Other Metagames Viridescent - Grass Monotype Team

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Introduction
Hi, I am Alpha-Harpreet,a monotype player. I made this grass monotype early sun and moon and was recently focusing on grass monotype, laddering with this team I managed to reach 1500+ with 76 gxe under the alt-'The Leaf Harp' with this team. It is very fun laddering with a mono grass team as it is a challenging type to use in metagame where steel is everywhere and I thoroughly enjoyed using this team. So to improve my team further I am here with my first rmt, here it is Viridescent!:
Team

Venusaur-Mega (M) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis
Mega venusaur acts as all purpose grass wall and has the ability thick fat which reduces damage from fire and ice attacks. The evs used are for maximizing its ability to take physical hits. As for the moveset,Earthquake helps out in taking out heatran which is other wise a trouble for mono grass team. Earthquake catches many heatran off guard as many players switch in heatran into venusaur mega expecting hp fire or Giga drain. Sludge bomb is a stab move with a nifty 30% chance to poison and really helps vs opposing grass,fairy and neutral targets. Hp fire is for steel types such as scizor,skarmory and ferrothorn. Synthesis is for recovery. I dropped the grass stab move on mega venusaur as I think earthquake is more valuable on it.

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect
Ferrothorn on the team not only acts as a specially defensive Pokemon with max investment in sp.def that lets it sponge strong special moves but it is also one of the hazard stack user on the team with spikes.Ferrothorn on the team helps in tanking ice beams from the likes of kyurem-B and other strong special attackers. Spikes allows ferrothorn to punish switch ins. Leech seed acts as a pseudo recovery move that goes very well with spikes as spikes discourages switches and leech seed forces to switches. Protect is to help scout,recover health or stall with leech seed.Since ferrothorn is very slow,gyro ball is used as an attacking move which also helps in not making ferrothorn a total taunt bait. Gyro ball can hit faster neutral targets hard.As for the item leftovers is used for more recovery in conjunction with leech seed.

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Recover
Cradily on the team is one of the checks to charizard y and volcorona. Cradily with its amazing sp.def sponges special attacks for the team.Cradily is the Stealth rock user on the team as it can set up Stealth rock even in fire match ups. Rockslide is for charizard y and volcorona both of which are huge threats to mono grass teams. Toxic helps to put opposing wall or a set up sweeper on a timer and gradually wearing it down.Recover is used for sustain and leftovers as an item for some recovery.Cradily and ferrothorn acts as a hazard stack core and combined with mega venusaur, the trio gradually wears down the opposing team. As for the ability on cradily, it has suction cups as it allows it to stop opposing phazers and racking residual damage to my team. Storm drain is an option but this is mono grass team not rock xD

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
Breloom a staple on mono grass team is an amazing Pokemon as it has access to spore which lets it cripple opposing Pokemon,mach punch a technician boosted priority attack that helps vs steel,Normal,dark,Ice match ups.Mach punch is also a great move to clean late game and revenge kill when the opponents team is weakened. Rock tomb Combined with focus sash allows breloom to take out volcorona,charizard y and mega pinsir 1v1. Where as bullet seed is a very good multi strike move that is boosted by technician. Adamant nature is used for more power.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt
Next I needed a wallbreaker on my team and tapu bulu fits in well perfectly. With a choice band,130base attack and grassy terrain, it hits very hard with its grass stab move denting even those targets that resist it's grass stab. Horn leech is the safe move as it has no recoil damage and it also heals the user. Superpower helps vs heatran or other steel types such as ferrothorn. Zen headbutt is for poison types like toxapex or mega venusaur which can be hard to kill. Lastly stone edge is used and is mostly a filler move that has caught some flying or fire Pokemon on the switch.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Trick
Since the team by now is pretty slow I needed a scarf user and a good pivot and scarf rotom-mow fills this role very well. Scarf rotom-mow helps in dealing with threats like mega pinsir,charizard y,scarf heracross.As for the Moveset,volt switch is for the obvious momentum gaining. Thunderbolt is a stronger stab move capable of ko or severely denting mega pinsir,charizard y and scarf heracross. Leaf storm is a strong stab move that is used to finish off neutral targets. Lastly I have trick to cripple walls or set up sweeper.
Closing:
Thanks for taking a look at my team. If you see any flaws, obvious or not, or any way in which to improve the team, please let me know. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks a lot!
There are a lot of threats to a monotype grass team but I will bring up the main ones:
: Bug types like mega pinsir,volcarona,scizor pose a huge threat to my team as I have few checks to stop them reliably. Mega pinsir can be checked by breloom if it has focus sash intact or scarf rotom mow can check mega pinsir. Volcarona is checked by rock slide cradily as cradily can live +1 bug buzz from volcarona and kill it with rock slide. Breloom can 1v1 volcarona as well IF focus sash is intact ._. and lastly scizor is a threat mega or not, and only mega venusaur on my team checks it with hp fire which is a 2hko.
: Fire and flying is a very bad match up for mono grass team and charizard y is a huge threat to mono grass team i have cradily to kill with rock slide as it survives fire blast in the sun.
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cradily in Sun: 217-256 (57.7 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
But cradily cant switch into it so i have to sack something everytime it comes in and so it is a threat.
: Togekiss is also a threat as it can hax its way to victory with a scarf air slash or the nasty plot thunder wave set.
These were some of the major threats to my team there are many but this is all I can think of.

Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Recover

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Trick

Shoutouts
Thanks to Dragotic for helping me out with the banner for this rmt and Shine Drive for laddering with me and a fun time!

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hey Alpha-Harpreet cool team, I have a few minor suggestions for the team!

The EVs were changed to 252/88+/168 to make Ferrothorn tank more hits on both sides. This allows you to live 2 Ice Beams from Manaphy at +3 while still being able to live 2 +1 Earthquakes from Mega Gyarados and avoid 2 ohko from Adamant LO Excadrill's Earthquake.

I noticed that the team lacked a Z move user so I made Tapu Bulu just that. Since Rockium Z covers more of Grass weaknesses such as Flying and Fire I decided to make that the Z move user. Swords Dance was the way to make up for the immediate lack of power that Choice Band gave. Superpower + Horn Leech + Stone Edge were the most ideal coverage as +2 Continental Crush takes care of what Zen Headbutt was trying to cover in Mega Venusaur and Toxapex

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

I opted to add Hidden Power [Ice] on Rotom over Thunderbolt as it allows it to cover Flying/Ground types which are immune to Thunderbolt. Lastly I slashed Trick with Thunderbolt as its an option between helping break bulkier walls with trick or having a stronger electric type stab attack.
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Recover

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick / Thunderbolt

Hope my rate helped!

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey Alpha-Harpreet cool team, I have a few minor suggestions for the team!

The EVs were changed to 252/88+/168 to make Ferrothorn tank more hits on both sides. This allows you to live 2 Ice Beams from Manaphy at +3 while still being able to live 2 +1 Earthquakes from Mega Gyarados and avoid 2 ohko from Adamant LO Excadrill's Earthquake.

I noticed that the team lacked a Z move user so I made Tapu Bulu just that. Since Rockium Z covers more of Grass weaknesses such as Flying and Fire I decided to make that the Z move user. Swords Dance was the way to make up for the immediate lack of power that Choice Band gave. Superpower + Horn Leech + Stone Edge were the most ideal coverage as +2 Continental Crush takes care of what Zen Headbutt was trying to cover in Mega Venusaur and Toxapex

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

I opted to add Hidden Power [Ice] on Rotom over Thunderbolt as it allows it to cover Flying/Ground types which are immune to Thunderbolt. Lastly I slashed Trick with Thunderbolt as its an option between helping break bulkier walls with trick or having a stronger electric type stab attack.
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Recover

Breloom (M) @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Tapu Bulu @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick / Thunderbolt

Hope my rate helped!
Hi The Excadrill I like the changes you suggested, especially the SD rockium z bulu set. Definitely going to try out those changes and thank you so much!

This is a very small rate, but I'd suggest changing Earthquake ---> Leech Seed on Mega-Venusaur.

Earthquake is useful for hitting only a few pokemon: Nidoking, Heatran, Magnezone. Magnezone is already walled by Mega-Venusaur, unless it uses specs Flash Cannon which must be handled by Ferrothorn. Nidoking is a threat, but Cradily can wall it, and Rotom-Mow can check it offensively. Heatran is hit well by Earthquake, but if it's air balloon (like many heatrans) your Mega-Venusaur set is completely walled. Leech Seed is a very efficient manner of wearing down opposing pokemon that finds use in almost any match up. Seeding an opponent opens up passive recovery for Cradily or Ferrothorn in the case you must switch, and overall compliments Grass's defensive core more effectively than Earthquake.

I hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)