Virizion (CM + SD + OO + Counters Update, GP 2/2)

Damn, I clearly was a noob when I wrote this xD

Ok, onto the changes.

Change the set's name to Calm Mind (when I wrote this, I playtested a bulkier Calm Mind set that was supposed to be the Defensive Calm Mind but it sucked).
I think Virizion needs Leftovers to be a good pivot so it should remain the primary item, even though Life Orb gets some crucial KOs.
I don't agree with the Fist Plate mention but it's not that important anyway.
Definitely add Volcarona and Chendelure as counters.
Lum Berry can be mentioned on Swords Dance AC to set up on Rotom-W.
And finally, the C&C section was awful so I'd like to read it once you're done with it.

PM me after you write the C&C section and I'll approve

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Calm Mind

Yea, Life Orb is secondary, imo, since the recoil damage really adds up, especially when facing a sand team or if it happens to get burned / poisoned against a Rain stall team. Giga Drain is the only way to heal itself up, and most players would not bring in Grass-weak mons against a Virizion.

Fist Plate is indeed an interesting option that keep Virizion's bulk intact, so I strongly support its mention.

I would remove the mention of Reflect in the AC of Calm Mind. I could see Reflect + 3 LO Atks possibly being feasible, but then it isn't Calm Mind anymore. Losing one of its 3 Atks for Reflect is simply not worth it.

I would also add HP Rock under AC if Virizion wants to better combat against Fire-types, which may be useful if the team cannot afford Volcarona to set up. Warn readers that the loss of coverage against Grass- Dragon- and Ground / Flying- types, as well as the drop in Speed IVs makes this an inferior option.

Swords Dance

I support all 3 points you listed. I actually think Lum Berry should replace Leftovers, since this is even more of an offensively oriented mon than Virizion, and Lum Berry helps so much when setting up on defensive Water-types that can otherwise burn it. It also prevents Gliscor from Toxic-stalling it.

Other Options

Remove HP Rock, since you would explain it under AC of the Calm Mind set, and the Work Up set is better off with Stone Edge.

Mention an all-attacking Mixed Set with Close Combat, Stone Edge, HP Fire, Giga Drain

Checks and Counters

Yea needs massive work.

Skarmory needs to be mentioned as a check to the SD / Work Up set

Defensive Celebi with Thunder Wave is also a solid counter

CB Bullet Punch or LO Ice Shard from Mamoswine all does an effective job at ending Virizion's sweep short. Weavile is another good check.

Gengar is also a massive nuisance against Virizion in general, thanks to its higher Speed and resistance and immunity to Virizion's dual STAB.

Espeon and Azelf are faster and can threaten it with Psychic / Psyshock or set up Dual Screens

Sun teams have Ninetales (watch out for Stone Edge) and Venusaur with Sleep Powder / Sludge Bomb to handle Virizion. Sawsbuck can revenge with Double-Edge and Scarf Darmanitan also beats it up.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I'll add all those in. As for the Checks and Counters section, I was thinking of using the one Nachos wrote up earlier in the thread, if you want me to add anything to that, I will.

EDIT: Here's the new checks and counters section. Credits to Nachos for the bits that he wrote (don't GP yet, this is purely for QC purposes):

<p>Due to Virizion's speed, it'll likely that what you'll use it counter is something that is faster and resists its moves. Latias is probably the best counter to Virizion to exist, as she is naturally faster, resists both of Virizion's STABs, has excellent Special Defense and can easily set up Calm Minds in its face. Her offensive variants can easily OHKO Virizion with Psyshock. Latios and Tornadus are examples of this and cleanly OHKO Virizion with Psyshock and Hurricane respectively. Whilst Latios takes little damage from any of Virizion's moves, Tornadus has to watch out for Hidden Power Ice or the more rarer Stone Edge, although the former will not KO before a boost. Gengar is also a good option against Swords Dance variants, only worrying about Stone Edge or Hidden Power Ice; the latter will do little and both can be stopped by Disable if need be. Alakazam is also a decent option if you're desperate, but it can't switch into Swords Dance variants. Espeon and Azelf serve a similar purpose. While Mamoswine and Weavile find it difficult to switch into Virizion, they has a good chance of OHKOing it with Choice Banded Ice Shard.</p>

<p>In terms of bulk, Chansey and Blissey wall Special sets provided they haven't been allowed to boost too much. Specially bulky Steel-type Pokemon such as Scizor and Jirachi will give it trouble. Specially bulky Scizor can Swords Dances while Jirachi can defeat it with Body Slam and Iron Head, although if luck favours Virizion, both can be defeated if Virizion is using Life Orb. Scizor can still deal a lot damage with Choice Banded Bullet Punch, which deals over 65% to Virizion, easily cutting its sweep short. Dragonite, provided it has a high EV investment in HP and Special Defense, can easily set up on Virizion with Dragon Dance due to Multiscale. Volcarona can take the time to set up on Virizion and doesn't fear it even if has a boost. Stone Edge is the only problem and that tends to be uncommon. Chandelure is in the same boat and can easily set up a Substitute if need be. Other Dragons holding a Choice Scarf such as Salamence and Haxorus will also do fine as long as they don't switch in on Hidden Power Ice. Reuniclus has the bulk to a boosted Giga Drain, and can hit Virizion hard with its STAB move or use Trick Room. As for the Swords Dance and Work Up sets, Skarmory is an excellent counter to both sets as it does not mind taking Close Combat while easily OHKOing with Brave Bird or just setting up Spikes in return. Specially defensive Celebi can take a hit and paralyze Virizion with Thunder Wave, making it much easier to manage.</p>

<p>Sun teams in general can easily handle Virizion. Ninetales is bulky enough to take most attacks from Virizion not named boosted Stone Edge and fry it with Fire Blast, while most sun abusers do not care about Virizion at all. Venusaur outspeeds in the sun and can either hit Virizion hard with Sludge Bomb or put it to sleep with Sleep Powder, all the while resisting both of its STABs. Sawsbuck outspeeds and OHKOs with Double-Edge, while Fire-types holding a Choice Scarf such as Darmanitan, Victini, and Heatran will also roast Virizion to a crisp with their sun-boosted Fire-type STAB moves.</p>

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The content of Checks and Counter is good overall

1) I would move Chandelure and Volcarona into 2nd paragraph, since the first paragraph seems to be talking about faster mons. 2nd paragraph talks about bulky counters, where Volcarona and Chandelure fits more nicely.

2) Emphasize in your first paragraph that these checks are naturally faster than Virizion, so no need to be locked by Scarf.

3) I would make an additional paragraph about Choice Scarf and strong priority checks. Mention BP Scizor and Ice Shard Mamoswine here.

4) LO Alakazam can switch into a resisted Focus Blast, HP Ice, or Calm Mind relatively safely, since it actually has decent Special Defense. Thus, I would not say that Alakazam cannot take a hit from Virizion, since that's technically false.

5) Either in the 1st or 2nd paragraph, you should mention Latias and her ability to hard-wall Virizion and set up CMs.

6) Mention Weavile in 1st paragraph.

7) Scizor does NOT set up Swords Dance for free against Virizion, as it risks getting 2HKOed by +1 Focus Blast.

8) I would remove Gengar from 2nd Paragraph, since you already mentioned it in 1st paragraph.

9) Add specially-defensive Celebi can threaten Virizion with T-Wave

10) You mentioned Hydreigon as a scarf revenge killer for Virizion, but after a CM Hydreigon would have trouble finishing off Virizion with Fire Blast. I would elaborate that Hydreigon can check SD Virizion or CM Virizion before the special defense boost.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
just pointing out that you have to be very careful suggesting Gengar as a check / counter, especially against CM Virizion. After a CM boost, and assuming that Gengar disables a HP Ice, Giga Drain does 34.35 - 40.83% while Gengar can only do 32.4 - 38.27% with Shadow Ball. Basically, with the extra healing I think that Virizion actually wins as its not 4KOed.

If Gengar has to be mentioned it should be as a counter to Swords Dance (tho even then you have a bare chance to 3KO (iirc its something like 2%) as im p sure CM beats Gengar anyway.

Pocket

1) Mamoswine and Weavile rarely hold Choice Band - usually Life Orb - I would remove the mention of Choice Band, since it's not recommended on these versatile mons anyways. Weavile would go for Ice Punch since it does not need the priority of Ice Shard to move before Virizion.

2) I am reluctant to include Chansey and Blissey as a counter to Virizion, as they do risk a 2HKO by a +1 Focus Blast, especially if Virizion is holding a Black Belt / Life Orb. If you find the need to still mention the pink blobs, caution readers that they risk being 2-shotted by Virizion after a CM, and that they are only a check at best.

3) Again I would make a separate paragraph to talk about Pokemon that checks Virizion through priority / Scarf. This includes CB Scizor, LO Mamoswine, Scarf Mence, and Scarf Haxorus. Leave Sun Scarfers in the Sun paragraph.

Nitpick in the Checks & Counters section when you were talking about Tornadus:

"Tornadus has to watch out for Hidden Power Ice or the more rarer Stone Edge"

Should be "more rare" or "rarer". Either is correct.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
1) Mamoswine and Weavile rarely hold Choice Band - usually Life Orb - I would remove the mention of Choice Band, since it's not recommended on these versatile mons anyways. Weavile would go for Ice Punch since it does not need the priority of Ice Shard to move before Virizion.

2) I am reluctant to include Chansey and Blissey as a counter to Virizion, as they do risk a 2HKO by a +1 Focus Blast, especially if Virizion is holding a Black Belt / Life Orb. If you find the need to still mention the pink blobs, caution readers that they risk being 2-shotted by Virizion after a CM, and that they are only a check at best.

3) Again I would make a separate paragraph to talk about Pokemon that checks Virizion through priority / Scarf. This includes CB Scizor, LO Mamoswine, Scarf Mence, and Scarf Haxorus. Leave Sun Scarfers in the Sun paragraph.
Chansey and Blissey with Toxic or T-Wave are very good checks to CM Virizion even LO ones. Virizion has only around 50% chance to 2hko with FB (it needs LO to do this iirc) as this is the chance of 2 FBs hitting, and so at worst the blobs will status Virizion, while at best they will simply beat it. So they are good checks!

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
QC APPROVED (1/3)

Good revamp, and i'm especially happy with how you specifically outlined what you were changing at the end of each set and your reasoning for said changes; it makes QC checking that much easier.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, go add Lum Berry to SD. Virizion can pretty much gets the KOes it needs (with entry hazards) without compromising its health, and Lum Berry also lets virizion avoid the odd Jellicent or Ferrothorn staying in and attempting to use status.

Other than that,

QC Approved [2/3]

Pocket

I trust that you will take these suggestions into consideration.

QC Approved (3/3)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry I haven't responded to this, I've been too busy rewriting the Dialga analysis. So yeah, thanks for the QC checks PK, AccidentalGreed and Pocket, I'm writing this up now.

shrang

General Kenobi
Okay, I've finished writing this. So to reiterate, I have made changes in the Calm Mind and Swords Dance sets, as well as in Other Options and Counters. Overview, Work Up and Dual Screens are unchanged, which is why I've omitted them in this thread.

This is ready for GP checks.

Tentacruel should be mentionned for the CM's counters, except a switch into a scald burn, Virizion can't do much to Tentacruel and with Toxic / Tspikes + rain dish, Virizion gonna have a hard time to take him out.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Giga Drain
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Calm Mind, Virizion takes advantage of its excellent special bulk and typing to function as a special tank. While its base 90 Special Attack might seem quite underwhelming in a tier where base 130 offensive stats are commonplace, the most important thing to remember that Virizion does not earn its keep purely by sweeping; Calm Mind Virizion is a great defensive pivot as it resists many attacking types found on rain and sand teams. If a Pokemon was a soccer team, Virizion would be an excellent midfielder, as it is able to both support the team by tanking powerful hits and go on the offensive when the opportunity arises. With the given moveset, Virizion can bust up common balance and stall cores, such as Ferrothorn + Jellicent + Gliscor. After setting up a Calm Mind, Virizion becomes near-impenetrable on the special side outside of super effective STAB attacks.</p>

<p>Giga Drain allows Virizion to feast on the many bulky Water- and Ground-types that plague the OU metagame (perhaps name a few?) while restoring its HP. Focus Blast is Virizion's only decently powerful STAB attack; although its accuracy makes it just about the most frustrating move in the entire game, Focus Blast has the power to OHKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock (boosted or not?). Hidden Power Ice rounds out Virizion's coverage by hitting Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage. After a Calm Mind boost, it OHKOes all of the aforementioned Pokemon, provided Dragonite does not have Multiscale active.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice is quite a important decision to make. Leftovers is clearly preferred as it allows Virizion to tank most efficiently and reinforces Virizion's position as a supportive sweeper. Alternatively, even though its recoil severely cuts into Virizion's bulk, Life Orb should be considered due to the sheer number of 2HKOs and OHKOs it provides. The following damage calculations give you a clearer picture of the benefits Life Orb brings; all calculations assume a Calm Mind boost:</p>

<ul class=”damage_calculation”>
<li>Life Orb Focus Blast vs 248/0 Scizor 104.08% - 122.45% (clean OHKO)</li>
<li>Leftovers Focus Blast vs 248/0 Scizor 79.88% - 94.46%</li>
<li>Life Orb Focus Blast vs 252/216 Scizor 81.40% - 96.22%</li>
<li>Leftovers Focus Blast vs 252/216 Scizor 62.79% - 74.13%</li>
<li>Life Orb Focus Blast vs 4/252+ Blissey 53.37% - 62.88% (clean 2HKO)</li>
<li>Leftovers Focus Blast vs 4/252+ Blissey 41.41% - 48.77%</li>
<li>Life Orb Focus Blast vs 252/216+ Jirachi 54.21% - 63.86% (clean 2HKO)</li>
<li>Leftovers Focus Blast vs 252/216+ Jirachi 41.83% - 49.26%</li>
<li>Life Orb Giga Drain vs 252/0 Politoed 96.88% - 114.06% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>Leftovers Giga Drain vs 252/0 Politoed 75.00% - 88.02%</li>
<li>Life Orb Giga Drain vs 252/0 Jellicent 88.12% - 104.46% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>Leftovers Giga Drain vs 252/0 Jellicent 68.32% - 80.69%</li>
</ul>

<p>As shown above, Virizion appreciates the power from Life Orb; it is therefore an option worth considering on more offensive teams. If the 10% recoil per turn (16% in sand or hail) is too off-putting, Fist Plate is a decent middle ground as it preserves most of Life Orb Virizion's OHKOs and 2HKOs when using Focus Blast without the cost of recoil. However, it does nothing for Virizion's other attacks.</p>

<p>The Speed EVs allow Virizion to Speed tie with other base 108 Pokemon, namely Infernape and Terrakion, and outspeed Landorus, to whom Virizion is probably the best offensive check. In terms of moveslot options, Hidden Power Rock enables Virizion to make quick work of Volcarona while retaining the ability to hit Flying-types. Be aware, however, that Hidden Power Rock lowers Virizion's Speed IV and removes the possibility of Speed tying with Infernape and Terrakion. Furthermore, while Hidden Power Rock hits only Volcarona, Hidden Power Ice's specific 4x coverage—on Dragon / Flying types, Gliscor, and Landorus—is generally more useful.</p>

<p>Virizion's main counters are Latios, Latias, and Reuniclus; they can come in, set up Calm Mind boosts alongside Virizion while laughing off its attacks, then OHKO it with STAB Psyshock. Tornadus outspeeds Virizion and can OHKO it with Hurricane, while specially bulky Jirachi can switch in, paralyze with Body Slam or Thunder Wave, and proceed to KO with Iron Head. Note, however, that if Jirachi is having an unlucky day with Body Slam, and Virizion gets relatively lucky with Focus Blast, Life Orb Virizion will defeat Jirachi. Pokemon that can eliminate these threats are therefore good partners to Virizion: Tyranitar can remove the Psychic-types and Tornadus with Pursuit or Crunch and Stone Edge, respectively, while specially bulky Jirachi can take everything the aforementioned counters throw at it, paralyze them with Body Slam, and heal both itself and Virizion with Wish.</p>

<p>Pokemon with strong priority, such as Scizor, Mamoswine, and Dragonite, can all revenge kill weakened Virizion relatively easily, while strong Choice Scarf users, such as Haxorus, will also take down Virizion quite quickly. Volcarona and Chandelure resist Virizion's entire moveset unless it carries Hidden Power Rock; the former can easily set up with Quiver Dance in Virizion's face and roast it with Fire-type moves, while the latter's Fire-types STAB attacks are also often too much for Virizion to handle. In addition to sponging most priority attacks without much trouble at all, Skarmory can set up Spikes to whittle down Virizion's checks. Stealth Rock keeps Volcarona in check and should thus be set up as soon as possible; Terrakion and Landorus can also easily revenge kill all +1 Volcarona.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Leaf Blade
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb / Lum Berry
nature: Naive / Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Virizion's usable Attack stat, excellent defensive typing, good coverage, and good Speed make it a decent Swords Dance user. Swords Dance boosts Virizion's relevant offensive stat twice as quickly as Calm Mind does, and thus makes it a bigger immediate threat. Furthermore, Swords Dance Virizion defeats most of the defensive Pokemon that trouble its Calm Mind counterpart. Close Combat is Virizion's main STAB as it does severe damage after a Swords Dance. To illustrate, with a Life Orb boost, it OHKOes specially defensive Jirachi. Leaf Blade is Virizion's secondary STAB and is an excellent one at that, as it smacks the numerous bulky Water- and Ground-types for super effective damage. In particular, Leaf Blade wipes Slowbro and Quagsire—one of the biggest obstacles to physical Fighting-types and stat-boosting Pokemon, respectively—cleanly off the map. Hidden Power Ice is preferred as it easily 2HKOes Gliscor, but Stone Edge is a physical option that takes down Flying-types as well. The latter move also OHKOes Volcarona, who would otherwise comfortably wall Virizion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As Swords Dance Virizion is more geared towards sweeping, Life Orb is the item of choice. With it, Virizion easily OHKOes Slowbro with Leaf Blade and OHKOes offensive Gliscor 74% of the time. Even defensive Gliscor will lose to Virizion most of the time as Leaf Blade does 54.52% - 64.41% to 252/184+ variants. However, Lum Berry is an excellent option if your team is a bit more balanced, as it gives Virizion a layer of protection from Scald's burn chance, and also lets it set up freely on Rotom-W that try to use Will-O-Wisp.</p>

<p>Psyshock variants of Latias and Latios both hard-counter Virizion as they resist both Leaf Blade and Close Combat, laugh at Hidden Power Ice, can take Stone Edge without much trouble, and can OHKO Virizion with Psyshock. Tornadus needs to be careful of Stone Edge, but it also resists both of Virizion's STABs and can OHKO with Hurricane. Celebi packs similar resistances to both of Virizion's STABs and can take a boosted Stone Edge. While Virizion detests passive sandstorm damage, Choice Scarf Tyranitar can easily trap and KO Latias and Latios with Pursuit, as well as outspeed and KO Tornadus and Celebi with Stone Edge and Crunch, respectively. If sandstorm is not to your taste, Politoed is another good teammate as the rain it summons reduces Virizion's weakness to Fire.</p>

<p>If Virizion is not running Life Orb, offensive Gliscor can easily take a hit and OHKO Virizion with Acrobatics. Skarmory can take a boosted Close Combat and OHKO with Brave Bird, but will be KOed by recoil damage if Virizion is carrying Life Orb. Toxicroak will also be an obstacle to Virizion in the rain as it resists Leaf Blade, Close Combat, and Stone Edge, and takes a pittance from uninvested Hidden Power Ice. Similarly, Forretress can sponge Virizion's physical attacks all day long and hit back hard with Gyro Ball. Mixed Salamence can lure in Gliscor and destroy it with Draco Meteor, hard-counter Toxicroak, and fry Forretress (and skarm?) with Fire Blast. Magnezone can trap Skarmory and Forretress, while a bulky Gliscor of your own can also check some of the aforementioned threats (be more specific here!).</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Virizion is a part of the legendary Fighting-type group and, as such, has access to their signature move Sacred Sword. It has 30 less Base Power than Close Combat, but it does have two advantages: it doesn't lower Virizion's defenses, and it bypasses opponents' defensive boosts; it can replace Close Combat on the Swords Dance set if the defense drops prove to be unbearable. Virizion also gets Toxic and Roar, so it can act as a special wall and a phazer with some defensive investment. Choice Band and Choice Specs sets are usable, but are generally outclassed by Virizion's other sets. Likewise, an all-out mixed set consisting of Close Combat, Stone Edge, Giga Drain, and Hidden Power Ice is feasible, but Virizion's ordinary offensive stats makes it quite mediocre.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Due to Virizion's (high? low? what about it?) Speed, counters to it are Pokemon that are faster and that resist its moves. Latias is probably the best counter to Virizion in existence as she is naturally faster, resists both of Virizion's STABs, has excellent Special Defense, and can easily set up with Calm Mind; offensive variants can easily OHKO Virizion with Psyshock as well (just to clarify, by this you meant offensive variants of latias, right?). Latios and Tornadus can also cleanly OHKO Virizion with Psyshock and Hurricane respectively. While Latios takes little damage from any of Virizion's moves, Tornadus has to watch out for Hidden Power Ice and the rare Stone Edge, although the former will not KO without a boost. Gengar fares well against Swords Dance variants as it need only worry about Stone Edge and Hidden Power Ice; the latter will do little, and both can be stopped by Disable if need be. Alakazam is also a decent option if you're desperate, but it can't switch into Swords Dance variants; much the same applies to Espeon and Azelf. While they have difficulty switching into Virizion, Weavile can OHKO it with Ice Punch. Similarly, Mamoswine cannot switch into either of Virizion's STAB attacks, but can revenge kill weakened Virizion with Ice Shard. Choice Band Dragonite can do the same with ExtremeSpeed, and other Choice Scarf Dragons, such as Salamence and Haxorus, will also fare well as long as they don't switch in on Hidden Power Ice.</p>
(perhaps split this paragraph into pokemon that can on the whole switch into virizion, and pokemon that can't / can only really revenge kill)

<p>As for bulkier options, Chansey and Blissey check special sets that haven't gained too many boosts. While they do face a potential 2HKO from +1 Focus Blast, they have a very good chance of defeating Virizion thanks to Focus Blast's accuracy, especially if they carry Thunder Wave. Specially defensive Celebi can also take a hit and paralyze Virizion with Thunder Wave, which makes Virizion much easier to manage. Reuniclus has the bulk to sponge a boosted Giga Drain, and can either hit Virizion hard with its STAB move or set up with Trick Room. Specially bulky Steel-type Pokemon will give Virizion trouble as well: Scizor can boost up with Swords Dance and OHKO Virizion with Bullet Punch, Choice Band Scizor can deal severe damage with Bullet Punch and easily cut its sweep short, while Jirachi can defeat it with Body Slam and Iron Head. However, note that if luck favors Virizion, Life Orb Virizion can defeat both Scizor and Jirachi. While relatively rare, Toxicroak can be a huge nuisance to Virizion in the rain as it resists both of Virizion's STABs as well as Stone Edge, can recover off damage from Hidden Power Ice relatively quickly due to Dry Skin, and can easily set up with Swords Dance or Bulk Up. Specially defensive Dragonite can boost up comfortably with Dragon Dance due to Multiscale. Volcarona can take its time to set up on Virizion with Quiver Dance while sponging any attack not named Stone Edge, as can Chandelure with Substitute. Finally, Skarmory is an excellent counter to both Swords Dance and Work Up sets as it does not mind taking Close Combat, can easily OHKO with Brave Bird, or just set up Spikes.</p>

<p>Sun teams in general can easily handle Virizion: Ninetales is bulky enough to take most attacks from Virizion, aside from a boosted Stone Edge, and can fry it with Fire Blast. Most sun sweepers do not care for Virizion at all either: not only does it resist both Virizion's STABs, Venusaur also outspeeds Virizion in the sun and can either hit it hard with Sludge Bomb or put it to sleep with Sleep Powder. Sawsbuck outspeeds and can OHKO with Double-Edge, while Choice Scarf Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Victini, and Heatran, will also roast Virizion to a crisp with their sun-boosted Fire-type STAB moves.</p>

shrang

General Kenobi
Thanks for the check sirndpt. As for your queries:

(just to clarify, by this you meant offensive variants of latias, right?)
Yes.

(perhaps split this paragraph into pokemon that can on the whole switch into virizion, and pokemon that can't / can only really revenge kill)
Pocket suggested splitting Checks and Counters into 1) Pokemon faster than Virizion, 2) Pokemon that wall Virizion depending on the set and 3) Sun teams

This is ready for GP Check #2.

I did an amateur GP check of the article:

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Calm Mind, Virizion takes advantage of its excellent special bulk and typing to function as a special tank. While its base 90 Special Attack might seem quite underwhelming in a tier where base 130 offensive stats are commonplace, the most important thing to remember is that Virizion does not earn its keep pursolely by sweeping; Calm Mind Virizion is a great defensive pivot, as it resists many attacking types found on rain and sand teams. If a Pokemon was a soccer team, Virizion would bVirizion's role can excellent midfielder, as ibe compared to the role of a midfielder in soccer. It is able to both support the team by tanking powerful hits and go on the offensive when the opportunity arises. With the given moveset, Virizion can bust up common balance and stall cores, such as Ferrothorn + Jellicent + Gliscor. After setting up a Calm Mind, Virizion becomeis near-impenetrable on the special side outside, with the exception of super effective STAB attacks.</p>

<p>Giga Drain allows Virizion to feast on the many bulky Water- and Ground-types that plague the OU metagame, such as Politoed, Vaporeon, and Gastrodon, while restoring its HP. Focus Blast is Virizion's only decently powerful STAB attack; although its accuracy makes it just about the most frustrating move in the entire game, Focus Blast has the power to OHKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock with a Calm Mind boost. Hidden Power Ice rounds out Virizion's coverage by hitting Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage. After a Calm Mind boost, it OHKOes all of the aforementioned Pokemon, provided Dragonite does not have Multiscale active.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice is quite a important decision to make. Leftovers is clearly preferredoptimal, as it allows Virizion to tank most efficiently and reinforces Virizion's position as a supportive sweeper. Alternatively, even though its recoil severely cuts into Virizion's bulk, Life Orb should be considered due to the sheer number of 2HKOs and OHKOs it provides. The following damage calculations give you a clearer picture of the benefits Life Orb brings; all calculations assume a Calm Mind boost:</p>

<li>Life Orb Giga Drain vs 252/0 Politoed 96.88% - 114.06% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
<li>Life Orb Giga Drain vs 252/0 Jellicent 88.12% - 104.46% (OHKO with Stealth Rock)</li>
</ul>

<p>As shown above, Virizion appreciates the power from[personally, I don't like the use of "appreciate" in this sense, but if you like it, keep it] the additional power Life Orb brings; it is therefore an option worth considering on more offensive teams. If the 10% recoil per turn (16% in sand or hail) is too off-puttingundesirable, Fist Plate is a decent middle ground, as it preserves most of Life Orb Virizion's OHKOs and 2HKOs when using Focus Blast without the cost of recoil. However, it does nothing for Virizion's other attacks.</p>

<p>The Speed EVs allowenable Virizion to Speed tie with other base 108 Pokemon, namely Infernape and Terrakion, and outspeed Landorus, to whom Virizion is probably the best offensive check. In terms of moveslot options, Hidden Power Rock enables Virizion to make quick work of Volcarona while retaining the ability to hit Flying-types. Be aware, however, that Hidden Power Rock lowers Virizion's Speed IV and removes the possibility of Speed tying with Infernape and Terrakion. Furthermore, while Hidden Power Rock hits only Volcarona, Hidden Power Ice's specific 4x coverage—on Dragon / Flying types, Gliscor, and Landorus—is generally more useful.</p>

<p>Virizion's main counters are Latios, Latias, and Reuniclus; they can come in, set up Calm Mind boosts alongside Virizion while, laughing off its attacks, then OHKO it with STAB Psyshock. Tornadus outspeeds Virizion and can OHKO it with Hurricane, while specially bulky Jirachi can switch in, paralyze with Body Slam or Thunder Wave, and proceed to KO with Iron Head. Note, however, that if Jirachi is having an unlucky day with Body Slam, and Virizion gets relatively lucky with Focus Blast, Life Orb Virizion will defeat Jirachi. Pokemon that can eliminate these threats are therefore good partners to Virizion: Tyranitar can remove the Psychic-types and Tornadus with Pursuit or Crunch and Stone Edge, respectively, while specially bulky Jirachi can take everything the aforementioned counters throw at it, paralyze them with Body Slam, and heal both itself and Virizion with Wish.</p>

<p>Pokemon with strong priority, such as Scizor, Mamoswine, and Dragonite, can all revenge kill weakened Virizion relatively easily, while strong Choice Scarf users, such as Haxorus, will also take down Virizion quite quickly. Volcarona and Chandelure resist Virizion's entire moveset unless it carries Hidden Power Rock; the former can easily set up with Quiver Dance in Virizion's face with Quiver Dance and roast it with Fire-type moves, while the latter's Fire-types STAB attacks are also often too much for Virizion to handle. In addition to sponging most priority attacks without much trouble at all, Skarmory can set up Spikes to whittle down Virizion's checks. Stealth Rock keeps Volcarona in check and thus should thus be set up as soon as possible; Terrakion and Landorus can also easily revenge kill all +1 Volcarona.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Virizion's usable Attack stat, excellent defensive typing, goosolid coverage, and good Speed make it a decent Swords Dance user. Swords Dance boosts Virizion's relevant offensive stat twice as quickly as Calm Mind does, and thus makes it a bigger immediate threat. Furthermore, Swords Dance Virizion defeats most of the defensive Pokemon that trouble its Calm Mind counterpart. Close Combat is Virizion's main STAB, as it does severe damage after a Swords Dance. To illustrate this, with a Life Orb boost, itthe combination OHKOes specially defensive Jirachi. Leaf Blade is Virizion's secondary STAB, and is an excellent one at that, as itble to smacks the numerous bulky Water- and Ground-types for super effective damage. In particular, Leaf Blade wipes Slowbro and Quagsire—one of the biggest obstacles to physical Fighting-types and stat-boosting Pokemon, respectively—cleanly off the map. Hidden Power Ice is preferred, as it easily 2HKOes Gliscor, but Stone Edge is a physical option that also takes down Flying-types as well. The latter move also. In addition, Stone Edge OHKOes Volcarona, who would otherwise comfortably wall Virizion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As Swords Dance Virizion is more geared towards sweeping, Life Orb is the item of choice. With it, Virizion easily OHKOes Slowbro with Leaf Blade and OHKOes offensive Gliscor 74% of the time. Even defensive Gliscor will usually lose to Virizion most of the time as Leaf Blade does 54.52% - 64.41% to 252/184+ variants. However, Lum Berry is an excellent option if your team is a bit more balanced, as it gives Virizion a layer of protection from Scald's burn chance, and also lets it set up freely on Rotom-W that try to use Will-O-Wisp.</p>

<p>Psyshock variants of Latias and Latios both hard-counter Virizion, as they resist both Leaf Blade and Close Combat, laugh at Hidden Power Ice, can take Stone Edge without much trouble, and caoften OHKO Virizion with Psyshock. Tornadus needs to be careful of Stone Edge, but it alsois also a solid counter, as it resists both of Virizion's STABs and can OHKO it with Hurricane, but it needs to be careful of Stone Edge. Celebi packs similar resistances to both of Virizion's STABs and can take a boosted Stone Edge. While VirizionBecause Virizion [did you mean another Pokemon? Virizion doesn't make much sense] detests passive sandstorm damage, Choice Scarf Tyranitar can easily trap and KO Latias and Latios with Pursuit, as well as outspeed and KO Tornadus and Celebi with Stone Edge and Crunch, respectively. If sandstorm is not to your taste, Politoed is another good teammate, as the rain it summons reduces Virizion's weakness to Fire.</p>

<p>If Virizion is not running Life Orb, offensive Gliscor can easily take a hit and OHKO Virizion with Acrobatics. Skarmory can take a boosted Close Combat and OHKO with Brave Bird, but will be KOed by recoil damage if Virizion is carrying Life Orb. Toxicroak will also be an obstacle to Virizion in the rain, as it resists Leaf Blade, Close Combat, and Stone Edge, and takes a pittancelittle damage [does pittance fit here?] from uninvested Hidden Power Ice. Similarly, Forretress can sponge Virizion's physical attacks all day long and hit back hard with Gyro Ball. Mixed Salamence can lure in Gliscor and destroy it with Draco Meteor, hard-counter Toxicroak, and fry Forretress and Skarmory with Fire Blast. Magnezone can trap Skarmory and Forretress, while a bulky Gliscor of your own can also wall Toxicroak while, in addition to using Taunt and Swords Dance to set up on Forretress and Skarmory.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Virizion is a part of the legendary Fighting-type group and, as such, has access to their signature move: Sacred Sword. It has 30 less Base Power than Close Combat, but it does havehas two advantages: it doesn't lower Virizion's defenses, and it bypasses opponents' defensive boosts; it. Sacred Sword can replace Close Combat on the Swords Dance set if the defense drops prove to be unbearable. Virizion also getshas access to Toxic and Roar, so it can act as a special wall and a phazer with some defensive investment. Choice Band and Choice Specs sets are usable, but are generally outclassed by Virizion's other sets. Likewise, an all-out mixed set consisting of Close Combat, Stone Edge, Giga Drain, and Hidden Power Ice is feasible, but Virizion's ordinary offensive stats makes ithe set quite mediocre.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Virizion is fast, there are quite a number of Pokemon who outspeed it whileand resisting its attacks. Latias is probably the best counter to Virizion in existence, as she is naturally faster, resists both of Virizion's STABs, has excellent Special Defense, and can easily set up with Calm Mind; offensive variants can easily OHKO Virizion with Psyshock as well. Also, Latios and Tornadus can also cleanly OHKO Virizion with Psyshock and Hurricane, respectively. While Latios takes little damage from any of Virizion's moves, Tornadus has to watch out for Hidden Power Ice and the rare Stone Edge, although the former will not KO without a boost. Gengar fares well against Swords Dance variants, as it needs only to worry about Stone Edge and Hidden Power Ice; the latter will does little damage, and both can be stopped by Disable if need becessary. Alakazam is also a decent option if you're desperate, but it can't switch into Swords Dance variants; much the same applies to Espeon and Azelf. While they haveit has difficulty switching into Virizion, Weavile can OHKO it with Ice Punch. Similarly, Mamoswine cannot switch into either of Virizion's STAB attacks, but can revenge kill weakened Virizion with Ice Shard. Choice Band Dragonite can do the same with ExtremeSpeed, and other Choice Scarf Dragons, such as Salamence and Haxorus, will also fare well as long as they don't switch in on Hidden Power Ice.</p>

<p>As for bulkier options, Chansey and Blissey check special sets that haven't gained too many boosts. While they do face a potential 2HKO from +1 Focus Blast, they have a very good chance of defeating Virizion thanks to Focus Blast's accuracy, especially if they carry Thunder Wave. Specially defensive Celebi can also take a hit and paralyze Virizion with Thunder Wave, which makes Virizion much easier to manage. Reuniclus has the bulk to sponge a boosted Giga Drain, and can either hit Virizion hard with its STAB move or set up with Trick Room. Specially bulky Steel-type Pokemon will give Virizion trouble as well: Scizor can boost up with Swords Dance and OHKO Virizion with Bullet Punch, Choice Band Scizor can deal severe damage with Bullet Punch and easily cut its sweep short, whileand Jirachi can defeat it with Body Slam and Iron Head. However, note that if luck favors Virizion, Life Orb Virizion, it can defeat both Scizor and Jirachi. While relatively rare, Toxicroak can be a huge nuisance to Virizion in the rain, as it resists both of Virizion's STABs as well asin addition to Stone Edge, can recover off damage from Hidden Power Ice relatively quickly due to Dry Skin, and can easily set up with Swords Dance or Bulk Up. Specially defensive Dragonite can boost up comfortably boost up with Dragon Dance due to Multiscale. Volcarona can take its time to set up on Virizion with Quiver Dance while, sponging any attack not namedbesides Stone Edge, as can Chandelure with Substitute. Finally, Skarmory is an excellent counter to both Swords Dance and Work Up sets as it does not mind taking Close Combat, can easily OHKO with Brave Bird, orand can choose to just set up Spikes.</p>

<p>Sun teams in general canIn general, sun teams easily handle Virizion: Ninetales is bulky enough to take most attacks from Virizionof Virizion's attacks, aside from a boosted Stone Edge, and can fry it with Fire Blast. Most sun sweepers do not care at all for Virizion at all either:, either. For example, not only does itVenusaur resist both of Virizion's STABs, Venusaurbut it also outspeeds Virizion in the sun, and Venusaur can either hit itVirizion hard with Sludge Bomb or put it to sleep with Sleep Powder. Sawsbuck outspeeds and can OHKO with Double-Edge, while Choice Scarf Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Victini, and Heatran, will also roast Virizion to a crisp with their sun-boosted Fire-type STAB moveattacks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Calm Mind, Virizion takes advantage of its excellent special bulk and typing to function as a special tank. While its base 90 Special Attack might seem quite underwhelming in a tier where base 130 offensive stats are commonplace, the most important thing to remember is that Virizion does not earn its keep solely by sweeping; Calm Mind Virizion is a great defensive pivot, as it resists many attacking types found on rain and sand teams. Virizion's role can be compared to the role of a midfielder in soccer. It is able to both support the team by tanking powerful hits and go on the offensive when the opportunity arises. With the given moveset, Virizion can bust up common balance and stall cores, such as Ferrothorn + Jellicent + Gliscor. After setting up a Calm Mind, Virizion is near-impenetrable on the special side, with the exception of super effective STAB attacks.</p>

<p>Giga Drain allows Virizion to feast on the many bulky Water- and Ground-types that plague the OU metagame, such as Politoed, Vaporeon, and Gastrodon, while restoring its HP. Focus Blast is Virizion's only decently powerful STAB attack; although its accuracy makes it just about the most frustrating move in the entire game, Focus Blast has the power to OHKO Skarmory after Stealth Rock with a Calm Mind boost. Hidden Power Ice rounds out Virizion's coverage by hitting Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, and Gliscor for 4x super effective damage. After a Calm Mind boost, it OHKOes all of the aforementioned Pokemon, provided Dragonite does not have Multiscale active.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice is quite important. Leftovers is clearly optimal, as it allows Virizion to tank most efficiently and reinforces Virizion's position as a supportive sweeper. Alternatively, though its recoil severely cuts into Virizion's bulk, Life Orb should be considered due to the sheer number of 2HKOs and OHKOs it provides. The following damage calculations give you a clearer picture of the benefits Life Orb brings; all calculations assume a Calm Mind boost:</p>

</ul>

<p>As shown above, Virizion appreciates the additional power Life Orb brings; it is therefore an option worth considering on more offensive teams. If the 10% recoil per turn (16% in sand or hail) is too undesirable, Fist Plate is a decent middle ground, as it preserves most of Life Orb Virizion's OHKOs and 2HKOs when using Focus Blast without the cost of recoil. However, it does nothing for Virizion's other attacks.</p>

<p>The Speed EVs enable Virizion to Speed tie with other base 108 Pokemon, namely Infernape and Terrakion, and outspeed Landorus, to whom Virizion is probably the best offensive check. In terms of moveslot options, Hidden Power Rock enables Virizion to make quick work of Volcarona while retaining the ability to hit Flying-types. Be aware, however, that Hidden Power Rock lowers Virizion's Speed IV and removes the possibility of Speed tying with Infernape and Terrakion. Furthermore, while Hidden Power Rock hits only Volcarona, Hidden Power Ice's specific 4x coverage—on Dragon / Flying types, Gliscor, and Landorus—is generally more useful.</p>

<p>Virizion's main counters are Latios, Latias, and Reuniclus; they can come in, set up Calm Mind boosts alongside Virizion, laugh off its attacks, then OHKO it with STAB Psyshock. Tornadus outspeeds Virizion and can OHKO it with Hurricane, while specially bulky Jirachi can switch in, paralyze with Body Slam or Thunder Wave, and proceed to KO with Iron Head. Note, however, that if Jirachi is having an unlucky day with Body Slam, and Virizion gets relatively lucky with Focus Blast, Life Orb Virizion will defeat Jirachi. Pokemon that can eliminate these threats are therefore good partners to Virizion: Tyranitar can remove the Psychic-types and Tornadus with Pursuit or Crunch and Stone Edge, respectively, while specially bulky Jirachi can take everything the aforementioned counters throw at it, paralyze them with Body Slam, and heal both itself and Virizion with Wish.</p>

<p>Pokemon with strong priority, such as Scizor, Mamoswine, and Dragonite, can all revenge kill weakened Virizion relatively easily, while strong Choice Scarf users, such as Haxorus, will also take down Virizion quite quickly. Volcarona and Chandelure resist Virizion's entire moveset unless it carries Hidden Power Rock; the former can easily set up in Virizion’s face with Quiver Dance and roast it with Fire-type moves, while the latter's Fire-type STAB attacks are often too much for Virizion to handle. In addition to sponging most priority attacks without much trouble, Skarmory can set up Spikes to whittle down Virizion's checks. Stealth Rock keeps Volcarona in check and thus should be set up as soon as possible; Terrakion and Landorus can also easily revenge kill all +1 Volcarona.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Virizion's usable Attack stat, excellent defensive typing, solid coverage, and good Speed make it a decent Swords Dance user. Swords Dance boosts Virizion's relevant offensive stat twice as quickly as Calm Mind does, and thus makes it a bigger immediate threat. Furthermore, Swords Dance Virizion defeats most of the defensive Pokemon that trouble its Calm Mind counterpart. Close Combat is Virizion's main STAB, as it does severe damage after a Swords Dance. To illustrate this, with a Life Orb boost, the combination OHKOes specially defensive Jirachi. Leaf Blade is Virizion's secondary STAB, and is an excellent one at that, able to smack the numerous bulky Water- and Ground-types for super effective damage. In particular, Leaf Blade wipes Slowbro and Quagsire—the biggest obstacles to physical Fighting-types and stat-boosting Pokemon, respectively—off the map. Hidden Power Ice is preferred, as it easily 2HKOes Gliscor, but Stone Edge is a physical option that also takes down Flying-types. In addition, Stone Edge OHKOes Volcarona, who would otherwise comfortably wall Virizion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As Swords Dance Virizion is more geared towards sweeping, Life Orb is the item of choice. With it, Virizion easily OHKOes Slowbro with Leaf Blade and OHKOes offensive Gliscor 74% of the time. Even defensive Gliscor will usually lose to Virizion as Leaf Blade does 54.52% - 64.41% to 252/184+ variants. However, Lum Berry is an excellent option if your team is a bit more balanced, as it gives Virizion a layer of protection from Scald's burn chance, and also lets it set up freely on Rotom-W that try to use Will-O-Wisp.</p>

<p>Psyshock variants of Latias and Latios both hard-counter Virizion, as they resist both Leaf Blade and Close Combat, laugh at Hidden Power Ice, take Stone Edge without much trouble, and often OHKO Virizion with Psyshock. Tornadus is also a solid counter, as it resists both of Virizion's STABs and can OHKO it with Hurricane, but it needs to be careful of Stone Edge. Celebi packs similar resistances to both of Virizion's STABs and can take a boosted Stone Edge. Because Virizion detests passive sandstorm damage, Choice Scarf Tyranitar can easily trap and KO Latias and Latios with Pursuit, as well as outspeed and KO Tornadus and Celebi with Stone Edge and Crunch, respectively. If sandstorm is not to your taste, Politoed is another good teammate, as the rain it summons reduces Virizion's weakness to Fire.</p>

<p>If Virizion is not running Life Orb, offensive Gliscor can easily take a hit and OHKO Virizion with Acrobatics. Skarmory can take a boosted Close Combat and OHKO with Brave Bird, but will be KOed by recoil damage if Virizion is carrying Life Orb. Toxicroak will also be an obstacle to Virizion in the rain, as it resists Leaf Blade, Close Combat, and Stone Edge, and takes little damage from uninvested Hidden Power Ice. Similarly, Forretress can sponge Virizion's physical attacks all day and hit back hard with Gyro Ball. Mixed Salamence can lure in Gliscor and destroy it with Draco Meteor, hard-counter Toxicroak, and fry Forretress and Skarmory with Fire Blast. Magnezone can trap Skarmory and Forretress, while a bulky Gliscor of your own can also wall Toxicroak, in addition to using Taunt and Swords Dance to set up on Forretress and Skarmory.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Virizion is part of the legendary Fighting-type group and, as such, has access to their signature move: Sacred Sword. It has 30 less Base Power than Close Combat, but it has two advantages: it doesn't lower Virizion's defenses, and it bypasses opponents' defensive boosts. Sacred Sword can replace Close Combat on the Swords Dance set if the defense drops prove to be unbearable. Virizion also has access to Toxic and Roar, so it can act as a special wall and a phazer with some defensive investment. Choice Band and Choice Specs sets are usable, but are generally outclassed by Virizion's other sets. Likewise, an all-out mixed set consisting of Close Combat, Stone Edge, Giga Drain, and Hidden Power Ice is feasible, but Virizion's ordinary offensive stats makes the set quite mediocre.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Virizion is fast, there are quite a number of Pokemon who outspeed it and resist its attacks. Latias is probably the best counter to Virizion, as she is naturally faster, resists both of Virizion's STABs, has excellent Special Defense, and can easily set up with Calm Mind; offensive variants can easily OHKO Virizion with Psyshock as well. Also, Latios and Tornadus can cleanly OHKO Virizion with Psyshock and Hurricane, respectively. While Latios takes little damage from any of Virizion's moves, Tornadus has to watch out for Hidden Power Ice and the rare Stone Edge, although the former will not KO without a boost. Gengar fares well against Swords Dance variants, as it needs only to worry about Stone Edge and Hidden Power Ice; the latter does little damage, and both can be stopped by Disable if necessary. Alakazam is also a decent option if you're desperate, but it can't switch into Swords Dance variants; much the same applies to Espeon and Azelf. While it has difficulty switching into Virizion, Weavile can OHKO it with Ice Punch. Similarly, Mamoswine cannot switch into either of Virizion's STAB attacks, but can revenge kill weakened Virizion with Ice Shard. Choice Band Dragonite can do the same with ExtremeSpeed, and other Choice Scarf Dragons, such as Salamence and Haxorus, will also fare well as long as they don't switch in on Hidden Power Ice.</p>

<p>As for bulkier options, Chansey and Blissey check special sets that haven't gained too many boosts. While they do face a potential 2HKO from +1 Focus Blast, they have a very good chance of defeating Virizion thanks to Focus Blast's accuracy, especially if they carry Thunder Wave. Specially defensive Celebi can also take a hit and paralyze Virizion with Thunder Wave, which makes Virizion much easier to manage. Reuniclus has the bulk to sponge a boosted Giga Drain, and can either hit Virizion hard with its STAB move or set up with Trick Room. Specially bulky Steel-type Pokemon will give Virizion trouble as well: Scizor can boost up with Swords Dance and OHKO Virizion with Bullet Punch, Choice Band Scizor can deal severe damage with Bullet Punch and easily cut its sweep short, and Jirachi can defeat it with Body Slam and Iron Head. However, note that if luck favors Life Orb Virizion, it can defeat both Scizor and Jirachi. While relatively rare, Toxicroak can be a huge nuisance to Virizion in the rain, as it resists both of Virizion's STABs in addition to Stone Edge, can recover off damage from Hidden Power Ice relatively quickly due to Dry Skin, and can easily set up with Swords Dance or Bulk Up. Specially defensive Dragonite can comfortably boost up with Dragon Dance due to Multiscale. Volcarona can take its time to set up on Virizion with Quiver Dance, sponging any attack besides Stone Edge, as can Chandelure with Substitute. Finally, Skarmory is an excellent counter to both Swords Dance and Work Up sets as it does not mind taking Close Combat, can easily OHKO with Brave Bird, and can choose to just set up Spikes.</p>

<p>In general, sun teams easily handle Virizion: Ninetales is bulky enough to take most of Virizion's attacks, aside from a boosted Stone Edge, and can fry it with Fire Blast. Most sun sweepers do not care at all for Virizion, either. For example, not only does Venusaur resist both of Virizion's STABs, but it also outspeeds Virizion in the sun, and Venusaur can either hit Virizion hard with Sludge Bomb or put it to sleep with Sleep Powder. Sawsbuck outspeeds and can OHKO with Double-Edge, while Choice Scarf Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Victini, and Heatran, will roast Virizion to a crisp with their sun-boosted Fire-type STAB attacks.</p>

Good work! Solid, detailed, useful article. I made a few grammatical changes, as well as a few changes I feel make the article clearer.

Hope I was able to help.

i'm feeling alright at the moment so

placeholder for feedback/stamping/maybe some additional changes idk i haven't read the whole thing yet

okay my additions are in blue, my deletions are in red without strikethrough, and comments on the amcheck are in bold black

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Calm Mind, Virizion takes advantage of its excellent special bulk and typing to function as a special tank. While its base 90 Special Attack might seem quite underwhelming in a tier where base 130 offensive stats are commonplace, the most important thing to remember is that Virizion does not earn its keep pursolely (unnecessary) by sweeping; Calm Mind Virizion is a great defensive pivot, as it resists many attacking types found on rain and sand teams. If a Pokemon was a soccer team, Virizion would bVirizion's role can excellent midfielder, as ibe compared to the role of a midfielder in soccer. It (to be completely honest, i prefer the original wording (although "If a Pokemon was a soccer team" is kinda weird lol, change that to "If Pokemon was soccer" or something). perfexionist's version sounds really clunky and mechanical imo) is able to both support the team by tanking powerful hits and go on the offensive when the opportunity arises. With the given moveset, Virizion can bust up common balance and stall cores, such as Ferrothorn + Jellicent + Gliscor. After setting up a Calm Mind, Virizion becomeis near-impenetrable on the special side outside, with the exception of super effective STAB attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The item choice is quite a important decision to make. Leftovers is clearly preferredoptimal, as it allows Virizion to tank most efficiently and reinforces Virizion's position as a supportive sweeper. Alternatively, even though its recoil severely cuts into Virizion's bulk, Life Orb should be considered due to the sheer number of 2HKOs and OHKOs it provides. The following damage calculations give you a clearer picture of the benefits Life Orb brings; all calculations assume a Calm Mind boost:</p>

</ul>

<p>As shown above, Virizion appreciates the power from[personally, I don't like the use of "appreciate" in this sense, but if you like it, keep it] the additional power Life Orb brings; it is therefore an option worth considering on more offensive teams. If the 10% recoil per turn (16% in sand or hail) is too off-puttingundesirable, (unnecessary) Fist Plate is a decent middle ground, as it preserves most of Life Orb Virizion's OHKOs and 2HKOs when using Focus Blast without the cost of recoil. However, it does nothing for Virizion's other attacks.</p>

<p>The Speed EVs allowenable (unnecessary) Virizion to Speed tie with other base 108 Pokemon, namely Infernape and Terrakion, and outspeed Landorus, to whom Virizion is probably the best offensive check. In terms of moveslot options, Hidden Power Rock enables Virizion to make quick work of Volcarona while retaining the ability to hit Flying-types. Be aware, however, that Hidden Power Rock lowers Virizion's Speed IV and removes the possibility of Speed tying with Infernape and Terrakion. Furthermore, while Hidden Power Rock hits only Volcarona, Hidden Power Ice's specific 4x coverage—on Dragon / Flying types, Gliscor, and Landorus—is generally more useful.</p>

<p>Virizion's main counters are Latios, Latias, and Reuniclus; they can come in, set up Calm Mind boosts alongside Virizion while, laughing off its attacks, then OHKO it with STAB Psyshock. Tornadus outspeeds Virizion and can OHKO it with Hurricane, while specially bulky Jirachi can switch in, paralyze with Body Slam or Thunder Wave, and proceed to KO with Iron Head. Note, however, that if Jirachi is having an unlucky day with Body Slam,(remove comma) and Virizion gets relatively lucky with Focus Blast, Life Orb Virizion will defeat Jirachi. Pokemon that can eliminate these threats are therefore good partners to Virizion: Tyranitar can remove the Psychic-types and Tornadus with Pursuit or Crunch and Stone Edge, respectively, while specially bulky Jirachi can take everything the aforementioned counters throw at it, paralyze them with Body Slam, and heal both itself and Virizion with Wish.</p>

<p>Pokemon with strong priority, such as Scizor, Mamoswine, and Dragonite, can all revenge kill weakened Virizion relatively easily, while strong Choice Scarf users,(remove comma) such as Haxorus,(remove comma) will also take down Virizion quite quickly. Volcarona and Chandelure resist Virizion's entire moveset unless it carries Hidden Power Rock; the former can easily set up with Quiver Dance in Virizion's (wat. i'm assuming this was just a mistake since you didn't make this change anywhere else, but smogon does not use curly apostrophes) face with Quiver Dance and roast it with Fire-type moves, while the latter's Fire-types STAB attacks are also often too much for Virizion to handle. In addition to sponging most priority attacks without much trouble at all, Skarmory can set up Spikes to whittle down Virizion's checks. Stealth Rock keeps Volcarona in check and thus should thus be set up as soon as possible; Terrakion and Landorus can also easily revenge kill all +1 Volcarona.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Virizion's usable Attack stat, excellent defensive typing, goosolid coverage, and good Speed make it a decent Swords Dance user. Swords Dance boosts Virizion's relevant offensive stat twice as quickly as Calm Mind does,(remove comma) and thus makes Virizion a bigger immediate threat. Furthermore, Swords Dance Virizion defeats most of the defensive Pokemon that trouble its Calm Mind counterpart. Close Combat is Virizion's main STAB, as it does severe damage after a Swords Dance. To illustrate this, with a Life Orb boost, itthe combination (i get why you changed this but i think "a +2 Close Combat" is better; i'll leave this one up the shrang lol) OHKOes specially defensive Jirachi. Leaf Blade is Virizion's secondary STAB, (no) and is an excellent one at that, as itble to smacks (unnecessary) the numerous bulky Water- and Ground-types for super effective damage. In particular, Leaf Blade wipes Slowbro and Quagsire—one of the biggest obstacles to physical Fighting-types and stat-boosting Pokemon, respectively—cleanly off the map. Hidden Power Ice is preferred, as it easily 2HKOes Gliscor, but Stone Edge is a physical option that also takes down Flying-types as well. The latter move also. In addition, Stone Edge OHKOes Volcarona, who would otherwise comfortably wall Virizion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>As Swords Dance Virizion is more geared towards sweeping, Life Orb is the item of choice. With it, Virizion easily OHKOes Slowbro with Leaf Blade and OHKOes offensive Gliscor 74% of the time. Even defensive Gliscor will usually lose to Virizion most of the time as Leaf Blade does 54.52% - 64.41% to 252/184+ variants. However, Lum Berry is an excellent option if your team is a bit more balanced, as it gives Virizion a layer of protection from Scald's burn chance,(remove comma) and also lets it set up freely on Rotom-W that try to use Will-O-Wisp.</p>

<p>Psyshock variants of Latias and Latios both hard-counter Virizion, as they resist both Leaf Blade and Close Combat, laugh at Hidden Power Ice, can take Stone Edge without much trouble, and caoften OHKO Virizion with Psyshock. Tornadus needs to be careful of Stone Edge, but it alsois also a solid counter, as it resists both of Virizion's STABs and can OHKO it with Hurricane, but it needs to be careful of Stone Edge. Celebi packs similar resistances to both of Virizion's STABs and can take a boosted Stone Edge. While VirizionBecause Virizion [did you mean another Pokemon? Virizion doesn't make much sense] (it makes perfect sense to me; despite the fact that virizion doesn't like sand, scarftar makes a good teammate because it beats this set's counters. that said i disagree with this change) detests passive sandstorm damage, Choice Scarf Tyranitar can easily trap and KO Latias and Latios with Pursuit, as well as outspeeding and KOing Tornadus and Celebi with Stone Edge and Crunch, respectively. If sandstorm is not to your taste, Politoed is another good teammate, as the rain it summons reduces Virizion's weakness to Fire.</p>

<p>If Virizion is not running Life Orb, offensive Gliscor can easily take a hit and OHKO Virizion with Acrobatics. Skarmory can take a boosted Close Combat and OHKO with Brave Bird, but will be KOed by recoil damage if Virizion is carrying Life Orb. Toxicroak will also be an obstacle to Virizion in the rain, as it resists Leaf Blade, Close Combat, and Stone Edge,(remove comma) and takes a pittancelittle damage [does pittance fit here?] from uninvested Hidden Power Ice. Similarly, Forretress can sponge Virizion's physical attacks all day long and hit back hard with Gyro Ball. Mixed Salamence can lure in Gliscor and destroy it with Draco Meteor, hard-counter Toxicroak, and fry Forretress and Skarmory with Fire Blast. Magnezone can trap Skarmory and Forretress, while a bulky Gliscor of your own can also wall Toxicroak while, in addition to using Taunt and Swords Dance to set up on Forretress and Skarmory.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Virizion is a part of the legendary Fighting-type group and, as such, has access to their signature move: Sacred Sword. It has 30 less Base Power than Close Combat, but it does havehas (unnecessary) two advantages: it doesn't lower Virizion's defenses, and it bypasses opponents' defensive boosts; it. Sacred Sword can replace Close Combat on the Swords Dance set if the defense drops prove to be unbearable. Virizion also getshas access to Toxic and Roar, so it can act as a special wall and a phazer with some defensive investment. Choice Band and Choice Specs sets are usable,(remove comma) but are generally outclassed by Virizion's other sets. Likewise, an all-out mixed set consisting of Close Combat, Stone Edge, Giga Drain, and Hidden Power Ice is feasible, but Virizion's ordinary offensive stats makes ithe set (unnecessary) quite mediocre.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>While Virizion is fast, there are quite a number of Pokemon that outspeed it whileand resisting its attacks. Latias is probably the best counter to Virizion in existence, as she is naturally faster, resists both of Virizion's STABs, has excellent Special Defense, and can easily set up with Calm Mind; offensive variants can easily OHKO Virizion with Psyshock as well. Also, Latios and Tornadus can also cleanly OHKO Virizion with Psyshock and Hurricane, respectively. While Latios takes little damage from any of Virizion's moves, Tornadus has to watch out for Hidden Power Ice and the rare Stone Edge, although the former will not KO without a boost. Gengar fares well against Swords Dance variants, as it only needs only to worry about Stone Edge and Hidden Power Ice; the latter will does little damage, and both can be stopped by Disable if need becessary. Alakazam is also a decent option if you're desperate, but it can't switch into Swords Dance variants; much the same applies to Espeon and Azelf. While they haveit has difficulty switching into Virizion, Weavile can OHKO it with Ice Punch. Similarly, Mamoswine cannot switch into either of Virizion's STAB attacks, but it can revenge kill weakened Virizion with Ice Shard. Choice Band Dragonite can do the same with ExtremeSpeed, and other Choice Scarf Dragon-types, such as Salamence and Haxorus, will also fare well as long as they don't switch in on Hidden Power Ice.</p>

<p>As for bulkier options, Chansey and Blissey check special sets that haven't gained too many boosts. While they do face a potential 2HKO from +1 Focus Blast, they have a very good chance of defeating Virizion thanks to Focus Blast's accuracy, especially if they carry Thunder Wave. Specially defensive Celebi can also take a hit and paralyze Virizion with Thunder Wave, which makes Virizion much easier to manage. Reuniclus has the bulk to sponge a boosted Giga Drain,(remove comma) and can either hit Virizion hard with its STAB move or set up with Trick Room. Specially bulky Steel-type Pokemon will give Virizion trouble as well: Scizor can boost up with Swords Dance and OHKO Virizion with Bullet Punch, Choice Band Scizor can deal severe damage with Bullet Punch and easily cut its sweep short, whileand Jirachi can defeat it with Body Slam and Iron Head. However, note that if luck favors Virizion, Life Orb Virizion, it can defeat both Scizor and Jirachi. While relatively rare, Toxicroak can be a huge nuisance to Virizion in the rain, as it resists both of Virizion's STABs as well asin addition to (unnecessary) Stone Edge, can recover off damage from Hidden Power Ice relatively quickly due to Dry Skin, and can easily set up with Swords Dance or Bulk Up. Specially defensive Dragonite can boost up comfortably boost up with Dragon Dance due to Multiscale. Volcarona can take its time to set up on Virizion with Quiver Dance while, sponging any attack not namedbesides Stone Edge, as can Chandelure with Substitute. Finally, Skarmory is an excellent counter to both Swords Dance and Work Up sets,(comma) as it does not mind taking Close Combat, can easily OHKO with Brave Bird, orand can choose to just set up Spikes.</p>

<p>Sun teams in general canIn general, sun teams easily handle Virizion: Ninetales is bulky enough to take most attacks from Virizionof Virizion's attacks, aside from a boosted Stone Edge, and can fry it with Fire Blast. Most sun sweepers do not care at all for Virizion at all either:, either. For example, not only does itVenusaur resist both of Virizion's STABs, Venusaurbut it also outspeeds Virizion in the sun, and Venusaur (i'd make this "it" instead) can either hit itVirizion hard with Sludge Bomb or put it to sleep with Sleep Powder. Sawsbuck outspeeds and can OHKO with Double-Edge, while Choice Scarf Fire-types, such as Darmanitan, Victini, and Heatran, will also roast Virizion to a crisp with their sun-boosted Fire-type STAB moveattacks. (unnecessary)</p>

Perfexionist: solid check overall, although I feel like there were several unnecessary prose edits. These changes weren't wrong or anything, but there wasn't anything wrong with the original wording either. Just something to watch out for. Also, in the future, could you please make your punctuation edits more explicit? A green comma by itself can be really damn hard to notice lol.

shrang: for the changes i labelled as unnecessary, feel free to either keep it as it was or make the change. They're both fine, so just go with whatever you prefer.

gj everyone

GP APPROVED 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)