in, well, Recover. In the defense department, Latias has base 90 and 130 defenses, while Amoonguss has base 70 and 80 respectively. Latias is also a good check to RP Landorus-I, which when set up can put in quite the dent to this team. As for the Tornadus-T weakness, I recommend a Jirachi > Heatran. Jirachi is a fantastic counter to Tornadus as it tanks all the moves it throws at it. As a plus, Jirachi's Body Slam can also provide support for your CB Tar, paralyzing things that would normally outspeed it. Also, Jirachi fares well against the Lati twins which, if Ttar can't stop them, can punch a dent into your team. Anyways, nice team and good luck.

Sets (open)

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Recover
    - Surf

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Wish
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Protect

5. Shurtugal

Shurtugal The Enterpriser.

Hey! I've seen you around PokeBattleCenter x3

I'd replace Amo with SDef Rotom-W, they perform nearly the same role only Wash counters more of those rain threats and it gets VSwitch momentum. Lando-T can take Fighting hits all day so I wouldn't worry too much, but Keldeo is quite a huge threat now. By replacing your Heatran with LO Latias I feel your team would be complete. Keldeo resists U-turn and BP so Scizor's aren't that threatening imo. Latias also helps with Sun alongside Band Tar trapping Ninetales so I wouldn't worry too much about those either ;]

Latias 100% counters rain Keldeo so you should be safe now with the addition of SDef Wash. I'll give you the sets below! GL!

~! Shurty

Sets (open)

Rotom-W @ Leftovers / Chesto Berry
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 Hp / 28 SAtk / 232 SDef
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunder Wave
    - Pain Split / Rest

Latias @ Life Orb
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 72 Hp / 184 SAtk / 252 Spe
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Roost

EDIT: I feel Salac Berry over Rock Gem would be better for this team with my changes ;]
  6. Electrolyte

Electrolyte Spring break, motherfucker
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Hey, I got your request ^^

Before I suggest you change anything else, I suggest you change your bulky Landorus spread. I'd give it a spread of 244 HP / 64 Atk / 200 Def Adamant- as the bulk difference is minimal, whilst giving you a lot more power.

With this change, the need for Amoonguss lowers, as many others have noticed also. You have a great fighting type counter in Landorus, and Amoonguss really drags your team's momentum down. I like Funkadaurus's idea of Latias over Amoonguss; it gives you a lot more power / speed and you don't lose the anility to counter fast Dragons or Breloom / Keldeo / Grass types. It has great synergy with the rest of your team too. If you want a more defensive way to improve your team, I think you could switch Keldeo with Specially Defensive Rotom-W.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Calm / 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
    Volt Switch / Hydro Pump / Thunder Wave / Pain Split

This is a more defensive take than offensive- and I think it's definitely something you should try out. Rotom does have good synergy with the rest of your team, to start off. it can work well with both Amoonguss and Landorus, walling Rain and Volt Switching to keep your defensive momentum. Its ability to counter most Rain teams effectively will definitely be of great help, especially when handling Starmie, Lati@s, or Tornadus. Volt Switch lets you pivot as well as hit bulky waters fairly hard, as even without little investment it's STAB and SE to Politoed. Hydro Pump is another move for attacking- and, when boosted by an opponent's Rain, can also dismantle teams quite easily. It also makes up for lost water type coverage that Keldeo had. Twave and Pain Split are your support moves. TWave cripplesphysical attackers such as Dragons and give you a much easier time beating them. It also cripples walls and threats you want defeated ASAP. Pain Split is for 'recovery'- it heals you up as well as damages high health opponents such as Blissey / Chansey- again, fulfilling one of Keldeo's roles somewhat (either way, you have Terrakion, and Lando's EQ does ~40% to blissey iirc) Rotom can also defeat Landorus-I one on one, as FB doesn't KO and HPump does.

Good luck!

EDIT:
    With the change of Rotom, it might be nexessary to make Amoonguss Physically Defensive in order to counter Loom / Grass types a bit better. Of course, with Lando-T, it's probably not 100% nexessary but just in case I'll give you the spread:

Physically Defensive Amoonguss:
    252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpA Bold

Max HP and Def give you max bulk, while 28 SpA beats Keldeo-R
  7. JoshuaMunoz

JoshuaMunoz

@A l e x a n d e r : Thank you for the rate, I was questioning why I had Lefties on Heatran anyway, so I defenitely am gonna check that Air Balloon out. Also checking Celebi. :]

@TheStriker I dunno, but I just don't wanna have two water types in my team, and it also adds to a Grass weakness, but thanks for the rate anyway :]

@Funkasaurus I actually remembered replacing Latias for Amoonguss a while back, guess I gotta put that back in, thanks for the rate :]

@Shurtugal I dont remember ever being in PokebattleCenter X3. But I defenitely agree on switching Amoonguss to Rotom-W because they both counter Rain teams well, and also can status an opponent. I'll also check Latias out, thanks for the rate :]

@Electrolyte Thanks for the rate :] I agree with the Lando-T set, and having Latias in the team. Though I think I would prefer changing my Amoonguss for that Rotom-W set you have. :]

@Organization Member XIV OK, I'll try to replace Rock Gem with Salac, thanks for the rate :]
  8. chimpact

chimpact fire nation
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Hey there, got your request.

Your team is pretty offensive for the most part and Amoongus kind of breaks that rhythm. You should really replace it for an offensive pokemon that has similar resists to it or can play a similar role in taking hits. Going with Funk's Latias set is not a bad idea as it gives your team an offensive answer to Keldeo and Landorus.

Additionally, I don't know what those EVs on Landorus-T accomplish, but going with just a simple spread of Adamant 252 hp/ 4 atk / 252 def gives you 19 more attack with 12 less defense points.

Lastly, you could try out a sunny day heatran set over your flame charge one. it gives you a better matchup against rain teams. It's not completely dead weight if you manage to get off a sunny day on a politoed or tentacruel. And you could potentially trap Politoed and opposing Tyranitar (if they come in) with Magma storm to win the weather war and help Latias live longer. it definitely plays differently than flame charge Heatran, but I feel it would be less of a liability in certain games.

heatran (open)
    Heatran @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Sunny Day
    - Magma Storm
    - Earth Power / Hidden Power [Ice] / Taunt
    - Solar Beam

Taunt could be used to be a stall breaker against blissey or something to beat it 1v1 if it doesnt carry T-wave and para you to death, while hp ice is obviously for dragons and a guaranteed hit against gliscor when you don't want to miss magma storm.

Hope I helped and good luck!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)