Virizion (Work Up)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Virizion practically has to invest heavily in Atk to accomplish a kill on Scizor: 212 Atk EVs lets Close Combat dish 83-98%, a 75% chance to OHKO after SR.

Killing Scizor after it switches into SR twice / into SR + Spikes once is more feasible. 80-100 Atk EVs lets you do this with at least 87.5% chance of success. I think that is a reasonable amount of investment to power up Close Combat. It also provides a much higher chance in scoring an OHKO with +1 Close Combat w/o Rock against Chansey and Ferrothorn.

calcs of +1 Close Combat
0 Atk EVs
- Ferrothorn (252 HP / 88+ Def): 87-103% (25% OHKO)
- Chansey (252 HP / 252 + Def): 86-102% (18.75% OHKO)
- Scizor (252 HP / 0 Def): 67-79% (31.25% OHKO after 2 Rocks)

80 Atk EVs
- Ferrothorn (252 HP / 88+ Def): 96-113% (75% OHKO)
- Chansey (252 HP / 252 + Def): 95-111% (68.75% OHKO)
- Scizor (252 HP / 0 Def): 73-86% (87.5% OHKO after 2 Rocks)

100 Atk EVs
- Ferrothorn (252 HP / 88+ Def): 98-115% (87.5% OHKO)
- Chansey (252 HP / 252 + Def): 96-113% (81.25% OHKO)
- Scizor (252 HP / 0 Def): 75-88% (Guaranteed OHKO after 2 SRs)

Pocket

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Personally, I prefer 80 Atk EVs, because it gets the job done the huge majority of the time, while it keeps the strength of Giga Drain and HP Ice.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
While you are right Pocket about keeping the power of the other 2 moves good is important,i think that getting some 100% ohkoes with the 100 Atk EV spread is more important.
Or maybe NWO can put 2 spreads one for physically based mixed with Stone Edge and 100 Atk EVs and one for specially based mixed with HP Ice and 80 Atk EVs.

Pocket

If we go with Close Combat and Stone Edge, then I'd argue that Virizion would heavily invest in Atk, not just 100 EVs.

You're right alexwolf - 100% OHKOs are better if possible. I did some calcs against Water mons, and Giga Drain did enough to them with SR in mind, so yea, keep it at 100 EVs.

I'm late to the party but I am going to step in and say that I think even more attack is needed and SpA could stay at min for Giga Drain's sake. Virizion walls the water mons that Giga Drain theoretically can't OHKO so it can just work up a 2nd time and recover the health back....

The point of Close Combat on the set is that it has a rediculous base power and hits a lot of things neutral so every Atk point should be used. Also, I wouldn't worry about using Naive. Use Hasty. It will help you set up that extra Work Up against things you can set up on. Naive for priority is a moot point because your fucked after Close Combat as far as priority is concerned.

For Calcs:

252 Atk +1 LO Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Politoed 97-115.6%

Not that Politoed can actually do anything back to you, but yeah.

For your special moves, Giga Drain will still beat everything it needs to (or you just set up more) and HP Ice OHKOs all forms of Dragonite with SR at +1 and Gliscor as well.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just posting to say that there is a minor mistake in Pocket's calculations.

100 Atk Hasty/Naive Virizion' CC at +1 vs 248 HP Scizor : 361 Atk vs 236 Def & 343 HP (120 Base Power): 256 - 303 (74.64% - 88.34%)

So it would be better to put 4 more evs in Atk to ensure the ko wouldn't it?

I don't know if you can run double EV spreads, but if you can't, the alternate spread might as well end up in Additional Comments.

Tested this dude out yesterday extensively.

Hasty, Hasty, Hasty, Hasty. With 323 HP / 294 SpDef, it is extremely easy to get 2-3 Work Ups in. Most people switched something in and said oh shit when they saw Work up. Against rain dudes, it was really easy to just work up another 2 times til I was +3 accross the board. Hasty preserves that special bulk, which was very useful. Naive is pretty pointless because every time I killed something with Close Combat, it was either die or switch out anyway (Naive doesnt change that either).

Also, the 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe is what I was testing. The max attack was awesome. Sometimes I think I wanted more SpA, but I was always able to get 2 Work ups easily against rain teams. And HP Ice OHKOed Dragonite and Gliscor after SR at +0 anyway

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Let's just make 252 Atk/ 4 SpA / 252 Spe the main spread for the sake of simplicity. Spreads with more Special Attack can be mentioned in the Additional Comments, and either nature works because, well, Virizion won't really mind the lowered Special Defense (even with a Naive nature, Virizion is more specially defensive than the likes of Espeon and Celebi, which says something).

Pocket

I also agree with RaikouLover, that Virizion's Special Defense comes in handy for setting up; I don't think preserving Virizion's Defense just to survive Bullet Punches / ExtremeSpeed is worth it, especially since Virizion's primary offense is Close Combat.

We can lean towards physical offense, but Virizion still wants some SAtk EVs to deal with certain threats. With minimal SAtk investment, +0 Giga Drain doesn't even OHKO Starmie. I'd at least invest 28 SAtk EVs to knock out Starmie after SR / LO (88% min). 160 SAtk EVs is required to score an unconditional OHKO with +0 Giga Drain on 4 HP Starmie without Rocks / LO. 84 SAtk EVs are necessary to OHKO Landorus without Rocks. 136 SAtk EVs are necessary to OHKO max HP Gliscor. 96 SAtk EVs are necessary to OHKO Scarf Politoed with +1 Giga Drain without Rocks.

If this sets primary move is Giga Drain, then there is truly no reason to invest in physical defense(nature wise), because Virizion is generally healthy enough, to continue sweeping(that's what I've noticed @least).

Pocket

I tried to get an EV spread to OHKO Dragonite after Rocks, but to do so, Virizion would miss out on the ability to OHKO Scizor. I'm wondering if I should make the EV spread 2HKO Tentacruel though, as Tentacruel is one of the most annoying members of Rain atm.
After SR damage, Virizion doesn't need any SAtk investment to OHKO offensive Lum DD Nite with HP Ice, lol!

Give up on 2HKOing Tentacruel :(. With the spread you mentioned, the best hope is to aim for the 56% chance to 2HKO Tentacruel with +2 Stone Edge. The original spread that PKGaming suggests has a 31% chance to 2HKO Tentacruel with +2 Giga Drain. This all assumes that Tentacruel's Rain Dish ability is activated. Tentacruel can Protect-stall, but that's just an opportunity for Virizion to set up Work Up.

If this sets primary move is Giga Drain, then there is truly no reason to invest in physical defense(nature wise), because Virizion is generally healthy enough, to continue sweeping(that's what I've noticed @least).
The sets primary move is not Giga Drain. Close Combat has an obnoxiously higher base power and better type coverage. Additionally, most of your physical walls out there are weak to Giga Drain or Hidden Power Ice which further justifies its cause.

I really see no reason to use any more special attack than what is necessary. Use the amount to guarentee the OHKO on Starmie with SR, max the rest in attack and speed. Landorus isn't important since Virizion actually walls it. Gliscor's case should depend on if your using Virizion as a lure or sweeper. If its a lure, you want that clean OHKO which requires that spread PK Gaming mentioned that is already in the OP. If not, don't bother, you'll kill it when you boost anyway. AC a standard 252 Atk / 252 Spe spread and call it a day.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
I think that the current spread in the op is fine,as PK said!
Pocket said that with 160 SpA evs you score an unconditional ohko to 4 HP Starmie,so with 152 SpA evs it is almost guaranteed.We can't put more evs in SpA,'cause we would lose the guaranteed ohko on Scizor after 2 SR switch ins.
But we need to be able to ohko Starmie unconditionally because Rapid Spin Starmie commonly runs Leftovers and Recover,which means that it could be at full health when Virizion comes in to check/counter.And it would be such a shame if Virizion gets 2hkoed by Ice Beam while failing to ohko in return...

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
AMATEUR placeholder done

add
remove
(comments) syntax other

[SET]
name: Work Up
move 1: Work Up
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Stone Edge
item: Life Orb / Leftovers
ability: Justified
nature: Hasty / Naive
evs: 104 Atk / 152 SpA / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>Virizion isn't an offensive juggernaut with incredible offensive stats like a Salamence or Infernape, but its astonishing special bulk allows it to easily grab multiple boosts, and while it often fails to OHKO or 2HKO the opponent, the opponent will be hard pressed to 2HKO or 3HKO in return. This, coupled with Virizion's excellent coverage, (comma) and a blistering 108 base Speed, make makes it a potent user of Work Up. Its typing makes it a valuable asset to many teams, especially those that employ Sand, as Virizion dominates many common Rain abusers, such as Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon. What differentiates this set from the Calm Mind and Swords Dance sets is its reliability. With Close Combat, Virizion isn't forced to fire off the most unreliable move in the game, Focus Blast. With Giga Drain, Virizion gains access to a valuable method of recovery. Hidden Power Ice is the preferred coverage move, as it shoots down numerous Dragons, such as Dragonite and Salamence, who would otherwise wall Virizion. However, Stone Edge can be used to take out Volcarona while still retaining coverage against Dragons.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Life Orb is the preferred item, as Virizion has serious power issues even after a boost, although Leftovers can be useful at times. Keep in mind, though, that the extra damage dealt by Giga Drain when using Life Orb can often make up for the Leftovers recovery. A Hasty nature is recommended, as it maximizes Speed without jeopardizing Virizion's pitiful offenses or its outstanding special bulk. However, one could run a Naive nature instead to reduce damage taken from priority moves, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch. Maximum Speed investment allows the green musketeer to Speed-tie ("Speed-tie" seems a bit strange but idk if it's right or not) fellow Fighting-types Terrakion and Infernape. 104 Attack EVs allow a +1 Virizion to OHKO standard Choice Band Scizor after 2 Stealth Rock switch-ins, while the remaining EVs are dumped into Special Attack to maximize Giga Drain's damage output. Additionally However, a more physically oriented spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe can be used, especially if using Stone Edge, to juice up Close Combat. Other options include dropping to 200 Speed EVs to outpace Landorus, or going with 160 SpA EVs for an unconditional OHKO against 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie.</p>

<p>Although Virizion can trample over slow, defensively oriented Pokemon, it does not appreciate status one bit. Users of Aromatherapy, such as Blissey, or Pokemon that can absorb status moves, such as Celebi or Gliscor, therefore make excellent teammates. Although Virizion can impose its will on most Pokemon slower than it, faster Pokemon, such as Latias, Latios, and Gengar are a pain to take down. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Jirachi can easily defeat these aforementioned threats, and can also bring down the likes of Reuniclus and Celebi, who can take hits from Virizion with ease and retaliate with a STAB Psychic. Volcarona can set- up on non Stone Edge variants, (comma) and proceed to incinerate Virizion with a Fire STAB, but the most threatening Pokemon of them all is Skarmory, who walls Virizion cold and banishes it to the afterlife with a x4 4x super effective Brave Bird. Heatran, therefore, makes a great teammate. Not It not only does it checks the likes of Volcarona and Skarmory, but it also absorbs Fire-type moves aimed at Virizion. Finally, Virizion could be paired with another Fighting-type, such as Scrafty or Terrakion, so one can weaken opposing walls and open up a sweep for the other.</p>

I'm a bit iffy with hyphenation rules, so I'd appreciate it if someone better with those could check this over again.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Working on top of EPikachu's
E pikachu's comment

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>Virizion isn't an offensive juggernaut with incredible offensive stats like a Salamence or Infernape, but its astonishing special bulk allows it to easily grab multiple boosts, and while it often fails to OHKO or 2HKO the opponent, the opponent will be hard pressed to 2HKO or 3HKO in return. This, coupled with Virizion's excellent coverage, (comma) and a blistering 108 base Speed, make makes it a potent user of Work Up. Its typing is makes it a valuable asset to many teams, especially those that employ sand Sand, as Virizion dominates many common Rain abusers, such as Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon. What differentiates this set from the Calm Mind and Swords Dance sets is its reliability. With Close Combat, Virizion isn't forced to fire off the most unreliable move in the game, Focus Blast. With Giga Drain, Virizion gains access to a valuable method of recovery. Hidden Power Ice is the preferred coverage move, as it shoots down numerous Dragons, such as Dragonite and Salamence, who that would otherwise wall Virizion. However, Stone Edge can be used to take out Volcarona while still retaining coverage against some Dragons.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Life Orb is the preferred item, as Virizion has serious power issues even after a boost, although Leftovers can be useful at times. Keep in mind, though, that the extra damage dealt by Giga Drain when using Life Orb can often make up for the Leftovers recovery. A Hasty nature is recommended, as it maximizes Speed without jeopardizing Virizion's pitiful offenses or its outstanding special bulk. However, one could run a Naive nature instead to reduce damage taken from priority moves, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch. Maximum Speed investment allows the green musketeer to Speed tie Speed-tie ("Speed-tie" seems a bit strange but idk if it's right or not) fellow Fighting-types Terrakion and Infernape. 104 Attack EVs allow a +1 Virizion to OHKO standard Choice Band Scizor after 2 Stealth Rock switch-ins, while the remaining EVs are dumped into Special Attack to maximize Giga Drain's damage output. Additionally However, a more physically oriented spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe can be used, especially if using Stone Edge, to juice up Close Combat. Other options include dropping to 200 Speed EVs to outpace Landorus, or going with 160 SpA EVs for an unconditional OHKO against 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie.</p>

<p>Although Virizion can trample over slow, defensively oriented Pokemon, it does not appreciate status one bit. Users of Aromatherapy, such as Blissey, or Pokemon that can absorb status moves, such as Celebi or Gliscor, therefore make excellent teammates. Although Virizion can impose its will on most Pokemon slower than it, faster Pokemon, such as Latias, Latios, and Gengar are a pain to take down. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Jirachi can easily defeat these aforementioned threats, and can also bring down the likes of Reuniclus and Celebi, who can take hits from Virizion with ease and retaliate with a STAB Psychic. Volcarona can set-[remove hyphen] up on non Stone Edge variants, (comma) and proceed to incinerate Virizion with a Fire STAB, but the most threatening Pokemon of them all is Skarmory, who walls Virizion cold and banishes it to the afterlife with a x4 4x super effective Brave Bird. Heatran, therefore, makes a great teammate. Not It not only does it checks the likes of Volcarona and Skarmory, but it also absorbs Fire-type moves aimed at Virizion. Finally, Virizion could be paired with another Fighting-type, such as Scrafty or Terrakion, so one can weaken opposing walls and open up a sweep for the other.</p>

1/2

(the last series of changes keeps "not only....but also"--it is correct)

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC Checks: Delta 2777, PK Gaming, Bloo
GP Checks: V0x

[SET]

[Set Comments]

<p>Unlike Salamence and Infernape, Virizion isn't an offensive juggernaut with incredible offensive stats like a Salamence or Infernape, but its astonishing special bulk allows it to easily grab multiple boosts, and while it often fails to OHKO or 2HKO the opponent, the opponent will be hard pressed to 2HKO or 3HKO Virizion in return. This, coupled with Virizion's excellent coverage and a blistering 108 base Speed, makes it a potent user of Work Up. Its typing makes it a valuable asset to many teams, especially those that employ sand, as Virizion dominates many common rain abusers, such as Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon. What differentiates this set from the Calm Mind and Swords Dance sets is its reliability. With Close Combat, Virizion isn't forced to fire off the most unreliable move in the game, Focus Blast. With Giga Drain, Virizion gains access to a valuable method of recovery. Hidden Power Ice is the preferred coverage move, as it shoots down numerous Dragons, such as Dragonite and Salamence, that would otherwise wall Virizion. However, Stone Edge can be used to take out Volcarona,(comma) and it while still retains coverage against some Dragons.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Virizion isn't very powerful, even after a boost, which makes Life Orb is the preferred item.(full stop), as Virizion has serious power issues even after a boost, although Leftovers can be useful to restore Virizion's health at times, but it's largely outclassed by Life Orb—(em dash) Keep in mind, though, that the extra damage dealt by Life Orb-boosted Giga Drain when using Life Orb can often makes up for the Leftovers recovery. A Hasty nature is recommended, as it maximizes Speed without jeopardizing Virizion's pitiful offenses or its outstanding special bulk. However, one could run a Naive nature instead to reduce damage taken from priority moves, such as Scizor's Bullet Punch. Maximum Speed investment allows the green musketeer to Speed tie fellow Fighting-types Terrakion and Infernape. 104 Attack EVs allow a +1 Virizion to OHKO standard Choice Band Scizor after 2 Stealth Rock switch-ins, while the remaining EVs are dumped into Special Attack to maximize Giga Drain's damage output. Additionally, a more physically oriented spread of 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe can be used, especially if using Stone Edge is used in the last slot;(semi colon) furthermore, it gives to juice up Close Combat a slight boost in power. Other options include dropping to 200 Speed EVs to outpace Landorus, or going with 160 SpA EVs for an unconditional OHKO against 4 HP / 0 Def Starmie.</p>

<p>Although Virizion can trample over slow, defensively oriented Pokemon, it does not appreciate status one bit. Users of Aromatherapy, such as Blissey, or Pokemon that can absorb status moves, such as Celebi or Gliscor, therefore make excellent teammates. Although Virizion can impose its will on most Pokemon slower than it, faster Pokemon, such as Latias, Latios, and Gengar are a pain to take down. Scizor, Tyranitar, and Jirachi can easily defeat these aforementioned threats, and can also bring down the likes of Reuniclus and Celebi, who can take hits from Virizion with ease and retaliate with a STAB Psychic. Volcarona can set up on non-(hyphen)Stone Edge variants and proceed to incinerate Virizion with a Fire STAB, while but the most threatening Pokemon of them all is Skarmory, who completely walls Virizion cold and banishes it to the afterlife with a 4x super effective Brave Bird. Heatran, therefore, makes a great teammate. It not only checks the likes of Volcarona and Skarmory, but also absorbs Fire-type moves aimed at Virizion. Finally, Virizion could be paired with another Fighting-type, such as Scrafty or Terrakion, so one can weaken opposing walls and open up a sweep for the other.</p>

Edit
Remove

two things! [SET COMMENTS] / [ADDITIONAL COMMENTS] are capitalized, and more importantly, in set comments: base 108 Speed, not 108 base Speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)