Virizion

Virizion

[OVERVIEW]

Virizion stands out for its near-unique ability to check Mega Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, and Water-types in one slot. Virizion is able to check Mega Kangaskhan reliably thanks to its base 108 Speed and a powerful Close Combat. Landorus-T is manipulated by Virizion's presence, as Landorus-T gives either Virizion or Virizion's partner the ability to attack, unthreatened. Virizion's fantastic Special Defense lets it take on many special attackers without any investment, the Water-types primarily. Being a Grass-type, Virizion is immune to Rage Powder, allowing it to ignore Amoonguss's redirection, which can be useful. While it's not the primary reason for Virizion's usage, Virizion can provide decent support in Quick Guard and Taunt. Quick Guard can shut down the many priority-centered Pokemon of the VGC 2015 format, such as Thundurus, whereas Taunt can cripple support Pokemon, such as Clefable, as well as Aegislash, which is reliant on King's Shield.

The main limiting factor to Virizion's success is its mediocre attacking stats; both its Attack and Special Attack sit at base 90, which means that Virizion is reliant on its Life Orb in order to deal consistent damage. Virizion is weak to many common offensive Fire-, Ice-, Flying-, and Fairy-types primarily. This is only compounded by Virizion's poor coverage, STAB or otherwise, leaving Virizion no way to hit common Pokemon such as Aegislash, Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Amoonguss. These two factor combine to make Virizion very easy to check, even unintentionally.

[SET]
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Stone Edge / Quick Guard
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Justified
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is Virizion's main damage output and can OHKO Mega Kangaskhan and most Steel- and Rock-types. Close Combat, being a powerful move, will deal decent damage even to neutral targets. Leaf Blade is Virizion's secondary STAB move and will deal super effective damage to Water-types, considerably denting, if not OHKOing most of them. The third slot is reserved for either Stone Edge or Quick Guard. Stone Edge lets Virizion take on Flying-types, such as Mega Charizard Y and Thundurus, patching up its mediocre coverage; however, it only has 80% accuracy and is somewhat unreliable. Quick Guard blocks all priority moves, most importantly slower Fake Outs and Talonflame's Brave Bird. Quick Guard lets Virizion provide useful team support that it otherwise lacks. Protect blocks all attacks, allowing Virizion's partner to take down a threat for Virizion.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Attack and Speed with a Jolly nature works fine, as Virizion is primarily trying to deal damage quickly. Life Orb ensures that Virizion can pick up the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan with Close Combat. Justified boosts Virizion's Attack by one stage when hit by a Dark-type move; this ability is highly situational, but it can be useful.

Usage Tips
========

With Quick Guard and Virizion's high Speed, it can block most Fake Outs, which makes it a good lead. By being able to stop the use of Fake Out, Virizion allows its partner to get off an attack that it otherwise wouldn't be able to. This can create a lot of momentum on turn one. Because Virizion is specific in what it checks, being Mega Kangaskhan, priority users, and Water-types, it is important to play with it conservatively until these goals have been achieved. This is to ensure that it isn't a wasted Pokemon. Being reasonably fast and strong, Virizion can clean up games with some support; Tailwind is particularly useful.

Team Options
========

Heatran is capable of beating a lot of the Pokemon that Virizion can not touch, primarily Aegislash and Amoonguss. On top of that, Heatran's ability, Flash Fire, deters the use of Heat Wave and Fire-type moves in general. Suicune can set up Tailwind for Virizion, and Tailwind makes Virizion faster than the entire unboosted metagame and faster than many Pokemon with boosted Speed. Suicune's Water typing lets it take on the Fire-types that threaten Virizion. Virizion, Heatran, and Suicune make a decent Fire / Water / Grass core together. Psychic-types, such as Latios and Mega Metagross, beat the Poison-types that threaten Virizion. Latios is also able to set up Tailwind for Virizion, and Mega Metagross threatens the Fairy-types that aim to check Virizion.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========

Taunt is a decent support move that importantly shuts down Aegislash among others. Lum Berry and Occa Berry are two other potential items that Virizion can run. Lum Berry cures Virizion's status ailments, making it less weak to burns and paralysis. Occa Berry weakens the effective of Fire-type moves, letting Virizion attack more freely without risking being OHKOed by Fire-type moves. However, both items lower Virizion's damage output to where it can't OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. A special set could be used to avoid burns and Intimidate, but it would rely on the unreliable Focus Blast for Fighting-type coverage.

Checks and Counters
============

**Poison-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Gengar all counter Virizion. Mega Venusaur can 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb, while Virizion can't do anything to it. Amoonguss can take any hit from Virizion, and it will win one on one. Gengar can burn Virizion with Will-O-Wisp or 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb, and Gengar is immune to Close Combat and resists Leaf Blade.

**Flying-types**: Mega Salamence and Talonflame can both OHKO Virizion with their respective Flying-type STAB moves. Talonflame might want to use Flare Blitz to avoid risking Quick Guard, which blocks Brave Bird. Mega Charizard can OHKO Virizion with its Fire-type STAB moves; however, Charizard must beware Stone Edge.

**Defensive Type Advantage**: Aegislash and Latios are immune to or resist both Virizion's STAB types. Latios can OHKO it with Psyshock, and Aegislash can take any hit comfortably, as it is immune to Close Combat and resists Leaf Blade, and it is able to 2HKO with little prior damage.

**Fairy-types**: Many Fairy-types are able to OHKO Virizion with their STAB moves. Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can both OHKO it with Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice and take any move. Togekiss can OHKO Virizion with Air Slash and resists Virizion's dual STAB. Mega Mawile has Intimidate, which weakens Virizion's attacks, and can OHKO it with Play Rough.

**Status**: Virizion is completely reliant on it Attack and its Speed, so either burning or paralyzing it can make dead weight, provided there is sufficient offensive pressure.

**Intimidate**: Virizion is reliant on its Attack stat to remain unaltered to pick up the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan. The Attack drop can be reset by switching out, so this shouldn't be your only check to Virizion.

Virizion

Overview
########
[Pros]
  • Checks Mega Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, and Water-types.
  • Fast, 108 speed.
  • Quick Guard and Taunt support.
  • Close Combat strong STAB.
  • Good Special bulk, alright overall bulk.
[Cons]
  • Mediocre Attack and Special Attack stats.
  • Weak to common offensive types, Fire, Ice, Flying, Fairy.
  • Very limited coverage, STAB and otherwise. No way of touching Aegislash, Gengar, Latios, Mega Salamence, Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, etc.
Physical Attacker
########

Moves
========
  • Close Combat OHKOes Mega Kangaskhan, and most Steel- and Rock-types. Decent damage to neutral targets.
  • Leaf Blade, secondary STAB hits Water-types for super effective damage.
  • Quick Guard blocks priority moves, such as Brave Bird from Talonflame, etc.
  • Stone Edge OHKOes Charizard Y and hit other Flying-types for super effective damage.
  • Protect blocks all attacks, allowing for a threat to be taken down.
Set Details
========
  • Life Orb ensures that Virizion can OHKO Mega Kangaskhan.
  • Jolly nature makes Virizion as fast as possible.
  • Justified boosts Virizion Attack, but is very situational.Lacks a better ability.
  • 252/252 spread works fine, Virizion is mainly trying to deal damage.
Usage Tips
========
  • Quick Guard can stop Fake Out, making Virizion a decent lead.
  • Virizion is specific in what it checks [Kangaskhan, etc.], so it should play cautiously until it pick up the needed OHKOes or provided its Quick Guard support. Ensures that it isn't a wasted pick.
  • Being reasonably fast and strong Virizion can clean up games with some support.

Team Options
========
  • Heatran beats a lot of the Pokemon that Virizion can't touch, Aegislash, Amoonguss. Flash Fire deters Heat Waves and Fire-types in general.
  • Suicune can provide Tailwind support, and threatens Fire-types.
  • Psychic-types like Latios and Mega Metagross beat the Poison-types which threaten Virizion.

Other Options
########
  • Taunt, decent support. shuts down Aegislash.
  • Lum Berry cures status ailments, lower damage output to where the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan isn't guaranteed though.
  • Occa Berry, weakens Fire-type moves, same problem as Lum Berry and more niche.
  • Hypothetically a special set could be used but would rely on Focus Blast for Fighting-type coverage.

Checks & Counters
########
  • **Poison-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Gengar all counter Virizion. Mega Venusaur can 2HKO with Sludge Bomb, Virizion can't do anything to it, same for amoonguss. Gengar can burn Virizion with Will-O-Wisp or 2HKO with Sludge Bomb, is immune to Close Combat and resists Leaf Blade.

• **Flying-types**: Mega Salamence and Talonflame can both OHKO Virizion with their respective Flying-type STAB moves. Talonflame might want to use Flare Blitz to avoid risking the Quick Guard. Mega Charizard can OHKO with its Fire-type STAB moves, be aware of the rare Stone Edge.

• **Defensive Type Advantage**: Aegislash and Latios resist Virizion's dual STAB. Latios can OHKO with Psyshock. Aegislash will win by wearing Virizion.

• **Status**: Virizion is completely reliant on it Attack and its Speed, either burning or paralyzing it can make dead weight provided there is sufficient offensive pressure.

• **Intimidate**: Virizion being reliant on its Attack stat remaining unaltered to pick up the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan. The Attack drop can be reset by switching out. This shouldn't be your only check to Virizion.

Last edited:

Jio

God is Good
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would slash Stone Edge behind Quick Guard since its an important move for beating Charizard
Otherwise looks good, QC 1/2

Virizion doesnt really check Lando
Sure it resists eq/rock slide, but doesnt enjoy Superpower or even u-turn as Virizion's physical bulk is not great
In fact, i did calcs and Viri actually loses on 1 v 1. LO Leaf Blade is only 3HKO, while EQ can 3HKO but most of time is 4HKO, considering lando outspeeds it when its scarfed, it beats viri
and superpower is 2HKO

Last edited:
Virizion forces Landorus-T to play differently, Superpower is strong but can't OHKO and opens itself up to be 2HKOed by Leaf Blade.

252+ Atk Landorus Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 96-113 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <== not guaranteed after the Attack drop.
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Virizion Leaf Blade vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 86-101 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Manipulating Landorus-T's play style, and forcing it to go for a resisted move, switch, or risk being 2HKOed makes it a soft check, but still a check.

Virizion forces Landorus-T to play differently, Superpower is strong but can't OHKO and opens itself up to be 2HKOed by Leaf Blade.

252+ Atk Landorus Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 96-113 (57.8 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO <== not guaranteed after the Attack drop.
-1 252 Atk Life Orb Virizion Leaf Blade vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 86-101 (52.1 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Manipulating Landorus-T's play style, and forcing it to go for a resisted move, switch, or risk being 2HKOed makes it a soft check, but still a check.
Landorus-T can actually beat Viri with EQ:

252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 50-59 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- 20.4% chance to 3HKO (tiny chance, but LO recoil makes it sure 3HKO)

VS:

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 56-68 (33.9 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

It is good to note that Leaf Blade has good chance to crit, though. Also you calced Lando-I's, not Lando-T's Superpower for some reason:

252+ Atk Landorus Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 96-113 (57.4 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Landorus-T Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 106-125 (63.4 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Landorus-T always 2HKOs Viri with Superpower, also has good chance to beat Viri with EQ, despite its resisted. Due to the fact Lando can still use EQ if it sees Virizion and KO it before Viri KOs Lando, Virizion isnt any kind of Landorus check at all

Okay, you go for you're two Superpowers, you're at -2 Attack -2 Defense and have lost ~50% of your health. Then you're forced to switch out losing momentum with Landorus-T and are in the KO range for a lot of both physical and special attacks that you could have otherwise taken. That play makes no sense, Landorus-T is not worth it. You're making this a 1v1, where it is only Landorus-T and Virizion, not in your calcs I know. But, seriously in a normal situation Landorus-T gives Virizion a lot of room to maneuver or gives Virizions partner a lot of freedom to attack. Calcs are all well and good but are actually irrelevant in this situation.

I know I'm no QC member but I think it should be mentioned somewhere that one of virizions biggest merits is that it's a fighting type that ignores rage powder naturally.

Yes, I've nearly finished writing this, finals have been taking priority.
I'm not sure, it is certainly a good thing, but Virizion can do nothing to Amoonguss, so unless it's going Rage Powder Amoonguss has the advantage (depending on the partner Pokemon as well). So I don't know, the only time this relevant is Amoonguss+Khan, which typically uses Clefable/fairy, or the incredibly rare Mega Tyranitar. I'm not sure if this either relevant enough, or clean cut enough to be worth mentioning, so I would want a QC's opinion.

Yes, I've nearly finished writing this, finals have been taking priority.
I'm not sure, it is certainly a good thing, but Virizion can do nothing to Amoonguss, so unless it's going Rage Powder Amoonguss has the advantage (depending on the partner Pokemon as well). So I don't know, the only time this relevant is Amoonguss+Khan, which typically uses Clefable/fairy, or the incredibly rare Mega Tyranitar. I'm not sure if this either relevant enough, or clean cut enough to be worth mentioning, so I would want a QC's opinion.
Well i mean, it doesnt have to straight up ohko the mon beside amoonguss to be a good thing. It can ignore the redirection and get off damage on whatever mon is beside it. That's something a lot of pokemon can't do. Getting of some damage on the partner is a lot better than no damage. That's just another thing that Virizion has over Terrakion and many other pokemon. I think a small mention would be worth it.

My concern is that it is match-up based, Amoonguss will only be going for Rage Powder against Virizion if Virizion's partner poses a threat. So Virizion is pretty secondary in the situation. I mention those situations as it gives a clear reason why this beneficial, otherwise it's just mentioning a game mechanic. I also don't know where to put it in the analysis, it would probably end up in the overview, but I mention how it can't touch Amoonguss in the overview, which would be self defeating. So I really am not sure.

From using it myself, the ability to ignore amoonguss is pretty neat, but I don't think it's central, overview worthy feature so much as a neat perk. You can give it a quick mention when you write this up when you mention how it stacks up Vs Mega Kangaskhan if you'd like.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
ADD REMOVE (COMMENT)

GP 1/2
Overview
########
[OVERVIEW]
(add blank line)
Virizion stands out for its near unique ability to check Mega Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, and Water-types. Virizion is able to check Mega Kangakhan reliably thanks to its base 108 Speed and a powerful Close Combat. Landorus-T is manipulated by Virizion's presensce, as Landorus-T either gives Virizion or Virizion's partner the ability to attack, (AC) unthreatened. Virizion's fantastic Special Defense lets it take on many special attackers without any investment, the aforementioned Water-types primarily. Being a Grass-type, (AC) Virizion is immune to Rage Powder, allowing it to ignore Amoonguss's redirection, (AC) which can be useful. While it's not the primary reason for Virizion's usage, Virizion can provide decent support in Quick Guard orand Taunt. Quick Guard can shut down the many prioty centered Pokemon in the format, Thundurus for instance. Writy-centered Pokemon in the VGC 2015, Thundurus for instance, (AC) whereas Taunt can cripple support Pokemon, such as Clefable, or Aegislash as well as Aegislash, (AC) which is reliant on King's Shield.

The main limiting factor to Virizion's success is its mediocre attacking stats, both; (add semicolon) both its Attack and Special Attack sit at base 90; this means that Virizion is reliant on its Life Orb in order to deal consistent damage. Virizion is weak to many common offensive types, Fire-(AH), Ice-(AH), Flying-(AH), and Fairy-types primarily. This is only compounded by Virizion's poor coverage, STAB or otherwise, leaving Virizion no way to hit common Pokemon such as Aegislash, Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Amoonguss. These two factors combine to make Virizion very easy to check, even unintentionally.

Physical Attacker
########
[SET]
item: Life Orbnature: Jolly

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
(add blank line)
Close Combat is Virizion's main source of damage output and can OHKO Mega Kangaskhan, and most Steel-, and Rock-types. Close Combat, (AC) being a powerful move will do, (AC) will deal decent damage ton neutral targets. Leaf Blade is Virizion's secondary STAB move and will deal super effective damage to Water-types, dealing a lot of, if no damage if it isn't OHKOing most Water-types. The third slot is reserved for either Stone Edge or Quick Guard. Stone Edge lets Virizion take on Flying-types, such as Mega Charizard Y and Thundurus, patching up Virizion's mediocre coverage, howeverits mediocre coverage; however, (AC) it only has 80% accuracy and is somewhat unreliable. Quick Guard blocks all priority moves, most importantly Fake Outs and Talonflame's Brave Birds from Talonflame. Quick Guard lets Virizion provide useful team support that it otherwise lacks. Protect blocks all attacks, allowing for Virizion's partner to take down a threat for Virizion.

Set Details
========
(add blank line)
Virizion is a straight forward Pokemon in that it doesn't need a complex EV spread or have many item choices. A 252/252 sprea252 EVs in Attack and Speed with a jolly nature works fine, as Virizion is primarily trying to deal damage quickly. The Life Orb ensures that Virizion can pick up the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan with Close Combat. Justified boosts Virizion's Attack by one stage when hit by a Dark-type move,; (add semicolon) this ability is highly situational, but it can be useful.

Usage Tips
========
(add blank line)
With Quick Guard and Virizion's high Speed, (AC) it can block most Fake Outs, this makeserefore making it a good lead. By being able to stop the usage of Fake Out, (AC) Virizion allows its partner to get off an attack that it otherwise wouldn't be able to, t. (add period) This can create a lot of momentum on turn one. AsBecause Virizion is specific in what it checks, being Mega Kangaskhan, priority moves,users, and Water-types, it is important to play with it conservatively with it until these goals have been achieved. This is to ensure that it isn't a wasted pickPokemon. Being reasonably fast and strong, (AC) Virizion can clean up games with some support,; (add semicolon) Tailwind is particularly useful.

Team Options
========
(add blank line)
Heatran is capable of beating a lot of the Pokemon that Virizion can not touch, primarily Aegislash and Amoonguss primarily. On top of that, Heatran's ability, Flash Fire, deters the use of Heat Wave and Fire-types in general. Suicune can set up Tailwind for Virizion, and Tailwind makes Virizion faster than any unboosted Pokemon and many Pokemon with boosted Speed stats. Suicune being a Water-typethe entire unboosted metagame and faster than many Pokemon with their Speed boosted. Suicune's Water typing lets it take on the Fire-types that threaten Virizion. Virizion, Heatran, and Suicune make a decent Fire / Water / Grass core together. Psychic-types, such as Latios and Mega Metagross, beat the Poison-types which Tthat threaten Virizion. Latios is also able to set up Tailwind for Virizion, whileand Mega Metagross threatens the Fairy-types whichthat aim to check Virizion.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
########=============
(add blank line)
Taunt is a decent support move, which importantly shuts down Aegislash among others. Lum Berry and Occa Berry are two other potential items that Virizion can run. Lum Berry cures Virizion's status ailments, meaning Virizion is less weak to Burns and Paking it less weak to burns and paralysis. Occa Berry weakens the effectivenes of Fire-type moves, this letsletting Virizion attack more freely without risking being OHKOed by Fire-type moves. However, both items lower Virizion's damage output to where it can't OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. Hypothetically aA special set could be used to avoid burns and Intimidate, but it would rely on the unreliable Focus Blast for Fighting-type coverage.

Checks &and Counters
########===================
(add blank line)

**Poison-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Gengar all counter Virizion. Mega Venusaur can 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb, while Virizion can't do anything to it. Amoonguss can take any hit from Virizion, and it will win in a 1v1. Gengar can burn Virizion with Will-O-Wisp or 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb, and Gengar is immune to Close Combat and resists Leaf Blade.

**Flying-types**: Mega Salamence and Talonflame can both OHKO Virizion with their respective Flying-type STAB moves. Talonflame might want to use Flare Blitz to avoid risking the Quick Guard, which blocks Brave Bird. Mega Charizard can OHKO Virizion with its Fire-type STAB moves; (add semicolon) however, Charizard must beaware of the Stone Edge.

**Defensive Type Advantage**: Aegislash and Latios are immune to or resist both Virizion's dual STABs. Latios can OHKO with Psyshock.it with Psyshock, and Aegislash can take any hit comfortably, beingas it is immune to Close Combat and resisting Leaf Blade, and will bes Leaf Blade, and it is able to 2HKO with little prior damage.

**Fairy-types**: Many Fairy-types are able to OHKO Virizion with their STAB moves. Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can both OHKO with their Hyper Voices,it with Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice and take any move. Togekiss can OHKO Virizion with Air Slash and resists Virizion's dual STAB. Mega Mawile has intimidateIntimidate, (AC) which weakens Virizion's attacks, and can OHKO it with Play Rough.

**Status**: Virizion is completely reliant on its Attack and its Speed, so either burning or paralyzing it can make dead weight, provided there is sufficient offensive pressure.

**Intimidate**: Virizion is reliant on its Attack stat to remain unaltered to pick up the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan. The Attack drop can be reset by switching out, so this shouldn't be your only check to Virizion.
40th check woo~

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Virizion stands out for its near-unique (add hyphen) ability to check Mega Kangaskhan, Landorus-T, and Water-types in one slot. Virizion is able to check Mega Kangakhan Kangaskhan reliably thanks to its base 108 Speed and a powerful Close Combat. Landorus-T is manipulated by Virizion's presence, as Landorus-T either gives either Virizion or Virizion's partner the ability to attack, unthreatened. Virizion's fantastic Special Defense lets it take on many special attackers without any investment, the Water-types primarily. Being a Grass-type, Virizion is immune to Rage Powder, allowing it to ignore Amoonguss's redirection, which can be useful. While it's not the primary reason for Virizion's usage, Virizion can provide decent support in Quick Guard and Taunt. Quick Guard can shut down the many priority-centered Pokemon of the VGC 2015 format, such as Thundurus for instance, whereas Taunt can cripple support Pokemon, such as Clefable, as well as Aegislash, which is reliant on King's Shield.

The main limiting factor to Virizion's success is its mediocre attacking stats; both its Attack and Special Attack sit at base 90, (comma) this which means that Virizion is reliant on its Life Orb in order to deal consistent damage. Virizion is weak to many common offensive Fire-, Ice-, Flying-, and Fairy-types primarily. This is only compounded by Virizion's poor coverage, STAB or otherwise, leaving Virizion no way to hit common Pokemon such as Aegislash, Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Amoonguss. These two factor combine to make Virizion very easy to check, even unintentionally.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is Virizion's main damage output and can OHKO Mega Kangaskhan and most Steel- and Rock-types. Close Combat, being a powerful move, will deal decent damage even to neutral targets. Leaf Blade is Virizion's secondary STAB move and will deal super effective damage to Water-types, dealing a lot of damage, considerably hurting (less repetitive, feel free to use synonyms) if not OHKOing most Water-types of them. The third slot is reserved for either Stone Edge or Quick Guard. Stone Edge lets Virizion take on Flying-types, such as Mega Charizard Y and Thundurus, patching up its mediocre coverage; however, it only has 80% accuracy and is somewhat unreliable. Quick Guard blocks all priority moves, most importantly slower Fake Outs (feel free to reword this differently - I don't play VGC so idk what Fake Out users are the most relevant ones, e.g. changing it to 'Mega Kangaskhan's Fake Out' might be an option or w/e - but I feel it having the same priority as Fake Out should be mentioned in some way, we wouldn't want new players to be caught off guard by a Weavile or Infernape or whatever outprioritising their Quick Guard. Unless, again, Virizion is faster than all relevant Fake Out users, but seeing as Weavile has been given an analysis I'm not too sure about that) and Talonflame's Brave Bird. Quick Guard lets Virizion provide useful team support that it otherwise lacks. Protect blocks all attacks, allowing for Virizion's partner to take down a threat for Virizion.

Set Details
========

252 EVs in Attack and Speed with a Jolly nature works fine, as Virizions Virizion is primarily trying to deal damage quickly. Life Orb ensures that Virizion can pick up the OHKO on Mega Kangaskhan with Close Combat. Justified boosts Virizion's Attack by one stage when hit by a Dark-type move; this ability is highly situational, but it can be useful.

Usage Tips
========

With Quick Guard and Virizion's high Speed, it can block most Fake Outs, therefore making which makes it a good lead. By being able to stop (as it stands you're saying that the mere threat of Quick Guard allows its partner to launch an attack it otherwise wouldn't be able to; if you mean to say Virizion actually has to use Quick Guard in order to support its partner, change it to 'by stopping the use of Fake Out') the use of Fake Out, Virizion allows its partner to get off an attack that it otherwise wouldn't be able to. This can create a lot of momentum on turn one. Because Virizion is specific in what it checks, being Mega Kangaskhan, priority users, and Water-types, it is important to play with it conservatively until these goals have been achieved. This is to ensure that it isn't a wasted Pokemon. Being reasonably fast and strong, Virizion can clean up games with some support; Tailwind is particularly useful.

Team Options
========

Heatran is capable of beating a lot of the Pokemon that Virizion cannot (remove space) touch, primarily Aegislash and Amoonguss. On top of that, Heatran's ability, Flash Fire, deters the use of Heat Wave and Fire-types Fire-type moves in general. Suicune can set up Tailwind for Virizion, and Tailwind makes Virizion faster than the entire unboosted metagame and faster than many Pokemon with boosted Speed boosted. Suicune's Water typing lets it take on the Fire-types that threaten Virizion. Virizion, Heatran, and Suicune make a decent Fire / Water / Grass (add slashes) core together. Psychic-types, such as Latios and Mega Metagross, beat the Poison-types that threaten Virizion. Latios is also able to set up Tailwind for Virizion, and Mega Metagross threatens the Fairy-types that aim to check Virizion.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
========
Taunt is a decent support move, which that importantly shuts down Aegislash, (AC) among others. Lum Berry and Occa Berry are two other potential items that Virizion can run. Lum Berry cures Virizion's status ailments, making ti it less weak to burns and paralysis. Occa Berry weakens the effective of Fire-type moves, letting Virizion attack more freely without risking being OHKOed by Fire-type moves. However, both item items lower Virizion's damage output to where it can't OHKO Mega Kangaskhan. A special set could be used to avoid burns and Intimidate, but it would rely on the unreliable Focus Blast for Fighting-type coverage.

Checks and Counters
============

**Poison-types**: Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Gengar all counter Virizion. Mega Venusaur can 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb, while Virizion can't do anything to it. Amoonguss can take any hit from Virizion, and it will win in a 1v1 one-on-one. Gengar can burn Virizion with Will-O-Wisp or 2HKO it with Sludge Bomb, and Gengar is immune to Close Combat and resists Leaf Blade.

**Flying-types**: Mega Salamence and Talonflame can both OHKO Virizion with their respective Flying-type STAB moves. Talonflame might want to use Flare Blitz to avoid risking Quick Guard, which blocks Brave Bird. Mega Charizard can OHKO Virizion with its Fire-type STAB moves; however, Charizard must beware of the (or 'be wary of SE')Stone Edge.

**Defensive Type Advantage**: Aegislash and Latios are immune to or resist both Virizion's STAB types. Latios can OHKO it with Psyshock, and Aegislash can take any hit comfortably, being as it is immune to Close Combat and resists Leaf Blade, and it is able to 2HKO with little prior damage.

**Fairy-types**: Many Fairy-types are able to OHKO Virizion with their STAB moves. Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can both OHKO it with Pixilate-boosted Hyper Voice and take any move. Togekiss can OHKO Virizion with Air Slash and resists Virizion's dual STAB. Mega Mawile has Intimidate, which weakens Virizion's attacks, (AC) and can OHKO it with Play Rough.

**Status**: Virizion is completely reliant on it Attack and its Speed, so either burning or paralyzing it can make dead weight, provided there is sufficient offensive pressure.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)